PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure

Abi
24-10-2006, 13:11
I've been feeling really dizzy, and light headed recently, and have been fainting a lot, so i took one of those blood pressure test things, today.

Anyway, my reading was 84/53, and i'm not really sure if thats good or bad... Google isn't really helping me much, because i dont understand much about the test or the measurements or anything.

So does anyone know much about it, and if 84/53 is good for me, or something i should be worried about?

Thanks! :D

1sheldie
24-10-2006, 13:42
Hi I'm not a doctor or a nurse but if your light headed and fainting for no reason i'd get myself to the doctors just for a check up if you don't want a doctor the practice nurses will help as well,,

I might be wrong but i think that your blood pressure could be a bit low.

Luna
24-10-2006, 13:43
my blood pressure at the last check was 130/70 which is low

this is how they work it out -

Normal ranges for blood pressure in adult humans are:

Systolic between 90 and 135 mmHg (90–135 Torr, 12–18 kPa)
Diastolic between 50 and 90 mmHg (50–90 Torr, 7–12 kPa)

Systole is the contraction of the chambers of the heart, driving blood out of the chambers. The chamber most often discussed is the left ventricle. However, all four chambers of the heart undergo systole and diastole in a timed fashion so that blood is propelled forward through the cardiovascular system.

Diastole is the period of time when the heart relaxes after contraction. Ventricular diastole is when the ventricles are relaxing, while atrial diastole is when the atria are relaxing.

During ventricular diastole, the pressure in the (left and right) ventricles drops from the peak that it reaches in systole. When the pressure in the left ventricle drops to below the pressure in the left atrium, the mitral valve opens, and the left ventricle fills with blood that was accumulating in the left atrium.

Diastolic is the adjective form of diastole referring to relaxation of the heart, between muscle contractions.

As such, it is used to describe portions of the cardiac cycle related to contraction.

More typically it is used as one component of measurement of blood pressure. Diastolic pressure refers to the lowest pressure within the arterial blood stream occurring during each heart beat. The other component of blood pressure is systolic pressure, which refers to the highest arterial pressure during each heart
beat.

so i would say your is low and you need to go get the doc to check it out. Where did you get the check done? they should have explained all this too you

Abi
24-10-2006, 14:02
I went to the Doctors a couple of weeks ago, but they're useless there, so just told me not to worry, and keep an eye on it, even after i collapsed twice in one day. So i used one of those ones you get from the chemist, but i've lost the manuel... thats why i wasn't sure what the readings meant.

So if it is low, then what kind of thing can i do to sort it out? This dizziness and light headedness is irritating now...

Katy
24-10-2006, 17:42
it could be casued by lack of Iron. I had this a few weeks back where i would go dizzy and faint and the doctor said my iron intake was low.

That could be another reason. I think the two could be linked but im not sure.

Kim
24-10-2006, 18:02
I think the normal is a hundred and something over 75.

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 10:17
I've been feeling really dizzy, and light headed recently, and have been fainting a lot, so i took one of those blood pressure test things, today.

Anyway, my reading was 84/53, and i'm not really sure if thats good or bad... Google isn't really helping me much, because i dont understand much about the test or the measurements or anything.

So does anyone know much about it, and if 84/53 is good for me, or something i should be worried about?

Thanks! :D

My word, thats low! That would account for your symptoms.

Did you go to the docs?

Abi
10-11-2006, 16:24
My word, thats low! That would account for your symptoms.

Did you go to the docs?

I rung them, and they said that i would have to wait for over 3 weeks for an appointment, but seeing as they only make appointments 3 weeks in advance, they couldn't even guarentee i would get one then, and that i should ring back again later. So in a word, no, because they dont want to help me.

Lived with it for months now, so another few weeks wont make much of a difference, i guess.

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 16:29
My word, what is the NHS coming to?:angry:

Good news for you though is people with low BP have lower risks of heart and kidney disease and strokes. :)

Have you been suffering with an upset tummy? Have you been keeping yourself hydrated? These factors will lower BP. Also, if you have been ill recently and vomiting, this will also be a contributing factor??

Abi
10-11-2006, 16:34
My word, what is the NHS coming to?:angry:

Good news for you though is people with low BP have lower risks of heart and kidney disease and strokes. :)

Have you been suffering with an upset tummy? Have you been keeping yourself hydrated? These factors will lower BP. Also, if you have been ill recently and vomiting, this will also be a contributing factor??

I've been drinking so much more recently, cause i thought that might be the reason why i got dizzy and fainted and stuff, but it doesn't make a difference. And i haven't been ill recently... Last time i was ill was last Christmas, and i only started getting fainting in March/April time.

Dont mind having a lower risk of Heart attacks and strokes and stuff though!!

Might try ringing back again during the week, but i know what they're like. They only ever give you an appointment if you've got chest pains, and even then, they fob you off to the Hospital most the time.

Dr. Tangliss
10-11-2006, 16:38
You GP sounds horrible!:(

Defo give them a ring in the week, make out it's urgent.

Normal BP is 120/80, so 84/53 is pretty low. But as long as you feel ok then it shouldn't really pose a problem.