PDA

View Full Version : I think my drinking is getting out of control.......

Rach33
22-10-2006, 15:20
I was wondering if anyone could help I'm worried my drinking is getting out of control I don't drink much in the week but when I go out I drink alot I know I'm a binge drinker and I know the health warnings but I can't help myself I just do it, not even for fun now but just to get drunk I won't go home until I'm really drunk and I'm scared something bad is going to happen while I'm out or I'm going to get ill but I can't stop................

crazygirl
22-10-2006, 15:50
enjoy life while your still young! its when you drink everynight that you start to worry!! when i was young i used to get bladdered every fri/sat night!
i have woke up on a bench and in shop door ways a few times!!

Mr Humphries
25-10-2006, 18:59
I was wondering if anyone could help I'm worried my drinking is getting out of control I don't drink much in the week but when I go out I drink alot I know I'm a binge drinker and I know the health warnings but I can't help myself I just do it, not even for fun now but just to get drunk I won't go home until I'm really drunk and I'm scared something bad is going to happen while I'm out or I'm going to get ill but I can't stop................

Well being a professional drinker and owning pubs. I best help you out? Can I ask how you drink?

di marco
30-10-2006, 17:56

well if you think you have a problem its good youre asking for help. maybe just try not to go out every week and stay in instead, that way you wont drink? or only take enough money with you for a few drinks, that way you wont get drunk? other than that im not really sure what to suggest, but to be honest, i dont think youre drinking is too bad, people i know get drunk every single night and start drinking at about 2pm lol!

Mr Humphries
30-10-2006, 19:01
well if you think you have a problem its good youre asking for help. maybe just try not to go out every week and stay in instead, that way you wont drink? or only take enough money with you for a few drinks, that way you wont get drunk? other than that im not really sure what to suggest, but to be honest, i dont think youre drinking is too bad, people i know get drunk every single night and start drinking at about 2pm lol!

Drinking at 2pm I start sometimes when I get up off a morning, it somehow gives me enough energy to cope with the rest of the day, its not good, but its how I cope at the moment

di marco
30-10-2006, 19:19
Drinking at 2pm I start sometimes when I get up off a morning, it somehow gives me enough energy to cope with the rest of the day, its not good, but its how I cope at the moment

yeh but this is everyday they start at that time, sometimes earlier but they never start later than that!

Mr Humphries
30-10-2006, 19:30
I start everyday di marco ! Usually get up at 6.30 go straight down to the bar and have a large scotch ! Have done for the last 18 months then have usually start drink wine from 10ish

stacyefc
20-11-2006, 20:12
to be honest i drink alot too i always go out on weekends and i drink through the week but its only now and again when i get really really drunk where i don't remember. try drinking bottles like wkd, smirnoff ice and that they don't really get u drunk.

DaVeyWaVey
20-11-2006, 21:00
I only drink occasionally at friends parties, i'll have a bottle of alcohol and that's once every few months lol!

Meh
21-11-2006, 00:20
enjoy life while your still young! its when you drink everynight that you start to worry!! when i was young i used to get bladdered every fri/sat night!
i have woke up on a bench and in shop door ways a few times!!

Sensible advise I see. :thumbsdow

From British Liver Trust (http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/content/diseases/alcohol.asp)

When you drink alcohol it is quickly absorbed directly into the blood stream from the stomach and upper part of the gut (small intestine). The absorbed alcohol then passes through the liver and subsequently into the blood stream where it reaches all organs in the body. Although most tissues are capable of breaking down alcohol, this is mainly carried out by the liver, where alcohol is eventually converted into water and carbon dioxide, which is removed through the lungs.

Since the liver sees the highest concentrations of alcohol, it is one of the organs in the body most prone to developing alcohol related problems. However, alcohol also causes toxic effects on other organs in the body including the brain, heart, muscles and pancreas.

Almost all excessive drinkers will develop the first stage of alcoholic liver disease fatty liver. This is a ‘side-effect’ of the liver breaking down alcohol into carbon dioxide and water. Fatty liver disappears when patients stop drinking excessively. If patients continue drinking excessively then a proportion (around 20-30%) will develop the next stage of alcoholic liver disease - alcoholic hepatitis. In this condition, the liver becomes inflamed and in its extreme form, patients can die of liver failure.

An even smaller proportion of patients (around 10%) will develop a permanently scarred and damaged liver (cirrhosis), if they continue to drink excessively.

Why certain heavy drinkers remain at the stage of fatty liver and others progress to alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis is not known at present, although undoubtedly, the more you drink and the greater the frequency and duration of heavy drinking, the more likely you are to develop the more advanced forms of disease. Recent evidence suggests that being overweight increases the risk of developing serious alcoholic liver disease and as yet largely unidentified genetic (inherited) factors may also be important.

Other harm caused by alcohol

Excessive drinking can also cause:

stomach disorders

pancreatitis leading to diabetes
high blood pressure

heart muscle damage leading to heart failure
strokes

cardiac rhythm disturbances

sudden cardiac death

vitamin deficiencies

sexual difficulties
problems with the brain
depression
problems with nerves in the limb
cancer of the liver, mouth, throat, gullet, large bowel and breast.

People seem to have the dumb misconception that they can get a new liver. No, you can't. For a liver transplant to happen, someone has to die, donate their liver and then that liver has to match. The waiting list is huge and guess what? If you're an alcoholic, you're right at the bottom of the list.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
21-11-2006, 07:51
God I never get taught half them things at school! I don't drink and I'm not planning to drink more than a glass when I can drink :lol: + If not.. nothing!

di marco
21-11-2006, 17:52
i didnt know all that either. i dont drink excessively, just cos one of my mums aunts is an alky and i dont wanna turn out how shes turned out. i was shocked when my sis told me that some girl in her year at school (my sis is 16) was rushed into hospital cos she had got liver spots from drinking too much! :eek:

pookie1968uk
22-11-2006, 08:40
Sensible advise I see. :thumbsdow

From British Liver Trust (http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/content/diseases/alcohol.asp)

People seem to have the dumb misconception that they can get a new liver. No, you can't. For a liver transplant to happen, someone has to die, donate their liver and then that liver has to match. The waiting list is huge and guess what? If you're an alcoholic, you're right at the bottom of the list.
im glad to see someone highlighting the dangers of drinking. i work with alcoholics and drug addicts in a drop in centre and it would stop a lot of people drinking to excess if you could see how these people live their lives in such a mess. our country will have an eperdemic of people with liver failure in 20 years time and no one seems too bothered that they could be one of them.
sorry to get on my high horse but alcohol is really deadly and it doesnt take much for it to take over some ones life.

Rain_
22-11-2006, 17:32
I was a huge binge drinker at one point. Didn't think I was doing any harm as it was only weekends.

I'm now diabetic. Wether or not this has stemmed from the drinking has not been proven...only suggested, but it was enough to give me a huge body shock.

Please don't think that just because you don't drink from morning till night every day, that you don't have a problem. Whilst you may not be categorised as "an alcoholic" in most peoples eyes if you just drink socially, the problems often start inside your body where you can't see them.

My diet sucks and i'm often tired all the time. There are a number of other issues I have to deal with too because of my illness and all there is in the back of my mind is "I wish I hadn't drunk so much"

Not preaching, just a bit of advice from someone who's been there :)

Kylie
06-02-2007, 23:27
to be honest some of the advice on this thread is a tad nuts - binge drinking is bad for you, why do you think it is in the news so much these days.
I know its a bit of a cliche but you dont have to drink to have fun when you are out.
My own opinion is that there are so many better things that you can spend your money on, what is the point of spending 40 quid on something you are going to wee out the next day - or be sick later that night! Sorry to be so crude about it. I remember getting very drunk and very ill when I was 16 and have drunk rarely since.
I think you need to look at the deeper issue of why you are drinking rather than how much you are drinking. Address that then you will be able to address the drinking.
You think you have a problem then that is the first step.

DaVeyWaVey
19-05-2008, 23:40
I only drink occasionally at friends parties, i'll have a bottle of alcohol and that's once every few months lol!

Oh my god! I posted this nearly 2 years ago - how much I've changed! I'm drinking/getting drunk every weekend now. :lol:

But I am aware of the dangers and I have found my limit so I try and stick to it best I can. :)

Perdita
20-05-2008, 06:10
Have you considered getting advice from Alcoholics Anonymus? My mum was an alcoholic, I used to come home from school and she would be reeling all over the place, dinner was burnt etc. Then I got hit with coat hangers or the dog lead if I upset her somehow, which I would do, whatever I said or did. If you want to end up like that, a bully who can't control yourself, please continue drinking until you are totally bladdered. If not, get help before you are totally addicted, it can be done. And yes, I do drink and sometimes suffer from a hangover, but not every day or every weekend. It is possible to have just one or two glasses of wine at night time or to go without alcohol all together.

Siobhan
20-05-2008, 09:22

Oh my god! I posted this nearly 2 years ago - how much I've changed! I'm drinking/getting drunk every weekend now. :lol:

But I am aware of the dangers and I have found my limit so I try and stick to it best I can. :)

Davey.. you will go through phase like that.. at 18 I was drinking pints and vodka etc.. but after I was ill all the time and had banging hangovers, I went on to alcho pops... now I don't drink at all and still have fun.. It is all to do with grown up and experimenting and control.. if you are losing control too often or you feel you can't have fun without a drink then maybe you will develop a problem

Abigail
20-05-2008, 11:54

You'll get bored of coming home drunk and waking up the next morning not knowing where you are or how you got home eventually.

I had a problem with drink when I was about 15. Every weekend I used to get paralytic to the point where I ended up in hospital several times. It wasn't until I ended up in hospital after drinking two litres of cider and a bottle of vodka that I realised what I was doing. By then it was too late, they kept me in hospital for a while whilst they ran loads of tests, including one for alcoholic hepatitis. My liver was ok thankfully. (And I'm not an alcoholic btw).

I don't drink now. When I do I think its a fab idea to get smashed but seriously regret it the next morning when I can't move for the pain in my kidneys.

Abbie
20-05-2008, 20:43
Ive never drink all the time, I only get very drunk at parties that are once every few months, unless its part season :D

Perdita
21-05-2008, 21:48
I am a Victim Support Volunteer and most referrals I deal with that are rape/sexual assault related all happen when the girls have had alcohol, most think they did not have "that much", but sadly they had too much not to know what was happening to them and they were not in control any more. My advice is that the occasional drink is ok but when you feel your drink going to your head, STOP drinking alcohol and have water or other soft drinks for the rest of the night. That way you should get home safe and sound, especially if you are out on your own.

CrazyLea
21-05-2008, 23:44
As someone who goes out probably too much.. it's really hard to have a few drinks and then stop. Particularly if you are with other people who are all drinking.. :(

Abbie
21-05-2008, 23:45
I wathced Loose women today and they were talking about do we really know how much units are in are drinks. As women should only drink 14 units a week

CrazyLea
21-05-2008, 23:47
I have no idea about how many units are in drinks. Last year went to this Top Drive thing, which gave us a leaflet on the units and stuff... but I read it once and don't remember any of it.

I probs drink too many units a week.

Chloe O'brien
21-05-2008, 23:54
Another idea is to limit the amount booze you drink is to swap every second drink for a soft drink or water.

Kirsty :]
22-05-2008, 00:05
Ohhh never thought of doing that!
I'm pretty good with my drink anyways
It doesn't take alot if I do get drunk
But I never let myself get out of control to the point I can't stand or am throwing up
Don't get me wrong I've had banging hangovers... and they're not fun! So I avoid those too now

People who think they have a problem with alcohol have already taken the first step by admitting it. But maybe it's not down to just going out being social... there's usually a deeper reason for the drinking and I think, if the drinking is to stop or at least calm down alot then the real reason behind the drinking needs to be found out first.

I'm just babbling now so I'm shutting up and retiring to bed for the night :)

di marco
22-05-2008, 10:22
As someone who goes out probably too much.. it's really hard to have a few drinks and then stop. Particularly if you are with other people who are all drinking.. :(

i agree, especially if i havent been out for a while. if for some reason i cant drink a particular night i wont go out, unless its a special occassion, cos i hate being the only sober one, its not fun!

di marco
22-05-2008, 10:22
I wathced Loose women today and they were talking about do we really know how much units are in are drinks. As women should only drink 14 units a week

yeh i saw this advert yesterday, a glass of wine has 3 units in it! and it said women should only have 2 - 3 units a day

Abigail
22-05-2008, 16:01

I went out on Tuesday and drank the cocktail list which is about 9 cocktails. Each had three or four shot in each one so I was well over the guide. I didn't actually realise how much I'd drunk until I totted it up yesterday. Surprisingly I didn't have a hangover at all :searchme:

Abbie
22-05-2008, 16:06

I went out on Tuesday and drank the cocktail list which is about 9 cocktails. Each had three or four shot in each one so I was well over the guide. I didn't actually realise how much I'd drunk until I totted it up yesterday. Surprisingly I didn't have a hangover at all :searchme:

But I thought you said you were still drunk at 9am :p

Abigail
22-05-2008, 16:12

But I thought you said you were still drunk at 9am :p

There's a difference between being drunk and being hungover. I went back to bed until 12pm. When I got up I was fine.

Abbie
22-05-2008, 16:16
:p, wow you were lucky then.
I dont get hangovers often and I have only been sick when I drunk once, even though I was sick lots

di marco
22-05-2008, 16:42
I dont get hangovers often and I have only been sick when I drunk once, even though I was sick lots

i never get hangovers. even when ive passed out and been sick, i wake up the next day feeling fine. no one else can ever believe it!

Abbie
22-05-2008, 16:45
lol no, this one time I cant remember half the night, I went asleep at one point and then woke up to me sick, I felt awful the rest of the day, so what did I do? I went dancing :)

Abigail
22-05-2008, 16:48

i never get hangovers. even when ive passed out and been sick, i wake up the next day feeling fine. no one else can ever believe it!

I never get hangovers either. In a way I wish I did, it might be a deterrent and stop me drinking so much.

di marco
22-05-2008, 16:53

I never get hangovers either. In a way I wish I did, it might be a deterrent and stop me drinking so much.

i was saying last week to my housemates that i want a hangover just so i can experience what its like lol! i dont know how i do it, i can get up the next day, go to all my lectures, then play netball and i feel fine when everyone else looks like death! and i can always remember whats happened the night before no matter how drunk i get!

Abigail
22-05-2008, 16:56
can always remember whats happened the night before no matter how drunk i get!

I can't. I never know how I get home or what the hell I got up to.

di marco
22-05-2008, 16:58
can always remember whats happened the night before no matter how drunk i get!

I can't. I never know how I get home or what the hell I got up to.

see i can and its so funny! last year when i passed out in my mates room, i woke up the next day and he was trying to take the mick saying all the things id done, he was quite surprised when i recalled to him exactly what happened the night before! he was like "how can you know, you were unconcious!" i quite like it in a way, id hate to not know what happened

Behemoth
22-05-2008, 18:09

i was saying last week to my housemates that i want a hangover just so i can experience what its like lol! i dont know how i do it, i can get up the next day, go to all my lectures, then play netball and i feel fine when everyone else looks like death! and i can always remember whats happened the night before no matter how drunk i get!
I've had a few nasty hangovers and you definitely don't want one! I tend to feel so bad that I'd rather die than keep feeling that way!

DaVeyWaVey
22-05-2008, 18:10
I can remember what I've done when I wake up the next morning weirdly too.. I don't usually get hangovers, only a slight headache or I feel rather ill the next morning sometimes.. so I do get minor hangovers every now and again.

StarsOfCCTV
22-05-2008, 18:12
I don't ever get hangovers. I'm Polish :lol: Don't drink that often though. When I'm 18 I guess I'll go down the pub and out to clubs, can't be bothered sneaking in underage :p

DaVeyWaVey
22-05-2008, 18:14
I don't bother sneaking into clubs underage either, but the local club down town actually sells alcohol underage - you don't even have to show I.D! Just ask for a pint and they give you one and that's when the club is hired for sixthform parties.

StarsOfCCTV
22-05-2008, 18:27
Yeah tesco near me never ask for ID. I don't look old enough though :p Plus drinking at home is comfier :lol: Yes I am lazy :o

Perdita
22-05-2008, 18:35
Can't afford to go out as I live too far away from a pub, which means lots of dosh for a taxi, therefore we drink at home most of the time; unfortunately soft drinks are more expensive than beer :angry: I wish pubs and clubs would change that, it would stop a lot of drinking and driving, I am sure.

StarsOfCCTV
22-05-2008, 19:06
That puts me to shame my pub is only up the road so is Tesco :o I agree taxis are so expensive there is a £5 charge even before you are in the cab (and it's been a while since I've been in one!) I normally take the bus luckily there is a 24 hour one near me.

di marco
22-05-2008, 19:06

I've had a few nasty hangovers and you definitely don't want one! I tend to feel so bad that I'd rather die than keep feeling that way!

haha thats what my housemate said! i just want to experience one once in my life! although saying that i dont actually want to feel like dying lol!

di marco
22-05-2008, 19:08
That puts me to shame my pub is only up the road so is Tesco :o I agree taxis are so expensive there is a £5 charge even before you are in the cab (and it's been a while since I've been in one!) I normally take the bus luckily there is a 24 hour one near me.

yeh taxis are so expensive, it costs me nearly £10 to get from uni to my house after midnight in a cab. the buses stop running at 11ish so not much else i can do if i want to go out :(

Kirsty :]
22-05-2008, 21:44
I drink at house parties.. I don't go to Pubs yet. All my friends think its amazing but I don't see what's so great.
It would just take the fun away of your 18th and thinking yes I can finally go to a Pub or Club... so I'm happy to wait and drink at house parties for now :)

Although we do get served when we have out Sixth Form Parties haha

Sadly, I ALWAYS get hangovers! It's horrible :( My new ritual is come in and if I'm quite bad then make myself a cup of tea and toast come on here and wait until I'm soberish :) Haha

Abbie
22-05-2008, 21:48
The only time I tried to get into a club, I got in :D They didnt even look

StarsOfCCTV
22-05-2008, 21:50
The one's near me check for ID and they have scanner light things so they can check it's authentic! :thumbsdow

Abbie
22-05-2008, 21:53
The one's near me check for ID and they have scanner light things so they can check it's authentic! :thumbsdow

Thats good in way, but not if you want to get.
Im not even 17 yet :(

StarsOfCCTV
22-05-2008, 23:06
Yeah I don't particularly have the need or want at the moment. I don't really feel peer pressure. A few friends tried to get me to smoke once but I was just like - no. And that was the end of it :p

I'll come buy you drink Abbie. In 5 months. :lol:

Abbie
22-05-2008, 23:21
Yay :cheer: We should all go to a pub :p

di marco
23-05-2008, 10:18
;574469']Sadly, I ALWAYS get hangovers! It's horrible :( My new ritual is come in and if I'm quite bad then make myself a cup of tea and toast come on here and wait until I'm soberish :) Haha

i always have cheese and orange juice when i get in after a night out before i go to bed (well mostly anyway!), and i had a glass of milk one time, that helped when the room was spinning!

Perdita
23-05-2008, 11:49
Drinking a pint of water before going to bed helps as well, but who fancies drinking that much on top of what you have had already and then you have to go to the loo every couple of hours (I do, that's for sure :lol: )

Abigail
23-05-2008, 11:50
Water makes me feel sick after a night on the lash. Its bad enough getting out of bed to go to the loo without adding another pint on top :lol:

Abbie
23-05-2008, 11:55
Water only helps me, BE sick

DaVeyWaVey
23-05-2008, 12:06
One rule for drinking : never mix chocolate cake with alcohol. I did this on my birthday when I was really drunk. I ate the majority of my birthday cake and I was eventually sick about 5 times...my lesson has been learnt.

Perdita
23-05-2008, 12:08
One rule for drinking : never mix chocolate cake with alcohol. I did this on my birthday when I was really drunk. I ate the majority of my birthday cake and I was eventually sick about 5 times...my lesson has been learnt.

If you eat the majority of your cholcolate birthday cake, you are bound to be poorly, whether you have alcohol or not. :lol:

Siobhan
23-05-2008, 12:12

If you eat the majority of your cholcolate birthday cake, you are bound to be poorly, whether you have alcohol or not. :lol:

but you always blame it on the food never the alcohol..It was that burger you ate after drinking 2 bottles of wine that makes you sick :rotfl::rotfl:

di marco
23-05-2008, 22:32

but you always blame it on the food never the alcohol..It was that burger you ate after drinking 2 bottles of wine that makes you sick :rotfl::rotfl:

lol so so true! its always something like "the takeaway must have been dodgy and made me feel ill!"

Perdita
23-05-2008, 22:35
I have only ever been ill once after eating a prawn curry bought in a take away in Hastings, got the doctor's notes to prove it :p Any ill feelings after alcohol were definitely down to too much booze and not what I had for my tea :lol:

DaVeyWaVey
16-08-2009, 19:21
Hmm .. out for the third night in a row... I think I need to sort myself out a bit or isn't that too bad?

Abigail
16-08-2009, 19:31
It's not bad at all, lots of people go on benders at a weekend.

Wait till you get to uni and you're drinking six nights out of seven. As long as you're not drinking to excess i.e. throwing up, and its not every weekend, you'll be ok.

Chris_2k11
16-08-2009, 19:31
Don't really think your doing anything wrong there davey lol

Hannelene
16-08-2009, 19:47
I go for an hour to the pub every night or every other night after work for an hour with friends. Its just to be social we drink a few drinks then home for dinner some people say its too much for us its just social

Meh
16-08-2009, 20:55
Person I work with is constantly drinking. After work he just consumes, and on weekends he is generally drunk. I dread to think the state of his liver

Hannelene
16-08-2009, 21:08
My manager is like that he is always at the local Wetherspoons on Stella and at the weekends he is out with his mates. I wonder sometimes how he manages to hold down a job and marriage as I think its starting to affect him. He is starting to fray around the edges a little and if it wasnt for the sunshine I think under his tanned skin his cheeks would be slightly red!

Meh
16-08-2009, 21:13
I must say the drink doesn't affect the person I work with. Even drunk he is more intelligent than most. I put is down to him being left handed

Hannelene
16-08-2009, 21:17
lol my manager he is smartest person when drunk he always seems to able to hold an in depth conversation with you eventhough he has had many shots of southern comfort washed down by stella!

DaVeyWaVey
13-09-2009, 23:33
I am still worried about how much I drink. I can't help but be really paranoid, so I'm not going to drink for 7 days.

I am such a worrier, but after that 19 year old boy had liver failure after one weekend of binge drinking, I grow extremely concerned about my health and the amount that I drink.

Abbie
14-09-2009, 00:26
I can understand why that story would make you worry but im sure you have nothing to worry about, how much do you drink?

DaVeyWaVey
14-09-2009, 00:30
In a week, I usually go out three nights on average and I drink about 6 whiskys and 4 pints altogether...

This week I have drank half a bottle of wine, a bottle of Corona, a pint of Stella, a pint of Bulmers and 5-7 whiskys..

I don't know if that's bad? I feel like it is! It will be refreshing to not drink for a week anyway :)

Abbie
14-09-2009, 00:33
Im sure thats not bad, to reassure you, you can always check the units.

I go weeks without drinking and cos I go weeks without drinking Im never that sure on units

Trinity
14-09-2009, 08:26
I think that you are within the 21 units limit, Davey, but it would probably be good to give your liver a rest every now and again :)

Abigail
14-09-2009, 09:16
I am such a worrier, but after that 19 year old boy had liver failure after one weekend of binge drinking, I grow extremely concerned about my health and the amount that I drink.

It was more than just one weekend of binge drinking that brought his liver failure on. If it were the case, 90% of the students in the UK would need new livers.

His story has huge holes in it and unless you have something wrong with your liver and/or kidneys, one weekend of binge drinking is unlikely to cause liver failure. I'm not advocating getting smashed for several days in a row but drinking in moderation can be good for you (depends what you drink though).

Unit calculator (http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and-tools/drink-diary/) to see how much you're drinking.

Chloe O'brien
20-09-2009, 02:03
Sorry I don't mean to be rude but were do you all get the money to drink so much in a week. When I was 16-18 I only went out friday and saturday night as that was all I could afford. I don't want to preach to you especially the ones who have just left home for uni for the first time, but have you thought about not drinking at all during the week, only at weekends.

Trinity
20-09-2009, 08:43
That is so true Kath, when I was a student I only went out at the weekend.

I am thinking about how much of my hard earned cash I am going to have to give my boys when they go to uni (eldest will start next year) and I really would rather that they earned whatever they spent on going out.

I am planning on paying for catered halls (first year), books, travel, gym I don't know what else.

How much do other folks get from their parents. I had added it up and came to about £7.5K p.a in term time. They can either come home in the vacation or get a job (or preferably both!)

I don't think that it is unreasonable for them to get a saturday job or something to pay for nights out - what do you think?

In Scotland we do not have to pay tuition fees (although the English students do, they are half the price of the ones in England).

I have looked at the loans that the boys could take out and they are limited to £915 p.a.

Abigail
20-09-2009, 10:09
The only problem with catered halls is that you have to be there during a certain time frame to get anything decent to eat.

My parents don't give me anything, which is my choice. I'd rather learn to stand on my own two feet now and budget and live within my means than rely on my parents. I get enough maintenance loan and grants to live on so my situation is different from yours.

All in last year, including loan, grant, bursary and overdraft I spent almost 8k. But I did buy things I didn't need, too many takeaways etc. I could have easily cut my outgoings down.

Bryan
20-09-2009, 10:42
i blame the cheap drinks offers that are always going around for this surge in binge drinking. pints for a £1, a shot and mixer for £1, doubles for £2, glass of wine for £2.50, a bottle of wine for £4. Is it any wonder people get drunk so much?

Abbie
20-09-2009, 12:11
My parents dont arent going to going to give me anything.
Im using my loan for playing for my accomodation.
My mum has told me she is going to give me a little bit of money each week for food,and the only reason shes doing this is because after I pay for my accomodation theres like not much left, and I picked the second to cheapest one!

Trinity
20-09-2009, 12:53
I do think that it is unfair that students eligibility for loans is dependent on their parents income. Basically some students have the ability to be independent from their parents and others just don't.

That said, I graduated with no debt, and I would rather my boys didn't have to.

Unfortunately if we don't pay our kids will not be able to go to uni - no grants and minimum loan of £915 p.a. is not going to go far. This has got to effect some people who do not get on with their parents.

I am thinking about buying a flat when son number one is in 2nd year, but hubby says that it isn't fair to expect our boys (who are 2 years apart in age) to live together at uni and I think it is socially essential to stay in halls for first year so we are in for an expensive time.

I am worried about the 2 or 3 years when both the boys will be at Uni, I have checked and even when both boys are at uni they will only be entitled to the minimum loan each.

I can see us having to fork out £15K p.a. for 2 -3 years.

Siobhan
21-09-2009, 10:07
I couldn't get the grant cause I was living at home with my parents before I started Uni and I was 26 at the time..