PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin died.

Katy
04-09-2006, 10:17
Steve Irwin the Crocodile hunter is dead. He died whilst filming a documentary and was pierced in the chest by a stingray.

thoughts are with his family.

R I P

DaVeyWaVey
04-09-2006, 10:25
Oh my gosh :eek: When did this happen? I had no idea! :eek: He was certainly a man who was daring and liked a challenge..i remember watching some programmes with him chasing the crocodiles and snakes etc.

Jessie Wallace
04-09-2006, 10:29
Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the Crocodile Hunter, has been killed by a stingray barb during a diving expedition, media reports said.

Irwin, 44, was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in north-eastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its website.

The paper and other Australian media reporting the death cited police or state government sources.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane when the incident happened.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its website.

Katy
04-09-2006, 10:32
At least he died doing something he enjoyed. Even so, 44 is no age to die for any one.

Debs
04-09-2006, 10:34
shocked to wake up to this! So sad for his family and his young kids. RIP STEVE

Siobhan
04-09-2006, 10:43
I found it a shock too.. I like Steve Irwin and he did live dangerously.. He has his daughter in a croc enclosure with him a lot of time.. and as CG said, he did die doing something he loved and I don't think his wife will stop either.. They both lived (and died in this case) for danger..

RIP Steve.. I will miss him

willow
04-09-2006, 10:45
my thoughts are with his wife and kids, i can't belive this had happened when i woke up to the nes this morning!
R.I.P steve xxx

Richie_lecturer
04-09-2006, 10:46
Very shocked when I heard this in the car on the way to work this morning.

RIP Steve and huge condolences to his family.

Siobhan
04-09-2006, 11:31
my thoughts are with his wife and kids, i can't belive this had happened when i woke up to the nes this morning!
R.I.P steve xxx

What is his daughters name? it is something like Poppet??

I just seen a clip of him holding his daughter (she is about 4 months old) while feeding a croc.. I don't think that is on!!!

true.moon
04-09-2006, 11:33
:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!!! never ever thought this would happen ! totally shocked . R.I.P to his family and friends

Jessie Wallace
04-09-2006, 11:33
What is his daughters name? it is something like Poppet??

I just seen a clip of him holding his daughter (she is about 4 months old) while feeding a croc.. I don't think that is on!!!

His wife Terri, from Oregon, who he married in 1992, they had a daughter Bindi Sue, eight, and son Bob, who will be three in December.

true.moon
04-09-2006, 11:40
Heres a picture of him and his family
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6568/imagesus2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Heres one with his wife
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/7608/0144525420700pl7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

.:SpIcYsPy:.
04-09-2006, 12:47
I just heard this from my mate as I just woke up. I can't believe it!! I was soo shocked and I didn't believe her. My thoughts are with his family.

Oh I just can't believe it :( It's sooo sad..

R.I.P Steve x

samantha nixon
04-09-2006, 13:35
this is really sad as he was great at what he did and his kids are only young, but least he died at what he loved doing as he loved helping animas
R.I.P Steve

Chloe-Elise
04-09-2006, 15:49
I couldn't believe this when I heard it this morning, RIP Steve and condolences to his family.

Dr. Tangliss
04-09-2006, 16:12
What a tragic loss. The irony behind it all is after handling lots of the worlds most dangerous animals, he dies in a freak accident by being stung by a Stingray, where there has only been one other death in Ausralian history :( He was a top guy who made the world aware of wildlife issues and promoted their care.

At least he died doing something he loved.

the_watts_rule
04-09-2006, 16:53
I was shocked when I heard about this, It's a shame, at least he was doing something he loved at the time. RIP Steve x

Emma-Lou
04-09-2006, 18:40
I was so shocked when i heard this its very sad my condolences to his family and friends.He done so much to tell people about animals.RIP Steve

crazygirl
04-09-2006, 18:45
yes its very sad i heard about this freak accident on 'this morning' well we knew it was going to happen one day but with a croc not a stingray!
my heart goes out to all his family and close friends

Jada-GDR
04-09-2006, 18:59
i can only say what everyone else has said. its so strange to think he's dead, i never thought it would actually happen to him. i hope his family and friends are coping alright :(

chance
04-09-2006, 19:00
I was realy shocked and saddened to learn of this on the radio this morning,he was an amazing man and my thoughts are with his family right now.It is so sad,i phoned my mum when i heard as we used to watch his progs together.It is amazing how he handled all those other dangerous things etc and got killed so tragicaly like this

RIP Steve

CrazyLea
04-09-2006, 21:12
I was deeply shocked when I heard this on the radio this morning. I just couldn't believe it. He will definately be missed alot. He was great! My thoughts are with his family :( They were always with him when he was out with the crocs :( RIP Steve

annaz
04-09-2006, 21:19
It doesn't seem real, he was always so bright and smily and it's not the right word but fake. I'm in total shock!

EE Rocks
04-09-2006, 21:39
I am shocked!!:crying: :eek:

Condolences to his family. I heard when i was watching GMTV this morning!

RIP Steve!:crying:

chance
06-09-2006, 12:02
He swam over the stingray and it must have felt threatened bhim and struck its tail up piercing steves heart with a barb,he pulled it out himself then collapsed.
There are only a few reported cases apparently of this type.
I still am in disbelief.
It was all filmed so i wonder whether his wife terri will let them show the footage of it?Steve always wanted them to carry on filming no matter what.
His daughter was with him at the time,she is 8.

Jojo
06-09-2006, 12:09
Apparently the footage is with Queensland Police at the moment, but his wife wants it shown. He didn't pull the barb out apparently though. There was a lot of stories saying that he did, but after one of the cameramen that were there, refuted the claims.

My heart goes out to his family, but at least he went doing what he loved.

crazygirl
06-09-2006, 13:44
He swam over the stingray and it must have felt threatened bhim and struck its tail up piercing steves heart with a barb,he pulled it out himself then collapsed.
There are only a few reported cases apparently of this type.
I still am in disbelief.
It was all filmed so i wonder whether his wife terri will let them show the footage of it?Steve always wanted them to carry on filming no matter what.
His daughter was with him at the time,she is 8. his daughter was with him :eek: thats awful!! poor little girl witnessing that

Katy
06-09-2006, 14:25
There giving him a state funeral arent they. Theres all flowers outside all teh zoos and thing, hell be missed especially in Oz.

Siobhan
06-09-2006, 14:28
There giving him a state funeral arent they. Theres all flowers outside all teh zoos and thing, hell be missed especially in Oz.

no.. his wife decline a state funeral as he wanted to be remembered as an ordinary bloke..

Katy
06-09-2006, 14:30
Oh i hadnt read that bit. Still cant believe hes dead, doesnt seem real someone who was so popular and lived life on the edge kindo f.

pinkles14
06-09-2006, 14:43
I was so shocked when i heard this news
Thoughts go to his family

R.I.P steve

Abbie
06-09-2006, 18:27
everyone in my school is shocked and talking about it.
R.I.P

crazygirl
06-09-2006, 18:46
There giving him a state funeral arent they. Theres all flowers outside all teh zoos and thing, hell be missed especially in Oz. no, i saw his dad on news 24 saying about him been an ordinary bloke so the family dont want that! but got the flowers outside the zoo its like a carpet

Jessie Wallace
06-09-2006, 19:43
I've read that she is thinking about what type of funneral to have for him, wehter to have two, one for the people and then a private one just for family.
Also it was on the news that his daughter was with his wife on a trek with Bob as well, she wasn't with him, but he was doing some filming for her, as he couldn't film his own programme as the weather was too bad.

Jojo
12-09-2006, 12:42
Australian authorities have urged fans of Steve Irwin not to attack stingrays after several rays were found dead since the TV naturalist was killed in a rare fatal attack by one of the normally placid animals.

Irwin, whose "Crocodile Hunter" documentaries were watched by more than 200 million people, was killed eight days ago when the serrated barb from a stingray's tail pierced his heart.

Queensland state officials said up to 10 of the animals have since been found dead in coastal waters.

Two were found dead with their tails hacked off on Tuesday at Deception Bay, north of the Queensland capital Brisbane.

Up to six rays had also been found dead recently further north at Hervey Bay said Wayne Sumpton, a senior biologist in Queensland's Fisheries Department.

"We do not know if these incidents are motivated by Steve Irwin's death. At the moment that is just speculation," he said.

"We do find dead stingrays with their tails cut off from time to time. People usually do it if they are worried about getting stung by a stingray, or they just do it maliciously, but it is pretty rare," Sumpton said.

Irwin's wildlife colleagues said killing stingrays was against his conservationist teachings.

"We just want to make it very clear that we will not accept and not stand for anyone who's taken a form of retribution. That's the last thing Steve would want," said Michael Hornby, executive director of Irwin's Wildlife Warriors Worldwide.

The tails of stingrays carry toxic barbs that can measure up to 20 cm.

Stings from their tails are not uncommon, although most generally suffer painful but non-lethal wounds in their feet or lower legs. Irwin's case was thought to be only the third recorded fatal stingray attack in Australia.

News of his death sparked a remarkable outpouring of grief from Australia and around the world.

Irwin's family and closest friends held a private funeral around a campfire at his Australia Zoo at the weekend, while a public memorial service is being planned for next Wednesday.

Siobhan
12-09-2006, 12:50
why would you do that to an animal? It was just defending itself and as was stated, Irwin was there to observe them and find out about them not to kill them..

Jojo
12-09-2006, 12:57
I just can't believe people would do such stupid things in retaliation for a wild animal defending itself when its feeling threatened! Lets hope people heed to these warnings and stop doing this.

Dr. Tangliss
12-09-2006, 13:01
There are some cruel people out there with one track minds. If Steve Irwin was alive today he would be disgusted by this. Steve Irwins death was only one of three ever recorded stingray fatalities in Australia, they are normally placid animals which will only attack if they are frightened.

xXxJessxXx
13-09-2006, 20:07
cant believe people would do that! Its not like Steve didnt know the risk involved and these people are killing another being just like the stingray did so they are as bad as the thing they are killing. (Complicated but hope im making sense) Just because one stinray strikes doesnt give an excuse to kill them all or any for that matter. Its stupid

xCharliex
20-09-2006, 17:34
Does anyone know if you can view his memorial service online? id like to see it seeing as it wasnt aired over here

.:SpIcYsPy:.
20-09-2006, 17:43
Does anyone know if you can view his memorial service online? id like to see it seeing as it wasnt aired over here
:eek: I just came on here to ask this as well..

Yeah I would love to see this.. trying to look everywhere but can't seem to find it here..:(

Caught a bit of Bindi's speech.. bless her it was really emotional and she handled it well x

Ok I found it HERE.. Bindi's speech and I'm now in tears!!

Debs
20-09-2006, 18:39
i watched it online!! it was very sad and i cried loads!!

you can watch the whole memorial here

http://mp3.news.com.au/bcm/irwin-funeral.html

Debs
20-09-2006, 18:41
bindi is soooo cute and very very brave to get up and do that and not even shed a tear. she had me in floods

Dr. Tangliss
21-09-2006, 10:52
I agree with you Debs, she has the spirit of her father and she loves him very very much. He was 'her hero', which is very heartwarming.