PDA

View Full Version : Nosebleeds.

CrazyLea
02-10-2006, 17:34
Lately I've been having quite a few nosebleeds. I had one the other week which lasted about an hour, and I had one this morning and yesterday morning, which weren't that long, and one Saturday evening, which was like the one yesterday and today. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything much about them, like why they happen, and can I do anything to stop them happening, and stuff. I hate them, they scare me hah! I also get headaches with them so it's rather annoying! My mum said if it carries on, I should go to the doctors, but I really don't want to lol. also does anyone else get them?

Jojo
02-10-2006, 21:26
Found some info for you hun:

What should I do when I get a nosebleed?

A nosebleed can be scary to get--or see--but try to stay calm. Most nosebleeds look much worse than they really are. Almost all nosebleeds can be treated at home.

If you get a nosebleed, sit down and lean slightly forward. Keeping your head above your heart will make your nose bleed less. Lean forward so the blood will drain out of your nose instead of down the back of your throat. If you lean back, you may swallow the blood. This can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Use your thumb and index finger to squeeze together the soft portion of your nose. This area is located between the end of your nose and the hard, bony ridge that forms the bridge of your nose. Keep holding your nose until the bleeding stops. Don't let go for at least 5 minutes. If it's still bleeding, hold it again for 10 minutes straight.

You can also place a cold compress or an ice pack across the bridge of your nose.

Once the bleeding stops, don't do anything that may make it start again, such as bending over or blowing your nose.

What causes nosebleeds?

The most common causes are dryness (often caused by indoor heat in the winter) and nose picking. These two things work together--nose picking occurs more often when mucus in the nose is dry and crusty.

Other, less common, causes include injuries, colds, allergies or cocaine use. Children may stick small objects up the nose. Older people may have atherosclerosis ("hardening of the arteries"), infections, high blood pressure and blood clotting disorders, or they may be taking drugs like aspirin that interfere with blood clotting. The cause of nosebleeds often can't be determined.

Why is the nose prone to bleeding?

Blame it on anatomy. The nose has many blood vessels in it to help warm and humidify the air you breathe. These vessels lie close to the surface, making them easy to injure.

See your doctor if:

The bleeding goes on for more than 15 minutes.
The bleeding was caused by an injury.
You get nosebleeds often.

Are nosebleeds serious?

Most aren't. Most nosebleeds occur in the front part of the nose and stop in a few minutes.

Tips on preventing nosebleeds

Keep children's fingernails short to discourage nose picking.
Counteract the drying effects of indoor heated air by using a humidifier at night in your bedroom.
Quit smoking. Smoking dries out your nose and also irritates it.
Open your mouth when you sneeze.

I get them a fair bit when its the Summer and my hayfever is bad, and the boys do too at this time of year.

CrazyLea
02-10-2006, 21:48
This info really does help actually Em!! Thanks! And makes me more at ease :p I knew to keep your head forward, but not for how long so that also helps :D

Jojo
02-10-2006, 21:53
No probs hun - just glad it helps :D

.:SpIcYsPy:.
02-10-2006, 22:01
I get them a fair bit when its the Summer and my hayfever is bad, and the boys do too at this time of year.
Same here with the hayfever and also when summer ends and winter starts and winter ends and summer starts :( :lol:

Debs
02-10-2006, 22:38
i get the quite a lot in the summer and when i have a cold, or when blood pressure goes a bit high!

my dad suffers with them and he goes to teh doc and gets him to do something which clears them for a bit, if they carry on id definately go!

my doctor told me that it could be that my nose is a bit dry and to put some vaseline just inside your nostril!!

di marco
02-10-2006, 22:40
i get nosebleeds loads, always have done. ive had some quite serious ones, where literally the blood has just poured out of my nose for at least 20mins - 30mins and ive had to just have my head over the toilet and let it all run out cos holding my nose doesnt help when theyre really bad. but sometimes theres only a few drops of blood and then its finished

Sam-Elle
03-10-2006, 19:23
My little sister (10) gets them quite alot of the time, like at the weekend we both were in the car and she had one, and then again the next day in topshop and they last really long,she dosent like them. Ive been getting used to it, you have to. They seem to happen when it gets too hot!
Me on the other hand, ive never had one before.

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-10-2006, 18:23
Use your thumb and index finger to squeeze together the soft portion of your nose. This area is located between the end of your nose and the hard, bony ridge that forms the bridge of your nose. Keep holding your nose until the bleeding stops. Don't let go for at least 5 minutes. If it's still bleeding, hold it again for 10 minutes straight.

Apparently you aint supposed to do that now your meant to just let it bleed till it stops

CrazyLea
04-10-2006, 18:26
Apparently you aint supposed to do that now your meant to just let it bleed till it stops

I'm not gunna let it bleed :p
Think i'll personally stick to pinching my nose, with kitchen roll under it..

Jojo
04-10-2006, 18:59
Apparently you aint supposed to do that now your meant to just let it bleed till it stops Since when?! NHS Direct (and all other Health "professionals") tell you to pinch your nose too, so I think I'll go along with that until I hear my own doctor tell me otherwise.

Treatment

If you are having a nosebleed you should:

Sit down and firmly pinch the soft part of your nasal cavity, just above your nostrils, together for 10 minutes.
Lean forward and breathe through your mouth.
Maintain the pressure on your nose for 15 minutes (time this on the clock) so that the blood clots.
The bleeding should stop and not start again, unless your nose is knocked or picked.
Avoid blowing your nose and strenuous activity for at least 12 hours after a nosebleed.

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-10-2006, 20:08
Dunno how long thats been the case, mum took me to the doctor cos i had one and it wasnt stopping and they asked mum if she had been pinching my nose and she said no (she knew you wasnt meant to because shes in the care industry and has to deal with stuff like that) and he said he was pleased she hadnt

Abi
04-10-2006, 22:19
I think you're meant to pinch your nose, tohelp the blood clot and stop bleeding, but just dont tilt your head back. That can cause it to rsh back to your head, and make you feel worse. I think they now advise tipping your head forwards more, but i'd check with a nurse or something if i were you.

CrazyLea
04-10-2006, 22:49
Yeah, if you tilt your head back, you can actually choke on the blood apparantly. But when I was little, I went to the doctors, and he told my mum to pinch my nose, and give me some ice or ice pop to suck on. And when I went to the hospital last year ( it was late and went on for well over an hour :p ) The nurse told me to sit forward and pinch my nose.. So maybe the Welsh doctors/nurses, are backwards lol.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
04-10-2006, 22:59
I heard pinch nose and tip head forwards and such cold stuff :)

Jojo
05-10-2006, 11:26
Yep - I can totally understand not tipping your head back, which was what used to be recommended, as as Lea said, you can choke on it, but by pinching your nose and tilting forwards, it helps the blood clot.

I have to see my doctor next week - I'll ask him then but for now - I'm still pinching :D

annaz
02-11-2006, 17:49
Nosebleeds are quite scary, I wake up a lot with it all down my nightie and my face. They're normally quite unsafe but they can be because of a burst blood vessel. When my auntie burst a blood vessel in her brain, she had loads of headaches and nosebleeds. If they go on for longer than an hour, I think you should go to your GP