PDA

View Full Version : School leaving age set to be 18

Jojo
12-01-2007, 23:18
Young people will be required to stay in school, training or workplace training until the age of 18.

The Department for Education and Skills has confirmed plans to raise the school leaving age in England by 2013.

This will not mean that pupils have to stay in the classroom or continue with academic lessons - but they will have to continue to receive training.

It would mean raising the leaving age for the first time since 1972, when it was raised to the present 16 years old.

The proposals would seek to tackle the problem of young people leaving education without qualifications or workplace skills.

Despite repeated efforts to tackle this stubborn problem - the most recent figures for England showed that 11% of 16 to 18 year olds are still outside education, training or work.

Enforcement

At present, 76% of this age group are in education or receiving training - which will mean that the remainder will either have to begin workplace training or return to further education.

Plans for funding and implementation are reported to have been drawn up in meetings between the education department, the Treasury, business representatives and head teachers' leaders.

Proposals for the changes are expected to be published in the spring.

Among the examples of how this might be enforced is a scheme in Canada, where under-18 year olds cannot get a driving licence without proof that they are in education or training.

And the education department already offers young people financial incentives - the educational maintenance allowances (EMAs) - to help them stay in education beyond the age of 16.

'Inevitable'

The Education Secretary Alan Johnson told The Times that it was "repellent that a youngster of 16 is not getting any training".

Reflecting on his own experience, Mr Johnson said: "I regret not staying on in education... when I left school there were loads of jobs you could could walk into without qualifications. That's not going to be the case in the future."

John Dunford, head of the Association for School and College and Leaders, cautioned that "we need to be clear that this is not strictly about raising the 'school' leaving age, but about keeping young people in some kind of education or training until they are 18, most of them full-time, including apprenticeships and work-based training".

Steve Sinnott, leader of the National Union of Teachers said that the move was "inevitable".

"We cannot afford to neglect those young people who currently leave school at 16 unprepared for the rigour and demands of life in the 21st Century."

pookie1968uk
13-01-2007, 08:51
i think it is probably a good idea. most are staying in education till they are at least 18 these days anyway and it will stop those at 16 who normally drop out of school just to do nothing but claim benefits.

Footie_Chick
13-01-2007, 12:39
Yeah i agree, even if they go to college and do a placement course as that means you'll be out working but still going in to college a couple of hours a week, theres a name for this but i can't remeber what it's called.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
13-01-2007, 12:50
I was thinking to myself I hope it's not raised this year/next year but then realised it's actually better!! Now I'm quite upset it's not!! I think it's a really good decision to make :)

Tori
13-01-2007, 13:26
I think it's good because then we'll have a better trained workforce, and people will be skilled to do other jobs. it also means people can't leave without GCSEs, from either dropping out before them or from just failing because they will have to be taken

Abbie
13-01-2007, 15:37
I think its a good idea, I already know that Im going to carry on my education beyond the age of 16.

Abi
13-01-2007, 15:48
Pretty much everyone i know carried on in some kind of education, anyway. A couple of my friends got kicked out of college, so some kind of law to make them have to be in some kind of education, would have helped them out a bit. As it is, one of them works in Pizza Hut, and the other sleeps all day, and they'll have to do that untill September, when they can apply for another college.

At least if this was law now, the college might have been more leaniant, rather than kicking people out because they're ill.

Katy
13-01-2007, 16:18
It seems a good idea that they get to do courses to the age of 18. Academically people dont like staying in school and its why they muck about. It will save a lot of people leaving at 16 as they cant be bothered getting anything else to do.

Abbie
13-01-2007, 18:12
It seems a good idea that they get to do courses to the age of 18. Academically people dont like staying in school and its why they muck about. It will save a lot of people leaving at 16 as they cant be bothered getting anything else to do.

I know i think its a shame those who dont caryy on, unless they have another plan to follow, however with the likes of people in my school they dont and just end up like you said 'muck about'.

Abigail
13-01-2007, 19:14
Yeah i agree, even if they go to college and do a placement course as that means you'll be out working but still going in to college a couple of hours a week, theres a name for this but i can't remeber what it's called.

Apprenticeship?

Just to put a negative spin of things...

I think its a good idea but the economy will always need people for low paid jobs like shelf filling etc. Its alright the government saying everybody has to stay in some form of education until 18 but not everyone is suited to education, apprenticships etc. Not everybody has the "intelligence" to stay on in education, if you get my drift, can't think of another word instead of intelligence.

Theres also the people who have difficulty interacting with people or learning difficulties such as Asperger's, autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia etc. Some of them wouldn't benefit from spending another 2 years in some form of education.

There's always gona be those people you just can't do nothing with, like the ones who get kicked out of school at 14 then go to another one and get kicked out of that (I know a few) or get an ASBO and keep breaking it until they end up inside (know a few of those as well).

But apart from that I think it's a good idea :thumbsup: