PDA

View Full Version : Woman wins biggest divorce payout - do you think this is right?

Jojo
04-08-2006, 11:34
An insurance magnate has been told by the High Court to pay his ex-wife £48m in what is thought to be the biggest divorce award in British legal history.
John Charman, 53, had offered Beverley, 52, their home in Sevenoaks, Kent, and £6m after their marriage ended in 2003.

On Thursday, he said he would appeal against the ruling which was made in private last week in the Family Division of the High Court.

The sum awarded to Mrs Charman includes £8m in assets already in her name.

A statement issued by Mr Charman and his solicitors said the award was "unfair and unreasonable".

He said he had made an offer to his wife of £20m, which would be "impossible for any reasonable person to spend in their lifetime".

The couple, who have two children, were married in 1976 when neither had significant resources.

Mr Charman went on to have a successful career and build up considerable wealth in the insurance market in the City of London.

His statement said Mr Justice Coleridge accepted Mr Charman's exceptional contribution to the marriage.

Mr Charman had set up the Dragon Trust in Bermuda in 1987 which had assets worth £68m.

He set up Axis, a global insurance and reinsurance company based in Bermuda, after the 9/11 attacks in New York.

But in early 2003, he moved permanently to Bermuda and separated from his wife who remained in England.

She issued a petition for divorce in June 2004, which included an application for financial settlement, known as ancillary relief.

In 2005, Mr Justice Coleridge had refused Mr Charman's application for a stay of his wife's petition.

John Charman had a City career and set up businesses in Bermuda
Mr Charman had argued his wife should be awarded substantially less than an equal share because of his contribution, and his "importance in the global insurance market".

He wanted the Dragon Trust assets left out of account because they were for the long-term benefit of members of his family and he did not have control of those assets.

Mr Charman, who was represented by law firm Withers, said: "The judge has ridden roughshod over a decision made nearly 20 years ago during the marriage, to place assets in trust for future generations."

Mr Justice Coleridge had found that assets in the case amounted to just over £131m including trust assets.

Mrs Charman's award was just under 37% of the whole amount.

Commenting on the case, family lawyer Kevin Harris-James, from legal firm Irwin Mitchell, said Mrs Charman "ordinarily should have received half of the available assets".

He said he was surprised at Mrs Charman's 37% award and added: "The yardstick of equality remains very much the starting point in terms of division of assets after a long marriage.

"There must be something exceptional about Mr Charman's wealth to justify such a significant shift in his favour."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think this is right??

Siobhan
04-08-2006, 11:38
:eek: they are complaining that she didn't get 50%?? Greedy cow, did she do the work??? don't think so.. she got the house and £20mil surely that is enough???

Madness is all I can say

Katy
04-08-2006, 11:42
£48 Million, is absurd. How could she refuse £20 million thats enough to last a life time. I always feel sorry for her husband who probably earned all the money.

Jojo
04-08-2006, 11:45
This is what i thought - I mean, £20million - she could live off of the interest on that without any worries, what on earth does she need £48 million for?! I hope he takes it to the appeals court and they decide in his favour. He'd given her a house, loads of cash, she'd have no worries in her lifetime and she just became greedy. He did the work, why should she get all of this.

I did see on the news last night though, that Rupert Murdoch had to pay out £900million for his divorce payout apparently!!! :eek:

Pinkbanana
04-08-2006, 11:53
Well she did support him for 30 years and the judge is giving her what they have deemed to be a 'fair share' for her contribution to helping make their life a success. Well thats what the lawyer on GMTV said this am. lol

Im not saying she's right to get that huge pay out, but I think she is more deserving than, say Heather Mills who has (allegedly) turned down a £30 million divorce settlement after only 4 years of marriage!!!

Now thats true greed, in my books!

Meh
04-08-2006, 12:00
Have to agree, Heather Mills is giving the impression of a greedy cow.

But £48 million is ridiculous for a divorce settlement. Even £20 million is ridiculous. But on the other hand this man localed to bermuda for all the tax incentives so maybe it serves him for trying to escape his tax burden :lol:

.:SpIcYsPy:.
04-08-2006, 12:04
:angry: Why is she asking for more money?! She's just toooo greedy!! £20 mil is more than enough!! :eek:

Siobhan
04-08-2006, 12:06
I did see on the news last night though, that Rupert Murdoch had to pay out £900million for his divorce payout apparently!!! :eek:

I will be lucky to get 90cent from my divorce :rotfl::rotfl:

Jojo
04-08-2006, 14:51
I will be lucky to get 90cent from my divorce :rotfl::rotfl: lol - it made me and hubby think though. Not about divorce as we are close, but we were saying, because we run our own business etc, what would we do if everything went pear shaped. I said I'd prefer for him to keep the business and me to get a monthly pay out from it rather than start messing about. That being said, if he went off with another woman etc, I wouldn't be responsible for my actions :D :rotfl:

pookie1968uk
04-08-2006, 15:09
that payout is just scandelous. £20million is more than enough but to refuse it for more is just pure greed!

Londoner
04-08-2006, 15:55
Wow such a load of money!!!

If the lady in question has been with him since the begining and raised a family, look after the home etc. then i think she is entitled to that amount of money, i know she didn't work for it as such, although rasing a family can be a full time job!!

*But we don't know the full circumstances the man might not have wanted the woman to go to work, maybe he wanted her to stay at home and be a full time mum (i know that is what happened with my parents)

So good on her, hope she has fun spending it!!! :cheer:

Its people like Heather Mills that DON'T deserve it.... she is just greedy!:thumbsdow

Skits
04-08-2006, 16:44
i think she's entitled to it. it's not even half of what the husband's worth. you have to ask the question why did he decide to go live abroad and give up on their marriage.

although i agree with this payout, i don't agree with the likes of heather mills or anyone, celebrity or not, getting a big payout for only a short time of marriage.

it happened to a friend of mine. it was bad enough him having to deal with his whole marriage breakdown but then having to pay out a ridiculous some of money, that nearly finished him altogether.

Kim
09-08-2006, 11:58
In this case, no, but when there isn't huge amounts of money involved, then, providing the woman didn't earn a lot of money, and has kids to care for, then she should get at least half of the settlement. If there's no kids then the vast amount of it should go to whoever earned it.