PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Affective Disorder and Epilepsy

Abigail
24-11-2006, 20:59
I was diagnosed with compex partial epilepsy this time last year and I'm just begining to get back on my feet. (If you have epilepsy you'll understand what I'm saying.)
About 3 weeks I had a relapse, fatigue, loss of appetite, feeling down. Some of the symptoms I had before I was diagnosed, no siezures though :cheer:
My consultant, who discharged me in July because of targets, rang today and said I probably have SAD or I've had a virus a few years ago and its only just begining to show the after-effects. My GP thinks I have teenage fatigue syndrome (I'm 17).
Anybody suffered from SAD or fatigue syndrome? I worried that if I have SAD they'll give me more medication and I'll have to go for counselling. I had one session of counselling 6 months ago and I got so scared I didn't go again.

*-Rooney-*
30-08-2007, 22:52
i suffer from epilepsy and i was just wondering if you were on medication and if so would ones.

i have had epilepsy for 10 years i got it from stress from studying for my standard grades, its never been controlled since i have been tried on so many different types of meds, put on weight, lost weight , lost hair still losing it due to a side effect, not allowed to work at the moment havent been allowed to for the last couple of years, hope your a little luckier than i have been

Katy
31-08-2007, 12:47
SAD i snothing to worry about really, i studied it in psychology last year and it can be kept under control by just spending more time outside and walking in the fresh air. I'm not sure what the fatigue syndrome is though, i hope you start feeling better soon.

Abigail
01-09-2007, 19:29
i suffer from epilepsy and i was just wondering if you were on medication and if so would ones.

i have had epilepsy for 10 years i got it from stress from studying for my standard grades, its never been controlled since i have been tried on so many different types of meds, put on weight, lost weight , lost hair still losing it due to a side effect, not allowed to work at the moment havent been allowed to for the last couple of years, hope your a little luckier than i have been

I was diagnosed in November 2005 although the doctors think I have had it longer than that but it's not been noticed. I have complex partial so it's not very easy to spot.

I collapsed several times during 2005, went to minor injuries unit with hypothermia and got sent home a few hours later. Then I collapsed at home in Oct 2005 and was taken to A&E (blue lights and noises). They didn't know what was wrong but my ECG showed up a delta wave. Cue every blood test going, including all the hormones and standard tests plus hepatitis and other diseases like that, MRI brain scans, EEG, several ECGs, 24hr ECG, heart scans...

I'm on Lamotrigine 100mg twice a day. It took a while to find the right dose but I'm ok now in that respect.

In Feb this year I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which usually develops after a virus although I haven't had more than a cold in years. I get really tired very easily, I can't get up in the mornings, some nights I don't go to sleep until 3am or I wake up every few hours. I get bad pain in my joints. It's rubbish.

I'm also (still) having tests on my heart for Wolff Parkinson White syndrome which is an extra electrical pathway in the heart which can cause heart failure. :rolleyes: I always get the incurable diseases. And I'm only 17.

I have a friend who has uncontrollable epilepsy. At one point she was on 3 different meds and it still wasn't under control.

Have you considered Vagal Nerve Stimulation? Look it up on the epilepsy action website, I can't remember what they do.

*-Rooney-*
01-09-2007, 21:14
i'll look that up thanks,
when i first had a seizure that anyone was aware of i also got rushed to the hospital, then had to have a cat scan and a EEG, my first medication was also lamotrigine i got put on the highest dose, now after trying so many different ones i am on 200mg topiramate a day and 30 mg of clobazam