PDA

View Full Version : school holidays nearly over

crazygirl
23-08-2006, 23:58
and boy have they gone fast! my daughter starts secondary school on the
5th! school uniform has cost me nearly £160 and then there was a designer bag which was £16 and she wants a designer pencil case for £7 because its what they have in secondary schools these days! god when i was at school we had a bag off the market stall!! and a pencil case from woolies!!

Rain_
24-08-2006, 06:55
you and me both !!! The rugby kit and the blazer has crippled me....why they can't just go back to jumpers i'll never know

Dr. Tangliss
24-08-2006, 08:25
My son starts school for the first time on the 5th. I can't believe how time flies, as he's still a baby in my eyes.

Siobhan
24-08-2006, 09:40
My daughter is going into her second year at school but this time they have to wear uniforms which cost so much, plus you have to pay for School tracksuit, books, bag, accessories (trust me.. little girls want the latest funkiest stuff)

di marco
24-08-2006, 09:41
and boy have they gone fast! my daughter starts secondary school on the
5th! school uniform has cost me nearly £160 and then there was a designer bag which was £16 and she wants a designer pencil case for £7 because its what they have in secondary schools these days! god when i was at school we had a bag off the market stall!! and a pencil case from woolies!!

i remember going shopping for my school uniform when i started secondary school, it cost loads the shirts were like £13 each! (cos we had pink and white shirts you had to buy them from the school so they could get away with charging stupid prices!) and then we had to have our own hockey stick and tennis racket! half the stuff that was on the list i hardly used (like the whistle for example!) though dont believe the thing that everyone at secondary school has designer stuff, i doubt most people will! well most people didnt at my school especially for the first few years. also if she does still want designer ones, if youve got a chockers (the shoe shop) near you, i got a big morgan schoolbag from there for £5! its lasted the 2 years of 6th form so its good quality as well

nicole28
24-08-2006, 10:09
I know! My uniform is quite exprensive. My blazer costs alot but I can have that for a year or so more because it is still massive on me!

Londoner
24-08-2006, 10:12
My daughter is also starting secondary school on the 5th, i agree that the school uniform is so expensive! So far i have spent nearly £200 (and yes i had to buy one of those nike bags at £16 what a rip off!), but as you say they all have them at school nowadays, still got the shoes and trainers left to buy, which will no doubt cost a fortune!:lol:

I'm so worried about her going to secdondary school, i'm sure other parents can relate to what i feeling, she now has to get a bus on her own. oh don't children grow up so fast!!!! :crying: :crying:

di marco
24-08-2006, 10:14
I know! My uniform is quite exprensive. My blazer costs alot but I can have that for a year or so more because it is still massive on me!

lol! that was like all my stuff! my skirts were huge cos my mum thought id grow into them! i got new ones in year 10 cos the old ones were still below my knee lol! although all the rest of my uniform lasted all 5 years. i know, blazers are well expensive, for 6th form cos i went to a new school and we had to have a blazer my mum borrowed it from someone else we knew cos theyd only used it for 6th form too and it still looked brand new, otherwise itd cost us loads just for 2 years. i think its silly the amount of money they charge for school clothes, especially things like the tie and items that have the school name on cos they know you wont be able to get them elsewhere

Jojo
24-08-2006, 10:27
My eldest is starting his second year in community college but I've had to replace his trousers and shirts as hes hit that growing stage - the polo shirts cost £8.99 each and the trousers £12.99 each. Had to replace his rugby shirt (£15.99), gum shield, socks, trainers, shoes, rucksack etc.

Then in January, my middley starts school, so I will have to buy all of his school stuff too :crying: And my hubby wonders where my money goes! :rotfl: :crying:

Londoner
24-08-2006, 10:37
My eldest is starting his second year in community college but I've had to replace his trousers and shirts as hes hit that growing stage - the polo shirts cost £8.99 each and the trousers £12.99 each. Had to replace his rugby shirt (£15.99), gum shield, socks, trainers, shoes, rucksack etc.

Then in January, my middley starts school, so I will have to buy all of his school stuff too :crying: And my hubby wonders where my money goes! :rotfl: :crying:

Gosh that is quite cheap compared to what i've paid, the t-shirts are £12 each and the jumpers are £17, i also had to buy PE jogging bottoms at £17 too, there were a few other things that i had to purchase but i wont list the whole school uniform prices:cheer: I also had to make a contribution to the school of £50! (although i am not even sure what it is for!!) :hmm:

Maybe it was drink money for the teachers:rotfl: :rotfl:

di marco
24-08-2006, 10:39
I also had to make a contribution to the school of £50! (although i am not even sure what it is for!!) :hmm:

Maybe it was drink money for the teachers:rotfl: :rotfl:

lol! maybe it was school fund? i stopped paying that after a while cos they never used it for anything worthwhile!

Londoner
24-08-2006, 10:46
lol! maybe it was school fund? i stopped paying that after a while cos they never used it for anything worthwhile!

Actually i think you are right, that does ring a bell, I only paid it coz i had to go to an interview at the school and they were like "Did you bring the money" I didn't want to make a fool of myself so i just paid up.

Must make a mental note to myself "not to pay that again":rotfl: :rotfl:

di marco
24-08-2006, 10:58
Actually i think you are right, that does ring a bell, I only paid it coz i had to go to an interview at the school and they were like "Did you bring the money" I didn't want to make a fool of myself so i just paid up.

Must make a mental note to myself "not to pay that again":rotfl: :rotfl:

lol yeh some schools are like that! though i should think £50 would be for the whole time shes there, cos thats quite expensive! at my secondary school, we paid yearly, about £10 i think, so i paid for year 7 and year 8, in year 9 cos my sis had started and it was £10 per family we both just said that the other one had paid it (thats what everyone else did!) and they never bothered checking! i dont think they cared that much really whether you paid or not. but at the school i went to for 6th form i had to pay £32 for the 2 years before i started cos if i didnt then i wasnt allowed to go there!

crazygirl
24-08-2006, 11:00
when my daughter was at primary i made her a packed lunch but now im going to have to give her money for secondary school so thats going to cost about £2-3 a day!!!

di marco
24-08-2006, 11:02
when my daughter was at primary i made her a packed lunch but now im going to have to give her money for secondary school so thats going to cost about £2-3 a day!!!

really? omg thats expensive! do they have to have school dinner or she just wants to? you might be surprised after a week she might come home saying she doesnt want to have school dinners anymore, cos if its anything like my school the food was horrible so most people brought stuff from home!

Londoner
24-08-2006, 11:34
OMG!! That is expensive! At my daughters new school its around £1.50 - £2, although there is also a fairtrade cafe at her school, but that is well expensive! and them you have to buy the smart card which they charge you £2 for, all adds up! I'm hoping that after a week, she will want packed lunch again!

:searchme:

Katy
24-08-2006, 11:53
Im so glad i dont hae to wear uniform anymore. My mum spent a fortune on my sister as you now have to wear everything with the school logo on. so None of the plain blue skirts from BHS that i used to have. Its so stupid. Im back tomorrow for an interview then i have a week off while they sort out my timetable its come well quick.

crazygirl
24-08-2006, 12:08
OMG!! That is expensive! At my daughters new school its around £1.50 - £2, although there is also a fairtrade cafe at her school, but that is well expensive! and them you have to buy the smart card which they charge you £2 for, all adds up! I'm hoping that after a week, she will want packed lunch again!

:searchme: whats a smart card ive never heard of that

Jojo
24-08-2006, 13:45
Gosh that is quite cheap compared to what i've paid, the t-shirts are £12 each and the jumpers are £17, i also had to buy PE jogging bottoms at £17 too, there were a few other things that i had to purchase but i wont list the whole school uniform prices:cheer: I also had to make a contribution to the school of £50! (although i am not even sure what it is for!!) :hmm:

Maybe it was drink money for the teachers:rotfl: :rotfl: Thats not including all the other stuff that I am making last for this year mind. In total, just this year I have spent £150 with all the bits and pieces he needs, and then there is the stuff carried over from last year.

I then have to give him £2.50 a day for his dinner money too. I'm just glad that he walks the 10 mins there otherwise that would be extra on top.

The worst thing is that middley's uniform is going to cost almost the same as my eldests in respect of the tops and bottoms etc. And then I'll have to go through it all again in another 3 years time....

.:SpIcYsPy:.
24-08-2006, 13:48
Got two weeks to get a blazer.. argh *runs around in circles*

Londoner
24-08-2006, 14:27
whats a smart card ive never heard of that

A smart card is like a credit card, parents put money on it and the children use it instead of carrying money, (i think it was introduced so that bullies could not steal money off young children) The child can only spend a max of £3 a day. I think that it is a clever idea though! I never had my lunch money stolen from me, but i'm sure that it does happen!

Abi
24-08-2006, 16:44
I'm actually quite looking forward to starting at Sixth Form. At least i'll be doing the subjects that i enjoy doing, and they're far more leniant then they are when you're in KS3 and KS4.

Plus, i dont have to wear that ruddy uniform again.... Theres only so many times you can wear a Bottle Green Blazer and Skirt before it sends you mad. It costs a fortune, and its manky- i'd rather spend that money on decent clothes that i'll actually want to wear.... which i now finally can!

CrazyLea
24-08-2006, 17:54
You mean holidays have started :rolleyes: haha! It really doesn't feel as if I've been on holidays cause of work like. But I bought all my college stuff at the weekend, cost quite a bit for folder/pockets/pens/pencils...etc... not buying a new bag this year though, can't be bothered and half the people in college are trampish anyway haha!

crazygirl
24-08-2006, 19:55
A smart card is like a credit card, parents put money on it and the children use it instead of carrying money, (i think it was introduced so that bullies could not steal money off young children) The child can only spend a max of £3 a day. I think that it is a clever idea though! I never had my lunch money stolen from me, but i'm sure that it does happen! I've never heard of those but what a good idea it is i would certainly go for one of those

Tori
24-08-2006, 20:24
I'm starting college in september and I don't have to wear a uniform, but the money saved from uniform will go towards bus fares (4 buses a day) and then maybe dinners aswell. We have to contribute to the learners fund, but I've never heard of it before, so I wonder what it will go towards....

I already have most of the stationery etc because I had to use it for GCSE so it isn't too much expense on that front

x Amby x
24-08-2006, 21:00
the summer holidays have gone really quickly! Cannot believe im going into Year 11! only 2 more terms left! yes! lol Im really excited though because of the prom and everything! I can guarentee that when we go back and have our first assembly my head of year will go i still remember when you were just starting and sat in here looking all scared in year 7! She does it every year! lol Good luck to all the mums with kids going into Secondary school i promise you they're gonna love it!

willow
24-08-2006, 21:45
i really can't belive the holidays are nealy over!!!! my little boy is going into year 6!!! last year of primary school!!!

Katy
25-08-2006, 10:03
I'm starting college in september and I don't have to wear a uniform (4 buses a day)

4 Buses a day blimey!!! I buy a mega rider but i think i might start biking it im on a mega keep fit thing plus im starting my driving lessons so i could be driving by the end of the year. I went to college today and have officially dropped Music wooooo. Im well chuffed looking forward to the new year now im going to work so hard.

Tori
25-08-2006, 10:07
well half of my journey is stagecoach, the other half bullocks so i can't get a megarider, it's not worth it! so it's 50p for each journey. If i went into stockport and out again i could use it but parrs wood is much closer, and in nice weather i could walk there, so it'd only be 2 buses!

$sTaCeY$
26-08-2006, 17:34
I thought you could get a grant from the coucil for money towards childrens clothing for start of high school? i think my dad got some money towards the cost of my uniform of the council about 3 or 4 years ago now though

di marco
27-08-2006, 07:24
I thought you could get a grant from the coucil for money towards childrens clothing for start of high school? i think my dad got some money towards the cost of my uniform of the council about 3 or 4 years ago now though

really? thats good, i dont think they offered that where i live

Jojo
27-08-2006, 09:39
I wish we got that grant, but I've never heard of it down here either :(

emma_strange
27-08-2006, 11:28
well half of my journey is stagecoach, the other half bullocks so i can't get a megarider, it's not worth it! so it's 50p for each journey. If i went into stockport and out again i could use it but parrs wood is much closer, and in nice weather i could walk there, so it'd only be 2 buses!

With 4 busses a day would it not be better to apply for a Teen Travel Pass? We havet them round here, not sure if there all over? It costs £48 a month and you get unlimited travel.

crazygirl
27-08-2006, 12:09
I thought you could get a grant from the coucil for money towards childrens clothing for start of high school? i think my dad got some money towards the cost of my uniform of the council about 3 or 4 years ago now though you can only get a grant if your on income support and its only £33

Kim
28-08-2006, 21:41
I don't want to go back because I'm starting my GCSEs and my computer is far from adequate to do coursework and studying on, but the holidays have just been so boring with my computer being in such a state.

Katy
28-08-2006, 21:53
My sister dont want to go back either as shes got her GCSEs. I hatre it when your computer doesnt work. Mine was in a right state last year in the end i had to borrow my cousins laptop then give it him back whilst it got fixed.

Year 10 and 11 will go so quick. I dont want to back either. My final year. It sounds so scary.

pookie1968uk
01-09-2006, 12:18
my daughter started secondary school last year and she and all her friends wanted to go school dinners. bt all they served up is junk food so i made my daughter go back to packed lunch and soon after the novelty wore off with the rest of her friends and now they all take packed lunch!
so take heart, the novelty may wear off and also beware, some of the schools only serve junk food, there is no healthy option in my daughters school and i didnt want her eating trash every day!

pookie1968uk
01-09-2006, 12:22
as far as school uniform is concerned, dont be tempeted to buy anything on the list that says optional, they never need it, and anything you dont have to buy with a school logo on, get yourself, you can get them much cheaper at supermarkets etc.
my daughter had loads of optional PE kit stuff on her list like training jacket, PE sweatshirt etc, we never needed them, we never got them, and no one else has got them at school either!

Kim
03-09-2006, 10:34
My sister dont want to go back either as shes got her GCSEs. I hatre it when your computer doesnt work. Mine was in a right state last year in the end i had to borrow my cousins laptop then give it him back whilst it got fixed.

Year 10 and 11 will go so quick. I dont want to back either. My final year. It sounds so scary.

Fat chance I've got of borrowing one lol! The only time my dad will care is if my GCSE grades aren't up to his expectations.

true.moon
03-09-2006, 10:50
I had to but a new blazer and new gym kit. Im kind of dreading my next year as i start all my coursework and it's a really serioius year so i can't have much fun at school.

Abbie
03-09-2006, 12:14
it's a really serioius year so i can't have much fun at school. Same here, luckily this year all i needed to buy were new shoes and i need a new pe top, im glad its not too much, cos i hate buying new school uniform.

03-09-2006, 13:14
I need a blazer.. The shop is busy whenever we go so we always go and come back again.. This shows how organised-like I am!!.. A lesson to be learnt here.

Abbie
03-09-2006, 14:45
I hate blazers, mainly becuase in our school we have to ask to take them off but nobody ever does that. My blazer was huge last year and well now it fits me, sometimes i dont mind them as they have loads of pockets and its same more room for in your bag.

Katy
03-09-2006, 16:54
3 more days and i still havent bought a bag. Oops. ALways the same me leaving things to the last minute.

Abbie
03-09-2006, 17:41
oh no a school bag!!!! I knew there was something i had forgot, oh well i'll just have to use my old one.

Katy
03-09-2006, 18:28
i binned my old one, so il lhave to get one tomorrow. I have to get a ringbinder aswell because i have filled all the ones ive got and i need lkie an everyday file. All these holidays to organise myself and i wait till the week before the term starts./

Abbie
04-09-2006, 09:38
All these holidays to organise myself and i wait till the week before the term starts./ lol I do that all the time, mainly with homewrok over the summer , Me and my friends, well infact everyone from school seems to do it the last 2 weeks, with me though i had a an excuse this year i had only 2 weeks left at the end to do the homework. I stayed up till 1am last night to get most of my english coursework done so i didnt have as much to do today.

Katy
04-09-2006, 09:40
thats like me and my geography i ve left that to the last minute as well theres no way ill be able to complete it. I just hope that when i go back i have the nice teacher. well im skint so today im going to look for a bag thats under a fiver along with a nice file.

Abbie
04-09-2006, 10:09
thats like me and my geography i ve left that to the last minute as well theres no way ill be able to complete it.. oh my god well my geography seemed pretty easy buts not, so what ive done will just have to do.

DaVeyWaVey
04-09-2006, 10:31
I am going back to school on Wednesday :(

Katy
04-09-2006, 10:33
Thursday for me, my mum was back today, Shes a teacher. She wasnt in a very good mood. Counting down to the half term holiday i think in October !!!.

DaVeyWaVey
04-09-2006, 10:36
Yeah i have 8 weeks in school approximately and then it's half term, whoo! and i am going to Butlins then for 5 days with my family. :)

di marco
04-09-2006, 13:40
Thursday for me, my mum was back today, Shes a teacher. She wasnt in a very good mood. Counting down to the half term holiday i think in October !!!.

my mums an LSA, so she had to go in today for a teacher training day, it is on postive handling, yesterday she was thinking of skiving off it and going shopping instead lol! she starts back work properly on wednesday and my sis starts back at school then too

04-09-2006, 13:46
I'm just getting ready to take a photo for my lunchpass lol.. Working my way through.. going to see if mum can take me to buy a blazer again lol!

true.moon
04-09-2006, 13:49
when do you all go back?
I go back tommow :thumbsdow

Sam-Elle
04-09-2006, 13:58
when do you all go back?
I go back tommow :thumbsdow

im going back on wednesday. my schools telling the year 7's and 12's to come in a day early [tommorow].
im going out in a minute to grab some school stuff; folders, notebooks, pens...think ive left it a bit to late. oh well!

Katy
04-09-2006, 14:19
i went out to get last minute things and the town was heaving with people all leaving things till the last minute. I grabbed what i need and scarpered quickly. Im really ready to go back now im fed up of the flipping holidays and too bored.

04-09-2006, 14:33
I go back on Thursday... Braces in on Wednesday :crying:

DaVeyWaVey
04-09-2006, 14:33
im going back on wednesday. my schools telling the year 7's and 12's to come in a day early [tommorow].

That's what it is like at my school too. :)

Xx-Vicky-xX
04-09-2006, 14:56
I cant wait to get back to College (i wont be saying that when im back mind) but right now cant wait.

Do schools not just provide you with logos like ours did? they gave us a starter pack in year 7 with a badge that we had to sow on to a blaser we brought from where ever we wanted to, a school tie, calculator, book covers, stationary (the usual pen pencil rubber ruler ect stuff) and a little note book, this was sold on the night you went in to look at the school and met your future tutor for £5 and then all of this could be purchased from the school's stationary shop for other years or if you lost certain things which made it so much cheaper to buy stuff.

di marco
04-09-2006, 15:08
Do schools not just provide you with logos like ours did? they gave us a starter pack in year 7 with a badge that we had to sow on to a blaser we brought from where ever we wanted to, a school tie, calculator, book covers, stationary (the usual pen pencil rubber ruler ect stuff) and a little note book, this was sold on the night you went in to look at the school and met your future tutor for £5 and then all of this could be purchased from the school's stationary shop for other years or if you lost certain things which made it so much cheaper to buy stuff.

nope my school never did that, they made sure they made loads of money out of selling the uniform lol!

squillyfer
04-09-2006, 15:54
I go back tomorrow, i want to get back into the routine but I dont want to be in yr11. Still half day on thursday cos I'm having a tooth out yay! Not!

Abbie
04-09-2006, 17:59
I go back tomorrow, i want to get back into the routine but I dont want to be in yr11. I know same here, at least i have found someone who goes back tomo cos others on here go back wednesday or thursday!!!! lucky them

pookie1968uk
04-09-2006, 21:44
I know same here, at least i have found someone who goes back tomo cos others on here go back wednesday or thursday!!!! lucky them
my daughter goes back tomorrow too!! into year 8.
shes quite looking forward to it as she wont be in the youngest year this year!

Abbie
06-09-2006, 16:26
I went back to school yesterday and already theres a different mood in every one, just because we are in ouir final year.

Katy
06-09-2006, 17:05
Official Last day of the holiday im all sad, but in a way glad. Really want to catch up wiv my mates again as alot of them have been away all summer.

Xx-Vicky-xX
06-09-2006, 17:21
my daughter goes back tomorrow too!! into year 8.
shes quite looking forward to it as she wont be in the youngest year this year!

When we went in to year 8 we was told it was the worst year because your no longer the babies of the school and you aint so scared to be naugty any more which if you think about it is kind of true.

DaVeyWaVey
06-09-2006, 17:31
I went back to school today and i have now officially started Year 11!

Tori
06-09-2006, 18:18
I've been at college for the past 2 days and hated it. the lessons were good but everything else was bad!

DaVeyWaVey
06-09-2006, 18:20
I've been at college for the past 2 days and hated it. the lessons were good but everything else was bad!

Aww....how come Vikki? I suppose it's just trying to get used to not being at school anymore. :)

Tori
06-09-2006, 18:26
Kinda but also people are so quiet and you can't talk to them, and also none of my great mates have gone there, so there's not really anyone to talk to

di marco
06-09-2006, 20:39
When we went in to year 8 we was told it was the worst year because your no longer the babies of the school and you aint so scared to be naugty any more which if you think about it is kind of true.

year 8 was the best year, cos year 7 you were scared of getting into trouble and years 9, 10 and 11 you were concentrating on exams and stuff, but year 8 was a doss year where you could muck about, it was great! :D

Katy
06-09-2006, 21:07
Aww im sure it will get better Vicky, everyones at that settleing in stage. Just looked at the bus times and im not happy at the ridiculas hour im going to have to be at the bus stop for. 7 30 AM i Know its terrible isnt it. Not like 11 oclock or Midday which im used to. Its going to be such a shock to the system.

Tori
06-09-2006, 21:17
Aww im sure it will get better Vicky, everyones at that settleing in stage. Just looked at the bus times and im not happy at the ridiculas hour im going to have to be at the bus stop for. 7 30 AM i Know its terrible isnt it. Not like 11 oclock or Midday which im used to. Its going to be such a shock to the system.

7.30 AM where are you going?! That sounds hellishly early!

Katy
06-09-2006, 21:35
Get the bus at 7 45 as all the lower sixth get on the late bus in Romiley so by the time it gets to my stop theres no seats so i have to get an earlier bus. If im going ot get to college for 9.

Abbie
07-09-2006, 20:18
I still cant cope with getting up so early and tomorrow we are having our pictures taken!!!! that should be fun.

di marco
07-09-2006, 20:24
I still cant cope with getting up so early and tomorrow we are having our pictures taken!!!! that should be fun.

oooooo school photos, what a joy! :rolleyes: im still enjoying lie-ins while everyone else in my house gets up early lol! :D

Abbie
07-09-2006, 20:38
Lucky you then as i really really struggle to get out of bed, i just feel like i havent slept sometimes

di marco
07-09-2006, 20:47
Lucky you then as i really really struggle to get out of bed, i just feel like i havent slept sometimes

same here, i could have slept for 12hrs and still not want to get up!