PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo for Greasy Hair

Tori
13-01-2007, 21:24
I was wondering whether anyone knows any good shampoos for greasy hair/ any shampoos at all because i can't find any and my hair just keeps getting greasier. i wash my hair only 2/3 times a week so i'm not over washing it and i change regularly but i just finished a bottle and i can't find anymore so i was wondring if anyone knows of any greasy shampoos?
Thanks in advance :)

Pinkbanana
13-01-2007, 21:40
According to this trichologist (hair doc) blokie in my mag....you should wash your hair everyday....whatever type of hair you have - greasy, dry, combo...
just as you wash your face everyday, you should wash your hair - this chappy says. :) Maybe try that and see if it helps.

I use an organic shampoo/conditioner - MOP (modern organic products) its called. It smells lovely, oh and is good for all hair types. However, My hair tends to be dry.

Abbie
13-01-2007, 21:45
I had this problem and went through dozens of different shapoo's in the end I found one, and stuck to it. I think it really just depends on your own hair, so just try one.

CrazyLea
13-01-2007, 21:46
When I was younger, I'd only wash mine about 2-3 times.. now I do it every other day, and it seems fine... so maybe try that, if you can't be bothered every day.

Shampoo I use is Herbal Essences, I'd reccommend that.

Abbie
13-01-2007, 21:49
I do my every other day and it also works with my dancing scheme as when i have my hair tied up and Ive been sweating it gets greasy.
I use Treseme which is quite good.

Em
13-01-2007, 21:52
I was wondering whether anyone knows any good shampoos for greasy hair/ any shampoos at all because i can't find any and my hair just keeps getting greasier. i wash my hair only 2/3 times a week so i'm not over washing it and i change regularly but i just finished a bottle and i can't find anymore so i was wondring if anyone knows of any greasy shampoos?

Sometimes the cheaper shampoos are the best. I suffer with greasy hair, and Ive found asda's apple shampoo fab. Being cheaper means it doesnt have as much stuff in it, which i find better

Tori
13-01-2007, 22:20
i currently am using herbal essences. i have tried aussie ones, dove ones, lee stafford. but they work for a little while.
i would wash it everyday but it'd make my scalp really dry but i can't use moisturising ones because of the hair! and i don't have time! i'll keep looking. has anyone seen VO5 super clean shampoo recently? i was wondering where else to look!

Em
13-01-2007, 22:43
i currently am using herbal essences. i have tried aussie ones, dove ones, lee stafford. but they work for a little while.
i would wash it everyday but it'd make my scalp really dry but i can't use moisturising ones because of the hair! and i don't have time! i'll keep looking. has anyone seen VO5 super clean shampoo recently? i was wondering where else to look!

Viki I just looked into this a bit more for you, and most advice seems to be to stay away from oily shampoos as these will only add oil/grease to your hair.

Charles Worthington do an Oil free shampoo, on sale in boots.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
13-01-2007, 22:50
According to this trichologist (hair doc) blokie in my mag....you should wash your hair everyday....whatever type of hair you have - greasy, dry, combo...
just as you wash your face everyday, you should wash your hair - this chappy says. :) Maybe try that and see if it helps.
No way :eek: It gets rid of the natural oils in your hair!! :eek: Your meant to let it get greasy once in a while as it's good for your hair.

Erm Head & Shoulders seem to do an okay one?

I wash my hair every other day :D x

LostVoodoo
13-01-2007, 23:22
Sometimes the cheaper shampoos are the best. I suffer with greasy hair, and Ive found asda's apple shampoo fab. Being cheaper means it doesnt have as much stuff in it, which i find better
VERY true! i'm a natural grease bucket, and quite often the cheaper the shampoo the better. my big reccomendation is Sunsilk shampoo for greasy hair, it comes in the pale blue bottle and its fab and uber cheap. also Lush Jumping Juniper shampoo bars (the purple ones) are quite good, but not as cheap ;)

Kim
14-01-2007, 00:43
I'd reccommend V05. I only wash my hair when I have the time, so it can get really greasy. With Pantenne and wash and go etc, it's greasy 2 days after it's been washed.

Abigail
14-01-2007, 01:26

I find any sunsilk products are great for hair, the best I have come across. Try the one for greasy hair. There's a shampoo and a spray for after you wash it to keep hair from getting greasy too quickly. Light blue bottle. Best thing is they are only £2 for shampoo/conditioner and a little bit more for sprays and leave in conditioners.

Abi
14-01-2007, 01:51
If you try to avoid using extra products for 2 weeks or so, and just shampoo and condition your hair, then you'll find it improves. Use something like Sunsilk shampoo and conditioner (Always use seperate ones, never 2 in 1s, they're murder for making it greasy), then after 1-2 weeks, start using any products that you already use, again. You should notice an improvement then :)

Tori
14-01-2007, 09:42
thanks for all your advice :) i'll be down to boots tomorrow to find some other shampoo :) i've never heard of the sunsilk for greasy hair one, i'll look into that! hopefully it'll be fine and i can use conditioner because at the moment i can't use shampoo as it makes it even more greasier before i've even got out of the shower! thanks :)

Abigail
14-01-2007, 13:14
Only put conditioner on your ends, never on the roots and crown. Just makes it get greasy quicker.

di marco
14-01-2007, 15:15
i just use sainsburys own make stuff, i find thats really good. i wash my hair every 2 or 3 days unless it doesnt look greasy and then i leave it for even longer lol cos im too lazy to wash it if it doesnt need doing!

No way :eek: It gets rid of the natural oils in your hair!! :eek: Your meant to let it get greasy once in a while as it's good for your hair.

Erm Head & Shoulders seem to do an okay one?

I wash my hair every other day :D x

yeh i thought that you were meant to try and wash it less than every day cos i read somewhere that the more you wash your hair the greasier it gets

Pinkbanana
14-01-2007, 15:35
i just use sainsburys own make stuff, i find thats really good. i wash my hair every 2 or 3 days unless it doesnt look greasy and then i leave it for even longer lol cos im too lazy to wash it if it doesnt need doing!

yeh i thought that you were meant to try and wash it less than every day cos i read somewhere that the more you wash your hair the greasier it gets

Philip Kingsley - one of the top trichologists (has loads of celeb clients, and he looks a bit like yoda) says...

How often should I shampoo my hair?

PK: Shampooing daily is best. After all, you wash your face every day and you know how dirty that gets. Also, hair looks best when it's freshly shampooed - if it doesn't, you're not doing it correctly or you're using the wrong products.

BTW he has his own haircare range too!

anna42hmr
05-05-2007, 18:57
i would wash it everyday but it'd make my scalp really dry but i can't use moisturising ones because of the hair! and i don't have time! !

i am like that, i sometimes get excema in my hairline, and because of the hair i cant treat it with creams, so washing my hair everyday makes it worse (as i did do that for a while)

i currently use a shampoo l'oreal elvive for greasy hair, cant remember what it is called but it is in a blue bottle

another good trick if your hair is greasy and you dont have time to wash it, is to use talcum powder in your hair, put a bit in your hands, rub them together, then rub you hands over your hair, and then comb it through, as it dries the grease out and you cant see the talc in you hair at all

Abigail
05-05-2007, 20:05
another good trick if your hair is greasy and you dont have time to wash it, is to use talcum powder in your hair, put a bit in your hands, rub them together, then rub you hands over your hair, and then comb it through, as it dries the grease out and you cant see the talc in you hair at all

I heard they do that in hospital to people who are really ill and can't get out of bed. Does it work the same way as dry shampoo? I keep meaning to get some but it's expensive.

anna42hmr
05-05-2007, 20:11

I heard they do that in hospital to people who are really ill and can't get out of bed. Does it work the same way as dry shampoo? I keep meaning to get some but it's expensive.

i have never used dry shampoo, but my mum did years ago, and reckons it is as good. i find it a godsend, especially if i dont have time to wash it before work, and it is cheap to as you can buy a bottle of talc for a quid, and you dont need much of it, i have had the same bottle of talc for several months now (300 g bottle) and there is still tonnes in it, give it a go, it is worth a try, at the end of the day, if using talc does not work for you what have you lost.

but i am sure it will, one of the girls at work suggested it to us months ago, and now a lot of us in the office use the trick, and everyone has said the talc dries the grease up,

Tori
05-05-2007, 20:12
i haven't seen the l'oreal shampoo for greasy hair but i'll look out for it. at the moment i'm using dove for greasy hair, but unfortunately they don't sell it in england, along with the heerbal essences i occasionally use!

Abigail
05-05-2007, 20:46
I use sunsilk shampoo "for hair that gets greasy too quickly." Works for upto 48hrs. Try alternating your shampoo so your hair doesn't get used to one thing.

Abigail
05-05-2007, 20:48

i have never used dry shampoo, but my mum did years ago, and reckons it is as good. i find it a godsend, especially if i dont have time to wash it before work, and it is cheap to as you can buy a bottle of talc for a quid, and you dont need much of it, i have had the same bottle of talc for several months now (300 g bottle) and there is still tonnes in it, give it a go, it is worth a try, at the end of the day, if using talc does not work for you what have you lost.

but i am sure it will, one of the girls at work suggested it to us months ago, and now a lot of us in the office use the trick, and everyone has said the talc dries the grease up,

Strange question but do you use scented talc or just the normal stuff?
I think I'll try it tomorrow :) thanks

Tori
05-05-2007, 20:52
yeah, i used to use that and i'll go back to it soon, but i went to germany and the water was different so it completely wrecked my hair (it went so dry it was unbelievable!!!)

anna42hmr
05-05-2007, 20:54

Strange question but do you use scented talc or just the normal stuff?
I think I'll try it tomorrow :) thanks

i have used both, but i prefer the non scented ones, as for some reason, my hair sometimes gets full of static with the scented ones, i am assuming it is something they use to scent them, i usually use either the johnsons baby powder one, or imperial leather talcs, (oh and a great thing about the johnsons ones, is that if you look around in boots and superdrug etc in the travel section, as well as the huge bottles, they also do ones of only 100g. which are great for taking on holiday with you or leaving in your desk at work (several of us at work have been known to use it in the work loos just before a night out)

Abbie
05-05-2007, 21:53
Try alternating your shampoo so your hair doesn't get used to one thing.
I did that once but it made things worse, it may just depend on your hair

Abigail
06-05-2007, 16:54
i have used both, but i prefer the non scented ones, as for some reason, my hair sometimes gets full of static with the scented ones, i am assuming it is something they use to scent them, i usually use either the johnsons baby powder one, or imperial leather talcs, (oh and a great thing about the johnsons ones, is that if you look around in boots and superdrug etc in the travel section, as well as the huge bottles, they also do ones of only 100g. which are great for taking on holiday with you or leaving in your desk at work (several of us at work have been known to use it in the work loos just before a night out)

Tried it this morning with scented talc. It kinda worked. It's not as greasy as it was when I got up and it's got better as the day has gone on. Smells better than greasy hair anyway :) Think I need a bit more practice.
How much should I put on it and where? I have shoulder length hair.

anna42hmr
06-05-2007, 21:03

Tried it this morning with scented talc. It kinda worked. It's not as greasy as it was when I got up and it's got better as the day has gone on. Smells better than greasy hair anyway :) Think I need a bit more practice.
How much should I put on it and where? I have shoulder length hair.

i tend to put a small amount (aprox a tea spoon) on my hands, rub them together, and then rub my hands on the top of my hair by the roots, and rub over that area, as that is generally where it is greasiest for me, i then put about the same amount in my hand again, and then run it through the rest of my hair (i sometimes find it is a better effect if you have your head upside down and run it through the underneath of the hair as well, and although the talc is obvious at this time, i then use a brush or comb and comb it through so it is no longer obvious, once that is done i check to see if there is any where i have missed and put a tiny amount on that area and comb it through my hair.

angelblue
07-05-2007, 21:58
Hey I did have the same problem up to two weeks ago I would wash my hair on the Wednesday and would have to wash it again Friday morning because my hair would get itchy and uncomfortable and greasy.

So now I am using a shampoo called Vosene and I am not using conditioner either it has no chemicals in it or it relaxes the hair i recommend it :)

Abigail
28-05-2007, 22:22
A friend told me a few years ago that if you don't wash your hair for 10 days it starts to clean itself. Is this true?

Pinkbanana
28-05-2007, 23:25
A friend told me a few years ago that if you don't wash your hair for 10 days it starts to clean itself. Is this true?

I personally would not have thought so...but then again, Im no trichologist...:searchme: I have always been told that you should wash your hair everyday...

Jelly belly you could always give it a go (not washing your hair for several weeks) and report back to us...:)

Jojo
29-05-2007, 08:17

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/newscomment.html?in_article_id=389636&in_page_id=1787

The above is an article in the Daily Mail, where reporter/journalist, Andrew Marr admits that he no longer washes his hair. People with dreadlocks also don't wash their hair, they simple rinse with some water, don't use shampoo and thats it.

Some articles state within a few weeks, others a couple of months (so they could in essence mean the same time scale) but it does happen...

:)

I was always told washing your hair every day strips it of its essential oils, and therefore you shouldn't feel you HAVE to wash it more than every couple of days, unless you are a complete greasemonger that is :D

Kim
29-05-2007, 14:54
I wouldn't think it does, but I think after a point, it doesn't get any worse. There's this woman that I find standing outside the same supermarket every time in the next town, and she hasn't washed her hair for years. It looks disgusting, but I haven't noticed that it's got any worse.

xTanya
29-05-2007, 17:42
It doesn't they did an experiment on this morning once and the womans hair just continued to get greasy lol.

My hair is pretty greasy I used to wash it everyday but now I do it every other day and it does look better than it used to after not washing it so it can train itself not to get so greasy

Pinkbanana
29-05-2007, 18:41
I think its down the individual about the frequency of washing the ol' locks...:)

My hair is kind of combination and I wash it everyday because I use styling products on it, and it would look a total mess if I didnt. :o

Also this 'top' trichologist fella to the stars (Victoria Beckham goes to him...:rolleyes: ) says that just like you wash your face everyday, you should wash your hair everyday. Though I guess its what works for you personally that counts at the end of the day. :D

Abigail
29-05-2007, 19:53

I personally would not have thought so...but then again, Im no trichologist...:searchme: I have always been told that you should wash your hair everyday...

Jelly belly you could always give it a go (not washing your hair for several weeks) and report back to us...:)

Seeing as I'm on study leave and I haven't felt too good over the past few days, I haven't washed it for 5/6 days. It was propper greasy and I couldn't put up with it any more so my mum helped me wash it this morning. It took ages for all the grease to come out and it's still a bit greasy now.

I wonder how people with dreads manange to keep their hair grease free. It always looks so clean whenever I see someone with them.

Jojo
29-05-2007, 19:56
Apparently its where bits of hair break off and just sit within the dreads JB, from what I've read anyway

Chloe O'brien
31-05-2007, 20:57
About fifteen years ago I got my hair put in tiny pleats. It took about 8 hours to do but it lasted for 6 months it was great for the summer when going abroad as I didn't have to bother with hairdryers or styling products. I used to wash my hair every couple of days anyway. After six months I took the pleats out and there was about six inches of dead hair that came out but my hair was so soft and shiny that you wouldn't think it hadn't been washed properly for that time. So I guess it can be true that through time your own oils help repair your head. Though saying that my head was ichy for days afterwards.

di marco
16-07-2007, 15:58

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/newscomment.html?in_article_id=389636&in_page_id=1787

The above is an article in the Daily Mail, where reporter/journalist, Andrew Marr admits that he no longer washes his hair. People with dreadlocks also don't wash their hair, they simple rinse with some water, don't use shampoo and thats it.

Some articles state within a few weeks, others a couple of months (so they could in essence mean the same time scale) but it does happen...

:)

I was always told washing your hair every day strips it of its essential oils, and therefore you shouldn't feel you HAVE to wash it more than every couple of days, unless you are a complete greasemonger that is :D

yeh i read that somewhere too. apparently it will go really really greasy to start with but after that the natural oils in your hair will start to clean itself. my mum said she read somewhere that if you had never washed your hair from when you were born (only with warm water) then it would never get greasy, but cos of little kids getting stuff stuck in their hair and cos of going in swimming pools and so having to use shampoo to get out the chlorine, your hair reacts to the shampoo and so depends on it to keep your hair from getting greasy. dont know if ive explained that too well but apparently it should work but cos our lifestyles will require us to use shampoo even on occassions this would never happen properly

di marco
16-07-2007, 16:01

i might sound really stupid, but whats this dry shampoo stuff? does it work the same as if you washed your hair with normal shampoo? would you use it alternatively with normal shampoo or could you use it instead of? not that im disgusting and dont want to wash my hair lol just that my hairs curly so i straighten my hair everytime i wash it which takes ages

Abigail
17-07-2007, 22:08

i might sound really stupid, but whats this dry shampoo stuff? does it work the same as if you washed your hair with normal shampoo? would you use it alternatively with normal shampoo or could you use it instead of? not that im disgusting and dont want to wash my hair lol just that my hairs curly so i straighten my hair everytime i wash it which takes ages

Its just an alternative to normal shampoo. If you don't have time to wash your hair properly or are going camping or whatever you can use it instead. Its just like talc and you rub it in then brush it out. Its not recommended for every day use though. It works the same way as normal shampoo (I think, I've never actually used it).