PDA

View Full Version : Royal Mail launch online stamps...

Jojo
19-09-2006, 10:42
Royal Mail on Tuesday launched a new service allowing customers to buy and print their postage online, marking the latest innovation to a stamp-based postal service which harks back to 1840 and the Penny Black.

Customers will be able to pay for their postage by selecting the appropriate amount for their letter or parcel, and paying by debit or credit card or via a pre-pay account.

A unique barcode is then printed directly onto envelopes, labels or paper before the item is posted.

"We have launched this service in response to demands from the general public, who want to be able to buy and print their postage online," said the Royal Mail's Marketing Director Alex Batchelor.

"Online postage gives customers more choice and flexibility in the way they pay to send their mail."

Royal Mail lost its monopoly on postal deliveries on January 1 and the state-owned operator is fighting hard against private competition for business as the industry faces some of the biggest changes in its 350-year history.

The Internet stamps cost the same as normal postage.

Consumers can choose from a full range of postal options, from first class to international services, and can also print out a variety of forms online, such as a certificate of posting or customs form.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I for one am confused. I've been using their Smartstamp service for the last 2 years which enables me to print my own stamps, with or without my company logo etc - so not quite sure whats different about this.

Anyway, do you think this is another step in the direction of closing local Post Offices?? Already a lot of Post Offices have been closed in rural areas due to cost reduction etc, and now with this service being publicly launched, will it mean the end is nigh for the local Post Master??

Meh
19-09-2006, 11:07
Considering they lost £2m/week on the postal service, I'm not suprised they are looking to cut their losses. They are moving most of their services online so the need for the local PO is diminishing, although they are a necessity for rural areas.

Jojo
19-09-2006, 11:16
The only problem with this, is that they are bound to close a number of Post Offices when the usage for these stamps rise, but then, when you send something Special/Recorded Delivery, are we then going to be expected to travel miles to the nearest PO to be able to get our slip stamped? Or are they going to spend the amount of money saved by doing this, on a new system that will end up costing us a heck of a lot more, once they realise it doesn't work and then go back to square one? They've already taken away the Pension Books and pay everything electronically so is this the next step and is it the right one?

crazygirl
19-09-2006, 13:52
so thats more people out of work!! whats the world coming to!

Abbie
19-09-2006, 16:18
so thats more people out of work!! whats the world coming to! I know its awful and to think they complain about unemployment rates when they are the ones making jobs harder to get

Dr. Tangliss
22-09-2006, 10:15
I can't agree with you more, what with job cuts and outsourcing there won't be any jobs left soon. I thought the government were all for cutting unemployment?? In my opinion I think there should be a restriction on the amount of work going abroad.