PDA

View Full Version : Children's books

no1abbafan
24-05-2006, 18:04
My 8 year old is desperate to read the Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot, they have them on offer in my book club but they are rated 10+ has anybody's child/sibling or even them selves read these books and if so are they suitable for an 8 year old - its hard to guage from the blurb - she reads Jacqueline Wilson and is currently reading "An unfortunate series of events" - thanks

.:SpIcYsPy:.
24-05-2006, 18:06
This needs to be in the Arts forum: :)

http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114

Erm, I usually read books which are over rated. I don't think there's any age limit for books really. It's just what they suggest :)

Kim
24-05-2006, 18:14
I thought the book ratings were in place so that a child would be reading a book that is suitable for someone of average ability at that age?

pookie1968uk
24-05-2006, 18:38
i think they are for girls who are a bit older. my daughter reads them now and shes nearly twelve. they are more for young teens really.

no1abbafan
24-05-2006, 19:46
Thanks Pookie1968uk, thats all I needed to know.

samantha nixon
24-05-2006, 21:20
if your daughter is a good reader they should be fine for her as ive read the first one and it doesnt have any stuff an 8 year old shouldnt read about well not the i can remember anyway
has she seen the film?

Londoner
25-05-2006, 10:15
My daughter has read this book and as the people have posted, i think the age on the books is more of a guide, if she is reading books for ten year olds already then it will be fine.

Hope that helps!:cheer:

Also my daughter has the film and i've seen it, and there is nothing in there that an 8 year old should not see, i seen far worse things in Doctor Who & Eastenders! and thats family entertainment!

Chloe O'brien
25-05-2006, 10:21
My seven year old enjoys reading the "Horrid Henry" books and " Tracey Beaker". She can read them without any problems. If you have concerns about the princess diaries perhaps you could read it along with her but I think its listed as 10+ is probably due to the reading level and not just the content but all kids are different and some are more comfortable readers than others

dddMac1
25-05-2006, 12:20
not sure it there is a age limit for the books

Behemoth
25-05-2006, 14:38
Moving to 'Arts' forum..... :)

Katy
25-05-2006, 16:43
i think ages on books is more how complecated they are, thats what they were like when i read 10+ books. Like everyone has said theres nothing unsuitable and in my opinion are simular to jaqueline Wilson. (all time favourite author.)

no1abbafan
26-05-2006, 09:15
Thanks for the advice - had a look at one in my local bookshop, and the 1st line on first page (diary entry) where she is hoping her algebra teacher who has been on a date the night before with her mum, hasn't put his tongue into her mums mouth:confused: - so I think I will give them a miss for another couple of months - not ready to go down the explanation route of that just yet. :hmm: