PDA

View Full Version : The coil

chance
26-11-2006, 12:26
Has anyone else had the 'coil'?
I had the contraceptive jab in my ass 3 months ago but because now im not getting periods i have been getting spots.So ive decided not to go for that again and perhaps go for the coil but the one where you still get periods.
Has anyone else got it and if so pro's and con's please! :)

willow
26-11-2006, 18:12
i had one put in about 8 weeks after i had niamh, she is now 2 3/4, and it is the best thing i have ever had!! if i do have a bleed it is a really light one, i have had no probs with it but i did have one friend who had one and it fell out!! well not fell out, it disloged and she had to have it removed

Dr. Tangliss
06-12-2006, 08:42
Did you know that hormonal contraception injections helps to prevent uterine cancer? Just a fact of the day, lol!

Coils are easy to insert and can be taken out when desired, however they can be easily dislodged so the risk of pregnancy is slightly higher than taking the pill, implants and injections.

Hth :)

Dr. Tangliss
06-12-2006, 08:43
Oh and just to add, there is a higher risk of infection when using barrier devices.

moonstorm
06-12-2006, 13:07
I got the coil fitted 3 years ago, it was the best thing I ever did. My periods are so light they are almost not there! Also now no chance of wee ooppsses, that happened 4 years ago and produced my youngest!!

Siobhan
06-12-2006, 13:44
My sister has this and she said it is brilliant. very very light bleeding and it works a treat. I am still on the pill but will have to change at 35 (my doctor said it would cause lots of problem for women over 35). The new coil (minerva) will cost me over €400 to have fitted. I can't afford that

moonstorm
06-12-2006, 15:15
I got the coil fitted free on the health service because I had very very heavy periods. It might be worth a try going to the Doctors and seeing?

Siobhan
06-12-2006, 16:20
I got the coil fitted free on the health service because I had very very heavy periods. It might be worth a try going to the Doctors and seeing?

I have already done that, as I am not entitled to medical card I have to pay for consultation, fitting and the actually coil itself. I have no medical reason to have this fitted

Em
06-12-2006, 18:20
Did you know that hormonal contraception injections helps to prevent uterine cancer? Just a fact of the day, lol!

Coils are easy to insert and can be taken out when desired, however they can be easily dislodged so the risk of pregnancy is slightly higher than taking the pill, implants and injections.

Hth :)

There is links between the injection and Osteoperos (sp) though isnt there?

Luna
06-12-2006, 19:20
There is links between the injection and Osteoperos (sp) though isnt there?

yeah after 5 years you need to get a bone scan and then every year after that

SarahWakefield
06-12-2006, 21:28
I came off that injection.

My nurse did say you get more of an appetite but i thought oh well, so went ahead and had it, worse thing i did, went from been a size 10 to a 14. But thing is i didnt eat more than what i normally did. Happened with my aunty too and also my mum.

Luna
06-12-2006, 22:03
yeah ive put two stone on since i came off it.....although no one warned me

Em
07-12-2006, 00:02

:eek: I was told to come off it not to get a scan!

Abigail
07-12-2006, 21:22
Really? I never knew that. I bet that costs the NHS millions each year to do that.
So after 5 years do you need a scan every year for the rest of your life or just for a few years?

chance
14-12-2006, 20:30
yeah ive put two stone on since i came off it.....although no one warned me
you put on weight whilst you were on the injection or after you came of it? i only had itonce which last 3 months and during those 3 months i lost weight but now i am off it and back on pill (decided to do this s i was gettin spotty,blamed on jab) i have put on weight,not loads but enough to make me paranoid.