PDA

View Full Version : Egg donation

Siobhan
14-12-2006, 14:55
I was watching a child against all odd last night and they were saying that there is not enough egg donors in UK and most women have to pay huge amount of money to try get pregnant (it might not always work and they have to pay another big amount)
Personally, I am happy with the 2 kids I have but I would like to help other women. I am just wondering if anyone has done this or looked into this. I would love to know how it works, what are the affects and at 35 am I too old to donate??

Jojo
14-12-2006, 16:45
Looking at a couple of sites, they seem to prefer people in the 18-35 age bracket. I've heard that its quite an uncomfortable procedure, but having children of my own, I've also thought about this Siobhan

This (http://www.hfea.gov.uk/cps/rde/xbcr/SID-3F57D79B-0A1DBCD1/hfea/2006-11-08_What_you_need_to_know_about_donating_sperm_eggs _or_embryos.pdf)is a leaflet by the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority which seems to have a fair amount of information

Siobhan
14-12-2006, 16:59
Thanks Em.. I was thinking I might be too old to donate, but it is worth investigating. I mean I have 2 children and I would love to help any woman who can't have one of their own. I wouldn't even bother me that in 18 years the child can legally look for me. I think what they are doing now in the Uk is great, if you need IVF and can produce egg you can get your treatment done for a fraction of the cost if you are willing to donate your eggs to someone else.. The sad part of that is that the person you give eggs too might concieve when you don't

I am unsure if I can donate as our family has a history of Crohin's (sp) discease

Jojo
14-12-2006, 20:33
It might be worth getting in touch with the HFEA (or equivalent over there) and asking them - I'm sure they'd be happy for any help that can be given.