PDA

View Full Version : Menigitis

Siobhan
13-11-2006, 16:49
these are the symptoms of it

High temperature, fever, possibly with cold hands and feet
Vomiting, sometimes diarrhoea
Severe headache
Neck stiffness (unable to touch the chin to the chest)
Joint or muscle pains, sometimes stomach cramps with septicaemia
Dislike of bright lights
Drowsiness
Fits
The person may be confused or disoriented.and it does say you may not get everyone or in that order. Does anyone know anyone who had menigitis and didn't have the rash or vomiting?

Meh
13-11-2006, 17:05
Isn't there spots or a rash that don't fade if you roll a glass over them?

Siobhan
13-11-2006, 17:07
Isn't there spots or a rash that doesn't fade if you roll a glass over it?

yes but I was wonder if you can have menigitis without a rash.. it said not all symptoms happen.. My little girl is complaining of sore neck, head ache, stomach ache and she has a temperature...I just wonder if it could be that without the rash?

di marco
13-11-2006, 17:16
my sis had menigitis without the vomitting, she had a rash though. if youre worried about your daughter id take her up the hospital just in case, hope everythings ok though :)

Debs
13-11-2006, 17:21
id take her to doctors siobhan, just to put your mind at rest. ours get them in straight away if you menton the symptoms

hope shes ok xx

Meh
13-11-2006, 17:22
yes but I was wonder if you can have menigitis without a rash.. it said not all symptoms happen.. My little girl is complaining of sore neck, head ache, stomach ache and she has a temperature...I just wonder if it could be that without the rash?

Go and get her checked out Siobhan. It's not worth taking the risk.

samantha nixon
13-11-2006, 17:22
i might be wrong as this is going from casualty lol but in some cases cant rashes come out after everything else has

hazey
13-11-2006, 19:10
I had this many years ago when I was,8 years old. I did not vomit or get the rash but had the worst type of it, The headache and chin on the chest test your child will scream with pain,if they have it believe me. I was talking rubbish too. If you are in any doubt, dont delay. I am one of the lucky ones I was deaf and dumb for two years,but got them back thank goddness, The reason why in 1962 doctors didnt know much about it and they delayed sending me to hospital, I hope all will be ok.

Kim
13-11-2006, 19:41
I don't mean to hyjack this thread, but I'm really worried about my friend. She's just come online, said she had to come on because she misses talking to some people, and that she can hardly walk without throwing up. She hasn't eaten since Friday and she said that one sip of drink makes her be sick. Altogether, she's been sick 27 times since Friday. She's going to the hospital at 9, but I'm wondering if meningitus runs in the family as her Dad died of it.

Jojo
13-11-2006, 20:25
Ciaran had septacemic meningitis when he was 7 months old.

He wasn't vomiting, he only had a very slight rash, which went purple in the 20 min journey to hospital.

My sister in law had it (C strain), my great nephew then had the B strain and died at 6 months old and then Ci got it....

Certain diseases/illnesses can apparently run in certain gene pools according to the health officials that we had to deal with because of it being meningitis.

The rash can be the last symptom to be prevalent and it is therefore imperative that ANYONE who even CONSIDERS that they may have this (or their child has) to go to A&E immediately - never feel daft for doing it...if I had put Ciaran to bed for the night as we were going to...he wouldn't be with us today....

The sooner you act, the better. Siobhan/Kim - if you want to speak to me about Ciaran's symptoms etc - feel free.

As a company, we donate to Meningitis Research Foundation after our experiences - the sooner a full vaccine is developed for all strains - the better.

Abigail
13-11-2006, 20:29
I don't think meningitis is hereditary. She may just have a really bad infection or bug. But if she's had these symptoms since Friday then its very unlikely that she has meningitis as she'd be in a pretty bad way by now.

Jojo
13-11-2006, 20:31
You can have viral meningitis though, which isn't treated and has to be left for the body to fight itself....so she wouldn't necessarily be in a bad way if she had viral as opposed to bacterial.

Viral meningitis cannot be helped by antibiotics and treatment is based on good nursing care. Recovery is normally complete, but headaches, tiredness and depression may persist for weeks or even months.

Kim
13-11-2006, 22:17
I don't think meningitis is hereditary. She may just have a really bad infection or bug. But if she's had these symptoms since Friday then its very unlikely that she has meningitis as she'd be in a pretty bad way by now.

I didn't mean hereditary; is the relative risk of contracting it increased if a family member had it?

Viral seems a possibility then - I was saying she would need to drink even if it made her sick, or she would die, and she said she wanted to die.

Jojo
13-11-2006, 22:55
I didn't mean hereditary; is the relative risk of contracting it increased if a family member had it?

Viral seems a possibility then - I was saying she would need to drink even if it made her sick, or she would die, and she said she wanted to die. She has to drink and she has to see a health professional as soon as possible...she has got to keep drinking to stay hydrated, but she has got to see someone and very quickly

Meh
13-11-2006, 23:17
Its simple: get to a doctor. You'll get a far better diagnosis than an internet forum

Trinity
14-11-2006, 08:07
Siobhan, how is your daughter now? I am thinking of you and hope that all is well. Take care xx

Siobhan
14-11-2006, 09:09
Siobhan, how is your daughter now? I am thinking of you and hope that all is well. Take care xx
Charley is fine (ish). good news that it is not menigitis which is a load of my mind. It is her tonsils again, mixed with flu which caused the neck pain and headaches. She is off school today (which she is more upset about) and still on the waiting list to have her tonsils removed (she gets this about 4 times a year, just bad this time as it is mixed with flu). I am getting my doctor to try bump her up the list cause I can't be doing with this shock everytime she has this

thank you everyone for your concern

Jojo
14-11-2006, 13:42
Charley is fine (ish). good news that it is not menigitis which is a load of my mind. It is her tonsils again, mixed with flu which caused the neck pain and headaches. She is off school today (which she is more upset about) and still on the waiting list to have her tonsils removed (she gets this about 4 times a year, just bad this time as it is mixed with flu). I am getting my doctor to try bump her up the list cause I can't be doing with this shock everytime she has this

thank you everyone for your concern Its good to hear its not Meningitis Siobhan.

I hope she gets the tonsilectomy soon - when I had mine out, they used to whip them out really quick, but don't seem to like doing so these days. But if its affecting her like this, she should be something done and quickly.

Hope she gets well soon

CrazyLea
14-11-2006, 15:35
Really glad that it aint meningitis!! But hope she get's better. Must be really awful for her. I didn't know there was a tonsil list! That's quite silly really! Hope she get's bumped up anyway!

Debs
14-11-2006, 15:36
glad to hear its not meningitis siobhan

hope she feels a bit better soon xx

Katy
14-11-2006, 15:44
hope shes feeling better soon. I didnt know there was tonsil list either.

samantha nixon
14-11-2006, 19:39
im glad it isnt meningitis, an yh there is a tonsil list lol but if you have it a lot you can get pushed forward

pookie1968uk
14-11-2006, 21:14
my neice had meningitis at 9mths old. she had pneumococcal meningitis which is a really bad one and you dont get a rash. she had a very high termperature and ended up having a febrile convulsion. was critical for days and then picked up but suffered permanent brain damage, hydrochephilis and has a shunt in her brain, and temporary epilepsy. she now goes to a special needs school although for how the doctors said she would be she is doing much better than that.
there is a new vaccination coming out for this although it has been in america for ages our government have just decided to give it to all children and if it have been available years earlier ellie, my neice wouldnt have caught it. so i urge you to get your kids vaccinated and if you think they have meningitis dont wait for the rash, there isnt always one.

Meh
15-11-2006, 01:12

thank you everyone for your concern

Thank goodness its not meningitis.

I had my tonsils out when I was a kid. Eating and talking has never been harder. Why do they stuff toast down an extremely sore throat?

Em
15-11-2006, 21:36
Thank goodness its not meningitis.

I had my tonsils out when I was a kid. Eating and talking has never been harder. Why do they stuff toast down an extremely sore throat?

I know!!! i never understood that!

Though my hospital followed toast with ice cream so it wasnt all bad!

Jojo
16-11-2006, 11:20
I know!!! i never understood that!

Though my hospital followed toast with ice cream so it wasnt all bad! I was always told to eat toast, to scrape the bacteria off of the tonsils before I had them taken out :D :sick: Gross but true.

kaylz22
16-11-2006, 18:07
my nephew had menigitis, it was the one without the rash, i keep forgetting the name of it. He was 3 months old when he had it, and now he is four and fine, though he is now deaf because of it.

tammyy2j
30-09-2009, 10:52
My little 10 month old niece has some form of meningitis at the moment she is in hospital her temperature is down now and the rash has stopped spreading. She is on the drip and was given antibotics also. We are all really worried so fingers crossed dear god she will be ok. :(

Siobhan
30-09-2009, 10:58
Tammy, hope she will be ok.. let us know how she is getting on.

Perdita
30-09-2009, 11:38
I hope she will be fine, Tammy. As Siobhan said, keep us up to date with her progress please

lizann
01-10-2009, 14:12
The word Meningitis like Cancer scares

Chloe O'brien
01-10-2009, 23:40
Poor we soul Tammy you and your family must be worried sick. I hope your neice makes a speedy and full recovery.

tammyy2j
02-10-2009, 10:05
my niece doing better she is off the drip and feeding on her own thank god and out of isolation now - thanks all for your kind words

Siobhan
02-10-2009, 10:09
my niece doing better she is off the drip and feeding on her own thank god and out of isolation now - thanks all for your kind words

That is so good to hear.. I am happy she is getting better

Perdita
02-10-2009, 10:16
Good news, hope she stays on the road to a speedy and full recovery :)

moonstorm
02-10-2009, 10:42
Fantastic news, I hope she makes a very speedy recovery. xxxx

Jojo
03-10-2009, 23:37
Glad to hear Tammy. My no 2 son had septacemic meningitis when he was 7 months old and it was a very scary time for all of us, so can totally empathise x

tammyy2j
21-10-2009, 12:37
my niece is home and better thank god

many thanks all

Perdita
21-10-2009, 12:38

many thanks all

Good news :cheer: :D

Siobhan
21-10-2009, 12:54

many thanks all

Oh that is the best news ever...

Chloe O'brien
22-10-2009, 21:30

many thanks all

Glad to hear she is out of hospital and on the mend. Tammy.