PDA

View Full Version : Ruth Kelly defends Private School Decision

Jojo
08-01-2007, 22:43
Ex-Education Secretary Ruth Kelly has defended her decision to send her son, who has "substantial learning difficulties", to a private school.

She said she had removed her son from a state school after professional advice recommended he be placed in a school "able to meet his particular needs".

Ms Kelly said the local authority had accepted the advice, but she had not asked for any help with the cost.

She said: "I, like any mother, want to do the right thing for my son."

'Difficult choices'

It is understood Ms Kelly's son has dyslexia.

She said: "I appreciate that some will disagree with my decision. I understand why, but we all face difficult choices as parents."

Ms Kelly added that her three other children continued to be educated at state schools, and it had been her intention for her son to do so.

He would remain at the £15,000-a-year private school for "a couple of years before he begins at a state secondary school".

Council confidence

Ms Kelly said it was not uncommon for pupils with substantial learning difficulties to spend some time outside the state sector to help them progress.

"Sometimes this is paid for by the local authority. In my case, I have not and will not seek the help of the local authority in meeting these costs," Ms Kelly said.

Although she did not say where her son had attended school, Tower Hamlets Council issued a statement about its special needs provision.

It reads: "We are confident that our schools are well resourced and provide high quality education for all learners, including those with special needs."

The issue of private education has long been controversial within the Labour Party.

Tony Blair's official spokesman declined to talk specifically about Ms Kelly's child.

But he said the prime minister "supports absolutely" a parent's right to decide on schools regardless of what their job is, and that there should be a "mix of provision" of state and private schooling.

He denied there was a policy of closing special needs schools, adding: "The rate of closure has slowed down under this government."

'Personal decision'

Labour's Chief Whip Jacqui Smith said "the vast majority of people in Parliament and in the country" understood that doing "the right thing for the child" was the most important thing for parents.

Education Secretary Alan Johnson said: "At the heart of this there's a child with educational needs... so it's a very much a personal decision based on a whole set of complex areas."

But Labour MP Barry Sheerman, chairman of the Commons education select committee, said: "The state system at its best should be able to provide for every kind of special education need - but at the moment in some parts of the country that's not true."

London's schools commissioner Tim Brighouse said it was "incumbent" on those in the state education sector "to set a personal example".

Conservative leader David Cameron, whose son attends a state special needs school, said: "We all have to make the decisions as parents first, not as politicians. Ruth Kelly is a parent first and foremost."

Liberal Democrat education spokeswoman Sarah Teather said: "It's unfair to criticise a parent for choices they make for their individual child."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it just me, or why is such a fuss being made about this whole situation and people calling her a hypocrit, just because she hasn't sent her son to state school? I would do whatever I felt was best for my son and she is no doubt doing the same.

What is the problem with this?!

Abi
08-01-2007, 22:48
She was the Secretary for Eduction, it goes against what she was working for, as well as part of the Labour Work. I mean, it is hyprocritic, but its not like shes gone against the whole of the Cabinet to an extreme amount, and cause it to lose Collective Responsibility or anything, so people are just blowing it out of proportion, i reckon. And shes not even Secretary for Eduction anymore...

Jojo
08-01-2007, 22:51
Exactly. Plus, in a sense, its not as if all of her children are privately schooled. I just think it comes to something when someone who isn't in a position anymore, isn't able to do what they feel is best for their child without coming under scrutiny from everyone about it

Em
08-01-2007, 22:57
Exactly. Plus, in a sense, its not as if all of her children are privately schooled. I just think it comes to something when someone who isn't in a position anymore, isn't able to do what they feel is best for their child without coming under scrutiny from everyone about it

I totally agree Emz ... yes I can see why she is being called a hypocrite however surely she is acting for the best interest of her child .. which everyone woudl do if they could.

If my child had learning difficulties your damn right i would send him to private school if I can afford it .. lets face it no matter how good our schools are they wont compare with private schools, and the individual attention they would receive there.

And as you said Em, its not like she sends all her children to private school. Unforutnately its todays society where we think that because of the work they do and because they work 'for us' that we should have a say in what they do - regardless of what is best forthem or their families.

Im sure many goverment ministers send their children to private school so why this is an issue god knows!

Abi
08-01-2007, 22:59
Im sure many goverment ministers send their children to private school so why this is an issue god knows!

Not all of them were secretery for Eduction though...

And from their point of view, her job was to improve the eduction system to take into account special needs. But now shes basically saying that the eduction system isn't good enough for her children, still, which isn't exactly sending out a very positive message to the country, is it?

We chatter about this in Politics today, so i can see both points of view just as easily... I'll play Devils Advocate :p

Anyway, the media have never liked Ruth Kelly much, so they're just using this as an excuse, i reckon.

Em
08-01-2007, 23:10
Not all of them were secretery for Eduction though...

And from their point of view, her job was to improve the eduction system to take into account special needs. But now shes basically saying that the eduction system isn't good enough for her children, still, which isn't exactly sending out a very positive message to the country, is it?

We chatter about this in Politics today, so i can see both points of view just as easily... I'll play Devils Advocate :p

Anyway, the media have never liked Ruth Kelly much, so they're just using this as an excuse, i reckon.

Totally agree with that bit!

while i agree its her job to improve the educatiopn system, i dont think it will ever reach the heights of private school .. there just isnt enough money in the government to do it.

By sending most of her children to public school she is showing a positive message, and just because she was involved with education doesnt mean she shouldnt try to give her child more chances in life with additional help. And yes shes involved with education ... but could argue that so is the Pm, and all Govt ministers!

I wonder, if the child were disabled would we complain about him being sent to a private school specifcally designed for diabled children? Or would that be 'crossing a line'. To me, learning difficulties can be as much of a disability as other things.

:D

Meh
08-01-2007, 23:16
I'm a bit indifferent to what Ruth Kelly has done. She wants best for her child, which is fair enough, but as the same time she is making a statement that the education system is a bit of a shambles.

What annoyed me the most was when Diane Abbott did it as she was accusing everyone else of being hypocrites. Mind you, I think New Labour sold out a long time ago.

Katy
09-01-2007, 13:30
I dont get why it is so publically written about, i mean she should have sent him there as thats wheres he feels he would get a better education. She spent all the time talking about State education when she was minister and this does really go against everyting that she has said. It is her decision but i think people would generally get annoyed at this.

Tori
09-01-2007, 19:10
I don't understand why such a fuss is being made- yes she used to be minister for education, however she got sacked and i think although she is high up in the labour party not everyone in the labour party agrees with everything. plus, she's doing what she thinks is right- it's her personal decision and it's not one made by the labour government or going to affect the labour government. but that's just my view