PDA

View Full Version : Web design

Xx-Vicky-xX
03-12-2006, 08:06
Anyone experienced with Web design? we have to do one in Front Page and as its for college i'm needing to put it on my pendrive to take it backwards and fowards with me however when ever i put pictures on my pen drive then remove the pen drive and replace it again the pictures wont open/work. I have tried copying/pasting the picture onto the pen drive, moving it onto the pendrive, opening the file and re-saving it directly to the pendrive and making the whole thing again and not saving it to anywhere other than the pendrive but it always ends in the same result.

Its not all of them that does it either only a few. If it wasn't for college i wouldn't be bothered i would just leave it but i can't so if anyone can help i would be really grateful :)

Tori
03-12-2006, 14:16
do you give it time to save to the drive> most have a red light that flashes whlst it's still saving to the pen drive?

Xx-Vicky-xX
03-12-2006, 15:51
do you give it time to save to the drive> most have a red light that flashes whlst it's still saving to the pen drive?

Yeah i never take the pen drive out of the mchine until the morning after

Abi
03-12-2006, 19:20
When you make the buttons, you set the hyerlink to where the button is located, right? Well, if you put them on your USB drive, then that address is going to change, so thats probably why they wont work.

Thats what happens on Macromedia Dreamweaver, at least.

Xx-Vicky-xX
03-12-2006, 20:59
When you make the buttons, you set the hyerlink to where the button is located, right? Well, if you put them on your USB drive, then that address is going to change, so thats probably why they wont work.

Thats what happens on Macromedia Dreamweaver, at least.

Buttons? What buttons? At the moment all i have really done is put the banners on the page im using for banners but even in the windows picture and fax viewer programme the banners that wont work on Front Page wont open it just says "drawing Failed"

Abi
03-12-2006, 21:02
Are you sure your USB is working properly then? Have you tried doing it with another USB? Cause if Windows wont open it, then it sounds like its just not saving it properly

Kim
03-12-2006, 21:13
Do you ever take the USB stick out without going on 'safely remove hardware?' I read in the manual for mine when I got it that that can cause the corruption of data.

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-12-2006, 09:26
Are you sure your USB is working properly then? Have you tried doing it with another USB? Cause if Windows wont open it, then it sounds like its just not saving it properly

Yeah that is what dad said the images cant be saving correctly, he had the same issue 6 years ago but cant remember what he did to fix it but he said he spent hours on it however i dont have hours to spend on it

Jojo
04-12-2006, 09:28
Is anything opening on your USB drive Vicky?? Have you tried seeing if its more to do with the file type you are trying to save, and then go from there?

I know I had a problem with one and it just wouldn't actually save anything at all - turned out it was a problem with the drive itself - I got a new one and it was fine...I use that, amongst other things, to back up some of our business software/files etc and to transfer them between laptops etc.

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-12-2006, 09:49
About six of the pictures I have on the drive will work the others wont open at all. I even tried making new ones and getting rid of the ones that wouldn’t work in hope it was just something wrong with how I saved it and until I remove the pen drive they work fine but if I remove it then re-inset it the exact same thing happens and it comes up on windows picture and fax viewer that the drawing has failed

Jojo
04-12-2006, 09:56
The only thing I can relate this to sort of, is my sons old mp3 player. When we first had it, it was fine, could drag and drop etc onto it....then suddenly, even though we could play what was on there, it wouldn't allow us to delete or add any other files.

It should act as another drive that you can read and write from and be able to view/edit etc as normal on it, so to me it sounds like a problem with the drive, but I could be totally wrong...

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-12-2006, 10:01
The only thing I can relate this to sort of, is my sons old mp3 player. When we first had it, it was fine, could drag and drop etc onto it....then suddenly, even though we could play what was on there, it wouldn't allow us to delete or add any other files.

It should act as another drive that you can read and write from and be able to view/edit etc as normal on it, so to me it sounds like a problem with the drive, but I could be totally wrong...

Yeah that is the only thing i can now think would be wrong with it as this is a new pendrive which i only got last tuesday so it has never worked except the first 6 images i ever put on it

I think i am just going to have to do the website at home and not bring it into college then when it comes to uploading the actual website to the net i will just get the teacher to show me how to do it then just do it at home

Jojo
04-12-2006, 10:04
Does seem very strange though if its brand new and you only got it last week....:hmm:

Although if you did take it out of the USB port without "safely disconnecting hardware" first, like Kim said, that can cause the problems - if it started from there, that could be your answer maybe... :searchme:

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-12-2006, 10:09
Does seem very strange though if its brand new and you only got it last week....:hmm:

Although if you did take it out of the USB port without "safely disconnecting hardware" first, like Kim said, that can cause the problems - if it started from there, that could be your answer maybe... :searchme:

That could be the problem come to think of it i was trying to get the site onto the drive by 1pm and it was like 12:35 when i got the thing so i may have just taken it out but then that wouldnt explain why only 6 work because the other 5 things that i found not working when i first noticed the problem went on in the same bunch that the other 6 did :searchme:

Jojo
04-12-2006, 10:10
I think sometimes file corruption can not necessarily affect all files on the drive....not sure though....

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-12-2006, 10:16
I think sometimes file corruption can not necessarily affect all files on the drive....not sure though....

Well i can't find a way round it and i dont have much time either so i think the best thing to do is just run it from home or else i am going to fail my favourite unit and i dont really want to be doing that considering i want to get in to web design when i have the qualifications :rotfl:

Jojo
04-12-2006, 10:22
lol

That or are you allowed to burn the files to cd and upload them that way?? Might be worth asking, as if they allow you to use usb drives, they could just as easily contain virus' just as much as cd's might...

Get those qualifications hun!

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-12-2006, 10:25
lol

That or are you allowed to burn the files to cd and upload them that way?? Might be worth asking, as if they allow you to use usb drives, they could just as easily contain virus' just as much as cd's might...

Get those qualifications hun!

I'm not entirely sure i would trust bringing it on a C.D last year someone got their C.D stuck in the C.D drive :eek:

Despit these problems i actually still want to get into web design so i need to pass this unit really :rotfl:

CrazyLea
04-12-2006, 17:22
Well if it's never worked properly, bring it back :| That's what I'd do, even if it was my computer :lol: Worth a try at least?