PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Brian Kirkwood

Em
07-12-2006, 12:01
Hollyoaks looks set for a blistering start to 2006 with show bosses hoping
for a string of awards for up and coming storylines. We caught up with series
producer Byran Kirkwood as he gave us a sneaky peak into 2007 and why he thinks
Hollyoaks is better than the three mainstream soaps.

Bryan, youv'e been at Hollyoaks since March now, what changes have you made?

Well officially I have been there since March but I wasn't credited until July I think
because we still had the old producer David Hanson in. Basically David had done quite a good job
but it was still lacking that 'someting' so me and my team were hired to bring it back and add that
little special portion. We have gotten rid of quite a few members of the cast, nothing against the actors
but the characters had no real reason to be in Hollyoaks anymore and from what we read on viewers comments
they weren't really likeable characters.

Mel and Sophie...Not likeable, are you mad Bryan?

Ha ha, well these two were the exception! We did have a very different future mapped out
for these two characters which involved them moving in with Louise full time and eventually Sophie
buying into the beauty salon, but when we were approaced by Andree who played Liz saying she wanted to leave
we were given a startling realisation that this idea wouldn't have worked out as well as we wanted it too for various different reasons, we called Connie and Cassie into the office and basically said "Look this is what we want to do" and they were all in favour of this, and obviously the end result was fantastic.

Just to clear this up are you dropping the output of Hollyoaks episodes?

No, it was floating around well before we were hired but it seems to have settled now. We have too much coming up there would be no time for 3 or 4 episodes per week!

On that note, whats instore?

Well, I obviously can't say too much, but it is going to be the year of Hollyoaks in 2007. There is going to be a storyline
which will blow everyones socks off, and thats not a pun! Basically its going to be around Mike Barnes and Claire Cunningham, some money and two characters that are not onscreen yet, honestly this is going to be fabulous and were confident Tony who plays Mike can pull it off, everyone loves Mike Barnes, he has such a following since he first appeared. Obviously there will be some characters leaving us next year and we have some exciting characters coming up also, like I said previously. There are two characters who are going to be leaving within the first couple of months in 2007 that will be sad to see go as
they are Hollyoaks vintage!

Can you tell us if the rumours are true that there will be a very special cameo in Hollyoaks next year?

Yes and yes! Watch this space...it's going to be AMAZING!

You were recently quoted as saying that Hollyoaks is better than the three mainstream soaps recently...

Well in my opinion it is, theres something lacking in all 3 soaps at the moment, Emmerdale has lost all sense of realism with
a fiery 'expolosive' episode every other week, Eastenders is still not back on top form and they are currently and clearly
experimenting with ideas, and Corrie (Bryan's old stomping ground) has never been right since I left!

diamond1
07-12-2006, 12:11
Well, I obviously can't say too much, but it is going to be the year of Hollyoaks in 2007. There is going to be a storyline
which will blow everyones socks off, and thats not a pun! Basically its going to be around Mike Barnes and Claire Cunningham, some money and two characters that are not onscreen yet, honestly this is going to be fabulous and were confident Tony who plays Mike can pull it off, everyone loves Mike Barnes, he has such a following since he first appeared. Obviously there will be some characters leaving us next year and we have some exciting characters coming up also, like I said previously. There are two characters who are going to be leaving within the first couple of months in 2007 that will be sad to see go as
they are Hollyoaks vintage!

as long as ob isnt leaving i dont care
but cant wait to see what the actual plot is about
mike barnes in a storyline that dont invole his dull family whoa :cheer:
and claire isnt leaving then
I thought she was:searchme:

di marco
07-12-2006, 13:14
sounds good, thanks for posting! :)

There are two characters who are going to be leaving within the first couple of months in 2007 that will be sad to see go as
they are Hollyoaks vintage!!

2 characters? well ones max isnt it, but whos the other one?

Chloe O'brien
07-12-2006, 14:34
More likely to be OB along with Max as they're the only two that are long-term characters with Tony

di marco
07-12-2006, 16:53
More likely to be OB along with Max as they're the only two that are long-term characters with Tony

thats what i was thinking, i couldnt think of anyone else. unless they mean becca, shes been in it quite a while hasnt she? so if she goes to prison? or maybe they mean little tom? just trying to think of people who have been in it longer than a few years lol!

laurouski
10-12-2006, 20:39
So it's all Liz's fault that Mel and Sophie were killed off?! :angry:

Is Max definitely going? :crying:

DaVeyWaVey
11-12-2006, 21:16
Thanks for posting, a very interesting read! I must say Brian Kirkwood is a brilliant producer, i started watching as he took over and i am now hooked to the show, because of what he has come up with. I hope he stays at Hollyoaks for a long while. When i watched it before he took over, i wasn't interested at all! Just goes to show really...