PDA

View Full Version : Public want smoking age raised.

Katy
03-01-2007, 16:47
Public 'want smoking age raised'
Four out of five people want the legal smoking age to be raised from 16 to 18 to deter young people from taking up the habit, a BBC poll suggests.
ICM conducted the nationwide phone poll of 1,010 adults in England, Wales and Scotland between 20 and 22 August.

The majority of people believed raising the age at which teenagers could buy cigarettes would deter them from taking up the habit.

A slight majority thought the age limit should be raised to 21.

White Paper

The BBC's Healthy Britain poll questioned people about a range of public health issues. Further data will be revealed later this week.

The survey found the public also backed tough measures to reduce the numbers of children who smoke.
Of those questioned, 93% supported increasing and enforcing the penalties for selling tobacco to children, and two thirds said parents who consistently allow their under-age children to smoke should ultimately face prosecution.

Just over half also thought smoking should be made more expensive, and three-quarters said there should be more spent on anti-smoking publicity campaigns.

The government is currently considering whether smoking should be restricted in the workplace, including pubs and clubs.

Its decision will be revealed in a Public Health White Paper, due to be published this autumn.

Raising the age isn't going to stop people buying cigarettes from the shop
Daniel Jones, a 16-year-old smoker

In the BBC survey, two thirds of those questioned were in favour of such a ban.

But while 69% thought government should be trying to change people's behaviour on smoking - including half of the smokers questioned - 64% think that whether or not people smoke is a matter for them.

Melanie Johnson, the public health minister, told the BBC progress had already been made in cutting smoking among young teenagers.

However, she said public feedback to the government's consultation on public health had not indicated that raising the legal smoking age was a particular priority.

Dr Vivienne Nathanson, of the British Medical Association, said: "The best way to prevent young people from smoking is to ban smoking in enclosed public places, increase taxation on cigarettes and enforce exisiting age limit legislation.

"What we need to concentrate on is where one person's "enjoyment" harms others and this means the government showing leadership and following the examples of Ireland and Norway."

'Still desirable'

A spokesman for the group Action on Smoking and Health said: "We are strongly against young people smoking or buying cigarettes for others.

The suggestion that the age limit be raised to 21 shows how hysterical the smoking debate has become
Simon Clark, Forest

But he said simply raising the legal age for buying cigarettes may not have much effect.
"Teenagers are notoriously sharp at getting round such restrictions and they would be hard to enforce.

"More important may be to stop smoking being seen as a desirable and adult thing to do - stop adults smoking and teenagers are much less likely to start. That's one reason why we see ending smoking at work as a top priority."

Daniel Jones, 16, started smoking when he was 12. He now smokes 20 cigarettes a day. He did not think raising the age restriction would make any difference.

"Raising the age isn't going to stop people buying cigarettes from the shop," he said.

Simon Clark, of the smokers' rights group Forest, said, while it supported "reasonable measures that made it more difficult for people under 18 to buy tobacco.

He added: "However, the suggestion that the age limit be raised to 21 shows how hysterical the smoking debate has become.

"The law needs to be consistent. At present you can have sex at 16, drive a car at 17, and drink alcohol in a pub at 18. Some people would even like to lower the voting age from 18 to 16.

"There needs to be a clear point at which children are legally declared to be adults and are therefore considered mature enough to make their own decisions about their health and lifestyle."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Siobhan
03-01-2007, 16:50
I think this is a good idea. When I was in Germany this time, they have vending machine everywhere for cigarettes but now you have to have an EC chip card in order to buy them (EC cards are only giving by a bank and you have to be over 18 to get one).. I think this is a good idea cause you can ask for an id in a shop but you can't control what under 18's buy in vending machines in Pubs and such..

Katy
03-01-2007, 16:54
That is a good idea about the vending machines. by just raising the age, i just feel its a good idea in theory but its a lot different in reality. I mean the age for Alcohol is 18 and that doesnt stop younger people buying it.

I think the ban in public places will have the most impact on smoking as a whole. I think something more concrete needs to be done rather than just making the person older. s

Luna
03-01-2007, 17:00
im sorry but personally i think that no matter what age the legal age is kids are still going to smoke, if they want to smoke they will - they dont care what the legal age is - who cares if it makes it harder to buy them, they will only get someone else to get them.

CrazyLea
03-01-2007, 17:02
I agree with Lee. Raising the legal age, won't stop the youngsters smoking. They'll still do it, possibly even more. They can just get other people to buy them etc..

Katy
03-01-2007, 17:03
I also think it might make them want to do it more. If they know there not allowed they see it more as a challenge.

Luna
03-01-2007, 17:05
i know it will never happen but the only way to stop kids smoking is to stop the production of cigs and make them illegal......and this is coming from a smoker..it would force people to stop (me lol)

Siobhan
03-01-2007, 17:07
i know it will never happen but the only way to stop kids smoking is to stop the production of cigs and make them illegal......and this is coming from a smoker..it would force people to stop (me lol)

If they do that they would have to make some sort of cheaper form of stop smoking aids.. not everyone can quit cold turkey. I know I was a bitch when I quit for a while, people asked me to go back on them

Tannie
03-01-2007, 17:13
Yeah That Is Better But Then Would Most Teens Under The Age Of 18 Not Get 18 and Overs To Get The Cigarettes?

Behemoth
03-01-2007, 17:41
I am totally behind this idea. Even if it only has a tiny effect on the number of teenagers who take up smoking, it's still gotta be worth it.

squillyfer
03-01-2007, 17:59
i dont think this will stop teenage smokers, what we have to remember is that its illegal for persons under 16 to buy cigarettes but anyone of any age can smoke them. The law needs to change to make it illegal for teenagers to actually smoke

.:SpIcYsPy:.
03-01-2007, 19:06
im sorry but personally i think that no matter what age the legal age is kids are still going to smoke, if they want to smoke they will - they dont care what the legal age is - who cares if it makes it harder to buy them, they will only get someone else to get them.
You took the words right out of my mouth...

No age limit is going to make a difference..

Abbie
03-01-2007, 19:26
Its a great idea but like many of you said with drinking, the age doesnt really stop young people doing it. Hopefully it will stop some though, Ive always wondered why they made it 16 in the first place its a stupid age.

Meh
04-01-2007, 01:02
I'm all for an age increase but until its enforced and made illegal then I'm afraid its just words.

Debs
04-01-2007, 10:24

I agree, They will do anything to get hands on the fags! So many times i used to get asked ot go in the shop and buy me some fags omn way to work! They always got a no from me but so many others used to go in and buy.

Chloe O'brien
05-01-2007, 00:34
As a non-smoker I don't know what it's like to crave for a cigarette but I do support the majority in beleiving that raising the age limit is not going to do much to stop young people from smoking, as they will always find someone to buy them for them. Maybe now with a smoking ban in public places up in Scotland and one to be enforced this year south of the border may reduce the numbers of young pople smoking.

Kim
05-01-2007, 01:06
They should have done this ages ago. The way they go on about it it's as if smoking causes more harm than alcohol, but there can't be that much difference in the number of people that take them, because they're both legal drugs. They just sat around leaving the age limit higher than the tobacco one, but at the very least they should have reversed them by now.

pookie1968uk
05-01-2007, 14:56
if it makes it even a bit harder for teenagers to buy cigarettes then it is worth it. better than doing nothing at all.

Pinkbanana
05-01-2007, 18:54
if it makes it even a bit harder for teenagers to buy cigarettes then it is worth it. better than doing nothing at all.

I agree totally with what you have written......at least the gov are being a little pro active. Its the enforcement of it though that will be the big problem.....like the ban of smoking in pubs this year, but its a start in the right direction.

annaz
10-01-2007, 16:42
It's a good idea, tonnes of Y11 can buy them, loads of teen will still smoke but at least it's saving a few of them from the possible dieseses.

SarahWakefield
10-01-2007, 16:50
I wont be bothered if it gets raised to 18 as im 19, however hope it dosen't get raised to 21! :thumbsdow

Abbie
10-01-2007, 17:21
It's a good idea, tonnes of Y11 can buy them, loads of teen will still smoke but at least it's saving a few of them from the possible dieseses.I know loads of people in my year smoke and can buy them and I just hate it.

alan45
10-01-2007, 17:49
As a non-smoker I don't know what it's like to crave for a cigarette but I do support the majority in beleiving that raising the age limit is not going to do much to stop young people from smoking, as they will always find someone to buy them for them. Maybe now with a smoking ban in public places up in Scotland and one to be enforced this year south of the border may reduce the numbers of young pople smoking.I too am a non smoker and I agree 100% with you Kath. I recently had a serious health scare and was told that had I been a smoker I may not have survived. I regularly visit Scotland and was pleasantly surprised to see how effective the ban was there. The pub in Scotland where I normally eat and drink was full of regular customers who are heavy smokers. They still use the place but smoke outside. Roll on April when the ban comes in over here

Siobhan
11-01-2007, 10:15
As a non-smoker I don't know what it's like to crave for a cigarette but I do support the majority in beleiving that raising the age limit is not going to do much to stop young people from smoking, as they will always find someone to buy them for them. Maybe now with a smoking ban in public places up in Scotland and one to be enforced this year south of the border may reduce the numbers of young pople smoking.I too am a non smoker and I agree 100% with you Kath. I recently had a serious health scare and was told that had I been a smoker I may not have survived. I regularly visit Scotland and was pleasantly surprised to see how effective the ban was there. The pub in Scotland where I normally eat and drink was full of regular customers who are heavy smokers. They still use the place but smoke outside. Roll on April when the ban comes in over here

the ban has been working well in Ireland. I only notice how good it was when I went on holiday and was allowed to smoke in a pub.. my clothes were all smelly and you couldn't breath by the end of the night. In Dublin, you can walk into a pub, get a meal without the fear of anyone blowing smoke in your face. I am a smoker but fully support ban

alan45
11-01-2007, 10:52

the ban has been working well in Ireland. I only notice how good it was when I went on holiday and was allowed to smoke in a pub.. my clothes were all smelly and you couldn't breath by the end of the night. In Dublin, you can walk into a pub, get a meal without the fear of anyone blowing smoke in your face. I am a smoker but fully support ban
If they can enforce the bans in Ireland and Scotland they can enforce them anywhere. :) I have been pleasantly surprised how effective it has been