PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear: Who do you think is the Stig?

Dutchgirl
17-07-2006, 12:40
Who do you think he is?

I would love him to be Damon Hill.

Siobhan
17-07-2006, 13:33
I don't think it is damon hill as he has been out with the stig.. I think he is a f1 driver but not who you have mentioned.. whoever he is.. he is good

Dutchgirl
17-07-2006, 13:35
Saw it yesterday, and it has got me thinking again. Who is he the mystery man?

Jojo
17-07-2006, 20:57
After last night, I haven't a clue, although Jeremy Clarkson did sort of give a slight clue I suppose, but he must be an (ex) F1 driver, to have been able to have driven the F1 car last night :searchme: I'm totally intrigued - I might start a campaign to reveal the Stig to us avid viewers :D :rotfl:

Siobhan
31-07-2006, 16:18
Ok.. think I might know who it is.. They said last week that he hates the dutch.. Germans are well know for hating the Dutch so I reckon it is Frentzen who use to drive for Jordan F1 team...

Jojo
31-07-2006, 16:22
Did you see the episode when Clarkson said that The Stig had been arrested when walking across the Ghobi (sp?) desert because the authorities thought he was an islamic terrorist? Could this indicate who it could be? Slip of the tongue or bad tasting joke??

Siobhan
31-07-2006, 16:36
Bad tasting joke.. Jensen button was on last night and when watch his lap Clarkson said "all F1 drivers take that line, the stig doesn't" and jensen said that the stig wasn't an f1 driver.. Clarkson just said "maybe he is"

alan45
31-07-2006, 16:41
I thought I had already posted on this:confused: but anyway I think its John Watson:)

Dutchgirl
31-07-2006, 19:27
Ok.. think I might know who it is.. They said last week that he hates the dutch.. Germans are well know for hating the Dutch so I reckon it is Frentzen who use to drive for Jordan F1 team...
Uhm sorry to disappoint you Frentzen has a Dutch girlfriend! And Germans do not hate us they love us, it is the other way around, well it used to be.:rotfl:

Dutchgirl
31-07-2006, 19:30
Bad tasting joke.. Jensen button was on last night and when watch his lap Clarkson said "all F1 drivers take that line, the stig doesn't" and jensen said that the stig wasn't an f1 driver.. Clarkson just said "maybe he is"
Yeah saw it and heard the quote, I just love Jensen and Ray Winstone, good show last night, it had me in stitches again. I thought he could be one of the Rally drivers, but my husband is convinced that the Stig is a well known British driver but not a F1 or WRC driver, let's guess some more.:ninja:

Jojo
31-07-2006, 21:18
Just found all this: :D :D

The Stig's true identity has never been revealed by the Top Gear presenters. The intent is that he functions as an unbiased "standard" that can be used to test cars fairly. However, once Perry McCarthy's book, Flat Out, Flat Broke, was published in 2003, it became clear that he was the original Stig (from 2002 to 2003). McCarthy was a former Formula 1 driver and test driver for the Benetton, Arrows and Williams teams and also tested for BMW F1.

In the first episode of the third series, the original Stig (McCarthy) was "killed off", with some spoof footage of the Stig supposedly driving off the end of the British aircraft carrier HMS Invincible after failing to brake in time. Some believe this was due to the uncovering of his identity, when while scheduled to appear in the 2003 Le Mans 24hr Race he was shown in an episode supposedly shot the same weekend helping the Top Gear team as the Stig in a Citroen 2CV 24hr race. This prompted a change of dress and music, and the "white Stig" was introduced in the second episode of series 3, on November 2, 2003. All that anyone can tell about the Stig is that he is a white male, as can be seen from the gap between his helmet and jumpsuit and that he wears size 10 racing boots as discovered by the Sunday Times when the Driving section wrote an article about the show.

Rumours that the Stig was former F1 world champion Damon Hill were supposedly confounded when Hill appeared on Top Gear on June 26, 2005. He did the lap and got 1.46.3. However, when asked if he was the Stig, he didn't actually deny this, and some took his apparently rapid availability to appear on the show in another guest's absence to indicate further evidence that he was the Stig. Many racing drivers are often asked if they are the Stig by the public.

On July 31, 2005, Series 6 Episode 10, a current F1 driver, Mark Webber appeared on Top Gear. He did the lap in the Suzuki Liana in 1.47.1 on a wet track. There is no reference that he is the Stig. Jeremy Clarkson even says that Webber took the same line around the first corner as Damon Hill, and that the Stig's is different. However, at the conclusion of his lap, Clarkson presents Webber with a t-shirt that reads "I AM THE STIG" on it. This is probably unlikely, as he was a current F1 driver at the time.

Rumours abound that other racers assume the mantle of the Stig in various capacities. In a Winter Olympics special episode of Top Gear, the Stig was shown doing a ski jump using a snowmobile, which was almost certainly not the "regular" Stig (if indeed there is one) as this is an extremely dangerous stunt. According to the Swedish tabloid newspaper Aftonbladet, the snowmobile driver performing the ski jump stunt was Dan Lang, a Swedish snowmobile cross driver. In January 2006, the Daily Express claimed that the identity of The Stig is former Formula 1 driver Julian Bailey. The article does not specify which episodes Bailey was supposedly the driver or provide sources for this claim.

I've also read somewhere that when Damon Hill drove the reasonably priced car, he was in fact a stand in for Davina Mcall who had to pull out at the last minute, and he was able to fill her shoes at short notice, because he is The Stig.

(not that I'm sad and have been doing a few searches online of course :D :rotfl: )

What do we all think?? I haven't a clue what to think really except the ID of the original Stig is revealed :ninja:

Dutchgirl
31-07-2006, 22:05
It makes nice reading though. I thought the first Stig was killed of whilst crashing a car from an aircraft carrier?:cool:

Jojo
31-07-2006, 22:13
It makes nice reading though. I thought the first Stig was killed of whilst crashing a car from an aircraft carrier?:cool: He was :

In the first episode of the third series, the original Stig (McCarthy) was "killed off", with some spoof footage of the Stig supposedly driving off the end of the British aircraft carrier HMS Invincible after failing to brake in time. Some believe this was due to the uncovering of his identity, when while scheduled to appear in the 2003 Le Mans 24hr Race he was shown in an episode supposedly shot the same weekend helping the Top Gear team as the Stig in a Citroen 2CV 24hr race. This prompted a change of dress and music, and the "white Stig" was introduced in the second episode of series 3, on November 2, 2003. All that anyone can tell about the Stig is that he is a white male, as can be seen from the gap between his helmet and jumpsuit and that he wears size 10 racing boots as discovered by the Sunday Times when the Driving section wrote an article about the show

And then the new one (Damon, Ben whoever they may be) arrived..

Dutchgirl
01-08-2006, 11:59
Ah well the reading bit, I might have overlooked that part.:o

Pinkbanana
01-08-2006, 15:06
Oh well all this has blown my theory out of the water, that of the Stig being Maureen from Driving School!!:rotfl:

Er.... part from that, I have no idea who the stig is! Will we ever find out?

Note: Maureen was the welsh woman who drove a lada erractically, whilst shouting at her poor hen pecked hubby who was doing his best to try to teach her to drive.

Perdita
21-01-2009, 12:07
Top Gear driver The Stig is reportedly played by four different men.

For years the identity of the cult figure, who test drives cars wearing a white suit and a white crash helmet, has remained a mystery.

However, according to the Daily Mail, the iconic figure is actually portrayed by four separate drivers.

"Since the Stig first drove on the show, it has never been practical to have one single driver taking care of all the Stig's many commitments," said a show insider.

"'Look at the pictures of the Stigs from show to show. If you look at the height of Stig in different pictures, that tells its own story."

Earlier this week, a newspaper claimed to have identified Stig as former American speedway driver Ben Collins after he reportedly outed himself.

However, the show insider insisted that people should stop trying to unmask the racer, saying: "We love to have the mystery around who he is. I just wish people would give it a rest, it's like telling people there is no Father Christmas."

A BBC spokesperson said: "We never comment on speculation as to whom or what the Stig is."

Last year, 'Who is the Stig?' was revealed to be one of the most frequently searched internet queries.

Dutchgirl
21-01-2009, 12:54
Ah well it keeps folks of the streets. Hahaha I love the mystery.

Perdita
08-02-2009, 18:40
A video which shows Top Gear's black Stig wading out of the sea has sparked rumours that the character may make a comeback.

Viewers saw the masked driver's demise in 2003 when he drove a Jaguar XJS off the end of an aircraft carrier and into the sea.

The YouTube clip, which shows a figure dressed from head to toe in black, suggests that the character survived the crash and is heading back to the racing track, says The Sun.

Last month, it was claimed that multiple drivers are used to portray white Stig on the BBC Two show.

The identity of the men or women behind the mask remains an enigma, with the question "Who is The Stig?" becoming one of the top ten queries made by users on search engine Ask.com last year.

Perdita
21-06-2009, 11:52
Jeremy Clarkson has claimed that his Top Gear co-star The Stig will finally be unmasked in tonight's episode.

The identity of the test driver, who wears a white racing suit and white crash helmet, has remained a mystery for years, prompting several theories about who is really under the mask.

Writing in The Sun, host Clarkson said: "Stig barges into the studio and in an atmosphere that you could cut with a knife removes his helmet.

"Hardened, emotionless camera crews said the hair on the back of their neck prickled. As a television moment, it's up there with Neil Armstrong walking on the... corpse of J.R. Ewing."

Reports had previously suggested that The Stig was actually portrayed by four different individuals, while others have claimed that he is a Norwegian or French racing driver.

Last year, the query 'Who is The Stig?' was revealed to be one of the most frequently searched questions on the internet.

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 11:54
Why are they unmasking him? I never wanted to know!

Layne
21-06-2009, 20:38
HE JUST REVEALED HIMSELF ON TOP GEAR :eek:

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 20:41
I know I can't believe it Michael Schumacher is the stig!:eek:

Abigail
21-06-2009, 20:49
I don't believe it :eek: I kinda don't believe it and think it could just be a way to get people to stop asking who he is. But then why would Michael put himself in that position if he wasn't :hmm: I'm not conspiracy theorist.

I wonder if he will continue driving as the Stig or if he will drive as himself.

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 20:51
I wondered why they felt the need to reveal who the stig was I liked all the mystery

Abigail
21-06-2009, 20:54
Yeah, the mystery has been solved and it's kinda "oh, ok then." We're all going to know who he is when Jeremy introduces him as the Stig.

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 20:56
I know I wished they had never revealed it now I feel a little flat about it all.

Trinity
21-06-2009, 20:57
Is he quiting? The last Stig left after being unmasked?

Or were they really all so fed up with constant speculation that Alan45, sorry, Ben Collins was the Stig?

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 20:58
It could be that he is saying goodbye to this role but I doubt it very much

Abigail
21-06-2009, 21:06
So he's not the Stig :cheer: :lol:

Trinity
21-06-2009, 21:06
Blooming 'eck what a publicity stunt!

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 21:08
I'm disappointed :(

Abigail
21-06-2009, 21:22
Arrgh, the debate has already started on Facebook as to whether he is or not :wall: Cue a dozen statuses asking if he is the stig.

They did it deliberately to confuse us. While we're all wondering if Michael is the Stig, the real Stig can go about his day in peace laughing.

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 21:26
I know. I thought the stig was Nigel Mansell but I can't see the point of revealing who the stig is. They will be better of introducing Michael by name next time they need to have a car tested

Layne
21-06-2009, 21:47
Im confused - what happened at the end of top gear?

Abigail
21-06-2009, 22:15
Michael was driving the Lasetti (I think) and was all over the shop, he crashed into the camera man and smashed the windscreen. Then Jeremy said something about was he the real Stig that implied he wasn't.

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 22:22
I feel like it was all a publicity stunt- Jeremy should of never suggested he would reveal who it was to begin with

Chloe O'brien
21-06-2009, 22:57
In one hand I want Michael to be the stig as he's is perfect for the role as I can think of all the funny situations the stig has been invloved with and I can just imagine Michael laughing his head of under that helmet, but on the other hand I wanted the stig to remain a secret.

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 22:58
It should of remained a secret!

.:SpIcYsPy:.
21-06-2009, 23:01
I really hope he isn't the Stig.. I loved the Stig because I didn't know who he/she was!!! :(

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 23:03
at one stage i thought it could of been a female driver

alan45
21-06-2009, 23:06
I really dont think Michael Schumacer was the real STIG. I think it was just a fun way to introduce him this evening

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 23:10
It feels that way now doesn't it?

Chloe O'brien
21-06-2009, 23:11
I screamed when he took his helmet off, and all I could think about was the time when they had to get around london town, Jeremy was on a boat, Hammond on a bike, James driving and Stig taking public transport and he was sitting on a tube and a london bus with his helmet on, and no-one battied an eyelid. Can you imagine sitting on the tube with Michael Schumacker sitting beside you and not knowing. arrrgghhh.

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 23:13
When he took his helmet off I was like: Oh my god- then I felt a little flat thinking all the mystery and fun had gone

Abigail
21-06-2009, 23:15
I'll be honest. When he took his helmet off I had no idea who he was :ninja: I knew he was an F1 driver but didn't have a clue who he was.

Hannelene
21-06-2009, 23:16
ah bless you :)

Chloe O'brien
21-06-2009, 23:18
I'll be honest. When he took his helmet off I had no idea who he was :ninja: I knew he was an F1 driver but didn't have a clue who he was.

You may want to hide behind the sofa when Shiv reads this, she s schumackers biggest fan. :D

Abigail
21-06-2009, 23:23
I should really. I grew up with my dad watching F1 every Sunday, seeing Schumacker on the podium with the champagne magnum. Unfortunately I never saw the appeal in watching cars go around a track at high speeds.

CrazyLea
22-06-2009, 00:43
WHAT? The Stig has been revealed? Is there a new series of Top Gear on that I didn't know about :eek: :crying:

Abigail
22-06-2009, 00:44
Yup, it started tonight. I didn't know until it was on.

The Stig hasn't been revealed, it was a hoax.

CrazyLea
22-06-2009, 00:46
Ohhhhh BBC Iplayer tomorrow!!!!!

Oh really? So was it revealed on the show though :S or just rumours? :s

Chloe O'brien
22-06-2009, 00:48
I don't know if Michael was the stig for real but he had his suit on and took his helmet off during an interview with Clarkston. I guess we will have to wait and see if it was a hoax.

Abigail
22-06-2009, 00:48
Stig took his helmet and gloves off and revealed himself as Michael Schumacher. At the end of the program Jeremy said something along the lines of Michael not being the Stig.

Kath beat me to it...

Kirsty :]
22-06-2009, 00:52
It's me.... I'm the Stig! :ninja:

CrazyLea
22-06-2009, 00:53
Lmao Kirsty wishful thinking there :p
If you're the Stig I'm Barack Obama :p

Kirsty :]
22-06-2009, 00:58
Lol watch it Panton! I am the stig. You'll see. :D

Perdita
22-06-2009, 06:12
TOP Gear's mysterious test driver The Stig was jokingly unmasked on last night's show... as F1 legend Michael Schumacher.

He took off the famous white helmet in front of a cheering audience after setting a lap record on the BBC2 show's track in a Ferrari FXX.

Presenter Jeremy Clarkson pretended not to recognise the German ace, seven times world champ.

The Sun columnist then quizzed him on a rumour The Stig was "illegal in 17 US states". Schumacher, 40, replied: "No, it's much exaggerated. It's nine."

The real Stig's identity is secret.

So it is not Michael really then?

Hannelene
22-06-2009, 06:43
I think not :(

Siobhan
22-06-2009, 09:47
nah it is not Schumacher... I watched Top gear last night and they said at the end but I didn't believe it anyway.. but he did do the lap in the Ferrari last night for the stig and he kicked ass.. Gotta love Schumacher :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Perdita
21-07-2010, 08:07
The BBC has promised to launch an inquiry after it emerged that an imposter has been posing as Top Gear's The Stig.

The fraud had been travelling in a convoy of cars labelled with the Top Gear logo and had even stopped for photographs with fans, according to The Sun.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "It would appear there is an imposter going round pretending to be The Stig. An inquiry will be launched - we want to find out who it is.

"We do have a Top Gear live tour but it is not on until November. This man is nothing to do with the television programme."

The Stig's real identity remains a closely-guarded secret, despite Michael Schumacher appearing behind the trademark helmet and visor on an episode of the motoring show last year.

Chloe O'brien
31-07-2010, 01:44
I'm surprised it taken someone this long to impersonate The Stig. I don't know who he is but in Chloe land Schumey is The Stig :heart::heart:

alan45
20-08-2010, 00:31
TOP Gear's mystery racing driver The Stig is facing the axe following a bitter row over his plan to reveal his identity.
BBC bosses blew a gasket after finding out he planned to write a book on his time on the show - despite signing a confidentiality agreement.
They are preparing to axe the character like they did his predecessor Perry McCarthy, who dressed all in black, after he broke cover.
An insider said: "Bosses are really angry.
"Part of the charm of the show is people don't know who The Stig is - if he revealed his identity that would be lost.
"Perry was dropped after his identity was reve-aled."
Only a handful of executives and the show's hosts - Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond - know who The Stig is.
Despite this, several people have been linked to the role including Bristol-based racing driver Ben Collins and former F1 stars Damon Hill and Julian Bailey.
Track legend Michael Schumacher even claimed to be The Stig as part of a stunt on the show.
The mystery test driver, who recently took actors Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz for a spin, is said to want to exploit more fully his time on the show.
He is paid between £5,000 and £10,000 an episode.
A BBC spokeswoman said: "The BBC is in a legal dispute over the publication of a book relating to Top Gear as this breaches agreed contractual and confidentiality obligations relating to the show."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3104086/Top-Gears-mystery-racing-driver-The-Stig-faces-axe-over-ID-revelations.html#ixzz0x67VzxfI

Chloe O'brien
21-08-2010, 02:26
Whoever The Stig is be is a former F1 driver or not. He has to be earning more as The Stig so why can't he keep his gob shut. We all have our fantasies who The Stig is, and that is what he is a make believe

Perdita
21-08-2010, 11:20
Guess he is gettting bored with not being able to talk about what he does

alan45
21-08-2010, 13:51
He is trying to cash in on the popularity of The Stig

Dutchgirl
21-08-2010, 14:27
He is trying to cash in on the popularity of The Stig

Well the others do so as well. So why not him ?
But the polpularity of the Stig is based on us not knowing who he is. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Perdita
23-08-2010, 05:03
RACE ace Ben Collins has been linked with telly's motoring mystery man The Stig - in documents from his own company.

Papers issued by Collins Autosport show the F3 driver signed up with Top Gear just as the iconic "white Stig" character appeared on screen in 2003.

Accounts filed that December reveal the firm had achieved a "cornerstone year".

They add that it was partly because of on-track success and say: "In addition, driving services were also provided for the BBC, mainly in the Top Gear Programme."

Enigmatic ... behind the Top Gear team
Enigmatic ... behind the Top Gear team

The accounts also state that the job at the BBC "offers good long-term prospects for continuing income".

Bristol-based Ben, 35, has been the subject of speculation claiming he plays The Stig, whose secret identity is concealed behind a driving helmet with a blacked-out visor.

It has been said he wants to blow his own cover in a book on the show - hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond - but BBC chiefs launched a legal bid to stop him.

Top Gear's previous black-clad Stig, former Formula One star Perry McCarthy, was dropped by the Beeb in 2003 when his ID emerged.

Advertisement
Quantcast

Ben, said to get up to £10,000 per show training stars in a Reasonably Priced Car, looks likely to face the same fate.

The action man, a stunt double for 007 Daniel Craig in Quantum of Solace, allegedly let slip he was the mystery man when he asked a firm to make high-quality images of Stig in the USA.

Ben fended off inquiries while competing in the six-hour 1,000km Le Mans series in Hungary at the weekend.

He told callers: "I can't speak, I'm going into a tunnel."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3106717/F3-driver-Ben-Collins-company-links-him-to-Top-Gears-The-Stig.html#ixzz0xOlMp5fy

lizann
01-09-2010, 17:42
London's High Court refused to grant the BBC an injunction blocking the publication of racing driver Ben Collins' autobiography, in which he claims to be the mystery man known as The Stig in Top Gear.

Legal action against HarperCollins, the book's publisher, began last week as the contents of the book became known. Yet the BBC refuses to confirm or deny that Ben Collins ever was (or still is) The Stig.

It is widely known that Mr Collins worked on the Top Gear show. The BBC argued that the book simply breaches confidentiality obligations.

A BBC statement said: "The Top Gear audience has always made it clear that they enjoy the mystery surrounding the identity of The Stig and the BBC felt it important to do all it could to protect that anonymity.

"The BBC brought this action as we believe it is vital to protect the character of The Stig which ultimately belongs to the licence fee payer.

"Today's judgement does not prevent the BBC from pursuing this matter to trial and the BBC will not be deterred from protecting such information from attack no matter when or by whom it should arise."

This is not the first time that Ben Collins' name has been linked with the mystery racer dressed in white. Rumour also suggests that there have been several Stigs through the years, with stand-ins including the likes of Damon Hill and even Michael Schumacher.

Stig originally was dressed all in black, but once his identity was uncovered in 2003, as Perry McCarthy, he was replaced and the current Stig was born.

James May, on hearing the ruling, told BBC London: "Obviously I'm now going to have to take some legal action of my own, because I have been the Stig for the past seven years, and I don't know who this bloke is, who's mincing around in the High Court pretending it's him."

alan45
02-09-2010, 15:31
The career of racing driver Ben Collins as Top Gear's The Stig is likely to have skidded to a halt following his High Court battle with the BBC, sources are saying.

Some call him The Stig... others call him Ben Collins, from Bristol
The 35-year-old, from Bristol, is thought to be highly unlikely to return as the show's mystery driver after he was unmasked on Wednesday.
The court case has also cast doubt on whether the character will reappear at all in the next series of the programme.
However, Jana Bennett, Director of BBC Vision, said: "Viewers of Top Gear shouldn’t worry The Stig lives on and will be back in the new year."
The next series of the programme, which is watched by an estimated 350m people worldwide, goes out in December and an announcement is unlikely before then.
Bookmakers are already taking bets on who the next Stig will be. Nigel Mansell is a favourite at 10/1.

The identity of the driver has been a badly-kept secret, having already been published in the media last year.
The Sun claims Collins is a former member of the elite SAS regiment who taught soldiers 'escape and evade' driving skills. Apparently, his secret was well known by military colleagues.
He was also a stuntman in the 2008 James Bond film Quantum of Solace.
Collins' identity was revealed after the BBC lost a legal move to block the publication by HarperCollins of an autobiography which would unmask Mr Collins's identity.
A spokesman for the corporation, which claimed the book would breach confidentiality obligations, said: "The Top Gear audience has always made it clear they enjoyed the mystery around the identity of The Stig. The BBC felt it important to protect that anonymity.
"The BBC brought this action as we believe it is vital to protect the character of The Stig, which ultimately belongs to the licence fee-payer."

Siobhan
02-09-2010, 15:49
I hope they do something like they did last time.. get rid of this stig and bring in another one.. The stig makes the show too..

alan45
02-09-2010, 16:01
I hope they do something like they did last time.. get rid of this stig and bring in another one.. The stig makes the show too..

Of course he does. I think it was a shame that he was outed. It spoils the fun.

alan45
03-09-2010, 00:48
TOP Gear's James May says The Stig will be viciously killed off - then replaced by a new driver.

Top gear ... team want their Stig outfit back
He and his fellow hosts Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson may even give the race ace a BEATING first.

And James has vowed to take back the famous white overalls, helmet and gloves.

It follows SAS hero Ben Collins' unmasking as The Stig - after a legal victory allowing him to tell all about his role in a book.

James, 47, said The Stig will be ousted in the same manner as his predecessor.

The black Stig - racing driver Perry McCarthy - was last seen by viewers driving off a cliff in 2003.

Unmasked ... Ben is The Stig
The mop-haired host explained producer Andy Wilman was furious with Ben, 35, for writing a book about his show adventures.

Nailing

He said: "There was black-overalls Stig, who had to be dealt with by Andy.

"And then we got white-overalls Stig, who will be dealt with.

Exclusive ... Sun's front page
"We start some filming next week. We've had some thoughts - driving to The Stig's house and nailing his head to the table was one.

"And getting our overalls back because they're not his.

"And those stupid, poncy shoes he wears. They're ours. And the gloves."

Collins was axed from the show on Wednesday after the BBC's failed licence payer-funded High Court battle against HarperCollins, who publish The Man In The White Suit in two weeks.

Top Gear returns for its 16th series later this year.

Chloe O'brien
03-09-2010, 12:38
Who ever takes over as the new Stig. It should be written in their contract that they keep mouths shut and can't take the show to court. Ben Collins is a fool he is going to regret being revealed as The Stig.

moonstorm
03-09-2010, 13:09
I heard on the news this morning that Ben Collins is going to try for his own show. What a spoil sport he is!

tammyy2j
03-09-2010, 16:51
'Top Gear' presenter James May has claimed that The Stig would be killed off before being replaced by a different driver, reports The Sun.

The news follows the revelation that the show's current mystery driver has been identified as SAS hero Ben Collins, after a court battle allowed him to publish an autobiography unmasking him as The Stig.

May also suggested that the driver could be ousted in a similar way to his predecessor Perry McCarthy, when his identity was revealed back in 2003.

He said that he would probably team up with fellow 'Top Gear' hosts Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond to beat up The Stig, before taking back his famous white outfit and helmet.

The 47-year-old presenter told The Sun: "There was black-overalls Stig, who had to be dealt with by Andy.

"And then we got white-overalls Stig, who will be dealt with.

"We start some filming next week. We've had some thoughts - driving to The Stig's house and nailing his head to the table was one.

"And getting our overalls back because they're not his.

"And those stupid, poncy shoes he wears. They're ours. And the gloves."

'Top Gear' is due to come back for a new series later this year.

Abigail
03-09-2010, 19:41
I don't see why the BBC fought to keep his identity a secret. They should have sacked him for even thinking about releasing the book and hired another driver. If its written into his contract that he isn't allowed to disclose his real job (as it is for security services) and he signed a confidentiality agreement, they could dismiss him for breach of contract. Ben would have no legal leg to stand on.

All this has done is turn a brilliant job and working relationship with the BBC sour and ruined any chance of the BBC ever hiring him again. Although I reckon ITV2 will be straight on the phone to his manager for a fly on the wall documentary...

Perdita
04-09-2010, 13:24
A HUNKY young racing driver who has already doubled for The Stig is being tipped as his replacement.

Phil Keen, 26, is understood to have played the part of unmasked Top Gear star Ben Collins - behind the wheel and at public appearances.

He is thought to be favourite to don the famous white suit and helmet if show bosses decide to save the mysterious character.

A pal said: "If the Beeb are planning to wheel out a new Stig, Phil must be the man.

"He's already worn the white suit and helmet for Top Gear when Ben wasn't available and stood in for him at a roadshow event in Germany last year.

"Phil's a decent young racing driver and I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to fill The Stig's shoes. He'd be more than up to the job."

Berkshire-based Phil began racing at eight and made a name in the karting and touring car circuit.

Top Gear producers enlisted him as part of the team behind zany car stunts and he was recently pictured with The Stig - former SAS man Ben, 35, who has left the show.

The Beeb has yet to say if a new Stig will be recruited or if the faceless character will be axed.

Phil was as tight-lipped as his hero The Stig last night and did not respond to messages.

A Top Gear source said: "It's going to be a tall order to replace The Stig when everyone now knows who played the original.

"His departure will leave a big hole in the show which will need to be filled."

A BBC spokeswoman said: "No decision has yet been made as to whether The Stig will be killed off - and we're making no further comment."

Perdita
08-09-2010, 06:05
SEXY blonde German race ace Sabine Schmitz is hot favourite to become Top Gear’s Stigette.

Bookies have taken a load of bets on a girl becoming The Stig now Ben Collins, 35, has been axed for unmasking himself.

And Sabine, 41, is topping the list of possibles to don a pink racing suit, according to sources.

Show host James May, 47, admitted that the racy lady would be perfect to pull on The Stig’s racing helmet.

She has made several appearances on the hit BBC2 show, which attracts 8million viewers.

On one occasion she raced a Transit van around the Nürburgring racetrack in Germany faster than Jeremy Clarkson,

50, could manage in a souped-up sports car.

Divorcee Sabine also has her own motoring shows on German television.

William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams said: “We have had several punters looking to bet on the next Stig being
female.”

:searchme: I thought they already had decided on a replacement. And knowing who the Stig is takes the fun out of it all :(

alan45
09-09-2010, 07:46
A distinctive white helmet worn by Top Gear driver The Stig during the BBC show is expected to fetch up to £1,200 at auction in Sussex.

It is being sold by Sophia Vaizey, 30, of Hove, who worked on the show for 18 months as a production co-ordinator, and received it as a leaving present.

The helmet was signed by The Stig, who wore it between 2002 and 2005, presenter Richard Hammond and the crew.

It will be auctioned at Gorringes in Lewes, East Sussex, on 20 October.

'Felt honoured'
Mrs Vaizey said: "Selling the helmet has been something that has been on my mind for a while.

"But I'm looking to buy a house and this has been stored in a cupboard at my mum's house while I have been travelling around and living in different places.

"I'm quite a sentimental person and I don't want to let go of it, but as my family have said to me it might not be worth anything in 10 years' time."

She added: "The Stig wore that one on the show for quite a while. He then got a new one for safety reasons, so it got stored away in the Top Gear office.

"I was quite surprised when they gave it to me but also I felt honoured."

Mrs Vaizey said working on the show was probably the most fun job she had ever had.

Stig's identity
The Stig is famous for his racing overalls and dark-visored helmet.

Last week the High Court in London refused to grant the BBC an injunction blocking the publication of a book which claimed to reveal his identity.

The book, called The Man In The White Suit, claims former Formula Three driver Ben Collins is the mystery driver on the BBC Two show.

The first Stig, Perry McCarthy, was dropped in 2003 after his identity was uncovered.

Several racing drivers have been linked to the role, including former Formula One world champions Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher.

Chloe O'brien
15-09-2010, 12:12
I would like to see a former F1 driver be the new Stig. But keep it a secret who it is. Since we cant have Schumacher or Vettel. Maybe Mika Hakkinen or Kimi Raikkonen could step into the role.

Siobhan
15-09-2010, 13:10
I would like to see a former F1 driver be the new Stig. But keep it a secret who it is. Since we cant have Schumacher or Vettel. Maybe Mika Hakkinen or Kimi Raikkonen could step into the role.

I would have included Heidfeld in that too but he is new Sauber driver... I still think Jos Verstappen would be great!!! either Hakkinen or Raikkonen (can't remember which) has approached Renualt next year for a drive..

annette_tr9
17-09-2010, 13:05
how about Jacques Villeneuve........he will need new colour overalls now though, we have had black and white......i vote for pink!

Chloe O'brien
20-09-2010, 00:22
Eddie Irvine in Emerald Green overalls.

annette_tr9
20-09-2010, 08:55

Eddie Irvine in no overalls.......................................... .:)

Perdita
01-10-2010, 13:52
The Stig is joining rival show 'Fifth Gear'.

The 'Top Gear' speed king - real name Ben Collins - was sacked by the BBC show last month after revealing his identity amid plans to release his autobiography, so has now been signed up by the Channel Five show.

Ben - who is not allowed to wear his trademark Stig white suit and white helmet - said of his new role: "I'm delighted to be joining the 'Fifth Gear' team. And I'm looking forward to a new set of exciting challenges. apparently with and without the helmet."

As well as taking part in Stig-like challenges, he will also be co-presenting alongside hosts Tiff Needell and Jason Plato.

Ben appeared on 'Top Gear' - which is hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond - for seven years where his identity remained a mystery until the BBC lost a case when they tried to stop his book being released.

Ben has since claimed senior boss Andy Wilman made him feel like he was no greater asset to them than a show prop.

He said: "People seemed to have got used to me doing a stunt or a slide brilliantly. If you do it right they look easy, but they're not. Yet Andy has since said I was the same as a Dalek or the 'Blue Peter' dog."

Siobhan
05-10-2010, 13:18

One for you... there is only one Stig and it is this Legend!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v15ssx3_Xc

Chloe O'brien
08-10-2010, 23:49
If I could click the thank you icon a million times I would. In Chloe land Schumey will always be The one and only Stig.