PDA

View Full Version : What Do you Think?

Luna
24-10-2006, 23:21
Does this sound like a con to anyone?

Ive just sold an expensive item on ebay the winning bidder says shes from america and also has no feedback?

I emailed her to check which payment method she would e using since it was such a large amount (almost £300)

and this is what ive got back

I am very happy to been privilege to win your item on eBay pls i will like to know the condition of the item because i want it sent as a gift to my beloved husband who is on an official assignment in west Africa (NIGERIA) to show appreciation for all he has done in my life and to show What God has done in my life. Pls i will like you to please give me a detailed shipping cost to Nigeria so that i will be able to pay via pay pal asap .pls i will like you to find out the shipping cost immediately because i will like to pay first thing tomorrow morning and i want you to ship the item to me immediately after my payment because i want it to reach there as soon as possible .pls am sorry if i have caused you any troubles pls bear with me. I am sure we will all find favour in GODS eyes NOTE: PLS I WANT IT SEND 'VIA ROYAL MAIL ON AIR..... INTERNATIONAL SIGNED FOR FIRST.

what do you guys think?

Jessie Wallace
24-10-2006, 23:27
Sounds a bit weird hun. She has to pay what ever you said in your discription. If you didn't say post internation, then she can post it there herself. And all the immediate stuff is a bit rude.

Luna
24-10-2006, 23:37
just did a search on ebay community and there seems to be a lots of this going about.

have a look at this

hiya
i had the exact same last week, a woman claiming to be english but working in india bought my phone and sent an email to be saying that it was for her husband in nigeria. she wanted me to post it to him by royal mail. i agreed only when payment was made. 2 days later 2 e-mails from paypal saying that the money had been paid and i could now send the phone, only the e-mails were fake (quite good ones had it not been for the spelling mistakes!)decided if you cant beat em, join em and then sent back a few more emails with fake mail tracking numbers1 decided id had enough fun yesterday and sent a really bad e-mail back to the scammers!!!needless to say iv had no reply. dont worry about this, wait your 7 das and then report them as unpaid payers. what was the user number

sound familiar? i suppose im just going to have to wait the 7 days and then relist it - why can ebay stop these people!!!

Jessie Wallace
24-10-2006, 23:38
It's so annoying, they do it all the time, set up new accounts and then con people just to try and amke a quick buck.

alan45
25-10-2006, 00:03
Definate SCAM They will produce forgeed reciepts and all

do a google on them

Mr Humphries
25-10-2006, 09:17
This is a con, I had something similar and searched it on Google and found a website set up by thousand of peoples who had been conned all by the same group of people, you can tell its con straight away when it has something to do with Africa and they mention God in the email! No sensible person, uses god in an email like that! Them type of people all need to be :banned:

Rain_
27-10-2006, 21:41
me thinks perhaps an "Ebay Thread" is in order. Not just for scams but to share stories on bargains, losses, advice on listing etc....what do you think?

It is such a big part of a lot of peoples lives now, I think there will be plenty of contributions

Kim
27-10-2006, 22:06
That sounds really dodgy. Shouldn't she have looked at shipping charges before she put in a bid? Also, you're supposed to know and be satisfied with the condition of the item before buying. She can't just expect you to go round after her. They don't seem to bright either, what's wrong with being formal? I'd make her pay by cheque and make sure it can't bounce before you post the item.

Chloe O'brien
28-10-2006, 01:14
Leeza huni I have never brought anything by ebay but if I did I would want want the money up front before I sent any goods abroad.

Luna
28-10-2006, 09:03
it was a scam and i relisted the item saying uk bidders only and all that and guess what....its happened again :mad: i swear im going to stop using ebay.

Lucky enough i have two seperate emails addresses one for ebay and the other for paypal so when they sent the fake paypal confirmation it went to the wrong email address so that was a giveeaway straight away.

alan45
28-10-2006, 09:13
it was a scam and i relisted the item saying uk bidders only and all that and guess what....its happened again :mad: i swear im going to stop using ebay.

Lucky enough i have two seperate emails addresses one for ebay and the other for paypal so when they sent the fake paypal confirmation it went to the wrong email address so that was a giveeaway straight away. My son had the same experience when selling a mobile phone. He came into work telling me about the great price he had been offered on ebay. I asked him if it was from someone in Nigeria. Guess what. Yep a CON

Jojo
28-10-2006, 09:39
Recently my hubby didn't win an auction on ebay, which was fine as we had decided we were going to do it ourselves anyway as I would cost far less and would be a lot stronger.

After the auction had ended, he received an email with a second chance offer and the only "giveaway" that there was something dodgy about it was a) because of the dodgy spelling and b) because only the previous day, we'd offered £250 more to the actual seller than what the new "seller" was asking for it.

We reported it to the real seller immediately, and the next day we received yet another second chance offer! I can't imagine the number of people that have been conned in this way.

alan45
28-10-2006, 09:53
Whilst there are so many genuine bargains to be had on ebay Im always wary of using it because of the conmen who now seem to infest it. The idea of having a different email address for paypal is good because these bast**ds send a fake paypal receipt to uour ebay email address

samantha nixon
29-10-2006, 20:57
last week in one of my mums magazines it had that if you get a paypal thing come up be careful as they are using that to hack into accounts and get money from people