PDA

View Full Version : Jake Moon Quits

alan45
07-05-2006, 08:27
From today's Sunday Mirror

EastEnders Shock as Jake quits show

EASTENDERS heart-throb Joel Beckett is quitting the show. :cheer: Joel, who plays Jake Moon, made his shock announcement to TV bosses last week.

BBC executives have now decided to make his departure one of the most "explosive" :rolleyes: storylines of the year. But his character will NOT be killed off, leaving the door open for a return some time in the future.

Last night Joel, 29, said: "I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in the show. It's been a great experience, one which I'll never forget. However, I now feel that it is the right time to move on and further my career."

EastEnders executive producer Kate Harwood added: "Joel has been a great asset to the show. :rolleyes:

"We are planning an explosive exit for his character and we wish him the best of luck for the future."

A TV insider added: "It's a bad loss for the show because Joel had proved himself a real hit with viewers. :lol:

"He's a handsome man and female viewers adored him, while blokes don't regard him as too girlie." :moonie:

Joel first found fame playing Dawn's boyfriend Lee in award-winnning Ricky Gervais comedy The Office.

He joined EastEnders in 2004 - then bizarrely was fired a few months later. But when executive producer Kathleen Hutchinson left, it was decided that Joel should stay in the show.

At the time, he admitted: "Being called in and told you are not going to carry on is not nice.

"But we got lots of letters of support - people were wondering what was going on and I'm not going to lie and say I didn't agree with them."

Since then he has become one of the show's heart-throbs, :rolleyes: and his character has been at the centre of some of the most dramatic storylines.

Jake - Alfie Moon's cousin - fell in love with Den's widow Chrissie Watts and helped plot her ultimately doomed bid to leave the country. In recent weeks, he was even forced to kill his own brother Danny (Jake Maskall) - and saved Grant Mitchell's life.

Off-screen Joel briefly dated Jessie Wallace, who played Kat Slater :cartman: in the series, at the end of last year.

Tannie
07-05-2006, 08:40
nooooooooooooooooooooooo as you can see i'm a big fan of him. That means no More Jakey:crying:

Jessie Wallace
07-05-2006, 09:13
Please, please, please let this be true.

i_luv_dennis
07-05-2006, 09:39
no he cant leave lol all the fit guys are going

eastenders mad
07-05-2006, 10:09
everyone is leaving eastenders do they all hate working in eastenders

Layne
07-05-2006, 10:17
Although i don't want him to go, i knew this was going to happen, i mean i knew he would either quit or get axed (once again :rolleyes: ) its the usual 'we've felt we have taked this character as far as we can' crap, i am disappointed, i think joel is great and Jake is a great character, but it was always gonna happen! Good luck to him though

Rach33
07-05-2006, 10:17
Well that's it what other reason do I have to watch Eastenders now I will have to pick a new fave show

BlackKat
07-05-2006, 10:24
Posted my response in the Jake thread, but yeah, very disappointed but not surprised. Like I said there, they refuse to do anything with him apart from shove him into the background so what can you do.

alan45
07-05-2006, 11:56
Please, please, please let this be true.They should never have brought him back. I suppose he will be like all the others. He will go to try new projects only to discover his obvious limitations and return to EE in a SENSATIONAL :rolleyes: storyline

Cornishbabe
07-05-2006, 12:01
on a positive at least they are leaving the door open for him to return

Kim
07-05-2006, 12:02
If that doesn't teach the writers to think up some constant half decent storylines I don't know what will!

Jada-GDR
07-05-2006, 12:16
as you can see i'm a big fan of himare you? od, i'd never noticed

lol i'm so funny NOT and I DONT WANT JAYKEEE TO LEAVE :crying:

Bree
07-05-2006, 12:20
awwww jake cant leave :( no good luck to joel i knew it was gonna happen some time but i will miss him joel is a great actor :)

di marco
07-05-2006, 12:25
jake was good to start with, but now theres not much left for him to do, so im not that bothered that hes leaving

DaVeyWaVey
07-05-2006, 13:49
He was a good character but i felt he was a bit wasted, he just seems like a spare part in the Square now so i am glad he's going. Atleast he will be going out on a high, i wonder what his explosive storyline will be??? :)

alan45
07-05-2006, 13:57
i wonder what his explosive storyline will be??? :)

Probably another daft Gangster storyline involving the chuckle brothers :rolleyes:

Rach33
07-05-2006, 13:59
on a positive at least they are leaving the door open for him to return

Funny they said that with Nigel Harman look what happened there :angry:

littlemo
07-05-2006, 14:42
jake was good to start with, but now theres not much left for him to do, so im not that bothered that hes leaving

Me neither. I like his character but there's not much for him to do (well the writers aren't giving him anything to do).

It would be good if he came back when Alfie did (if he does come back). It'd be nice to recreate the Moon family again at some point.

Chris_2k11
07-05-2006, 14:47
Great news. He bores me to tears!

Chloe O'brien
07-05-2006, 15:28
OMG how will I cope without my little jakeee :p As for him saying that there is nothing left for him to do in EE is a pile of crap, if the writers wanted him to stay they would come come up with some decent storylines for him. They can manage it for dot, pauline and Ian and other characters that have been in the show

crazygirl
07-05-2006, 15:33
I'm really surprised to hear this has i thought he would be in eastenders for a long time!
i'm glad there not killing him off though

alan45
07-05-2006, 15:34
EE is a pile of crap, if the writers wanted him to stay they would come come up with some decent storylines for him. They can manage it for dot, pauline and Ian and other characters that have been in the showThe writers are too obsessed with the Magnificent Mitchells :rolleyes: and the latest return of Miss Piggy :sick: to concentrate their efforts on creating realistic storyline for any other characaters

Emmak2005
07-05-2006, 18:55
From today's Sunday Mirror

EastEnders Shock as Jake quits show

EASTENDERS heart-throb Joel Beckett is quitting the show. :cheer: Joel, who plays Jake Moon, made his shock announcement to TV bosses last week.

BBC executives have now decided to make his departure one of the most "explosive" :rolleyes: storylines of the year. But his character will NOT be killed off, leaving the door open for a return some time in the future.

Ah, yes I read a similar sort of story too and was just going to post a thread on it, but you beat me too it. Every time I see articles like this on ds I go to post it and someones already posted it hours earlier, lol. I guess because most come out of newspapers. Anyone here was what I was going to put.

EastEnders star Joel Beckett has decided to quit the show.

The actor, who plays Jake Moon, will leave the soap as part of an explosive storyline later this year - however the door will be left open for a return in the future.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in the show," Beckett told the Sunday Mirror. "It's been a great experience, one which I'll never forget. However, I now feel that it is the right time to move on and further my career."

"Joel has been a great asset to the show," executive producer Kate Harwood added. "We are planning an explosive exit for his character and we wish him the best of luck for the future."

I think now or whenever he leaves this year is a good time to go after all the stories he's had since he joined the show a little over a year and a half. I guess it'll mean Jake either ends up in prison following the police discovering Danny's buried body in the woods. Which they still haven't mentioned. So I expect it'll be a little while longer till he gets found out. If that's not the case then the only other obvious possibility is he does a runner from Albert Square entirely and cuts off all his ties to Walford.

Perhaps he can come back when Alfie does in a couple of years time. Then at least he'd have reason to come back and surely he cannot live with the guilt forever and he will eventually crack under pressure if he hangs around 'The Square' much longer

Florijo
07-05-2006, 20:25
Personally I'm not bothered he is leaving but I feel for the Jake fans as it's not nice when your favourite leaves.

diamond1
07-05-2006, 20:37
i did write what i thought about it on the jake thread,

in all fairness no one can be surprised to hear the news here they hardly have him on the show now days im just annoyed another character i like is going.

i thought jake was cool but i also thought dennis was great not forgetting alfie and kat and i know through reading comments on other threads that not everyone liked these all characters (mainly through 'wooden' acting or whatever) but i did like them and i thought they all brought something to the show (insert joke here critics) and now all of them are gone/going.

there was a point where i would enjoy the program ive grown up watching but im really at the point now where i dont care about it at all anymore theres no characters that i feel bring anything to the show apart from the mitchells but there just a quick fix for ratings in all fairness they will get stale if not so already so its a pain in the ass to hear this news

Richie_lecturer
07-05-2006, 21:18
It's back to Office work for him. :nono:

Chloe O'brien
08-05-2006, 15:45
It's back to Office work for him. :nono:

now don't be so pesamistic richie he can always go and get a job beside his other ex EE pals on "The Bill" :rotfl:

dddMac1
08-05-2006, 15:54
it was so obvious he would leave next

desire786
08-05-2006, 18:03
Hey has ne1 got any new eastenders gossip dis is all old.

e-mail it to

Chris_2k11
08-05-2006, 19:07
e-mail it to bye luv yaz xx:readtheru :readtheru :readtheru

Richie_lecturer
08-05-2006, 19:09
Ooh, great smilies. Reminds me of Alan Sugar giving his employees a P45 and saying "you're fired". :cool:

Siobhan
09-05-2006, 09:48

e-mail it to
Please no text talk allowed on these boards..

Johnny Allen
09-05-2006, 18:40
However, I now feel that it is the right time to move on and further my career."

It's always the same response, I want to do something more in my career, I wanna crack Hollywood stuff like that and it never happens, only the rare few go on to do well in other tv work, but few succeed,. Personally I was never really a fan of the character of Jake or Joel Beckett's (although he did recently impress me) performances, so I won't really miss him that much.

star_girl
09-05-2006, 18:47
awww well i was just thinking aactually today that really jakedoesnt have much purpose in the square and is rathe rpointless now he has no family with him x

Dr. Tangliss
11-05-2006, 14:04
I have to admit, I am glad he is going. His character is so wooden and has nowhere to go.

Jada-GDR
22-05-2006, 12:55
i see you have many opinions opposing that of the article alan :rolleyes: