PDA

View Full Version : Internet help

Kim
28-12-2006, 16:01
I finally got a desktop today, along with the USB netgear adapter, as this machine uses a wirless card. I've been trying to connect it and have followed all of the instructions, but it's picking up next door's internet network and not ours, so I can't use the internet. Any ideas?

Meh
28-12-2006, 16:02
I finally got a desktop today, along with the USB netgear adapter, as this machine uses a wirless card. I've been trying to connect it and have followed all of the instructions, but it's picking up next door's internet network and not ours, so I can't use the internet. Any ideas?

Is your wireless router broadcasting its ssid? have you tried changing the channel on the router?

Kim
28-12-2006, 16:03
How do I change the channel? The ssid is on the router and it asks me to enter that.

Meh
28-12-2006, 16:13
Things to check on the router:

ssid is being broadcast
compatibility mode is 802.11g
a suitable channel is set
wireless encryption is off
mac address filtering is offOnce you've checked those, then see if you can connect using your adapter. I f you can, go back to the router and set the encyption back on and try connectiong using your key. If that works, set the mac address filter on.

Kim
28-12-2006, 16:54
Plug the flash drive into your wireless access point. Many devices will blink their lights three times when the transfer is complete; otherwise wait 30 seconds.

Plug the flash drive into each computer or device that you want to add to your network.

Plug the flash drive back into this computer, and then click next.

Does it mean by this that I have to plug my USB flash drive into the router?

EDIT: This computer says that it is a 802.11b card, what shall I do?

Meh
28-12-2006, 17:32
Plug the flash drive into your wireless access point. Many devices will blink their lights three times when the transfer is complete; otherwise wait 30 seconds.

Plug the flash drive into each computer or device that you want to add to your network.

Plug the flash drive back into this computer, and then click next.

Does it mean by this that I have to plug my USB flash drive into the router?

EDIT: This computer says that it is a 802.11b card, what shall I do?

kim, you're going to have to explain the setup exactly.

Kim
28-12-2006, 17:38
I went on the taskbar where it said 'not connected - wireless network connection 3' and went on the show list of all wireless networks. Then it comes up with something saying there's none, so I clicked the bit that said set up a wireless connection network, and it said add to, and then my ssin, or new network, so i went on the one with my ssin. Then it asked for a memory stick port, which was in I, to send the files to, and that's how it came up with that.

Meh
28-12-2006, 17:42
I went on the taskbar where it said 'not connected - wireless network connection 3' and went on the show list of all wireless networks. Then it comes up with something saying there's none, so I clicked the bit that said set up a wireless connection network, and it said add to, and then my ssin, or new network, so i went on the one with my ssin. Then it asked for a memory stick port, which was in I, to send the files to, and that's how it came up with that.

No, no, no! You're setting up a new wirless connection by doing that, not connecting to one!

When you do the show all wireless networks, its not finding your network. How far away is the computer from the router?

Kim
28-12-2006, 17:45
It's upstairs and the router is downstairs.

Meh
28-12-2006, 17:49
It's upstairs and the router is downstairs.

That could be the problem. Try moving the router and antenna about and then click on refresh list (it's in the view all networks window)

Kim
29-12-2006, 09:38
Done that - nothing.

When I got back in last night, for some reason the netgear wizard was closing itself down, and I tried system restore. I've tried about 3 different points and everytime it comes back saying 'restore incomplete, your system could not be restored to --------,' wherever I set it to restore to.

:hmm:

Kim
02-01-2007, 12:47
I've now got a signal in there, gone into the details on the connection, and it is sending things, but it's not being received. It says that there is excellent signal, but the status says limited or no connectivity. I went on the repair connection, and it said something about the IP address not transmitting. What do I do?

EDIT: That's what it came up with, but I don't understand, because the IP field isn't blank.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4057/screenqh6.png (http://imageshack.us)

Meh
03-01-2007, 07:11
Is it a security enabled network? Is the netgear acting as a dhcp server?

Abi
03-01-2007, 12:27
Thats exactly the same thing as what happens on mine sometimes, if there's been an error on the line. On my router, theres a button which puts it into "Pairing Mode", which means that computers can connect to it for the first time. If you dont push that, then your computer will be able to detect a signal, but not connect. I think it just means that theres more security, as you have to be in the house to use that connection. After you've done it once, it automatically connects to the Router when you turn your PC on.

Maybe check theres nothing similar on yours?

Kim
03-01-2007, 12:46
It is security enabled, and I don't think it's acting as DHCP, because on the properties on this one it says on address type that it's assigned by DHCP, but there's nothing on that screen shot, although it's now on connection 5; it dropped the other one because it started detecting next doors' again.

There are no buttons on my router.

Meh
03-01-2007, 13:09
The first thing to make sure is that it is the correct key you are using to connect to it.

Kim
03-01-2007, 13:12
You mean the WEP key? That's on my router and I had to type that in to connect to it.

Meh
03-01-2007, 13:30
Did you type it in correctly?

I would be surprised if your router wasn't setup as a DHCP server. Are you sure there isn't a model number or something on the router?

Kim
03-01-2007, 15:17
There's quite a few numbers: M/s, serial, and 2 that are just randomly there.

Meh
03-01-2007, 15:25
There's quite a few numbers: M/s, serial, and 2 that are just randomly there.

post them all - might be able to find out what the model is form those

Kim
04-01-2007, 17:05
Serial: mr89148sv011642
And it randomly says: mr814v2tw

Meh
05-01-2007, 11:13
Have a read of this thread (http://www.by-users.co.uk/forums/?board=networkhelp&action=display&num=1104418399) Kim

Kim
05-01-2007, 18:43
All sorted - thanks. I'm just going to keep turning the computers on and off when we want to change where the connection is; saves buggering the thing up.