PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Oliver School Meal Thoughts

adorableangel
16-10-2006, 22:18
calling all pupils, parents and teachers!

i am a student researching school dinners and the effect jamie olivers 'feed me better' campagne has had on different schools and children.
i would like to know everybodies view,opinions and thoughts.

what do children eat at schools these days? is it healthy? has jamie olivers campaigne been successful

Londoner
17-10-2006, 09:36
Yes i think Jamie Oliver has done an excellent job at getting the schools to feed children more healthy food, my daughter attends a Greenwich School where the scheme was first introduced and met Jamie and the other cooks and sang that song!!:D

My daughter then went on to raise money for a healthy tuck shop, which is still running.

I also feel that as a parent this has encourged me to give my child healthier food, which i now do! I also think it encourges the children to think more healthy about what they eat.

At my daughters school which is the same as all schools in the Greenwich Borough they only serve healthy school meals, they are not allowed to give them junk food anymore!

I hope this helps
:cheer:

adorableangel
17-10-2006, 21:39
thats brilliant thankyou for your view, im sure this will help me with my project!

Tori
18-10-2006, 14:58
Okay, at my secondary school it helped no end. when i first went 5 years ago there was nothing but chips and burgers (one of our cafés was designed in a mcdonalds style) but when i left there wasn't a chip or burger in sight it was all pasta, baked potatoes etc and there weren't any fizzy drinks either. whenever i had a dinner i enjoyed it. So I think that it's had a positive impact and although Jamie Olivers campaign wasn't around 5 years ago, since Jamie Oliver brought it into the headlines it improved no end and i just wish that all this applied to colleges!

crazygirl
18-10-2006, 15:13
well i was reading in my local rag that chippys have been busy since all this healthy eating and i have to say when ive been in town ive seen loads of kids eating chips and munching pies!! i asked my daughter about this and she said the canteen isnt busy

true.moon
18-10-2006, 16:16
I would like to eat healthy foofd at school. Our school has got better but not brilliant. I always have packed lunches anways but if i did have to have hot meals I would prefer healthy. Love what he is doing. Needs to be done.

Londoner
18-10-2006, 16:24
I have just remembered something funny, so i thought i would share it with you. It does have to do with School dinners!:angel:

My daughter came home the other day from school and told me that her friend had been given a voucher for a free school meal, so i asked her if she had also got one (there best friends!) to which she replied that she was not given a free school meal, thinking that this was a little unfair, i said to her, "why did you not get a free school meal" to which she replied " coz i didn't get a SNAIL in my salad!" :rotfl: The worst thing is it was true!:thumbsup:

pip_kin
19-10-2006, 17:35
i hate him for doing it, its good in away i supose but at high school you are old enough to choose what you wish to eat and not have to be told we nothing in are vending machines now is it like that in all schools now?!

nicole28
20-10-2006, 11:22
I think it's cool that he is trying to make schools healthier but he can't expect children to really like the food.

EE Rocks
23-10-2006, 13:13
I dont like him or the idea!!! Now i am not obese or anything and i do excercise and that but now they have taken away crisps, fizzy drinks etc and left us with a sandwiches and juice? I don't even like the food anymore, and when we had crisps, buiscuits that filled me up, how is a sandwich and juice supposed to fill us up!! I hate the idea, bloody Jamie oliver:angry::mad: !!

Pinkbanana
23-10-2006, 13:19
I think Jamie Oliver highlighted the dire state of school meals being provided in schools, and I think school meals have improved no end.

However, there is need for more investment by the government. Also children should be educated to make an informed choice about what they are eating rather than having that choice made for them.....ie no chips on the menu.

Kim
24-10-2006, 22:06
My school could be worse, but it could be better. When I started there they served chips every day, and alternated between things such as sausage rolls, pizza, cheeseburgers etc for a main accompaniment.

I got into year 8 and they were serving more and more sausage rolls, and less burgers. Pasta, salad meals and wraps were also introduced.

In year 9 they changed it so that they sold pizza every day, chips once a week and only sold sausage rolls and burgers at the first break as it is the shortest. Chips were sold once a week. They got rid of all fizzy drinks with the exception of flavoured water, got a vending machine full of various still flavoured waters but got rid of it a few months later, which I thought gave the totally wrong impression of what we should be drinking.

Now they're still selling the pizza, sell hot rolls with various meats in them and only have the chips once a fortnight. They've got rid of all the sports drinks because of the sugar content and have replaced them with juices and milkshakes. They only sell crisps at the first break. Chocolate cakes etc are still sold as they have like one piece of fruit in them. The thing I find most disturbing is that they say they are trying to encourage healthy eating but they price the healthy food higher than the unhealthy food.