PDA

View Full Version : Hives

Jojo
10-11-2006, 09:17
I'm putting this in health, but its regards my middley...

He's come out in really bad hives - started last night, gave him antihistamines before bed and they weren't too bad, but this morning they are red, raging and spreading all over his face and well, everywhere!!

I've phoned my GP's surgery - no appts available (what a surprise) so I've got to sit here and wait for the duty doctor to phone, which is frankly, like waiting for the Number 10 bus (which we don't get round here!! :rotfl: )

I've given him another dose of antihistamines, but thats not doing any good or quietening them down at all, he has a cold already so his chest wasn't too great anyway, but the coughing is more frequent, and although hes fine in himself, I'm not sure what else to do...

As far as we are aware, he hasn't got any other allergies.

Any ideas?? Anyone had any experience of them?

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 09:21
Does he suffer from any allergies? If he does, this could be making the problem worse.

You mentioned he has a cold, do you know that this can cause Hives?

I recommend applying calamine lotion as well as the antihistamines. Also, loose fitting clothes, and definitely staying clear of hot baths, especially after they clear as this will cause them to return.

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 09:23
Der, just re-read your post, and he doesn't suffer with allergies. I am dumb sometimes:eek:

Jojo
10-11-2006, 09:25
Does he suffer from any allergies? If he does, this could be making the problem worse.

You mentioned he has a cold, do you know that this can cause Hives?

I recommend applying calamine lotion as well as the antihistamines. Also, loose fitting clothes, and definitely staying clear of hot baths, especially after they clear as this will cause them to return. The only thing that he has a tendency to have a reaction to is animals/animal fur but as we have none (apart from our now single guinea pig outside, cause the other died this week :crying: ), I don't think thats affecting it.

Can colds cause them then?! Maybe thats whats behind it..

I'll pop out later and get some calamine.

Thanks T - heres hoping my GP will ring back at some time in the future....the second "excellent response" I've had from healthcare professionals down here in the last 2 days :rolleyes:

Appreciate it :)

Jojo
10-11-2006, 09:27
Der, just re-read your post, and he doesn't suffer with allergies. I am dumb sometimes:eek: Lol, thats ok - I edited it, probably after you'd read it with additional allergy info :)

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 09:30
:)
Lol, there was me thinking I was going mad.

GP's are so lazy nowadays, I bet they wont be around until midday.

Yes, colds, stress, extremes in temp can also cause hives.

Awww, poor guinea pig :( I love animals, I have plenty; 4 hamsters, 1 chinchilla, 1 rabbit and a cat.

Jojo
10-11-2006, 09:39
Docs just phoned, is going to have a look at Ciaran at half 10, although he wouldn't listen to how his name was spelt, and started asking if he was actually registered at the surgery :rolleyes:

So, thats something...

Yeah, first winter outside, cos of Liam, and the cold got him - pampered them too much :(

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 09:44
I think all mothers tend to do that. :)

Argh, why don't people listen, I mean you are his mum so obviously you know how to spell his name, so they should listen!

I think my son is allergic to the hammys, he keeps on coughing if they are in his room, so we have had to place them down stairs.

Jojo
10-11-2006, 09:46
I think all mothers tend to do that. :)

Argh, why don't people listen, I mean you are his mum so obviously you know how to spell his name, so they should listen!

I think my son is allergic to the hammys, he keeps on coughing if they are in his room, so we have had to place them down stairs. Does he react immediately to them...

Only my 12 (nearly 13 :crying: ) year old has a hammy in his room (she's so quiet I'd forgotten) and he was up there for a bit last night. Although this reaction didnt start till a good hour or two after he came back downstairs.

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 09:50
It starts after a couple of hours. He starts coughing, and then moans and wakes us up. I am starting to think it's asthma related, and they are triggering a reaction.

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 09:50
Does he react immediately to them...

Only my 12 (nearly 13 :crying: ) year old has a hammy in his room (she's so quiet I'd forgotten) and he was up there for a bit last night. Although this reaction didnt start till a good hour or two after he came back downstairs.

Kids grow up so fast, it's scary! I can't believe my eldest is at school.:crying:

Jojo
10-11-2006, 09:51
:hmm:

Very similar to Ci and with his cold, he's having to have his inhaler more too (not diagnosed asthmatic, but has hayfever and as soon as he gets a cold, its cough cough cough, especially at night)

Jojo
10-11-2006, 09:53
Kids grow up so fast, it's scary! I can't believe my eldest is at school.:crying: Mines in yr 8! :crying:

And Ci starts in Jan and Liam is nearly 1!!! :crying:

Oops going slightly off topic ..

Hives are like raised patches of skin aren't they - trying to think how to describe them...:hmm:

Just to make sure it is that and not something completely different...lol

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 09:56
Did you know that this cold weather can actually cause asthma to worsen?

I suffer with hayfever, and a couple of years ago I needed an inhaler because I was told I had, 'asthma related hayfever'. Plus, pets seemed to make my breathing worse.

Asthma and hayfever are very closely related.

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 09:57
Mines in yr 8! :crying:

And Ci starts in Jan and Liam is nearly 1!!! :crying:

Oops going slightly off topic ..

Hives are like raised patches of skin aren't they - trying to think how to describe them...:hmm:

Just to make sure it is that and not something completely different...lol

Bless. :)

Yes they are, and they are itchy.

I hope the doc can give you something, although whenever I take the kids, they always say, give them Calpol and plenty of fluids, then send me on my way!

Jojo
10-11-2006, 09:59
Yeah - I'd heard that Asthma, Hayfever and Eczema are all related allergies, I've got hayfever (needed inhaler when I was young oh so many years ago), Ste has it too and has now stopped needing the inhaler, and Ci has hayfever and atopic eczema and is now needing the inhaler too....

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 10:00
Maybe the doc could give him a Peak Flow test or something?:searchme:

Jojo
10-11-2006, 10:03
Bless. :)

Yes they are, and they are itchy.

I hope the doc can give you something, although whenever I take the kids, they always say, give them Calpol and plenty of fluids, then send me on my way! Ahhhh calpol - the cure for everything in childhood...

Hopefully he'll prescribe some thing to help, but wouldnt be surprised if I wasn't in then out in 5 mins

Jojo
10-11-2006, 12:10
Have got back from Docs

Its related to his cold virus apparently. His body is fighting the virus almost too well and sort of attacking his skin aswell or something. But it should clear up within a few days hopefully.

He gave Ci a full look over though which was good, and a certificate for being good, so we're happy...