PDA

View Full Version : Soul star James Brown dies at 73

Luna
25-12-2006, 11:12
Singer James Brown, known as the "Godfather of Soul", has died at the age of 73, his agent has said.
He was admitted to hospital in Atlanta after being diagnosed with severe pneumonia but died at 0145 local time (0645 GMT), said Frank Copsidas.

The star was famous for hits including I Got You (I Feel Good), Papa's Got a Brand New Bag and Living in America.

"He is such an influence, I learned so much from him," Mr Copsidas told the BBC World Service.

"On Friday he had his toy giveaway, which is his annual toy giveaway in Augusta, Georgia.

"On Saturday, he went to his dentist up in Atlanta, and his dentist told him something was wrong, and he sent him to a doctor immediately."

Gospel roots

Brown was born in 1933 in South Carolina.

Brown's songs have been widely sampled by other artists

Obituary: James Brown
In pictures: Soul 'Godfather'
Send us your memories
He joined a gospel group as a young man after his release from jail for trying to steal a car.

He had his first hit on the US rhythm and blues chart, Please Please Please, in 1956.

Brown had 94 hits on Billboard's mainstream Hot 100 in the US, according to his official website, and by the end of his career, he had a total repertoire of 800 songs.

However, he achieved only one top 10 single in the UK.

This was Living in America, from the soundtrack of the Sylvester Stallone film Rocky IV, which reached number five in 1986.

High-speed chase

Two years later, however, Brown returned to prison, convicted of aggravated assault and failing to stop for a police officer.

This followed a high-speed car chase through Georgia and South Carolina, which ended when police shot the tyres of his truck.

Brown won the Award of Merit at the American Music Awards in 1992
The star was credited with spreading the popularity of funk around the world, influencing a new generation of black music which spawned rap and hip-hop.

Brown, who had surgery for prostate cancer in 2004, appeared in London in October as part of the BBC's Electric Proms line-up.

At the time, he described how he planned to carry on as a performer, saying: "Everyone's got soul, whether it's talking, hip-hop, rap, gospel.

"We've gotta just stay with whatever we do.

"I don't wanna change, because then I'd have to name myself Sam Smith or Ted Wright or somebody. I'm going to be James Brown."

Last month Brown played at a ceremony at London's Alexandra Palace which saw his induction into the UK Music Hall of Fame, 20 years after entering the US equivalent.

Meh
25-12-2006, 12:18
I can't believe it. The father of soul and funk dead.

RIP James Brown

Bryan
25-12-2006, 17:19
Couldn't believe it when I heard this on the radio first thing this morning.

Me and my mom were sure he was already dead, but even so a sad loss, he was, and always will be, a musical legend.

thestud2k7
25-12-2006, 18:26
Music has lost a legend today

R.I.P

Chris_2k11
26-12-2006, 02:44
I'm not sure I know who he is??

Richie_lecturer
08-01-2007, 19:50
Remember I Feel Good (used in many TV shows and ads over the years) and Mamma's got a Brand New Bag (used in a recent PG tips ad).

Seeing as he is dead they could rename those songs to:

I Don't Feel Good;
Mamma's Got a Brand New Bodybag.

Siobhan
09-01-2007, 11:24
I'm not sure I know who he is??

its my dad (actually they just happen to share the same name) but my dad gets asked alot if he is taking the piss when he tells people his name

Richie_lecturer
09-01-2007, 12:18
He also raped Kathy Beale in EastEnders. :eek:

Siobhan
09-01-2007, 12:24
He also raped Kathy Beale in EastEnders. :eek:

yeah in a way (if you leave out the wilmot) but my dad is very strange person that he can be a top black singer and then rape kathy on a soap.. as a white man...

Richie_lecturer
09-01-2007, 14:28
Clearly a man of many talents. :o :eek:

Chris, I just remembered. Some of James Brown's music is featured in the film Mrs Doubtfire, which I'm sure you've heard of. :)

Luna
21-02-2007, 09:55
The children and partner of late soul legend James Brown have agreed on where his body should be buried, almost two months after his death.
Lawyer Robert Rosen said the location of the burial would be "confidential".

Mr Rosen, who represents the star's partner Tomi Rae Hynie, said the burial may take place in the "next few days".

Ms Hynie said Brown wanted to be laid to rest on his South Carolina estate. But there is currently a legal dispute over control of the property.

Mr Rosen said: "The children and the wife, my client Tomi Rae Brown, have come to an agreement and they have decided that he will be buried in a decent place but it's going to be kept confidential.

"Assuming a court order is signed he could be buried in the next few days."

Ms Hynie was "satisfied with that agreement", he added.

Brown's children say Ms Hynie were not really married to the star
Ms Hynie has been embroiled in a feud with Brown's six adult children, who claim she was never married to their father.

They say she was already married when she exchanged vows with the soul star in 2001, making their marriage void.

Her previous marriage was later annulled but she and Brown never held another ceremony, they say.

Ms Hynie recently launched a legal challenge for half of Brown's estate and access to their South Carolina home.

She has since been allowed to go in and collect items belonging to her.

Despite the dispute, Brown's family and Ms Hynie have united in an attempt to remove three trustees who are handling the estate, which they claim has been mismanaged.

A South Carolina judge recently ruled that the trustees would now be supervised by a special administrator.