PDA

View Full Version : Five prostitutes murdered

Meh
13-12-2006, 01:09
Can't believe this shocking news coming out of Ipswitch. Reminds me of Peter Sutcliffe all those years ago. Can't believe some people think "oh, its prostitutes, that's ok then". Just because they are prostitutes, does that mean that their life is worth less? Hope they find the sicko that did this quickly.

Maybe its time to reevaluate our position on the sex industry and go for legalisation? We have vulnerable people working in an illegal manner which means we have little chance of regulation, let alone STD control and education and more importantly, protecting their human rights.

alan45
13-12-2006, 01:20
Can't believe this shocking news coming out of Ipswitch. Reminds me of Peter Sutcliffe all those years ago. Can't believe some people think "oh, its prostitutes, that's ok then". Just because they are prostitutes, does that mean that their life is worth less? Hope they find the sicko that did this quickly.

Maybe its time to reevaluate our position on the sex industry and go for legalisation? We have vulnerable people working in an illegal manner which means we have little chance of regulation, let alone STD control and education and more importantly, protecting their human rights.

I agree its time the UK came into the 21st century. Prostitution will never go away. Its high time it was legitimised not only for the ladies involved but also for their punters. It works on the continent so why not here. The only problem would be replacing he present pimps with government pimps. No doubt the Dear leader and his Chancer of the exchequer would come up with a Shag tax. Wonder if they would charge by the inch or by the minmute.

Seriously though our hearts must go out to the families of the poor girls involved. I hope the BA*******D involved die a slow and painful death:angry:

Jojo
13-12-2006, 08:29
They need to find whoever is doing this very fast too - the number of deaths in the short space of time is horrifying. In this day and age its ridiculous that women feel they have to pace the streets at night, in unsafe areas, just to be able to feed their children and themselves (which the majority of the time is why the do it).

Lets hope they find this sicko fast and I really hope the girls' families get justice (although, I doubt it, cushty "cell", TV, internet access, and they've probably got Nintendo Wii's in there for them to play aswell!)

Siobhan
13-12-2006, 09:16
Have to agree with you Em.. I can't see the family getting justice and as you rightly pointed out NB, just because of their profession does not make them any less of worth than a doctor or a teacher. These girls feel that it is possibly the only way to get themselves out of debt.

It is horrible shocking news and does remind me of both Rippers (19 century and 20th century). Is it a copycat or just someone who is plain evil

Jojo
13-12-2006, 10:18
Have to agree with you Em.. I can't see the family getting justice and as you rightly pointed out NB, just because of their profession does not make them any less of worth than a doctor or a teacher. These girls feel that it is possibly the only way to get themselves out of debt.

It is horrible shocking news and does remind me of both Rippers (19 century and 20th century). Is it a copycat or just someone who is plain evil Exactly Siobhan, and whoever they are - they are worst than evil. People like this don't deserve to be on this world. It will probably be one of these cases where they are told the alleged murderer was cleansing society of these "evil" women, who are in fact just like any other person. Just trying to make ends meet and put food on the table and clothes on their backs.

Meh
13-12-2006, 11:06
Exactly Siobhan, and whoever they are - they are worst than evil. People like this don't deserve to be on this world. It will probably be one of these cases where they are told the alleged murderer was cleansing society of these "evil" women, who are in fact just like any other person. Just trying to make ends meet and put food on the table and clothes on their backs.

Or they could say God spoke to them and told them. Let's just hope its not a sociopath as that would make it much harder for the police to catch them.

Another sad fact is that most prostitution is due to drug abuse. I can't imagine what power drugs must hold over women, especially if it can lead them into prostitution.

Chloe O'brien
13-12-2006, 14:26
It's scary to think that there is people like this walking around in today's society. I know that some sicko's might think who cares it's just prostitutes so they don't matter, but they do. These women are somebody's daughteror sister and deserve the justice that any other victim recieve and the sooner they catch this maniac the better.

Siobhan
13-12-2006, 14:34
Another sad fact is that most prostitution is due to drug abuse. I can't imagine what power drugs must hold over women, especially if it can lead them into prostitution.

I think that is the sad part that they choose to sell their bodies for drugs. And now they have the fear that some loon will bump them off cause they are worthless (in some people's eyes) and shouldn't be allowed in the world

Katy
13-12-2006, 16:50
its horrible, i dont thin all the press coverage will halp as well as if the person commiting the crime reads it then they could change how they do it just for the police to be on the wrong path. I definalty think that Prostitution should be legalised as everyone knows its happening and surely by not having it legal it makes situations like this one.

annaz
13-12-2006, 17:33
I hope whoever does this will be locked up for the rest of their lives. Just because they're prostitutes doesn't mean they didn't have dreams, families, hopes and feelings.

DaVeyWaVey
13-12-2006, 17:46
This really is awful! I agree, just because they're prostitutes doesn't mean there any different from anybody else. I hope the police get this truly evil man soon as he is striking very fast indeed! My sympathy goes out to the murdered women's families and friends. It truly is horrifying..i can't believe there are people around like this in the 21st Century...the police need to catch this person soon!

snapper
13-12-2006, 17:47
I live in Ipswich, its scary at the moment. My best friend at college knew two of the girls who were murdered. Yesterday I tried to find the words to comfort her, but its not easy.

Thanks to the people that acknowledge that these people do have hopes and dreams. The life of a prostitute isnt an easy one - I mean lets face who would turn round and say to their parents/teachers 'oh one day I would love to be a prostitute'. I know one girl leaves behind a 5 year old child - i cant imagine what they are going through and the victims friends and family.

annaz
15-12-2006, 19:48
It says one of the girls had lost contact with her mother. How hard must it be for her to wake up and see her daughter on the TV.

Katy
16-12-2006, 13:52
its come out now that police have found one of the girls murdered was pregnant. Its just really horrible to read in the papers.

Jojo
18-12-2006, 13:25
A 37-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering five women whose bodies were found at sites around the Ipswich area.

Supermarket worker Tom Stephens was arrested by police at his home at Trimley St Martin, near Felixstowe.

He is being held on suspicion of murdering prostitutes Gemma Adams, Anneli Alderton, Tania Nicol, Paula Clennell and Annette Nicholls.

Mr Stephens is in custody at an unnamed police station in Suffolk.

He is due to be questioned by detectives later on Monday.

'Knew Gemma'

Speaking in an interview with BBC News last week for background purposes, Mr Stephens said he had known Miss Adams for about 18 months - "about as long as I've known any of the girls".

He added: "Tania I've only known for about six months but in the end I did actually get to know Tania better than I knew Gemma.

"I didn't know Anneli at all, I've only every spoken to her since both Tania and Gemma went missing, partly to say, if you know anything, please talk to the police and if you won't talk to the police, please talk to me and I'll talk to the police.

"And also trying to say 'are you okay' and trying, I don't know what I was trying to say.

"Pretty much all the girls who I didn't know before I've tried to speak to since in that way."

Mr Stephens' house in Jubilee Close had been visited by police earlier in the investigation and items had been taken away for examination.

Det Ch Supt Stewart Gull said: "We will not be naming the police station where the man is being held.

"As legal proceedings are now active, Suffolk Police will not be issuing further comments or appeals at this stage."

The five dead women, aged between 19 and 29, were all found naked in rural settings within 10 miles of Ipswich.

They worked as prostitutes and all were drug-users. Their bodies were found close to the A14 road.

Police divers

The body of Miss Adams, 25, who went missing on 15 November, was found in a brook at Hintlesham, Suffolk, by a member of the public on 2 December.

Tania Nicol's body was found by police divers searching areas of water at Copdock Mill, near Ipswich, on 8 December.

Miss Nicol, 19, was last seen after leaving her home in Ipswich on 30 October.

The body of Anneli Alderton, 24, was found in woodland in Nacton, near Ipswich, on 10 December.

On 12 December detectives found the bodies of Paula Clennell, 24, and Annette Nicholls, 29, near the village of Levington.

Mr Stephens was arrested at 0720 GMT on Monday in the village, which is close to the A14 road between Ipswich and Felixstowe.

Trimley St Martin was last in the national news when 17-year-old Vicky Hall vanished on her way home from a nightclub in Felixstowe in 1999 and was found dead in a water-filled ditch at Creeting St Peter - 25 miles from Felixstowe.

It was believed she had been asphyxiated but a post-mortem examination proved inconclusive.

Police have not linked this case with the deaths of the five prostitutes.

On Monday they were unable to confirm Mr Stephens would be questioned about Miss Hall's murder.

Jojo
19-12-2006, 10:56
A 48-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the murders of five women found in the Suffolk countryside.

He is being held on suspicion of murdering prostitutes Gemma Adams, Anneli Alderton, Tania Nicol, Paula Clennell and Annette Nicholls.

The first suspect, Tom Stephens, 37, was arrested on Monday.

The second person was arrested at his Ipswich home at 0500 GMT. Police activity has been reported at a house in the London Road area of Ipswich.

Det Ch Supt Stewart Gull said: "The man is currently in custody at a police station in Suffolk where he will be questioned about the deaths later.

"Police will not be naming the police station where the man is being held."

Siobhan
19-12-2006, 10:59
I was reading something about that this morning.. apparently he went to the paper and said he knew all these women and had sex with them all but didn't kill them. He is an ex special force police man and is now a taxi driver. He actually went on to say that he didn't have an alibi and could be arrested for the murders... Why would he do that? give out his name and address and that kind of information??? He could be innocent!!!
Source Metro (local irish paper)

Jojo
19-12-2006, 11:01
The initial man they've arrested is apparently still in custody, and he was also a special constable too. Mind you, after watching Wire in the Blood etc, they tend to go into the police stations and play with the police, so you end up wondering, if these are the guys that have done it, and are just playing to see how much evidence is actually against them, or what really.

Sick sick people though

Siobhan
19-12-2006, 11:03
It is sick.. It makes me wonder that it is them and they want to be caught for fame or something.. it goes down with the other Ripper murders!!! why would anyone do that!!!

Jojo
19-12-2006, 11:14
Some people have a very strange craving for fame dont they?! Like you say, these killings will go down with the Ripper murders etc, yet in some respects, and no disrespect to anyone, if it is the two people arrested, they didn't exactly give the police a run around at all did they, where as the Ripper killings went on for far longer.

I truly hope justice is served on these people, but I honestly don't think our system will serve out the punishment that is deserved.

Siobhan
19-12-2006, 11:19
I have a feeling it might be both of them. The killings are very close together to be just one person and if it is just one, then he is a sick sick man to kill so many in such as short space.. One good thing, the killings have stopped (or at least they haven't found anymore bodies) and at least the parents/friends of these girls can lay the bodies to rest. Plus I noticed that there is 2 different styles of killing, 2 girls were stranged or choked, the other are been sent for toxicology reports..

Jojo
19-12-2006, 11:21
That would certainly indicate that there are two killers doesn't it...

Like you say, the main thing is that there have been no further gruesome discoveries (did they ever locate the two friends of one of the girls that there were trying to find?), and hopefully the families will be able to lay their daughters to rest very soon.

Siobhan
19-12-2006, 11:24
Like you say, the main thing is that there have been no further gruesome discoveries (did they ever locate the two friends of one of the girls that there were trying to find?), and hopefully the families will be able to lay their daughters to rest very soon.

I didn't know about the 2 friends.. mmm interesting
Just thinking about all the women/men who have gone missing in Ireland over the years and never been found.. At least it is some consilation that these girls can be laid to rest properly