View Full Version : The Right Choice?

Jessie Wallace
04-07-2006, 22:53
Have they made the right choice with the new Dr.Who companion
Freema Agyeman?
(Don't forget to give your reasons!)

Abi
04-07-2006, 23:00
I think its too soon to tell, as she has both positives and negatives, and no one knows anything about her charcter yet.

She is a good age to do it, so hopefully it wont be so aimed at kiddy stories next series. She'll refresh the show, and wont just be another Rose Tyler, because shes completly different. She seemed quite good at acting, especially on the close ups just before the Cybermen in Army of Ghosts. She was wooden on a few lines, but not many actors/actresses can do convincing close-ups with good facial impressions, and really, she didn't do that badly. Also, her and David Tennant have already worked together on Cassanova, so hopefully they'll have the same chemestry on this as well.

I know she wasn't the greatest character last week that we've ever seen, but come on, the charcter was hardly up to much either. And she could only work with what she was given, at the end of the day. As a companion, she should have a lot more to work with, so she could show a great improvement.

Of course, it would have been better to have a really well-known actress doing it, but she doesn't sound like an awfull choice, just a bit odd. Especially seeing as shes already played Adoela. But we wont know untill series 3 airs, i suppose!

Jojo
04-07-2006, 23:04
Lets face it - she hasn't been in it as his companion yet. And when Billie Piper first signed up, everyone was saying what an awful choice had been made and that she wasn't an actress etc.

i think we should give her a chance in her role as the new assistant before passing judgment. I (still) haven't watched Saturdays episode yet, but surely a new assistant role is going to be completely different to playing the role of someone who is killed by the cybermen :searchme:

Abi
04-07-2006, 23:09
Lets face it - she hasn't been in it as his companion yet. And when Billie Piper first signed up, everyone was saying what an awful choice had been made and that she wasn't an actress etc.

Exactly. When we found out Billie Piper had the part, not one person would've expected her to be the success she has proved to be, i bet.

And lets face it. Billie Piper has done a fantastic job, that whoever took over from her, everyone was bound to hate to start with. But i dont think we should judge her so quickly, especially seeing as we dont know anything about her charcter.

CrazyLea
04-07-2006, 23:13
Well I think it could be a bad choice. But like Abbey and Ems said, it is kind of too soon to tell, so I will wait til I see her to make my overall decision. But her acting didn't seem all that brilliant Saturday, although we didn't really see her much, and like Ems said, it's a completely different role, so I will definately wait..

Jojo
04-07-2006, 23:16
Exactly. When we found out Billie Piper had the part, not one person would've expected her to be the success she has proved to be, i bet.

And lets face it. Billie Piper has done a fantastic job, that whoever took over from her, everyone was bound to hate to start with. But i dont think we should judge her so quickly, especially seeing as we dont know anything about her charcter. And she isn't going to appear until the third series - not even in the Xmas special because of the "surprise" they have lined up for us (Rose making a reappearance??) Hats off to Billie, she played a huge part in bringing Dr Who back into everyones lives after the mistakes they made with Paul McGann etc. But we can't shoot the new girl down in flames till we have really seen what she is capable of and in her new character - not the one previously seen. Lets face it - this time next year, we could all be saying how brilliant she is and how we arent missing Rose at all.... :D

jo3520
05-07-2006, 15:48
Although I was with the whole idea of her being the new compainion before,Im not to sure now! I dont know if I would of prefered someone more like billie as she was funny and great at times! I have a feeling that this new companion may be boring! :thumbsdow

Abi
05-07-2006, 17:05
But you can't really tell if shes going to be as funny as Billie, because that goes down to whatever the character is like. The person she played on Saturday wasn't meant to be funny, so she acme across badly. As a companion, shes bound to be more entertaining. And lets not forget that this is RTD who writes scripts, edits other peoples scripts, and is the exec producer- so he's bound to wrote them in a similar way, really.

jo3520
05-07-2006, 17:09
But you can't really tell if shes going to be as funny as Billie, because that goes down to whatever the character is like. The person she played on Saturday wasn't meant to be funny, so she acme across badly. As a companion, shes bound to be more entertaining. And lets not forget that this is RTD who writes scripts, edits other peoples scripts, and is the exec producer- so he's bound to wrote them in a similar way, really.

Yea suppose your right! Shes really preety tho isnt she! lol

Layne
05-07-2006, 19:20
I think its too early to say, and you guys have already listed all the reasons and everything.

DaVeyWaVey
08-07-2006, 23:23
It is too early to tell what she will be like as the Doctor's new companion i think, but i certainly know she will have a tough act to follow after Billie Piper's performance as the Doctor's companion.

I think that the Doctor's new companion will be very different to Rose (well i hope she is)

She seemed ok in last week's episode though, but hopefully she will be even better when she joins the show next series!

Chloe O'brien
08-07-2006, 23:31
I think its too soon to tell although she was pretty dreadful last week. If she is to be successful she is going to have a tough act to follow after billie's performance over the last two years. When Christopher ecclestone left I wasn't too keen on david tennant taking over but I have to admit he has filled the role superbly so may be the new assistant will shock us all

chuckster
10-07-2006, 21:43
I just dont want the doctor to get over rose really quickly and start likin the new girl coz i liked what he had with rose :-(

Pixie
10-07-2006, 22:40
I think its too soon to tell. Sahem Rose had to leave really! Good that the docotrs got a new companion but agree with Chuckster that hope he don't get over Rose too quickly

jo3520
11-07-2006, 16:12
I just dont want the doctor to get over rose really quickly and start likin the new girl coz i liked what he had with rose :-(

Yh I know! I thought they were perfect for each other! Why did she have to go?? :crying: