PDA

View Full Version : do you think children under 12 should be in a car seat

crazygirl
03-05-2006, 12:30
Children under 4ft 5in (1.35m) tall could soon have to use a proper child restraint and booster seat in the car or risk a fine for the driver.
The new rules are aimed at cutting the estimated 2,000 child deaths and injuries on the roads every year.

The Department of Transport hopes the proposals will be passed by Parliament into law by September.

Road Safety Minister Stephen Ladyman said the changes were for the good of everyone in a car.

"If you are not big enough for an adult restraint then it's not safe for the child and it's not safe for the people in the front seat either, who will be hit in the back of the head by a flying child in an emergency.

"Can you imagine any more horrible an accident than that?" Mr Ladyman said.

Currently, children over three years can use an adult seat belt.

Other changes include the requirement for all children under three to use an appropriate child restraint when travelling in any car or goods vehicle - although rear seats in taxis are exempt if there are no child restraints available.

Rear-facing baby seats must not be used in seats with an active frontal air-bag unless it has been de-activated.

From May 2009, the number of people in the rear of a car must not exceed the number of seat belts fitted.

Chloe O'brien
03-05-2006, 12:34
I have a 7 year old daughter and although I don't have a car myself anytime she is in a car she is usually in a booster seat when there is one available or sitting in the back seat.

Siobhan
03-05-2006, 12:37
I don't think they should be in a car seat. booster is fine if there is one available but if not I think most 8 - 12 year olds are tall and old enough not to have a child seat.

My daughter is 4 and when availble has a booster seat but in Taxis and stuff she will not allow the car to move unless she is strapped in.. it is just education for the kids to tell them what is safe and unsafe

Cornishbabe
03-05-2006, 12:54
It depends on how big they are. if they are tall then no!

willsmummy
03-05-2006, 20:27
They should be in a suitable restraint, which means a booster seat or car seat, depending how old they are.

The reason theyu have decided to bring this law in is becuase seatbelts are designed for adults, even those in the back. Children's skeletal frames aren't developed enough to withstand the pressure of an impact in a crash, so that's why they need boosters/car seats. If they are tall enough (over 5ft) then they don't need one. A booster seat puts them in the correct position to make a seatbelt safe. A booster costs 8 quid from Argos, which I think is a small price to pay for your child's safety.

I personally hate to see children in cars who aren't belted in correctly, especially smaller kids.

Pixie
03-05-2006, 20:42
I think children under 12 should have either a booster seat or a car seat. Afterall the law has been suggested for a reason and not just to be annoying

squillyfer
04-05-2006, 20:53
yeah i understand the safety behind it but some adults are only just above 4ft 5

willsmummy
05-05-2006, 12:37
But adults' skeletal frames have developed properly, whereas children's haven't. The impact of a crash can make a seatbelt dangereous if it isn't used properly.

I only know this becuase I am a shortarse myself, and I checked it out!

Rain_
07-05-2006, 13:53
My son is 12 and the size of a 9 year old due to illness. If i put him in a car seat he would be the laughing stock of school. He wears a seatbelt and for me (call me a bad parent if you wish) thats enough.

.:SpIcYsPy:.
07-05-2006, 16:42
Under 12!! No ways :eek: I think as soon as they are 5-6 they should be out.