PDA

View Full Version : No more Maths Coursework?

Abbie
28-09-2006, 21:09
What does everyone think about the fact that they are going to take away Maths coursework, i just cant belive it, I like coursework it means that there is slightly less pressure on you in the exam, if that makes any sense?

willow
28-09-2006, 21:11
i can't remember doing maths coursework!!! and i only left school 13 years ago!!!
i was the last year to do 100% english coursework ie no exam!!!!! very glad about that!!!!

Abi
28-09-2006, 21:14
I think it makes sense. The coursework i did was so easy, there was no point in it. Plus, it makes the exam seem more worthwhile doing. True, it takes the pressure off you, but if you do well on the exam, and not just from the coursework, then it'll make passing your exams and doing well mean more to you, then remembering the pointless coursework you did to acheive part of the grade.

Abbie
28-09-2006, 21:15
i can't remember doing maths coursework!!! and i only left school 13 years ago!!!
i was the last year to do 100% english coursework ie no exam!!!!! very glad about that!!!! Really you were lucky i hate english exams i never have enough time to write, anyway in maths i goes wrong somewhere cos of pressure.

Abbie
28-09-2006, 21:17
I think it makes sense. The coursework i did was so easy, there was no point in it. yes i think it makes sense in that way as i am finding the coursework easy.

Jojo
28-09-2006, 21:32
i was the last year to do 100% english coursework ie no exam!!!!! very glad about that!!!! I was the year before you Willow - no English exam or Maths coursework either.

I preferred the coursework I did have though, as for those that aren't good in exam situations (nerves etc) it allowed them a good chance to show what they were capable of, whereas if pure exam conditions, nerves could get the better of you and your marks not reflect what you could actually achieve. Thats my opinion anyway.

willow
28-09-2006, 21:36
i did prefered doing just coursework as you said ems the nerves can get you in an exam!!

Kim
28-09-2006, 22:05
I'd rather have no maths at all the way I'm feeling at the moment. I got a 7 and my teacher is so rubbish and I don't learn anything in the lessons. He gives us like 5 seconds to do questions and stuff and I'm like huh I can't work it out in that time. I agree it takes the pressure off you, and with it being easy to some I guess it makes those that aren't very good at maths feel good about themselves if they are able to do it reasonably well.

Chris_2k11
28-09-2006, 22:12
Maths coursework was a waste of time. We all just talked to each other in the class about it and the teacher just helped us with anything we needed to know about it. There wasn't exactly a lot to do either. And we only got two pieces.

Tori
28-09-2006, 22:15
It was pointless, any skills examined in the coursework was also examined in the exam, so it was repetition. it was stressful and for no reason what so ever. that's only my opinion

Cornishbabe
28-09-2006, 23:48
my maths coursework was really hard so our teacher helped us but we still had to write on the forms we had no help which in our opinions was lying. I dunno if it should stop beacuse it takes the pressure off the exa,ms

pookie1968uk
29-09-2006, 13:56
i dont know whether i am for or against coursework but there is no point having it in this case if people are just cheating.

Siobhan
29-09-2006, 13:59
i dont know whether i am for or against coursework but there is no point having it in this case if people are just cheating.

yeah that is always the downside of continous assessment and coursework, people cheat more and end up getting the same result as someone who works at it and tries to learn
On the other hand, it is great to help people who just freeze in exam suitations.. They are great student and know their stuff, they just can't do exams

Katy
29-09-2006, 14:10
i think they should get rid of it, it was the biggest waste of time ever. Who cares how many words on average is in a sentence in the dailiy mail newspaper. It was really stressful as i could never work out the formula.

Abbie
29-09-2006, 15:56
It may be a waste of time, but still you had more time on it thatn the actual exam, i think thats the worst part about the exams, is the time, thinking you will run out.

squillyfer
29-09-2006, 15:57
I'm doing my maths coursework now and its a complete waste of time, it in no way shows my maths skill sbecause nearly eneryones in the class is the same!! I would rather do and extra exam

Abbie
29-09-2006, 16:15
I just love the idea of coursework as we know how well we have done on it and get a chance to improve on it.

Katy
29-09-2006, 16:17
im the opposite and im more of an exam person unless its something practical like art. I prefer to go in the exam and get it over with. Coursework you see how good everyone elses is and it makes you feel depressed.

squillyfer
29-09-2006, 17:36
I like exams I think they test more what a person has learnt because with coursework you can just learn it as you go along then forget about it, with an exam it tests if you have remembered something in the long term

Chloe-Elise
29-09-2006, 18:06
Definitely get rid of it, I've been doing mine for the past two weeks, its been a waste of time and its totally pointless.

Emma-Lou
29-09-2006, 18:25
I stay in Scotland and we dont get coursework so it rest all on the exam which is stressful though but it really does show what you have learned.

di marco
29-09-2006, 19:37
our maths cw was pointless, id so much have prefered to just do exams

Abbie
29-09-2006, 20:39
I like exams I think they test more what a person has learnt because with coursework you can just learn it as you go along then forget about it, with an exam it tests if you have remembered something in the long term Yer i agree with that, but for me personally my coursework allows me more time and in exams i dont cope so well

Tamzi
29-09-2006, 21:58
I'm doing my second piece right now and I think it depends on your maths ability on whether you agree or not.

I do a lot better on coursework than exams with maths, so I am glad I got to do it and I don't think it should be gooten rid of.

Another girl in my form hates coursework as she does really well in exams but terribly in coursework.

I don't think they should get it rid of it as it does really take the pressure of exams.

Abbie
06-10-2006, 16:16
This came up agian in lesson today and our teacher was saying that the coursework was brought in due to people being so nervous in exmas, but now too many cheat.

Sam-Elle
06-10-2006, 16:30
well im all up for it! as im doing my gcse's i see it as one less thing to do!

Abi
07-10-2006, 00:15
From looking at the news today, it looks like they're scrapping it from a lot more subjects. Geography, English Literature, Business Studies, Economics and Maths, if i remember right?

The only one i would be a bit worried about would be the English Lit. I always found that i could never write as well as i could in the exams, because of the timings and everything, so it could stop people showing really how good they are.

Maybe introducing more "Controlled Coursework", whereby they do it in silence in the lessons, but have as long as they need, could help stop cheating, but allow you to do as good as possible?

CrazyLea
07-10-2006, 00:29
One of my teachers in college, was saying that in a lot of Unniversitys, they've introduced this thing where they send away your work and it goes through a computer, and it highlights in different colours, stuff thats come from the internet. Like red is actual sentences that they found on a website and stuff... if you get me. But if this system is true, then I think they should use it alot more in schools. Could get to the bottom of plagerising sites...

di marco
07-10-2006, 14:46
From looking at the news today, it looks like they're scrapping it from a lot more subjects. Geography, English Literature, Business Studies, Economics and Maths, if i remember right?

i never did cw in business studies, but i was glad there was cw in english lit cos it gave you time to think out your essay and put in all the points you wanted too, in the exams i never had time and missed loads of stuff out

di marco
07-10-2006, 14:48
One of my teachers in college, was saying that in a lot of Unniversitys, they've introduced this thing where they send away your work and it goes through a computer, and it highlights in different colours, stuff thats come from the internet. Like red is actual sentences that they found on a website and stuff... if you get me. But if this system is true, then I think they should use it alot more in schools. Could get to the bottom of plagerising sites...

yeh they do do that, its a good idea in a way cos it stops people cheating but i heard that you can get done for plagarisim if theres 3 words in the same order which seems a bit silly. in a way its scary cos sometimes you plagarise slightly without meaning to or you dont reference properly

Sam-Elle
07-10-2006, 14:55
its like in languages people go on the internet and pay translators to write up their coursework. the free translators are rubbish and if you relied on them then you wouldnt pass!
i dont like the idea of the controled coursework, i find it hard doing coursework in class, its easier at home and alot quicker too.

Kim
07-10-2006, 16:48
So do I. I just can't stand the pressure of it all; together with the fact that I'm a slow writer and don't finish things half of the time. I just wish I was old enough to be in year 11 now and I wouldn't have to worry about the controlled coursework in science. I think I'd rather have no coursework than that as at least you can apply for extra time in exams.

Abbie
07-10-2006, 17:42
i dont like the idea of the controled coursework, i find it hard doing coursework in class, its easier at home and alot quicker too. I know me either, i like it at home when i can get more done, and keep the stuff at school do prepare for exmas, but i guess its the idea that people cheat nowadays

xXxJessxXx
07-10-2006, 22:00
I have never belived that your grade should be decided on just an exam anyway. Its not fair because not everyone is the same and some people are better at exams and the pressure than others. You learn for most of your life though schooling and one bad exam could ruin your whole GCSE. Whastd the point. Coursework seem more worthwhile to me because its actually putting your skills into practise instead of just answering random questions. Anyone can learn a few answers but learning when and where to use those answer is different and thats what course work is for. As well as giving you a little help with part of your grade already mad up before you even sit the exam, i think it helps you understand it more. I did my GCSE's last year and was glad of course work because i was dreding the exam and i did really well in my course work, so maybe my point is already pushed ot the keeping of it, because of that.

I think it should be half and half in all subjects. Its not fair to have one test make up your whole grade. You could have had a bad day or something or a particually hard test. With Course work you can show your abbility much more and boarden it that just writing answers on a stupid test paper.

Kim
08-10-2006, 11:25
I have never belived that your grade should be decided on just an exam anyway. Its not fair because not everyone is the same and some people are better at exams and the pressure than others. You learn for most of your life though schooling and one bad exam could ruin your whole GCSE. Whastd the point. Coursework seem more worthwhile to me because its actually putting your skills into practise instead of just answering random questions. Anyone can learn a few answers but learning when and where to use those answer is different and thats what course work is for. As well as giving you a little help with part of your grade already mad up before you even sit the exam, i think it helps you understand it more. I did my GCSE's last year and was glad of course work because i was dreding the exam and i did really well in my course work, so maybe my point is already pushed ot the keeping of it, because of that.

I think it should be half and half in all subjects. Its not fair to have one test make up your whole grade. You could have had a bad day or something or a particually hard test. With Course work you can show your abbility much more and boarden it that just writing answers on a stupid test paper.

I agree. I only chose one of my options because it was 50/50. The highest it goes in my school is 60/40 but that was in subjects I am not good at.

di marco
08-10-2006, 15:34
I think I'd rather have no coursework than that as at least you can apply for extra time in exams.

yeh but not everyone can get extratime in exams

DaVeyWaVey
08-10-2006, 19:30
I am currently doing Maths coursework at the moment and its fairly easy. I think it shouldn't be scrapped though as i like coursework, i always do better in coursework than exams as the pressure sometimes gets the better of me in exams and it is reflected in my exam results sometimes but then if i do badly in an exam, i always have coursework to fall back on.

pookie1968uk
09-10-2006, 14:18
so if coursework was to continue how could the cheating be stopped. any ideas?
its not fair that some people give honest work in and others just pay to get it done or copy from the internet

Kim
09-10-2006, 16:26
yeh but not everyone can get extratime in exams

Yeah but I mean in the terms of if you are a slow writer and so can't get all of the work done when doing controlled coursework, you would be able to apply on the grounds of being a slow writer.

Kim
09-10-2006, 16:29
its not fair that some people give honest work in and others just pay to get it done or copy from the internet

That's their problem. Most of the essays off the internet are rubbish and the person would be capable of much more if they put the effort in to do it themselves.

I guess the people that write them are stupid, have no qualifications and thinks "If I write essays, then make people pay before they are able to download all of it, they will think it's great as some complete ones are free, and I get loads of money."

Abbie
10-10-2006, 10:57

well from 2008 they are having controlled coursework so you have to do it in class and can take it home.

Sam-Elle
10-10-2006, 17:54
so does that mean people who are doing their gcse right now are gonna be affected?

Kim
10-10-2006, 19:10
I'm in year 10 at the moment and the only controlled coursework I will be affected by is Science as that changed over the summer. In terms of Maths, It's only just been taken out so I will have to do it and the current year 9's wont.

Sam-Elle
10-10-2006, 20:36
im in year 10 right now too, and all this is just so confusing...oh ill just wait to see what happens, cant do nothing more than that.