PDA

View Full Version : Terror Attacks in London - One Year On

Jojo
03-07-2006, 12:45
Its coming up to the first anniversary of the terrorist attacks in London, so firstly, my thoughts are with all of those people that lost friends and family during and because of the bombings.

Do you think our attitudes to terrorism here has changed at all - vigilance etc, or do you carry on day to day like you always did. With all of the different raids that have been going on recently, do you think our intelligence services have got there information wrong or are you pleased to see them being proactive.

Because I live so far down in the South West, I can't really say that I've changed that much - I carry on day to day like I always did before. But I don't know how I would feel if I lived nearer or used the tube to get to work etc each day.

Katy
03-07-2006, 13:04
i dont know really. It was recently the 10th aniversary of the Manchester bomb as well, which isnt the same as no one died but it was still an act of terrorism.

My attitudes personally have not changed io know when i was in London for the day i was a little wary of the tube, but in Manchester i still carry on as normal. It really doesnt feel like almost a year.

di marco
03-07-2006, 13:29
my attitudes towards day to day life havent really changed, my dad still uses the tube everyday to get to work and im not worried when i use them either, but i do know people who are now scared of going on them

Katy
03-07-2006, 13:31
Im more scared of being mugged or getting myself into a fight. not if a terrorist is going to Bomb the Arndale or the tube. I think it effects people in different ways.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
03-07-2006, 13:38
My thought have really changed.. Dad usually goes to work with his friend/driver and today he's going to go on a train for 4 hours and I'm really worried. My dad's worried to but he's going with a mate so he's alright a bit. It's so upsetting and my thoughts are with all of those people that lost friends and family :(

Also my dad where he works was really close to one of the attacks so you know.. I worry..

diamond1
03-07-2006, 13:51
I take everyday as it comes i never worry, I lived in london on 7/7 everything was scary for alot of people but i moved away shortly after I miss london in it self I dont miss my old area

If I went abck nothing would of changed the goverment simply dont care about us.

they promised a stricter law on knifes 5 years ago to my old council-only recenlty has it happened its a joke,no doubt theres going to be more and more terroist attacks.

they havent really secured the underground that much more- they shot someone thats it....I dont catch the tube because Im scared ill see someone end up like the poor sod who got shot....millions of tax payers money to get shot in the head!

Abi
03-07-2006, 14:04
I dont think its really changed my attitudes that much, because i still use the Underground quite a lot to get into Central London. I guess its just made everyone more aware of keeping an eye out for dodgy buisness, and keeping yourself to yourself. I'm not worried about using the tube, although at the time it did, as i had to use it only a few hours after they re-opened the network. I've noticed the difference though... people are more wary of sitting next to other people, and of people with suitcases etc. But i dont think that will ever change, and really, it was pretty much the same before th attacks anyways!

Tori
03-07-2006, 16:28
i've not changed all that much, as now in manchester there are more police around in general than a year ago, so that makes me feel safer. like Katy said about the Manchester bomb, it doesn't bother me, i don't go into manchester and worry that someone will blow the arndale up, because of more police. when i do go to london, i will be more wary of people, as i haven't been since 7/7. when i was in Paris on the metro, i did feel threatened in the way that it was really crowded and stuff, so it'll be the same in London, but i think you can get over that.

dddMac1
06-07-2006, 12:04
i can't believe it's been a year already

Meh
06-07-2006, 12:38
All that has happened since the last year is that our civil liberties have started to erode under the new legislation that Blair is determinded to shove down our throats. Personally, my attitude is live and let live, so I refuse to be intimidated by this governments tactics of keeping people living under a cloud of fear. How soon before we go down the path of McCarthyism? I think the witch hunt has already begun.

Cornishbabe
06-07-2006, 13:59
well living a million miles from nowhere I dont really have to worry about terrorism here..(unless someone decides to blow up the eden project):hmm:
anyway.... So it hasnt really affected how I live. But It has made me slightly more concerned about going to london. I want to travel ther but i dont really want to travel in there. so kinda

Katy
06-07-2006, 15:40
Is there going to be a two minuite silence tomorrow. I think there ought to be one.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
06-07-2006, 18:07
There's a story on the BBC site that a video of the 7th July bomber is realeased and it says that..

He says on the video: "What you have witnessed now is only the beginning of a string of attacks that will continue and become stronger."

Which makes me worried :( but..

Police said the release of the video on the eve of the bombings' anniversary was designed to cause "maximum hurt".

Tori
06-07-2006, 18:35
some people are saying that it's bits all put together to cause maximum effect

di marco
06-07-2006, 20:11
Is there going to be a two minuite silence tomorrow. I think there ought to be one.

yep its going to be at 12 midday

di marco
06-07-2006, 20:16
I dont think its really changed my attitudes that much, because i still use the Underground quite a lot to get into Central London. I guess its just made everyone more aware of keeping an eye out for dodgy buisness, and keeping yourself to yourself. I'm not worried about using the tube, although at the time it did, as i had to use it only a few hours after they re-opened the network. I've noticed the difference though... people are more wary of sitting next to other people, and of people with suitcases etc. But i dont think that will ever change, and really, it was pretty much the same before th attacks anyways!

i agree abi, i still use the underground and dont really think about not using it, ive never thought oh maybe ill get the bus or maybe ill walk or something instead, but i do look to see the other people in the carriage when i get on and bags and stuff, i still get on the tube so i know looking wont make the slightest bit of different when im actually on there but i do it anyway. but youre right when you say people did it before the attacks, i used to do it anyway, look for bags and stuff, i do it on planes and buses as well, have done for as long as i can remember, but i think its just more of being wary and knowing the surroundings rather than a fear or being scared of actually going on them, well for me anyway

Behemoth
06-07-2006, 20:23
I still remember watching the news when this had happened and I couldn't get my head around it. Even the reporters didn't seem to know what to say.

R.I.P. everyone who died on that day.

di marco
06-07-2006, 20:28
I still remember watching the news when this had happened and I couldn't get my head around it. Even the reporters didn't seem to know what to say.

i remember as well, we heard at a lesson in school, someone who was off ill text someone in my class, we didnt really know what was going on, and we looked on the bbc news site to find out and we didnt know what to say

chance
06-07-2006, 22:49
I personally wouldnt go on the tube after what happened last year id be scared witless,it would be interesting to know how quiet it is down there tomorrow,whether people will find a different way to get to work or call in sick.I hate going on trains after that paddington rail crash and that was a accident not terroism.
Rest in peace all those people who died this time last year.

alkalinetrio
07-07-2006, 00:16
nah hasnt changed way i go about things! ill never let anyone make me fear anything, if i die i die no point worrying about it

Pixie
07-07-2006, 00:54
I havent been on the tube since it happened but thats more because i've only been travelling small distances so walked instead. I've never really liked the tube anyway. It hasnt put me off London its self though. I was actually travelling through London on the day of the bombs in the evening on the Euro Star. It was a bit scary as Waterloo was the only station running and it was only really open for our train (the one before had been cancelled) so it was really eary and we kept seeing armed police everywhere. I now figure that if i travelled through London the day it happened ok then it shouldnt put me off london in other times.

Plus if we let it change our attitudes too much then the terrorists have won!!!