PDA

View Full Version : Wire in the Blood

Jojo
20-09-2006, 19:58
The new series starts tonight at 9pm on ITV - anyone going to watch it??

Tonights episode (no spoilers :D ):

An old case is unexpectedly reopened, catching Tony Hill off guard. His surprise is compounded by the revelation that Carol Jordan has left for South Africa and been replaced by new detective Alex Fielding, who has her own way of doing things - and refuses to believe his theory that a serial killer is stalking the streets.

Hermione Norris has left (over to Spooks yay), but Simone Lahib has joined the team along with Robson Green returning as Tony.

I love this programme - very close to the mark sometimes, but excellent viewing.

Em
20-09-2006, 20:53
Its one of my faves to Ems! (Lol we like the same shows!)

Ill miss Hermoine though! I liked the chemistry between her and robson.

cant wait for tonights epi - its a bit different from other things on, mainlt because of robsons charcter and the way he thinks.

Jojo
20-09-2006, 23:15
Lol - same name, same tastes :D

I enjoyed tonights show - knew Tony would win her round in the end, and glad they found Joanne too. Totally reeled in with the red herring of that boss (Lumis was that his name - something like that I think) and when he went back to the office, when the girl was on the phone to the police reporting Joanne missing, I was sure that he was going to see her and do something nasty to her. How wrong was I !

Great opening episode, next weeks looks very nasty.

I thought the chemistry between them got better - I wonder what the story is with the little boy, whose head she was stroking at the end.

Em
28-09-2006, 14:57
Lol - same name, same tastes :D

I enjoyed tonights show - knew Tony would win her round in the end, and glad they found Joanne too. Totally reeled in with the red herring of that boss (Lumis was that his name - something like that I think) and when he went back to the office, when the girl was on the phone to the police reporting Joanne missing, I was sure that he was going to see her and do something nasty to her. How wrong was I !

Great opening episode, next weeks looks very nasty.

I thought the chemistry between them got better - I wonder what the story is with the little boy, whose head she was stroking at the end.

well it looks like thats her little boy doesnt it?

In most part last nights epi was fab - was totally hooked when he was visiting the guy in hospital with the little doll things!

I had figured out who the killer was though - I think that was a bit predcitable.

apart from that another good effort - ITV really do pull of their crime drama wells!

xCharliex
28-09-2006, 17:42
I was totally shocked at the killer last night!! it had crossed my mind but then i though nah cant be her!! I thought it was that guy from the nutty house, who was the doctor kinda man, great episode!

Jessie Wallace
28-09-2006, 17:47
Guessed her in the first 5mins she was on the screen, it jsut had to be. Great episode tho.

Jojo
30-09-2006, 23:18
Great episode - had a feeling it was her, but not till about ooo an hour into it. Just seemed strange how she was suddenly introduced and then when Derek had the phone call, and the orderly had said, anything for Tony Hill, I realised it had to be someone in the force who knew him.

Brilliant though - wondered whether she (the copper) was going to get out of it alive though.

DaVeyWaVey
18-10-2008, 11:19
Anyone watching this on Friday nights? Really enjoy this show! Its immensely disturbing but it's interesting how Tony uncovers the psychological motive behind it all. A cracking show.

Also, I'm a big fan of Simone Lahbib so it's great to see her in it playing Tony's sidekick.

I recently bought one of the books too by Val McDermid as the books are probably even better than the TV series!

DaVeyWaVey
06-02-2009, 12:41
ITV has pulled the plug on Robson Green's long-running crime drama series, Wire in the Blood.
The decision not to recommission the drama marks a double blow for actor and one-time 'ITV darling' Green, as the indie that he runs with Sandra Joblings, Coastal Productions, also makes the drama series.

Created by Scottish crime writer Val McDermid, Wire in the Blood is set in the fictional Northern town of Bradfield and follows the bloody investigations of clinical psychologist Tony Valentine (Green) and a tough female detective - most recently inspector Alex Fielding (Simone Lahbib).

The show launched in 2002 and has run for six series, once forming a key part of ITV's thriller line up. However, ratings have slowly dipped from a high of 8.1m (32.6%) for the first ever show to a series average of 5.4m last year. The strongest episode in the last season drew an average of 6.7m (27.2%).

The decision to axe the series is the latest in a string of cancelled or postponed dramas at ITV including the planned adaptation of A Passage to India, which was dropped at last year after hundreds of thousands of pounds had already been spent on pre-production.

The axe is also hanging over Heartbeat and spin-off The Royal, after ITV admitted it would not make a decision on commissioning new episodes until 2011.

It is understood that each episode of Wire in the Blood cost the Newcastle based company around £750,000 to make, and around 100 people were employed on the series.

However, an ITV spokeswoman said the decision not to recommission the series was not just financial. "It has been going for six years now and we've got new stuff coming through so it felt like the right time to move on," she said.

The broadcaster is also developing a number of projects with Coastal, including a new factual series, she added.

However, the loss of Wire in the Blood has been hailed as "an absolute tragedy" for the North East production industry.

Northern Film and Media chief executive, Tom Harvey, said: "This is a very sad day for North East network TV. It is hard to over estimate how important Coastal Productions are to the North East."

A freelance producer added: "This is a disaster for the region, which already feels like it has become the 'forgotten region' when it comes to TV and film production."

Coastal Productions could not be reached for comment.

DaVeyWaVey
06-02-2009, 12:41
Personally, I'm absolutely gutted and I can't see the reasoning behind the decision. The ratings were still extremely healthy and it was one of ITV's only quality dramas.

I always looked forward to watching every series and it prompted me to start reading the novels. I don't think there's any chance that they will reverse their decision which is a shame :(

Katy
06-02-2009, 13:39
ITV seem to be pulling the plug on anything that is not reality rubbish! or is it just me that thinks this

I loved this

StarsOfCCTV
06-02-2009, 16:07
WHAT! :angry: That was one of the best dramas out there!

I hope another channel picks the series up.

sarky6
06-02-2009, 16:11
If not i hope they release the new series on DVD.

A shocking decision, but then I'm not surprised as it's good quality unlike most stuff on ITV1 these days. :thumbsdow

DaVeyWaVey
06-02-2009, 17:41
I agree. Why do ITV always axe the best dramas :confused:

di marco
06-02-2009, 22:33
itv seem to be axing eveything atm lol!

Jessie Wallace
06-02-2009, 23:43
Gutted, itv only decent drama. They shoudl axe heartbeat and the royal and keep this. Glad i've still got some episodes on my dvd player i can watch again