PDA

View Full Version : EE lost to emmerdale again

callummc
14-07-2006, 10:51
did everyone see the mauling EE took on the news,in the papers over emmerdale beating them on tuesday night,is anyone suprised,i'm not,they reached an all time low with only 5.2 million watching and last night they went head to head again ,anyone think enders could have won,or will they have sunk further

Babe14
14-07-2006, 11:02
Personally I think that Eastenders deserves to sink further because of the crap scripts, lack of viewing time for characters, unfair distribution of decent storylines, all the character "Assassinations" and the "All New Make-Over" which is happening. O.K there are small areas of the soap which I still enjoy and last weeks was o.k.
However, compared to Emmerdale there is no comparison as Emmerdale has decent and good scripts, Great storylines, Characters have their fair share of viewing time along with decent storylines. Emmerdale really deserves some long over due recognision and I for one am glad that Easties is being pushed down the ratings by it.
Emmerdale has everything spot on, as far as I am concerened.:)

callummc
14-07-2006, 11:11
i never thought i'd say this babe but i totaly agree with you,ee has been slipping for he last 2 years,its boring,according to a post on DS enders are in deep doo dar with only 3 mill watching last ,if this is correct which wouldn't suprise me,maybe enders might get the message and get themselves some new writers with some immagination before its to late

chance
14-07-2006, 11:19
EE is rubbish! I for one am glad emmerdale is now getting the recognition it deserves.I heard ee got its worst all time low with 3:9 million the other night.

Babe14
14-07-2006, 11:26
According to the producers etc though Eastenders is doing well (re soap Awards speach) and the scripts are good. They who run the show are very good at cracking jokes now aren't they?:rotfl:

Personally I think that Easties has hit the self destruct button.

P.S Callumc:eek: I never thought I'd see the day we'd agree:lol:

Babe14
14-07-2006, 11:28
EE is rubbish! I for one am glad emmerdale is now getting the recognition it deserves.I heard ee got its worst all time low with 3:9 million the other night.

I find Easties very plastic in comparison to Emmerdale etc and it's a sure sign when big names such as "Pauline Fowler" quit after 22 years or are they being pushed? I know what I think!
Emmerdale is excellent aright now, o.k it too has it's off times but not very often:)

diamond1
14-07-2006, 12:15
they need to sto bringing new characters in and focus on the ones they already got, people will always remember den watts but what about max branning...see where im going with this

Chloe O'brien
14-07-2006, 12:21
I'm not a soap fan but I do think that Emmerdale has come up with better storylines over the last few months. What surprises me is that If EE are doing so badly in the ratings how come they won the best soap award this year

diamond1
14-07-2006, 12:27
I'm not a soap fan but I do think that Emmerdale has come up with better storylines over the last few months. What surprises me is that If EE are doing so badly in the ratings how come they won the best soap award this year

*coughs*

fix....

:rotfl:

eastenders fans are pretty loyal and are a huge number of internet fans that contributes

Katy
14-07-2006, 12:33
i think Edale deserves to beat the likes of EE its finally become one of the main 3 competetors. It has really great storylines that keep you interested. I also find if you miss EE then you can watch the next episode and you have nty really missed much.

callummc
14-07-2006, 13:37
well is official now,media guardian are reporing Ee lowes ever veiwing figures fo last night-Emmerdale 6.7 with a 41%share and EE 3.9 with 23% share

Chris_2k11
14-07-2006, 14:50
EE loses out to Emmerdale again and rightly so. I've enjoyed about one or two episodes of EE in the past couple of weeks and that's it. Saying that, Emmerdale hasn't been great these past few months but has certainly improved in the last few weeks. I even find a soap like Hollyoaks which rarely pulls in 2 million viewers these days much more entertaining with far better decent storylines and scripts. For a start off EE need to stop bringing in so many new characters all the time. There's usually at least one every couple of weeks and it's getting plain stupid. :nono: It's turned into a completely different show nowadays and things aren't looking good. :nono:

diamond1
14-07-2006, 15:24
2006 has been an odd year...coronation street was great during the mike baldwin stuff but thats it and eastenders was ok during the jhonny allen stuff but thats it

emmerdale has been consitent all through out the year...my personal faviroute hollyoaks has been very underestimated and like emmerdale very consitent.

eastenders has nothing that really grips me anymore I hear they got a good summer coming and a hot christmas storyline but thats not good enough eastenders is on every week in the year it shouldnt just focus on summer and christmas storylines that are huge and not bother with the rest.
Eastenders should be gritty but its turning into a joke too many pointless storys (e.g paulines wedding to joe)

There's usually at least one every couple of weeks and it's getting plain stupid

true and they dont give us a reason to like them Jack was a new character we liked yet he went so soon..no fault of eastenders mind,yet deano 'walfords new heartthrob' what is his purpose he is so dull he could be a great character but all he does is sit in the pub and wind up bradley and
in genral be a younger garry hobbs.

I could go on and on

Kim
14-07-2006, 15:45
Although I'm a big fan of EastEnders, I am not surprised that they lost out to Emmerdale on Tuesday, it being the run up to the fire at King's river.

Meh
14-07-2006, 19:00
Now being reported on the BBC Site:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5180518.stm

di marco
14-07-2006, 20:36
well is official now,media guardian are reporing Ee lowes ever veiwing figures fo last night-Emmerdale 6.7 with a 41%share and EE 3.9 with 23% share

6.7m, thats not that much either to normal viewing figures is it? (or i could just be talking a load of rubbish lol!) also, was emmerdale on from 7 til 8, cos if it was then people just probably carried on watching emmerdale through and recorded ee, thats what i normally do when im watching something (im not saying that i dont agree with other peoples comments about ee not being that good at present, and i cant compare it to emmerdale cos i dont watch it, im just trying to think if there are any other reasons why it might have happened)

DaVeyWaVey
14-07-2006, 22:07
I am not surprised Emmerdale beat EE, i watched Emmerdale over EE on Tuesday and Thursday, EE doesn't have anything big happening at the moment while Emmerdale does because of the explosion at the development so i am not surprised.

What i am surprised about is that EE only got 3.9 million viewers!! :eek: :eek:
I know Emmerdale would have beat EE, but i thought EE's ratings would have been higher!

Kim
14-07-2006, 22:53
Yeah it was on from 7 until 8. In all honesty I would have kept Emmerdale on regardless, had I been in control of the remote. I think Emmerdale also timed it so that the explosion began at the exact time you would need to switch so you didn't miss any of EastEnders, in order to capture more viewers.

Babe14
15-07-2006, 07:56
Even though there is evidence that Easties is losing it big time, espec to Emmerdale:D , they who run the show are still in denial and are claiming that the show is still blossoming and pulling in the viewers, IMO (re:Article mentioned above) So it seems to me that they are in "Big" trouble and just won't admit it, the soap is sinking fast.

Chris_2k11
15-07-2006, 08:04
I can't understand why anybody would have chosen to watch EE on Thursday night knowing that something as good as this was going to happen in Emmerdale. (Unless of course you've never watched Emmerdale before which is obviously an exception! lol)

Babe14
15-07-2006, 09:04
I can't understand why anybody would have chosen to watch EE on Thursday night knowing that something as good as this was going to happen in Emmerdale. (Unless of course you've never watched Emmerdale before which is obviously an exception! lol)

LOL! or you just fancied having a snooze:lol:

Easties are going to have big problems over the coming weeks, due to Emmerdale running two big storylines side by side and there is plenty more to come.

Chris_2k11
15-07-2006, 09:14
LOL! or you just fancied having a snooze:lol:

Easties are going to have big problems over the coming weeks, due to Emmerdale running two big storylines side by side and there is plenty more to come.a snooze haha :lol:

Yep Emmerdale's certainly going to have a lot going on over the coming weeks with this explosion..

also Terence's body being discovered in the foundations of the wreckage

and

Alice dying

..so i'm guessing there's maybe going to be another one or two head to heads coming up in the next few months :searchme: No doubt Emmerdale will be winning unless EE pulls their fingers out and gives us some DECENT viewing. :rolleyes: :)

Jojo
15-07-2006, 10:00
There is that thing like someone else said before though, about people recording EE to watch after watching Emmerdale, as the hour long episodes started before EE did. I did exactly that - watched Emmerdale as it started before EE and recorded EE to watch later. So whilst the viewing figures are definitely down and something definitely needs to be done about EE, I don't think that the ratings are true figures of how many people are actually watching in that sense of it.

Babe14
15-07-2006, 10:13
There is that thing like someone else said before though, about people recording EE to watch after watching Emmerdale, as the hour long episodes started before EE did. I did exactly that - watched Emmerdale as it started before EE and recorded EE to watch later. So whilst the viewing figures are definitely down and something definitely needs to be done about EE, I don't think that the ratings are true figures of how many people are actually watching in that sense of it.

Surely when you record something it will somehow be picked up in the figures. If not add a few more figures onto Emmerdale as I always watch a day behind or in Easties case one week (omnibus).:lol:

Kim
15-07-2006, 10:14
Read in the sun that viewing figures dropped to 3.9m for EastEnders on Thursday.

Babe14
15-07-2006, 10:20
Yep Emmerdale's certainly going to have a lot going on over the coming weeks with this explosion..

..so i'm guessing there's maybe going to be another one or two head to heads coming up in the nest few months :searchme: No doubt Emmerdale will be winning unless EE pulls their fingers out and gives us some DECENT viewing. :rolleyes: :)

I feel that it's a little too late where Easties is concerned because of the "change" and more newbies are on their way. Given the fact that it takes a while for newbies to become "established" and they are concentrated on so we become familiar with them, I don't hold out much hope. (Like I have said previously I do still enjoy small areas of the soap) There is just nothing familiar about it anymore.
However Emmerdale, still have most of the regular characters and the upcoming storylines involve them, plus ITV seem to have the best writers. (The best writers of all for me right now are the Australian ones.)

Babe14
15-07-2006, 10:22
Read in the sun that viewing figures dropped to 3.9m for EastEnders on Thursday.

Oh could that have something to do with an explosion I wonder....:)

Jojo
15-07-2006, 10:30
Surely when you record something it will somehow be picked up in the figures. If not add a few more figures onto Emmerdale as I always watch a day behind or in Easties case one week (omnibus).:lol: I think they do but these aren't incorporated until a week after the programme in question was shown looking at the BARB website. They must do though otherwise they aren't true viewing figures. I think it takes up to a week for it all to be incorporated or something :searchme:

Babe14
15-07-2006, 10:33
I think they do but these aren't incorporated until a week after the programme in question was shown looking at the BARB website

Thanks:) Thought they must be somehow. So going by that there are never really any "actual" viewing figures, more like approx.

Jojo
15-07-2006, 10:35
Thanks:) Thought they must be somehow. So going by that there are never really any "actual" viewing figures, more like approx. Yep, though I don't think we need to know viewing figures to know how downhill EE has gone over the past couple of years - its nothing like it used to be and its no wonder the original cast are dropping like flies - rats and a sinking ship spring to mind.

Babe14
15-07-2006, 10:39
Yep, though I don't think we need to know viewing figures to know how downhill EE has gone over the past couple of years - its nothing like it used to be and its no wonder the original cast are dropping like flies - rats and a sinking ship spring to mind.
There have been to many departures and to many new arrivals in a very short space of time. Still at the end of the day it's not really down to "character" change more to do with Storylines and script quality. Easties have no decent storylines and they drag on and on..

Jojo
15-07-2006, 11:01
There have been to many departures and to many new arrivals in a very short space of time. Still at the end of the day it's not really down to "character" change more to do with Storylines and script quality. Easties have no decent storylines and they drag on and on.. They really need to start taking a long look at their storylines and their writers and sort something out quick. I've watched since the start, but I hardly ever bother now and I think its probably the same for others like me. Its just dire at the moment - nothing interests me at the moment in it.

Chris_2k11
15-07-2006, 11:07
I hate all these new characters. I'd rather have old ones back than all these new people.

Babe14
15-07-2006, 11:07
They really need to start taking a long look at their storylines and their writers and sort something out quick. I've watched since the start, but I hardly ever bother now and I think its probably the same for others like me. Its just dire at the moment - nothing interests me at the moment in it.

I have also watched from the start and like yourself have seen the changes and I'm not really bothered about it anymore either. I can see me in the near future just not bothering at all.
With Tony Jordan leaving next Jan I can just see things becoming worse as I believe that he was their main consultant. Yes I think that a whole new set of writers need to be brought in with imaginations.

callummc
18-07-2006, 10:29
emmerdale beat enders again on friday night,so a lot of people must be sticking with them,emmerdale got 6.5 with a 42%share and ee got 6.4 but their audince share was well down at only 38%,maybe they should come out of denial now,and instead of defending themselves they should start trying to improve things

diamond1
18-07-2006, 13:44
is it anywonder

eastenders does not have a gripping story right now unlike emmerdale whe it does Im sure it will regain its form

Pinkbanana
18-07-2006, 16:21
I think Enders has improved over this last year, but has some way to go (I find that painful to write as a big Enders fan!). They have sorted out most of the continuity problems they had. Think they need a big storyline. However, soaps are about everyday life too, and I think they do the mundane very well! lol

Liking some of their new characters the Brannings, Kevin Wickes etc....

I think its getting there.:D

Kim
18-07-2006, 18:56
I disagree, they're bringing in too many different characters too quickly. It was definitely better last year with the exception of a few storylines.

EE Rocks
26-07-2006, 14:40
I hate Emmerdale! At least Eastenders don't have to do explosions every month to get viewers. Emmerdale does. EE is the best and my fave soap Ever. Eastenders beats emmerdale on a normal day, emmerdale had a big explosion that's why they won.

alan45
26-07-2006, 15:02
I hate Emmerdale! At least Eastenders don't have to do explosions every month to get viewers. Emmerdale does. EE is the best and my fave soap Ever. Eastenders beats emmerdale on a normal day, emmerdale had a big explosion that's why they won. Nothing to do with the poor writing and rubbish storylines then:rolleyes:

EE Rocks
26-07-2006, 15:29
Errm no because EE beats it on a normal day (when emmerdale dosen't have explosions, which is rare).

alan45
26-07-2006, 15:34
Errm no because EE beats it on a normal day (when emmerdale dosen't have explosions, which is rare). Sorry but they do not have explosions on Emmerdale every week or every month for that matter so please do not exagerate. They beat EE because of superior writing, better actors and fantastic storylines. Much better than cardboard funfairs, pathetic gangsters and people rising from the dead.:rolleyes:

EE Rocks
26-07-2006, 15:54
Whateve floats your boat, but emmerdale in my opinion is the most dire soap EVER.

Richie_lecturer
26-07-2006, 20:09
Well at the end of the day, that's your opinion. I'll stick to mine thanks.

If you consider how far Emmerdale has come in recent years, just to be hot on EE's tails is a remarkable achievement, considering it was close to being axed 12-13 years ago. It's only about 3-4% behind it share wise on a normal day anyway, and as for audience levels, well EE's are consistently higher because more people watch TV between 7:30 & 8:30, NOT 7pm, mostly because of people coming home late from work and having dinner. No wonder EE has over a million more viewers.

Pinkbanana
26-07-2006, 20:16
I never knew that Emmerdale came close to being axed? When was that before the plane crash, I guess?

Richie_lecturer
26-07-2006, 20:24
Yep, it was always not far from being axed during the 70s and 80s in the Emmerdale Farm days, though because it was just on twice a week in the afternoons then on a seasonal basis, people would'nt have noticed its demise. By 1993 though it had a prime-time slot so was much more in the public eye. The soap was going to be axed until then boss Phil Redmond (yes him!) came up with the Plane Crash to generate interest in the show. That said even after the disaster, Emmerdale's ratings slipped back again despite a few dramatic storylines into 1994 such as the Home Farm raid and Post Office raid. Apparently what saved the soap was the arrival of the Dingles, a creation of new boss Mervyn Watson, who devised the Ken/Deirdre/Mike storyline for Corrie in the 80s. Since then the show has steadily built up viewers.

Katy
26-07-2006, 20:28
argh good old Phil Redmond, he could turn anything good. The guys a legend.

Emmerdale has been improving all the time. Eastenders has been going down hill theres no other explanation. Explotion or no explosion Emmerdale is funnier has better storys and characters that are interesting and not getting changed all the time you miss an episode of EE and theres a new family. I cant keep up.

DaVeyWaVey
26-07-2006, 21:15
Emmerdale has seriously improved in my opinion, i used to think it was a boring show set around a farm and elderly villagers, but now i really like it and i watch it on a regular basis, i don't know why i like it now, it's just improved. :)

I still watch EE, it went seriously downhill in 2003/2004 but now i think it has improved and back on top.

I watch both Emmerdale and Eastenders on a regular basis. :)

Richie_lecturer
26-07-2006, 21:28
Well it moved away from solely the Farm in the late 80s, before you were even born!

There were a few older characters but there was a fair balance. There weren't many youngish characters but then again there weren't in any of the big three soaps until the mid-late 90s, when they introduced more younger cast to all three soaps to attract younger viewers and boost advertising (ITV).

Pinkbanana
26-07-2006, 21:49
Well it moved away from solely the Farm in the late 80s, before you were even born!

There were a few older characters but there was a fair balance. There weren't many youngish characters but then again there weren't in any of the big three soaps until the mid-late 90s, when they introduced more younger cast to all three soaps to attract younger viewers and boost advertising (ITV).

Ah..... the old farm. Those were the days when Jack spend half the episode with his hand up a cow's backside ect.... Didnt the Sudgens all live in the same farm house, a bit like the Waltons, only set in th dales?

Richie_lecturer
26-07-2006, 22:21
Yes they all lived in the same house.

Jack was never the key member of the family though with regards to farming. That belonged to his brother, Joe. Joe was in it from episode 1 in 1972 until 1994 when he moved to Spain. He died in a car crash off-screen shortly afterwards.

Babe14
27-07-2006, 06:25
I hate Emmerdale! At least Eastenders don't have to do explosions every month to get viewers. Emmerdale does. EE is the best and my fave soap Ever. Eastenders beats emmerdale on a normal day, emmerdale had a big explosion that's why they won.

Emmerdale have beaten Eastenders before without an explosion. (and I don't recall one happening every month)The reason why Emmerdale beats Eastenders hands down is because of the excellent writing, storylines/scripts that are produced, plus the producers themselves know how to run a soap correctly.
I won't go into my usual "rant" about why I think that Eastenders is crap nowadays but will just say that it's down to the scripts, majority of pathetic storylines and the way in which the producers handle things.

Over the years Emmerdale have gained viewers and Eastenders have lost viewers. Emmerdale is finally being recognised for the excellent soap that it has always been.

alan45
27-07-2006, 06:44
Well I think last nights episode showed why Emmerdale is the UKs best soap. Superb acting and scripts. Well done Emmerdale.

Babe14
27-07-2006, 07:00
Well I think last nights episode showed why Emmerdale is the UKs best soap. Superb acting and scripts. Well done Emmerdale.

Haven't seen that one yet. But from the comments I have read on here so far this morning, including yours:) it sounds another cracker.:)
I can honestly say Emmerdale is truly keeping me gripped at the moment, unlike Eastenders.

Jojo
27-07-2006, 09:37
Yes they all lived in the same house.

Jack was never the key member of the family though with regards to farming. That belonged to his brother, Joe. Joe was in it from episode 1 in 1972 until 1994 when he moved to Spain. He died in a car crash off-screen shortly afterwards. Cor, I remember Joe Sugden - Frazer Hines (sp?) wasn't it. I have to admit, I only started watching when the plane crash occurred, and then stopped watching a couple of years later, but have always watched the odd episode when I haven't been putting the children to bed etc (as I find that 7pm is an awkward time for me) but now I Sky + it each night and watch it as I'm finding the storylines far more topical in amongst some of the comedy moments.

Pinkbanana
27-07-2006, 10:21
[QUOTE=Richie_lecturer] The soap was going to be axed until then boss Phil Redmond (yes him!) came up with the Plane Crash to generate interest in the show. Apparently what saved the soap was the arrival of the Dingles [QUOTE]

Yeah, the Dingles were a great invention. I remember them arriving! I think the one Dingle who was just fab was Mandy Dingle!! She was hilarious!!! I'd start watching it again if they bought her back! Til then stick to my Enders!

i think they still have big disasters to generate interest, though that kind of think bores me as its only a short term thing and realistically how many more major disasters can one small village in the Dales have?! lol

Richie_lecturer
27-07-2006, 11:50
My favourite Dingles were Tina and Charity.

Ems, you're right, Frazer Hines played Joe Sugden.

Chris_2k11
27-07-2006, 12:03
Charity was by far the best Dingle. A brilliant character who is irreplaceable. It was a real shame she left in the end.

Atleast she got one over on Sadie though ey :cool:

callummc
01-09-2006, 13:36
well emmerdale have done it again last night ,Emmerdale got 6.4 and a 35% share and EE got 5.8 with a 30%share,looks like enders are still in trouble ,got to admit enders has been OK this last couple of weeks so i would have thought they would have stood a better chance

Babe14
01-09-2006, 13:52
I think that it's just a case of people preferring to watch Emmerdale as the storylines and writing tend to be much better.
Yes I agree Enders showed signs of improvement last week and they do have some strong characters, can't comment on this week's yet.

I think that if Enders and Emmerdale went head to head on a regular basis, Emmerdale would maintain their lead more often than not.

BlackKat
01-09-2006, 13:55
I think you have to take into account the fact that Emmerdale started earlier (so many people would continue to watch, rather than turn over) and that EE was repeated only a few hours later.

Although I do prefer Emmerdale, it was more the two above factors that made me decide to watch Emmerdale, then anything else.

Babe14
01-09-2006, 14:04
I think you have to take into account the fact that Emmerdale started earlier (so many people would continue to watch, rather than turn over) and that EE was repeated only a few hours later.

Although I do prefer Emmerdale, it was more the two above factors that made me decide to watch Emmerdale, then anything else.

I agree but I think that it also shows that Emmerdale are producing some good storylines inorder for people to continue to watch rather than tunrover half way through. If it was crap then they would turnover and watch Enders at it's usual time rather than later or wait for the omnibus as I do, or record even. So options may contribute towards things, however Emmerdale is repeated on ITV2 or 3 plus has an omnibus.

alan45
01-09-2006, 14:47
I agree but I think that it also shows that Emmerdale are producing some good storylines inorder for people to continue to watch rather than tunrover half way through. If it was crap then they would turnover and watch Enders at it's usual time rather than later or wait for the omnibus as I do, or record even. So options may contribute towards things, however Emmerdale is repeated on ITV2 or 3 plus has an omnibus.Emmerdale is quite simply the stronger of the two at the moment. The storylines are better and only the most diehard ee fan could deny that the writing is far superior. For the forseeable future it seems that Emmerdale will win all the head to heads.

EE Rocks
01-09-2006, 15:04
Yep, they did win but not by a lot, mind. There was a little gap, and some people who watched Emmerdale are hardly going to turn over half way through, plus EE repeats at 10:00pm and on sundays!!! You never know whether Emmerdale will continue to win all these head to heads, i bet if it was on christmas EE would win hands down, or Dennis's murder. Quite frankly, I am sick to the back teeth of these head to heads, and it's about time ITV and BBC make a deal like they have with Corrie.

DaVeyWaVey
01-09-2006, 15:07
I was out last night so i taped the hour long Emmerdale and watched Eastenders at 10pm, if i had to choose though, i would choose to watch Emmerdale for the whole hour because what's the point in switching over halfway through?! And i knew i was able to watch Eastenders at 10pm on BBC3 anyway.

callummc
02-09-2006, 13:32
whats happening now just proves how much EE has lost a lot of its appeal to a lot of veiwers,there was a time when ee main apponent was corrie ,now they are losing out to emmerdale ,if ee was up to scratch like emmerdale is there would be no competition,but sadly ee can't seem to get back up there

EE Rocks
02-09-2006, 13:44
EE is back up there IMO!! The only reason Emmerdale keeps winning is cause (a. they always start half an hour earlier) (B. People are hardly going to turn over half through). EE Won in the last 15 minutes according to Media Guardian! (Well done, it is the closest they've ever come). Think about it, if EE and Emmerdale went head to head on Christmas, with EE starting half an hour first,, who do you think will win? It is not fair, it's just those *******s at ITV who keep doing it!! No offence but people say EE has lost it, but Emmerdale is hardly at it's best, like all the soaps were back then!!:angry:

alan45
02-09-2006, 14:23
, but Emmerdale is hardly at it's best, If it beats DE when not at its best then just imagine how much it will beat them by when it is at its best. People can make whatever excuses they want but the simple FACT is that more people preferred to watch Emmerdale:)

alan45
02-09-2006, 14:50
whats happening now just proves how much EE has lost a lot of its appeal to a lot of veiwers,there was a time when ee main apponent was corrie ,now they are losing out to emmerdale ,if ee was up to scratch like emmerdale is there would be no competition,but sadly ee can't seem to get back up there I agree with you there. The simpple fact of the matter is that Emmerdale is gripping viewing. They have so many good stories going on at the minute. They have characters that people can actually care about and relate to. EE was once the greatest soap but sadly its decline over the last few years is apparent to most. What was once Unmissable has now become (with the exception of the occasional brilliant episode) Unwatchable

Pinkbanana
02-09-2006, 14:51

Yep think you are right there BK.

However, Enders this week with the abortion business, isnt going to be everyones cuppa tea (it left me drained after Thursday's episode). Thus maybe folk preferred to watch two attractive girls mud wrestling instead in Emmerdale! :lol:

callummc
15-09-2006, 14:05
here we go again,next thursday they go head to head again,emmerdale have a big storyline going,sdie's exit,it looks like their on to a winner again,anyone agree

alan45
15-09-2006, 14:37
here we go again,next thursday they go head to head again,emmerdale have a big storyline going,sdie's exit,it looks like their on to a winner again,anyone agree Even without SADie's exit they would still beat DE hands down. The Billy/Honey story which showed such promise has failed to turn me into a regular DE viewer again. THere are no other really interesting stories in it whereas there aare lots of great stories in Emmerdale to keep everyone hooked. The SADie/Cain is just one, we have Rodneys bankruptcy storyline, Val buying the pub, Viv's Twins. All in all it looks like Emmerdale will continue to win ALL the head to heads for the forseeable future. Quite rightly too.

Siobhan
15-09-2006, 14:57
Hate to say it but yes Emmerdale will win.. there is nothing happening in EE at the moment and next week it will just be all the stacey/bradley fans watching which is most of the under 16 population

Chris_2k11
15-09-2006, 14:59
Viv's TwinsI would hardly call this a great storyline alan.. it's rapidly sending me to sleep. :) I would tend to agree on the other points though.

Chris_2k11
15-09-2006, 15:05
and next week it will just be all the stacey/bradley fans watching which is most of the under 16 populationIt should be renamed the Stacey show.

Katy
15-09-2006, 16:07
Id pick ED over EE anyday, if you miss EE you dont really miss anything where as EDale has something to keep you gripped or wait for. I am looking forward to Sadies exit and no doubt EDale will win again.

alan45
15-09-2006, 16:37
It should be renamed the Stacey show. :rolleyes: Yes and moved to CBBC:rotfl:

DaVeyWaVey
15-09-2006, 17:41
Emmerdale will definetly win against EE again i think, Emmerdale is brilliant at the moment and i agree the storylines they have keep you hooked. There doesn't seem to be much going on in Eastenders next week so i would definetly watch the hour long Emmerdale. But i am away next week for a few days anyway, so i won't watch Emmerdale or EE on the night but i am definetly choosing to tape Emmerdale over EE.

In The Know
15-09-2006, 18:09
:rolleyes: Yes and moved to CBBC:rotfl:

My sides are hurting here.

:rotfl: :bow: :lweek:

alan45
17-09-2006, 20:13
Emmerdale will definetly win against EE again i think, Emmerdale is brilliant at the moment and i agree the storylines they have keep you hooked. There doesn't seem to be much going on in Eastenders next week so i would definetly watch the hour long Emmerdale. But i am away next week for a few days anyway, so i won't watch Emmerdale or EE on the night but i am definetly choosing to tape Emmerdale over EE. After watching tonights brilliant Emmerdale I think the result of the head to head is a foregone conclusion:D

Babe14
18-09-2006, 09:32
Given the crap that Enders once again churned out last week and compare it with what Emmerdale produced last week and have in store for us over the next few weeks, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Emmerdale will continue to beat Eastenders.
Also I am noticing that more and more people are choosing Emmerdale over Eastenders and it wouldn't surprise me if in the very near future it will be Emmerdale and Corrie doing battle for the number one spot. I also expect Emmerdale to start getting some long overdue recognistion and well deserved awards, if they don't then I know that the awards etc are fixed.

alan45
22-09-2006, 14:40
From Media Guardian;
Emmerdale thriller crushes EastEnders

Emmerdale: climax of Sadie and Tom kidnapping storyline

ITV1's special hour-long episode of Emmerdale, in which Patsy Kensit's designer-clad bitch Sadie finally got her comeuppance, relegated rival soap EastEnders to its second-worst ever audience last night.
The dramatic climax of the Sadie and Tom kidnapping storyline was watched by almost half of the available TV audience between 7pm and 8pm.

An average of 8.3 million viewers, a 43% audience share, tuned in to see the characters stare death in the face and only one of them emerge to tell the tale.

The second half-hour of the ITV soap had almost double the number of viewers of EastEnders and reduced the BBC1 show to its second-worst audience.

EastEnders was watched by 4.5 million viewers, winning a 23% share - its equal worst ever - between 7.30pm and 8pm, compared with Emmerdale's 8.7 million and 43% share for that half-hour.

The soap's figure came close to its all-time low, which also happened at the hands of an hour-long Emmerdale special earlier this summer.

EastEnders' lowest audience was recorded on July 13 when 3.9 million watched against an hour-long Emmerdale special.

The London-set soap had already suffered a new all-time low of 5.2 million that week at the hands of its Yorkshire-based rival.

alan45
22-09-2006, 14:42
Hardly surprising. They had a good oppurtunity with the Billy/Honey baby story and after one excellent episode lost the plot completely. Hopefully the new producer will axe some of the dead wood and then start on the cast.

Katy
22-09-2006, 15:38
Emmerdale deserver that, It had me hooked. I flicked to Eastenders and i was so bored i decided to watch the adverts instead.

Chloe
22-09-2006, 17:30
I agree with you Cornetgal, I was thinking about swapping at 7:30, but got totally hooked ! A great episode, tears, laughter and great drama - a classic episode.

callummc
22-09-2006, 18:43
have to agree with everyone,emmerdale was like ee used to be,good storyline,well acted and well written,it showed ee up for the sad excuse for a soap that it has become

alkalinetrio
22-09-2006, 19:12
i really liked emmerdale last night must admit i switched to emmerdale! kane rules!!!! long live kane:D

Babe14
23-09-2006, 09:13
Emmerdale has excelled itself this week espec Thursday which was an absolutely brilliant episode. The Tom/Sadie Kidnap storyline has been fantastic with lots of drama and emotion. The acting has been superb with superb writng and scripting. This storyline will take a lot of beating and deserves a definite award.

Of course we have the "explosive" Eastenders kidnap storyline to look forward to this week.:rolleyes:

DaVeyWaVey
23-09-2006, 12:39
I am not surprised that Emmerdale beat Eastenders again on Thursday, i was away so i couldn't watch any of them but i taped Emmerdale over Eastenders and i am glad i did, i watched this morning and Emmerdale was absolutely superb, the Sadie/Tom kidnap was absolutely brilliant, twists and turns, plus it was so unpredictable...Emmerdale is definetly at its best so i am not surprised it beat Eastenders.

EE Rocks
24-09-2006, 13:27
What a suprise, another kidnap. I feel that Emmerdale is far too sensational these days, I mean is the dales really that bad:confused: ? It was obvious Emmerdale would win, but look at the ratings when Emmerdale dosent have anything big its EE who is ahead so emmerdale only win when they have something big going on. I watched Eastenders and proud, i watched Emmerdale yesterday was good nothing special though. Reading the spoilers its back to Andie/Katie/Jo/Perdy next week:rolleyes:

Richie_lecturer
24-09-2006, 15:36
I didn't know Emmerdale was on a Saturday on ITV1? :confused:

As for being sensational, I'd like to chain you in front of my TV EE Rocks and make you watch the 'realistic' Emmerdale Farm episodes which I have from years ago on video. Then tell me which one you prefer. :cool:

callummc
28-09-2006, 00:40
well here we go again,looking at next weeks telly book its gonna happen again next tuesday emmerdale are on 7 till 8,i bet ee are havin a panic attack at the thought of it

Chris_2k11
28-09-2006, 00:51
Oh, no now that's not on. I don't like the fact their just doing it for the fun of it now. Anyway what's the occasion?

Jessie Wallace
28-09-2006, 02:46
I didn't know Emmerdale was on a Saturday on ITV1? :confused:

As for being sensational, I'd like to chain you in front of my TV EE Rocks and make you watch the 'realistic' Emmerdale Farm episodes which I have from years ago on video. Then tell me which one you prefer. :cool:

Emmerdale farm was much better than the rubbish they call Emmerdale now days. It's all explosion after shooting after, if i wanted that out of a soap i'll tune into the Bill and proper dramas. Bring back Emmerdale Farm.

Siobhan
28-09-2006, 11:30
well here we go again,looking at next weeks telly book its gonna happen again next tuesday emmerdale are on 7 till 8,i bet ee are havin a panic attack at the thought of it

Sorry to say this but Emmerdale always go up against EE on there down weeks. It didn't go up against it this week during the Owen/Denise storyline.. It didn't go up against the Billy/Honey baby storyline. It went last week during snore vill Sean/ruby story which even Eldorado would have beaten it and next week there is no big storyline either

Don't get me wrong, Emmerdale is a good soap and EE are struggling but I would like to see Emmerdale and EE go up against each other when both have a strong storyline.. then it is a fair contest

Richie_lecturer
28-09-2006, 14:53
Emmerdale farm was much better than the rubbish they call Emmerdale now days. It's all explosion after shooting after, if i wanted that out of a soap i'll tune into the Bill and proper dramas. Bring back Emmerdale Farm.
Would anybody watch Emmerdale Farm today though? :confused: I think not.

Jessie Wallace
28-09-2006, 16:59
Would anybody watch Emmerdale Farm today though? :confused: I think not.

Yes i would, much better than that rubbish now.

Richie_lecturer
29-09-2006, 17:19
Well you might, and I would watch it too, but there wouldn't be many other viewers.

Jessie Wallace
29-09-2006, 18:37
Maybe not, but that's how i feel. Just like i'd like to have EastEnders like it was about 8 years ago, (no not the beginning). We all have different tastes, and it would be a very boring wiorld if we all liked the same.

EE Rocks
30-09-2006, 09:32
I just looked on another forum and on monday EE got 9.5 million to emmerdales 7.8 million. I thought it was on 9 million last week, what happened to some of the viewers. Some times you can tell some are not loyal and only watch for the explosions.:)

Richie_lecturer
03-10-2006, 11:52
Got some clips of Emmerdale Farm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeoRN6wJaVE Joe Sugden (Jack's brother, now deceased) with grandad, and Matt Skilbeck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECDsvOvGfHM&mode=related&search= From 1976, the Sugdens: Annie and Jack (this was the first Jack just prior to leaving, not the current Jack played by Clive Hornby).

Enjoy. :)

callummc
05-10-2006, 00:14
emmerdale won again last night but neither show had very good ratings,emmerdale had 7.2 but dropped to 6.6 when EE was on and EE got 6.5,

Babe14
05-10-2006, 08:47
I think we can safely assume that Tuesday was a very fair contest as I personally didn't think a lot happened in the hour long special of Emmerdale and neither soap was airing a big storyline. Although it was a very minor victory I am pleased that Emmerdale is still ahead in the head to heads.

alan45
05-10-2006, 10:48
I think we can safely assume that Tuesday was a very fair contest as I personally didn't think a lot happened in the hour long special of Emmerdale and neither soap was airing a big storyline. Although it was a very minor victory I am pleased that Emmerdale is still ahead in the head to heads. Just goes to show that even without a major storyline it still beats EE. I wonder what the beebs excuse will be. There were no explosions, car chases or anticipated deaths. Just two ordinary episodes shown back to back.

Siobhan
05-10-2006, 11:21
I don't the Beeb will say anything, it was pretty much even between the two, Emmerdale was only .1 ahead so fair contest.

alan45
05-10-2006, 13:09
I don't the Beeb will say anything, it was pretty much even between the two, Emmerdale was only .1 ahead so fair contest. Yes but its changed times now. It used to be that EE was only trying to beat Corrie with Emmerdale trailing the two of them in third place. Now EE struggles to beat Emmerdale when they go head to head. As said last nights was just two ordinary episodes. Imagine what it will be like if they go head to head later on in the year with some of the big storylines planned for the Dales. What have we to look forward to in the way of big stories on EE. The death of Pauline, return of Miss Piggy and/or the Return of the Chuckle Brothers. Who knows Den's return brought in the viewers so maybe a third resurrection is on the cards:rolleyes:

Babe14
06-10-2006, 08:28
Yes but its changed times now. It used to be that EE was only trying to beat Corrie with Emmerdale trailing the two of them in third place. Now EE struggles to beat Emmerdale when they go head to head. As said last nights was just two ordinary episodes. Imagine what it will be like if they go head to head later on in the year with some of the big storylines planned for the Dales. What have we to look forward to in the way of big stories on EE. The death of Pauline, return of Miss Piggy and/or the Return of the Chuckle Brothers. Who knows Den's return brought in the viewers so maybe a third resurrection is on the cards:rolleyes:

Personally I don't think that it's only Eastenders that have to worry about Emmerdale, I think that Corrie will have to watch their backs too. Although thinking about it I should imagine that the rivalary between Emmerdale/Corrie isn't as strong as Emmerdale/Eastenders because of them being part of the same Television Network, ITV, whereas Easties is a BBC programme, so we also have the battle of the TV Networks thrown into the equation here.

IMO although I found Tuesday's episodes a bit slow, but still good viewing, Emmerdale is still shining brillantly. For example Wednesday's Episode was back to it's high standard, with lots happening, we have baby Sarah, Tom struggling to cope in the aftermath of his kidnap ordeal, Jo still scheming, Toni/Del saga, The Kings trying to recover their financial losses, etc.along with plenty of emotion, comedy, anger and that was just in one episode!

Whereas Eastenders, there is nothing that special happening for me, even though we are building up to Jake's "Explosive" exit:rolleyes: and to be honest these days I just record and flick through.

Bryan
08-10-2006, 22:49
I've got to produce a newspaper for my A Level Media Studies coursework, one of the articles I'm including is about Emmerdale beating Eastenders in the ratings, here is the article, any feedback would be appreciated

Soap Ratings War:

Emmerdale Thrashes Eastenders!

Thursday’s hour long episode of Emmerdale has once more beaten BBC soap Eastenders in the ongoing war of soap ratings!

Last night’s hour long Emmerdale extravaganza saw an average of 8.3 million viewers tune in, a 43% audience share in its 7pm-8pm timeslot compared to Eastenders 4.5 million viewers, winning a 23% share, almost half of the viewers that tuned in to see the climax to the gripping King hostage storyline.

The Yorkshire based soap opera saw long-term characters Sadie King (Patsy Kensit) and Cain Dingle (Jeff Hordley) depart the show last night, with a shocking and sensational end to the dramatic hostage drama that saw Cain kidnap millionaire Tom King and lover Sadie and hold the pair at gunpoint.

This was compared to a rather dull episode of Eastenders that saw newly wed’s Billy (Perry Fenwick) & Honey (Emma Barton) Mitchell come to terms with the fact that newborn daughter Janet had Downes syndrome. Despite it’s emotionally moving action and well written scripts it is set to be a slow burner, and would explain why Eastenders lost out in ratings to ITV soap Emmerdale.

This comes after the hard hitting news that Eastenders faced back in July when it suffered its lowest ratings of all time, averaging just 3.9 million viewers when up against Emmerdale’s hour long episode that saw the Kings River show home explosion, which got 6.7 million in the same time slot.

Emmerdale has seen a steady accent in ratings over the past few years, as the quality of storylines, acting and writing has improved drastically. The show now often beats both Eastenders and its ITV rival Coronation Street in the fiercely contended soap ratings wars, a clear change from the days when it was regularly in third position. It’s hour long episodes almost always beat Eastenders in the ratings, and this is set to continue over the Winter with ITV planning more explosive hour long episodes to go head to head with Eastenders.

An Eastenders spokesman has described the figures as “very untypical, with the average audience per episode being 10 million.” The spokesman went to say that “"Eastenders is a show in good health which has had a strong year both critically and with audiences, and we have an “explosive” Winter planned"

Gone are the days when everyone watched Eastenders regularly and episodes drew in 30.1 million viewers. With this year seeing character assignations, recycled versions of age-old storylines and a bombardment of talentless and dry characters, the future looks bleak for the BBC’s flagship show….

callummc
09-10-2006, 00:54
that seems one good peice of coursework you have done,one which if written in the press would be informative without being bitchy and gloating which is the way the tabloids report the soap ratings

Babe14
09-10-2006, 09:31
Excellent and very professionally written BB. I agree with the above it would be a good press article, as it doesn't come across as back stabbing or bias. The article contains "Fact and Truth", not Lies and Fiction"

Jojo
09-10-2006, 09:34
Excellent piece of writing Bry! And very true aswell. EE will never be the same again or have the number of viewers it once had. I'm so "excited" to see their "explosive" Christmas storylines this year :D :rolleyes:

Babe14
09-10-2006, 09:35
Excellent piece of writing Bry! And very true aswell. EE will never be the same again or have the number of viewers it once had. I'm so "excited" to see their "explosive" Christmas storylines this year :D :rolleyes:

Not forgetting the "explosive" winter they have planned:rolleyes:

Jojo
09-10-2006, 09:40
Not forgetting the "explosive" winter they have planned:rolleyes: Exactly - so "explosive" I haven't watched for the past 3 months (after being an avid fan for the past 15 odd years, and won't be tuning in even for the "explosive" exits coming up :rolleyes: lol

alan45
09-10-2006, 09:43
I agree. Well wriiten precis of the ongoing battle. Written from an objective point of view and well thought out

Babe14
09-10-2006, 10:51
Exactly - so "explosive" I haven't watched for the past 3 months (after being an avid fan for the past 15 odd years, and won't be tuning in even for the "explosive" exits coming up :rolleyes: lol

I don't really watch it anymore, just the odd omnibus here and there. I will be watching the next two omnibus's because I want to see Jake's exit and then that will be it. (I'm an avid fan of 22 years!)

Jojo
09-10-2006, 14:52
I don't really watch it anymore, just the odd omnibus here and there. I will be watching the next two omnibus's because I want to see Jake's exit and then that will be it. (I'm an avid fan of 22 years!) Its a shame when avid and long time viewers like ourselves won't watch anymore. I used to love watching it, yet now, at 30, I'd rather watch paint dry to be honest (or is that a sign of my age :rotfl: )

alan45
09-10-2006, 15:05
Its a shame when avid and long time viewers like ourselves won't watch anymore. I used to love watching it, yet now, at 30, I'd rather watch paint dry to be honest (or is that a sign of my age :rotfl: ) No its a sign that you realise what total cack the show has now become. It was always fantastic viewing years ago until they dumbed it down to cater for a less discerning audience. If you are not interested in a semblance of realism, good storylines or continuity but prefer to watch a soap because the actor is fiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt then EE is the one to watch.

Jojo
09-10-2006, 15:25
No its a sign that you realise what total cack the show has now become. It was always fantastic viewing years ago until they dumbed it down to cater for a less discerning audience. If you are not interested in a semblance of realism, good storylines or continuity but prefer to watch a soap because the actor is fiiiiiiiiiitttttttttt then EE is the one to watch. Very true Alan, very true! Talking about realistic storylines - Spooks tonight :D :cheer:

Katy
09-10-2006, 16:18
thats a really good article i didnt read the bold bit at the top and i thought it was a newpaper article, so there you go shows how good the writing is.

Chris_2k11
09-10-2006, 20:14
Great article Bry.. really well written & true. Emmerdale is so much better most (if not all) the time these days. What's happened to our easties :crying:

Richie_lecturer
09-10-2006, 23:11
Easties just went down the toilet imo. Haven't watched regularly for over 6 months and when I do it's normally the same old rubbish, e.g. that hostage nonsense the other week. It's never recovered from Berridge taking over and I don't think it ever will. It's been over 4 years now and I gave up waiting after giving it so many chances to recover. I was watching a few old EE episodes the other day on youtube and on my VHS: stuff with the Osmans, Pauline & Pat etc, and the exquisite quality of the storylining, writing and acting then puts the present EE to shame. The show is a mere shadow of its former self from the 80s and the 90s/YTK.

BTW great article Bryan. Enjoyed reading it.

alan45
10-10-2006, 00:41
Yet another head to head on Tuesday. I wonder who will win:rolleyes:

Babe14
10-10-2006, 08:29
Easties of course:rotfl: I can't wait until the end of next week then I can kill the soap off permanently

I've noticed that they seem to be putting more head to heads on now and not showing an episode on either the Monday/Sunday. Maybe this is part of a new schedule plan by ITV?? Personally I think that there should be more hour long episodes of Emmerdale as I enjoy them even when the "softer" storylines are being aired and if I remember correctly I believe it will be one of these storylines which will be taking place during the head to head. One things for sure there will be no explosions, shootings, kidnappings as their is nothing big happening just yet, just normal good quality viewing etc..etc

alan45
11-10-2006, 14:39
From Media Guardian

Tuesdays viewing figures

Emmerdale 6.9m 33%
DeadEnders 6.4m 29%

And what was EE up against???? two very ordinary episodes of Emmerdale.:D

Siobhan
11-10-2006, 14:41
I will stick with EE.. I have no idea why.. I used to watch Emmerdale (farm) and corrie all the time and would even watch the omni on sunday but I haven't seen either of them in years and yet I can't let go of EE.. I will remain an EE fan

Nigella harman
11-10-2006, 16:03
From Media Guardian

Tuesdays viewing figures

Emmerdale 6.9m 33%
DeadEnders 6.4m 29%

And what was EE up against???? two very ordinary episodes of Emmerdale.:D It was 6.6m 31% on the head to head,:) It seems pointless this head to head business to me,all it does is inconvenience the viewers,Surely Emmerdale realise that people arent actually choosing which soap they prefer,but are simply watching the repeated episodes,therefore seeing both.

Jessica Watson
11-10-2006, 18:49
EastEnders did very well. It was only 1500 viewers behind EE during the head off.

Emmerdale Farm is quite boring so I'm not surprised people turned it off!

Perdy? :wall:

EE Rocks
11-10-2006, 18:53
I will stick with EE.. I have no idea why.. I used to watch Emmerdale (farm) and corrie all the time and would even watch the omni on sunday but I haven't seen either of them in years and yet I can't let go of EE.. I will remain an EE fan

I agree. I cant let go of EE. I will remain an EE fan too, i dont bother with Boring Dale these days, these hour long specials (if you can call them that, there soo often) put me off it even more. At the end of the day, it is just Boring- dale looking desperate. Eastenders did very well, and if there no mention in the papers (like there usually is) then it must be not that bad.

alan45
11-10-2006, 21:07
Well last month the excuse was because of Sadies death, the month before was the house explosion. The last two head to heads were just two ordinary episodes of Emmerdale shown back to back and still beat the BBC's so called flagship soap. The viewing figures tell the story. Emmerdale is the better soap. The viewing figures prove it.

Jessica Watson
11-10-2006, 21:11
Well last month the excuse was because of Sadies death, the month before was the house explosion. The last two head to heads were just two ordinary episodes of Emmerdale shown back to back and still beat the BBC's so called flagship soap. The viewing figures tell the story. Emmerdale is the better soap. The viewing figures prove it.

I don't think viewing figures prove anything because if that was the case why Can't Emmerdale beat EastEnders on a normal night with a normal episode in its own time slot?

The arguement you set up there falls flat tbh.

alan45
11-10-2006, 21:25
I don't think viewing figures prove anything because if that was the case why Can't Emmerdale beat EastEnders on a normal night with a normal episode in its own time slot?

The arguement you set up there falls flat tbh.

Probably because they are both on at different times so how can they beat each other.:confused: When they are shown head to head Emmerdale has the higher viewers so therefore it beats Eastenders FACT QED

Nigella harman
11-10-2006, 22:28
Probably because they are both on at different times so how can they beat each other.:confused: When they are shown head to head Emmerdale has the higher viewers so therefore it beats Eastenders FACT QED I do agree with Jessica,when they are head to head its pretty obvious its impossible to watch them at the same time so the viewer has to then juggle with the schedules to watch both,if you are already halfway into a show you are less likely to switch over when you can catch the other show at ten oclock or on sunday afternoon.It doesnt mean a show has beaten the other.Not so long back i remember a bbc 3 eastenders 10 oclock repeat getting almost 800,000 viewers!!!pretty good going,because viewers who enjoy both shows were asked to choose!they clearly didnt,just had to rearrange their evenings viewing to watch both.However,the viewers are asked to choose at awards ceremonies and i would personally count that as an indication of a soaps popularity.Quick edit,ive just seen something showing the eastenders repeats getting over a million viewers at times on the bbc 3 repeats at 10.

Jessica Watson
12-10-2006, 08:21
I do agree with Jessica,when they are head to head its pretty obvious its impossible to watch them at the same time so the viewer has to then juggle with the schedules to watch both,if you are already halfway into a show you are less likely to switch over when you can catch the other show at ten oclock or on sunday afternoon.It doesnt mean a show has beaten the other.Not so long back i remember a bbc 3 eastenders 10 oclock repeat getting almost 800,000 viewers!!!pretty good going,because viewers who enjoy both shows were asked to choose!they clearly didnt,just had to rearrange their evenings viewing to watch both.However,the viewers are asked to choose at awards ceremonies and i would personally count that as an indication of a soaps popularity.Quick edit,ive just seen something showing the eastenders repeats getting over a million viewers at times on the bbc 3 repeats at 10.

Totally well said.

Its bizzare some people cannot see it or maybe they do but don't like to ;)

Babe14
12-10-2006, 10:49
However,the viewers are asked to choose at awards ceremonies and i would personally count that as an indication of a soaps popularity.

Disagree as the awards are fast becoming a joke. They cater for yet again a "younger" audience as most of the nominations are of "Younger" Actors/Actresses or ones who don't add anything much to a programme. This is further proved by the people who actually get these awards and as far as I'm concerned the awards should be scrapped, I don't agree with them anyway.

With regards to this battle between the Soaps the plain and simple truth of the matter is We all have our favourites and the judgement is in the viewer alone who watches from their front room.

You all know by now which I prefer and my views on the two soaps, so I'm not going to repeat it all again. What I will say is I watch the omnibus of Eastenders from time to time these days and did so last week, I found the soap quite enjoyable. Mainly because I am particulary interested in the "Big" Exit Storyline they are running at the moment which was up against Emmerdale's two normal episodes on Tuesday. Out of the two Emmerdale has achieved the most over the years as it was once the underdog but is now a serious threat to it's rivals.

Richie_lecturer
12-10-2006, 11:29
Eastenders did very well, and if there no mention in the papers (like there usually is) then it must be not that bad.
There have only been one or two mentions of Emmerdale's victories in their many head2heads in the papers, so that contradicts what you said somewhat. :)

alan45
12-10-2006, 12:12
The simple FACT is that more people watched Emmerdale. Whether it is because it was better than EE or that the people were to lazy to turn over at half seven is irrelevant. More people watched Emmerdale between 7-30 and 8 pm than watched EE. I wonder what the excuse would be if both soaps started at the same time and Emmerdale won:rolleyes:

Siobhan
12-10-2006, 12:32
The simple FACT is that more people watched Emmerdale. Whether it is because it was better than EE or that the people were to lazy to turn over at half seven is irrelevant. More people watched Emmerdale between 7-30 and 8 pm than watched EE. I wonder what the excuse would be if both soaps started at the same time and Emmerdale won:rolleyes:

that won't happen Alan.. this was Emmerdale looks good as you said, it is beaten EE at that time regardless of the suitation and EE are constantly shovelling excuses to why they are been beaten.
I think Emerdale will with at 7.30 cause unlike EE it is not repeated later the same night.. so people can still watch both in the same day

Jessica Watson
12-10-2006, 13:23
I think Emerdale will with at 7.30 cause unlike EE it is not repeated later the same night.. so people can still watch both in the same day

I agree, this is a big factor in this but I reckon if both did do a real head2head with both starting at 7.30 EE would win hands down.

Emmerdale can only win EE if it starts before and overruns. Emmerdale isn't even that good at the moment anyway hence why it only beat EE with very little this week. Its been getting closer which means people are turning off Emmerdale not EE.

And reviews of Emmerdale have been dreadful. No one seems to like the Sinclaire family and the Kings are well past their sell by date. There's not one character who you could like in the dales.

Babe14
12-10-2006, 13:51
No one seems to like the Sinclaire family and the Kings are well past their sell by date. There's not one character who you could like in the dales.

The same could be said about Eastenders i.e Sean Slater who went well past his sell by date after the 3rd episode. :) As for the Sincalir family and Kings not being liked this is not true for every viewer i.e me I love both families.:) And there are a number of characters who are well liked in the Dales by other viewers and I'd say that most of the characters are liked in the Dales.:)

alan45
12-10-2006, 14:23
I agree, this is a big factor in this but I reckon if both did do a real head2head with both starting at 7.30 EE would win hands down..

This is only YOUR OPINION not fact.:rolleyes:

Emmerdale can only win EE if it starts before and overruns. Emmerdale isn't even that good at the moment anyway hence why it only beat EE with very little this week. Its been getting closer which means people are turning off Emmerdale not EE.

And reviews of Emmerdale have been dreadful. No one seems to like the Sinclaire family and the Kings are well past their sell by date. There's not one character who you could like in the dales. You may not like Emmerdale but plenty of people do. Again its only your opinion that its not been very good. I agree with Babe 14 and the vast majority of posters on here that Emmerdale has been superb and that the Sinclairs are a great addition to the show. Of course thats only my opinion and Im sorry you disagree with it

Siobhan
12-10-2006, 14:29
The same could be said about Eastenders i.e Sean Slater who went well past his sell by date after the 3rd episode. :) As for the Sincalir family and Kings not being liked this is not true for every viewer i.e me I love both families.:) And there are a number of characters who are well liked in the Dales by other viewers and I'd say that most of the characters are liked in the Dales.:)

The dingles have been in Emmerdale forever and I don't think you could ever say they were past their sell by date.. The kings have been an excellent replacement for the Tates...
Of course as i have said, I love my EE and would switch of Emmerdale for a cartoon but like Alan has said, it is a matter of opinion and I will not slag of a show I don't particular like unless is was so bad you can't help but take the piss (won't mention Crossroads or Eldorado hahaha)

Jessica Watson
12-10-2006, 14:45
it is a matter of opinion and I will not slag of a show I don't particular like unless is was so bad you can't help but take the piss (won't mention Crossroads or Eldorado hahaha)

Well Said Siobhan, Its a shame other people can't be so mature.

alan45
12-10-2006, 15:30
I will not slag of a show I don't particular like unless is was so bad you can't help but take the piss (won't mention Crossroads or Eldorado hahaha)

Me neither but then I feel EE falls into the Eldorado and Crossroads category:p

Siobhan
12-10-2006, 15:39
Me neither but then I feel EE falls into the Eldorado and Crossroads category:p

come on all there must be something about this show you like??? I know you are currently loving Emmerdale but I am not sure if you still watch EE.. if so why?

alan45
12-10-2006, 23:10
come on all there must be something about this show you like??? I know you are currently loving Emmerdale but I am not sure if you still watch EE.. if so why? I watch because I live in the vain hope it will get better. Next week Im painting a room so I can watch the paint dry it will be more entertaining

Babe14
13-10-2006, 07:42
The dingles have been in Emmerdale forever and I don't think you could ever say they were past their sell by date.. The kings have been an excellent replacement for the Tates...

I agree on both counts and I think that these two families work well together.

but like Alan has said, it is a matter of opinion and I will not slag of a show I don't particular like unless is was so bad you can't help but take the piss (won't mention Crossroads or Eldorado hahaha)

Exactly and neither would I. Inspite of my critism of Eastenders there is the odd week which I do enjoy, i.e last week and I will enjoy the next two, mainly for the reason already stated but I did enjoy other characters last week. There are some good new characters, Max/Tanya/Bradley whose storylines have been good (ones I have seen), but at the end of the day because of my "Disappointment" in the soap these days, I can't really be bothered with it anymore. (My personal opinion) I love my Emmerdale as you love your Eastenders:) It would be a boring world if we all agreed and liked the same soaps etc.

As for Crossroads and Eldorado, have to admit I quite enjoyed Eldorado :eek: and thoroughly enjoyed the orignal crossroads, but as for the new one yes I agree:lol:

Siobhan
13-10-2006, 09:06
I watch because I live in the vain hope it will get better. Next week Im painting a room so I can watch the paint dry it will be more entertaining

:rotfl::rotfl: judging by what I have read I will have to agree with you....

callummc
25-10-2006, 17:44
well it happened again last night emmerdale 7.4 with 35% and EE got 6.4 with 29%

alan45
25-10-2006, 18:01
well it happened again last night emmerdale 7.4 with 35% and EE got 6.4 with 29%

Stand by for the excuses:rolleyes: Emmerdale is far better at the moment although last nights episode was nothing special it much superior to the yawnfest on bbc1 with a bunch of sad characters that nobody really gives a hoot about. Maybe the new producer can turn around its flagging ratings. Who knows.
Who cares.

Mr Humphries
25-10-2006, 18:49
Well lets all sit and watch and give the new producer TIME because it's going to new a while before he can pick up the programme by the neck and sort it out.

TIME IS A GREAT HEALER

alan45
25-10-2006, 19:19
Well lets all sit and watch and give the new producer TIME because it's going to new a while before he can pick up the programme by the neck and sort it out.

TIME IS A GREAT HEALER Lets hope you're right this time Mr. H but in the past every new EE producer promises loads and delivers little. Its a bit like the Parson's Egg. They are left with the failed legacy of their predecessors storylines and rubbish characters. Still as you say give the bloke a chance:hmm:

Mr Humphries
25-10-2006, 19:38
I sincerely hope so because you get to a point when you all have to say enough is enough !

alan45
25-10-2006, 20:05
I sincerely hope so because you get to a point when you all have to say enough is enough ! Yes a lot of people have already got to that stage

Rovers Return
25-10-2006, 20:40
Dear me some people still living in the past :lweek:

EastEnders gets shown on BBC 3 and guess what the ratings for the BBC 3 repeat went though the roof.

The only people suffering here are Emmerdale as once the ITV soap bubble bursts and it will be soon as people are getting sick, ITV will be up the crack no end.

Mr Humphries
25-10-2006, 20:58
Dear me some people still living in the past :lweek:

EastEnders gets shown on BBC 3 and guess what the ratings for the BBC 3 repeat went though the roof.

The only people suffering here are Emmerdale as once the ITV soap bubble bursts and it will be soon as people are getting sick, ITV will be up the crack no end.

Ooo hello ! I new member, pleased too meet you. Or have we already meet you before somewhere ?

Rovers Return
25-10-2006, 21:02
Ooo hello ! I new member, pleased too meet you. Or have we already meet you before somewhere ?

No you haven't, I think I'd remember. However saying that you remind me of someone.

crazygirl
25-10-2006, 21:02
i find emmerdale so boring!!!!

Mr Humphries
25-10-2006, 21:05
Well done watch it then Crazygirl ! :rolleyes:

So Rovers, who do I remind you of then? :hmm:

EE Rocks
25-10-2006, 21:15
Well i dont see what the big deal is, it was obvious Emmerdale would win. Why, let me tell you because....

Advantage 1: They start half and hour earlier, of course they would win. It's like having a race with someone and one of you set off half an hour earlier and the other sets off half an hour later, now which one would win? Obviousbly the won that started half and hour first.

Advantage 2 - EE has a repeat on BBC3. Now people know they can catch up on EE on the same day at 10:00pm so its not that big a deal. Like Mediagurdian said, the BBC3 repeat got thousands of viewers last night making it the most multi watched channel last night. Now if BBC3 didnt show the repeat, people would not have a choice, it'd be or the other and imo it would be ever soo close.

alan45
25-10-2006, 21:25
Well i dont see what the big deal is, it was obvious Emmerdale would win. Why, let me tell you because....

Advantage 1: They start half and hour earlier, of course they would win. It's like having a race with someone and one of you set off half an hour earlier and the other sets off half an hour later, now which one would win? Obviousbly the won that started half and hour first.

Advantage 2 - EE has a repeat on BBC3. Now people know they can catch up on EE on the same day at 10:00pm so its not that big a deal. Like Mediagurdian said, the BBC3 repeat got thousands of viewers last night making it the most multi watched channel last night. Now if BBC3 didnt show the repeat, people would not have a choice, it'd be or the other and imo it would be ever soo close. You forgot to mention the OBVIOUS advantage and that is that Emmerdale is better written, better acted and better quality than Eastenders with its tired plots and poor scripts.

Emmerdale is repeated on ITV 2 so if people really wanted to watch EE they would watch it when it was on

Rovers Return
25-10-2006, 21:28
You forgot to mention the OBVIOUS advantage and that is that Emmerdale is better written, better acted and better quality than Eastenders with its tired plots and poor scripts.

Emmerdale is repeated on ITV 2 so if people really wanted to watch EE they would watch it when it was on

During the day when most people are at work. EastEnders gets a night time repeat..

I personnally think Emmerdale is pants at the moment with only one good thing = the wonderful Rosemerry.

alan45
25-10-2006, 21:30
During the day when most people are at work. EastEnders gets a night time repeat..

I personnally think Emmerdale is pants at the moment with only one good thing = the wonderful Rosemerry. Thats probably why video recorders and PVRs were invented.

alan45
27-10-2006, 14:57
Emmerdale and EE going head to head is nothing new.

Here is an interesting post which I read on DS.

Quotes from the '30th Anniversary' Emmerdale book;

1985 - 'Emmerdale farm was now shown in prime time early evening slots in all the ITV regions. It saw off a significant challenger - Eastenders, which started in February, and was put on at the 7pm, the same time that most areas of the country (but not London) showed Emmerdale Farm. In almost all parts of the country where the two soaps were going head-to-head Emmerdale farm was watched by more people. The BBC were forced to move their programme to 7.30pm!'

Now theres a surprise.

Siobhan
27-10-2006, 15:03

1985 - 'Emmerdale farm was now shown in prime time early evening slots in all the ITV regions. It saw off a significant challenger - Eastenders, which started in February, and was put on at the 7pm, the same time that most areas of the country (but not London) showed Emmerdale Farm. In almost all parts of the country where the two soaps were going head-to-head Emmerdale farm was watched by more people. The BBC were forced to move their programme to 7.30pm!'

Now theres a surprise.

Not really Alan.. EE was a new soap, it take a while before they kick off at which point Emmerdale Farm was already on for a few years.. After EE got into it's swing EF changed their name and had that very explosive Aeroplane crash episode which have viewers coming back in their thousands..

Now however, tables have turned again and yes while I do believe the Emmerdale maybe better than EE now and will win in head2head regardless of repeat etc etc.. i will still watch EE and I gave up watching Emmerdale when Kim left...

alan45
27-10-2006, 15:21
Not really Alan.. EE was a new soap, it take a while before they kick off at which point Emmerdale Farm was already on for a few years.. After EE got into it's swing EF changed their name and had that very explosive Aeroplane crash episode which have viewers coming back in their thousands..

Now however, tables have turned again and yes while I do believe the Emmerdale maybe better than EE now and will win in head2head regardless of repeat etc etc.. i will still watch EE and I gave up watching Emmerdale when Kim left...

I take your point but then way back then Eastenders was in my opinion far in front of Emmerdale Farm and I would never have missed an episode now its the other way about.

Siobhan
27-10-2006, 15:25
I take your point but then way back then Eastenders was in my opinion far in front of Emmerdale Farm and I would never have missed an episode now its the other way about.

yeah, I never watched EF when I was younger. Was totally addicted to Corrie and was so excited about EE.. Now, due to kids, work etc, I only watch H&W and EE... I can't back into Emmerdale or Corrie if I have not seen them for a while.. EE I just flow back into for some reason.. but that is just me.. I also stopped watching the Bill, which is a shame really, it is still excellent drama

Richie_lecturer
29-10-2006, 17:24

Now theres a surprise.
I'm sure I posted that on another board a few weeks ago. It's not a direct copy of what I wrote but argues the same thing. Just a coincidence I think, as this rarely gets brought up.

Mr Humphries
29-10-2006, 17:32
To be honest ! Is this really worth talking about ! There are pro's and con's on both sides lets just leave the issue alone!

Richie_lecturer
29-10-2006, 17:41
Oh I agree with that. It's not worth getting in a tizz over. :)

callummc
30-10-2006, 11:45
when the 2 soaps went against each other a few years ago when den framed phill ee wiped the floor with emmerdale but they did have a strong storyline whereas now the ee storylines are usually weak but emmerdales are getting stronger,can either soap improve without rehashing old storylines,i doubt it,and getting to a point where i think they should maybe call time on enders while their still up there,and create a new soap,that would really get us talking

Mr Humphries
30-10-2006, 12:04
when the 2 soaps went against each other a few years ago when den framed phill ee wiped the floor with emmerdale but they did have a strong storyline whereas now the ee storylines are usually weak but emmerdales are getting stronger,can either soap improve without rehashing old storylines,i doubt it,and getting to a point where i think they should maybe call time on enders while their still up there,and create a new soap,that would really get us talking

Whats needs to happen is EE get a reality check and think hang on what have we done.

1) We spend time on make the public believe that Dirty Den was not dead to just kill him of over a (personal mistake) a year later

2) We made a joke of the legal system by allowing an escaped prison (Phil Mitchell) and a wanted crime (Grant Mitchell) just to walk back into the square as if nothing happened.

3) To kill two gangster figures within a year (Johnny Allen & Andy Hunter) for no good reason

4) To show a death, and not let two figures walk out without a proper death scene, such as Johnny Allen or Jake Moon, or even then buring Den's body!

5) They denied us the right to see the ultimate clash in Den Watts and Peggy Mitchell and also, the ultimate Mitchell's versus Andy Hunter!

6) People such as Sam Mitchell and Zoe Slater are not just forgotten because they where an accessory to Murder!

7) Why can't Pauline just be written out? Why does she have to die?

8) Sharon could not in the really world just transfer the deeds to The Queen Victoria like that!

9) How does Albert Square Market make any money, no one would travel to get Martin's Fruit and Veg! When can you say ever saw a fruit and veg stall other than in a central place where there are thousands of people. How can he make money ?

10) Why don't people have washing machines ? How could you let people such as Pauline and Dot was your underpants etc/... for all those years ?

11) If The Queen Vic was owned by a brewery, they would not just let people like The Mitchells or The Watts, take it over every other year, they would also decorate it, and update it.

alan45
30-10-2006, 13:31
Whats needs to happen is EE get a reality check and think hang on what have we done.

1) We spend time on make the public believe that Dirty Den was not dead to just kill him of over a (personal mistake) a year later

2) We made a joke of the legal system by allowing an escaped prison (Phil Mitchell) and a wanted crime (Grant Mitchell) just to walk back into the square as if nothing happened.

3) To kill two gangster figures within a year (Johnny Allen & Andy Hunter) for no good reason

4) To show a death, and not let two figures walk out without a proper death scene, such as Johnny Allen or Jake Moon, or even then buring Den's body!

5) They denied us the right to see the ultimate clash in Den Watts and Peggy Mitchell and also, the ultimate Mitchell's versus Andy Hunter!

6) People such as Sam Mitchell and Zoe Slater are not just forgotten because they where an accessory to Murder!

7) Why can't Pauline just be written out? Why does she have to die?

8) Sharon could not in the really world just transfer the deeds to The Queen Victoria like that!

9) How does Albert Square Market make any money, no one would travel to get Martin's Fruit and Veg! When can you say ever saw a fruit and veg stall other than in a central place where there are thousands of people. How can he make money ?

10) Why don't people have washing machines ? How could you let people such as Pauline and Dot was your underpants etc/... for all those years ?

11) If The Queen Vic was owned by a brewery, they would not just let people like The Mitchells or The Watts, take it over every other year, they would also decorate it, and update it.

1. It was a huge mistake to bring him back. The storyline was totally unbleivable.

2. EE regularly makes a mockery of the legal system. Remember Barrys death and with the return of the beetroot we are expected to believe that a two bit gangster like him can bribe witnesses, policemen and the CPS

3. Killing off Johnny Allen was unforgivable. At least he used to be scary unlike the pantomime gangster that was Andy Pandy Hunter

6 Yet another black hole in the scripting

7. Because she must have a Sensational and Explosive exit:rolleyes:

8. Walford is not the real world. In the real world not just anyone can own a pub

9. Pass

10. Another of life's mysteries. The amount of money they spend on Service Washes over the years would have bought twenty washing machines.

11. I thought The Queen Vic was a Free House:confused:

Very good and valid points Mr H.

IMO EE suffers from the fact that the writer is changed every few episodes so its bound to lose a bit of continuity. Each writers perception of the characters is different.

Mr Humphries
30-10-2006, 13:41
1. It was a huge mistake to bring him back. The storyline was totally unbleivable.

2. EE regularly makes a mockery of the legal system. Remember Barrys death and with the return of the beetroot we are expected to believe that a two bit gangster like him can bribe witnesses, policemen and the CPS

3. Killing off Johnny Allen was unforgivable. At least he used to be scary unlike the pantomime gangster that was Andy Pandy Hunter

6 Yet another black hole in the scripting

7. Because she must have a Sensational and Explosive exit:rolleyes:

8. Walford is not the real world. In the real world not just anyone can own a pub

9. Pass

10. Another of life's mysteries. The amount of money they spend on Service Washes over the years would have bought twenty washing machines.

11. I thought The Queen Vic was a Free House:confused:

Very good and valid points Mr H.

IMO EE suffers from the fact that the writer is changed every few episodes so its bound to lose a bit of continuity. Each writers perception of the characters is different.

11. Even if The Queen Vic was a Freehouse, they still would not have to run decisions pass a brewery, like the Rovers in Corrie, secondly, considering I own pubs and 2 of which are Freehouses, no one in the right mind would just sign over the deeds, you would be talking at least half a million for the Queen Vic if it was real, if not more.

2. I really can't understand how TV programmes are aloud to take the **ss out of the law like this ! It is a joke

callummc
04-02-2007, 16:00
well its happened again this week,after enders winning the christmas time head to head enders probably thought their luck was changing,but no this week emmerdale won in a head to head again

DaVeyWaVey
04-02-2007, 18:31
Yes that's correct, Eastenders lost to Emmerdale yet again last Thursday. Here are the ratings:

Emmerdale- 7.9m (36%)
Eastenders- 6.5m (29%)

Abbie
04-02-2007, 23:39
Maybe its cos of thw who killed Tom king, but thats going very slowly

alan45
04-02-2007, 23:47
Maybe its cos of thw who killed Tom king, but thats going very slowly
More likely its because Emmerdale is better acted, better scripted and more enjoyable.

sarah21
05-02-2007, 11:06
Maybe it is the same old story. Emmerdale started at 7, made sure that at 7.28 there was something going on and people stayed with Emmerdale and taped EastEnders. Emmerdale is not beating EastEnders and when all the viewing numbers are in, EastEnders will be well above Emmerdale. As usual.

callummc
07-02-2007, 00:26
i'm afraid to say that people videoing and the omnibus are taken into account,ee is getting worse year on year a nd emmerdale are improving year on year,and if the rumours are true about 2 of the best charectors leaving,well ee will end up losing out to emmerdale without even going head to head,then the bbc will swing the axe and put us all out of our misery

alan45
07-02-2007, 06:43
Maybe it is the same old story. Emmerdale started at 7, made sure that at 7.28 there was something going on and people stayed with Emmerdale and taped EastEnders. Emmerdale is not beating EastEnders and when all the viewing numbers are in, EastEnders will be well above Emmerdale. As usual.
The same old tired excuses come up all the time. Emmerdale beats EE in the head to heads because quite simply it is far superior to the tosh that is EE. If I was a EE fanatic I woukd watch it and tape Emmerdale. But as you said yourself Emmerdale had something going on which encouraged people to keep tuned to it whereas people couldnt give two flying figs for EE which they knew would just be the same old nonsense.

Accept reality/ Emmerdale will ALWATS beat EE because people emjoy it more. Its not really that difficult of a concept to grasp