PDA

View Full Version : Cot death mystery "solved" by scientists

Jojo
01-11-2006, 14:42
US scientists believe they have found the cause of cot deaths, which claim the lives of hundreds of babies every year. They say they have the strongest evidence that it is caused partly by a genetic disorder, which may one day be treatable. A new study found 31 babies who died mysteriously in their sleep had brain abnormalities.

These were in the part that controls breathing, heart rate, blood pressure and arousal.

The problems appeared to affect the brainstem's ability to sense high amounts of carbon dioxide and low oxygen levels and prevent itself from asphyxiating.

This meant the babies were particularly at risk in situations where they began breathing in their own recycled breath.

The most common instances are when they are sleeping face-down or have their faces covered by bedding.

Research has already shown that putting a baby to sleep on its stomach greatly increases the risk of sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS.

There are around 300 cot death cases each year in the UK, mostly involving babies under six months old.

"These findings provide evidence that SIDS is not a mystery but a disorder that... some day we may be able to identify and treat," said Hannah Kinney, of the Boston Children's Hospital.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is news I like to read.

Siobhan
01-11-2006, 15:17
That would be fantastic if they could 100% pinpoint the cause.. save a lot of heartache and pain for families

Debs
01-11-2006, 17:01
It would be fantastic if they could.

Cot Death was a huge fear of mine when connor was born, i suppose having a dream about being at his funeral out first night home didnt help me.

i used to wake up regualry through the night, and check on him, its a habit i still havent broken. I literally used to go to his basket/cot and poke him until he moved! I still do it and hes 4

Siobhan
01-11-2006, 17:07
It would be fantastic if they could.

Cot Death was a huge fear of mine when connor was born, i suppose having a dream about being at his funeral out first night home didnt help me.

i used to wake up regualry through the night, and check on him, its a habit i still havent broken. I literally used to go to his basket/cot and poke him until he moved! I still do it and hes 4

I do that too.. I just to put a mirror to both the kids faces to see if they were breathing.. I listen for every noise and if they slept late, I would be panicking

Debs
01-11-2006, 17:14
its kinda good to know im not the only one then.

I try and stop but i just cant. Poor connor, im sure one night hell wake up mid prod and shout at me to stop.

Siobhan
01-11-2006, 17:17
I am sure there is a lot of mothers out there who do that. I know my sister did until her kids were 8 years old at least

Dr. Tangliss
02-11-2006, 17:01
That would be fantastic if they could 100% pinpoint the cause.. save a lot of heartache and pain for families

I totally agree with you. I just hope the findings are conclusive and something can be done sooner, rather than later.:clap:

Jojo
03-11-2006, 00:59
Its such a huge fear for so many parents, whether first child or fourth, that to be able to pinpoint and prevent this would be fantastic! The sleepless nights are bad enough to start with, let alone when you prevent yourself from sleeping, watching your baby to try and ensure that they are still breathing and/or safe and sound.