PDA

View Full Version : TV's Magnus Magnusson dies at 77

Luna
07-01-2007, 21:41
The former presenter of BBC TV's Mastermind programme, Magnus Magnusson, has died at the age of 77.
Mr Magnusson, who was born in Iceland in 1929, had been diagnosed with cancer last year.

He came to Scotland at the age of one and spent his life working as a journalist, writer and broadcaster.

Mr Magnusson, who had a wife and four children, was known for his catchphrase "I've started so I'll finish" from the long-running quiz programme.

Tremendous loss

BBC director general Mark Thompson led tributes to one of the most familiar faces on British television.

"For millions of viewers of viewers Magnus Magnusson was one of the defining faces and voices of the BBC," said Mr Thompson.

"To the contestants of Mastermind, he was a tough but always fair questionmaster, but behind this screen persona there was a family man of tremendous warmth and humanity.

"All our thoughts are with his family at this very sad time, and everyone at the BBC will share their tremendous sense of loss."

CrazyLea
07-01-2007, 23:15
Saw this on the news. It's sad. 77's not that bad an age though.

Chloe O'brien
07-01-2007, 23:22
I'm sorry to hear of the death of Magnus. He was one of the great presenter that are too far and few in the world of television. He will be greatly missed.

Jojo
08-01-2007, 10:58
I didn't even realise he was ill!!

He made his name in Mastermind, and I don't think it will be the same without him. My thoughts are with his family.

pookie1968uk
08-01-2007, 14:04
Saw this on the news. It's sad. 77's not that bad an age though.

my father in law is nearly 75 and fit as a fiddle, i dont think he'd like to think that 77 was an ok age to die!! lol!
obviously magnus has fought with cancer for a long time so it is probably a relief for his family, but still very sad.

Jojo
08-01-2007, 15:55
I would personally say these days that 77 is quite young still in a sense. Moreso, with medical science as it is etc, you tend to see people living more into their late 80's and 90's.

Trinity
08-01-2007, 16:31
Magnus Magnasson was a Gentleman. An author, wildlife expert and journalist as well as a TV presenter he will be missed. I believe that he was a well loved chancellor at Glasgow Caledonian University for a few years too.