PDA

View Full Version : A levels

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cornishbabe
22-04-2006, 11:27
As threads have been started for GCSEs and SATS. I thought id start a thread for all thouse for are doing A levels to discuss how things are/ arnt going.

Katy
22-04-2006, 11:54
im doing AS Levels, the revision aint going to well. I have such a short attention span.

Matters have not been helped by me having to re sit a geography exam that i failed last time.

shannisrules
22-04-2006, 12:20
my sisters doing her a levels this year everytime i see her shes revising but i spose it'll pay off shes expected all a's!

Cornishbabe
22-04-2006, 13:12
Well Im supposed to be doing revison and coursework. but at the moment it is still not happening. Not quite sure how im going to get it on track

di marco
22-04-2006, 13:21
Well Im supposed to be doing revison and coursework. but at the moment it is still not happening. Not quite sure how im going to get it on track

same here, im so going to fail! revision isnt going well lol though i seem to remember stuff a lot better by cramming rather than trying to learn it months in advance then remember it! done all my cw and still on track with hw, all apart from performing arts, i really want to do it but the teacher is driving me mad!

Cornishbabe
22-04-2006, 13:41
yeh i know what you mean about cramming its so much easier and the exams still seems ages away. well a month away at least.... dam thats soon.

ive still got 3 lots of courseowork to do.

di marco
22-04-2006, 13:51
yeh i know what you mean about cramming its so much easier and the exams still seems ages away. well a month away at least.... dam thats soon.

ive still got 3 lots of courseowork to do.

yeh it seems ages away then the teachers count down the days and youre like omg theyre so close! my performing arts cw is what im going to do all this weekend, im determined to do well in it! what subjects are you doing?

Cornishbabe
22-04-2006, 14:32
Biology environmental science and geography.

Biology I haveto take 5 exams 3 of which are retakes.

yourself?

Katy
22-04-2006, 16:01
ive been quite lucky as i dont have any coursework, but the revision is piling up for exams. I only have 1 retake which is good. Im sure we will all do fine.

di marco
22-04-2006, 16:04
Biology environmental science and geography.

Biology I haveto take 5 exams 3 of which are retakes.

yourself?

im doing biology, maths, performing arts, politics and general studies. and like you im doing 5 biology units, 3 which are retakes (and 2 of those im retaking for the second time lol!)

di marco
22-04-2006, 16:05
ive been quite lucky as i dont have any coursework, but the revision is piling up for exams. I only have 1 retake which is good. Im sure we will all do fine.

last summer, i only had 1 retake, this year i have 8 lol!

Abbie
22-04-2006, 17:43
awww good luck to you, hope you do really well

di marco
15-05-2006, 19:44
so hows everyones revision going? mine is going ok i suppose. my first exams next monday, thats only a week away! :eek:

Cornishbabe
15-05-2006, 20:56
so hows everyones revision going? mine is going ok i suppose. my first exams next monday, thats only a week away! :eek:

Ive still got 3 weeks till my first exam. and my revison still isnt exactly happening

di marco
15-05-2006, 21:02
Ive still got 3 weeks till my first exam. and my revison still isnt exactly happening

omg really? :eek: thats unfair!

Katy
15-05-2006, 21:26
first exam a week on thursday, HELP. The revision not going as well as id hoped

Cornishbabe
15-05-2006, 22:37
first exam a week on thursday, HELP. The revision not going as well as id hoped

Have you both got AS exams then?

di marco
16-05-2006, 16:15
Have you both got AS exams then?

ive got some AS retakes but doing alevel, the one on monday is an AS retake but on tuesday is an actual alevel exam

Katy
18-05-2006, 12:47
i acnt revise, i have no motivation, ive answered a few questions but its not enough. it doesnt seem to go into my brain. Its so annoying.

di marco
18-05-2006, 15:44
i acnt revise, i have no motivation, ive answered a few questions but its not enough. it doesnt seem to go into my brain. Its so annoying.

thats like me, i get distracted far too easily at school and end up talking or playing games lol! at home i try but sometimes i just cant be bothered, and half the time i can be looking at something for ages but nothing seems to go in

di marco
23-05-2006, 16:20
well ive had 2 exams so far, a maths retake yesterday, which was a lot better than i expected, and a biology practical paper today, which wasnt that good, the question was really stupid but everyone found it hard, tomorrow ive got another maths retake and then no more til after half term!

emma_strange
23-05-2006, 21:29
Eeep English language today...it went bad.

Katy
24-05-2006, 13:25
first one tomorrow, Psychology cores studies 1 and 2.

di marco
24-05-2006, 16:26
first one tomorrow, Psychology cores studies 1 and 2.

good luck :)
had the last of my exams before the half term today and it was ok, one of the questions was impossible, i had no idea so just drew a random graph and left it lol! the rest was ok though

Katy
25-05-2006, 16:41
the exam was ok but i think i could have done a little better one of the essays i didnt know what to write and a few 2 mark questions i didnt attempt as i couldnt even read what the words said talk about comples.

Geography tomorrow which im not looking forward to, 1 till 410. That sounds like what i do when i cant do a question, draw anything random.

emma_strange
26-05-2006, 08:21
English lit this morning, the most dreaded of them! I'm so going to fail.

Johnny Allen
26-05-2006, 10:51
English lit this morning, the most dreaded of them! I'm so going to fail.

have faith Emma, Im sure you'll be fine.

Cornishbabe
26-05-2006, 15:08
Im glad my exams still havnt started. But Ive been doing loads of practice papers and dont know anything!

Katy
26-05-2006, 16:56
ive just got back from failing geography, Why do they not right the exams in ENGLISH!!!!!!!

di marco
27-05-2006, 12:42
Im glad my exams still havnt started. But Ive been doing loads of practice papers and dont know anything!

i dont know anything either, its not good!

Katy
27-05-2006, 17:16
i ended up guessing half my geography as i had acomplete mental block on the case studies names.

Cornishbabe
04-06-2006, 18:16
Im completly begining to panic now. Ive been addingup my marks from last year to try and work out the marks i need this year in order to pass and get into the course i need. My first exams are tomorrow and i seriously dont know anything for them. I know i need to calm down but I cant!

di marco
04-06-2006, 20:27
ive got 2 biology exams tomorrow, ive already failed both of them twice so it should be "fun" to see what happens this time lol! :rolleyes:

Cornishbabe
04-06-2006, 20:40
yeh mine are biolgy too

are you with edexcel?

di marco
04-06-2006, 20:44
yeh mine are biolgy too

are you with edexcel?

erm *goes to check* yeh i am, so i take it you are as well?

Cornishbabe
04-06-2006, 20:46
yeh module one and two. module 1 i passed with an E last time module 2 ive failed twice. both i could so with getting at least a D in this time around

di marco
04-06-2006, 20:48
yeh module one and two. module 1 i passed with an E last time module 2 ive failed twice. both i could so with getting at least a D in this time around

im doing module 2 and 3, ive settled for a C for module 1, module 2 ive got Us both times, module 3 i got an E the first time and a U last time lol!

Cornishbabe
04-06-2006, 20:50
yeh module two is hard isnt it. ive got Us both times third time lucky!

module three you should be fine with this time around its realated to a lot of the stuff in unit 5. :)

di marco
04-06-2006, 20:54
yeh module two is hard isnt it. ive got Us both times third time lucky!

module three you should be fine with this time around its realated to a lot of the stuff in unit 5. :)

hopefully ill be fine, i think for the case study part i always get the wrong understanding of what its asking me cos i think ive done well and when i get the results realise i havent lol! module 2 is the hardest i think, i have no idea about most of it!

Cornishbabe
04-06-2006, 20:56
i know ive bene looking over exam questions tonight and im like OMG im so going to fail

di marco
04-06-2006, 21:15
i know ive bene looking over exam questions tonight and im like OMG im so going to fail

im gonna look through my revision book, we didnt have a proper teacher when we learn module 2 so thats why its even harder, i dont really know why im bothering retaking it seeing as im just going to fail again lol!

di marco
04-06-2006, 21:18
i think i might attempt some revision now lol! good luck tomorrow :)

Cornishbabe
04-06-2006, 22:24
good luck to you too. lets hoep the unit 2 paper is nice ish. let me know how you do.
emax

di marco
05-06-2006, 11:47
hmmmmmmmmmm dont really know what to say about it lol! module 3 i thought i did ok in (apart from the first question where id never heard of the words before and so wrote the same answer for all 3 lol!) but then i thought the last 2 times that id done ok and then didnt lol! module 2, the last questions i could do, all the stuff about progestrone and the other hormones i knew so i was happy a question about that came up, i had no idea on how tissue fluid was formed (i dont think weve ever learnt anything about that!) and some of the other stuff was hard but i took that exam first and so have forgotten most of it lol! the first question about the lungs and the diaphragm (sp?) i knew it but my mind went blank so i was annoyed lol! oh well ill just have to wait and see, but i cant have done worse than last time lol!

Cornishbabe
05-06-2006, 12:13
Yeh module one was nice. my mates didnt understand the one in unit 3 with the words in latin either.

as for module 2 what the hell am i supposed to say. that was the words stupidest weirdest exam ever. and ive probably failed it a third time

di marco
05-06-2006, 12:28
Yeh module one was nice. my mates didnt understand the one in unit 3 with the words in latin either.

as for module 2 what the hell am i supposed to say. that was the words stupidest weirdest exam ever. and ive probably failed it a third time

glad module 1 was good, only 1 person in my year was retaking that, maybe i should have done as well lol! and glad i wasnt the only one that didnt understand the words lol!

Cornishbabe
05-06-2006, 12:31
yeh. but what was with module 2. it had the worlds stupidest questions what is tissue fluid and where the hell does it come from. I wrote so much rubbish the examiner will be able to tell I had no idea what i was on about!

di marco
05-06-2006, 13:05
yeh. but what was with module 2. it had the worlds stupidest questions what is tissue fluid and where the hell does it come from. I wrote so much rubbish the examiner will be able to tell I had no idea what i was on about!

yeh the first half was really stupid, the second half was okish. im glad im not the only one to not know about tissue fluid, i had no idea for that question so just made it all up lol! and question 2 i couldnt do either, cant remember what is was but i couldnt do it lol!

Katy
05-06-2006, 15:40
today i wrote 8 pages pf sheer utter rubbish that made no sense at all.

di marco
05-06-2006, 15:42
today i wrote 8 pages pf sheer utter rubbish that made no sense at all.

awwwwwwww lol im sure it wasnt that bad! i bet the examiners have a great time laughing at my useless answers when they mark my exams!

Cornishbabe
05-06-2006, 17:02
yeh. maybe they'll give us A's for brightening their day up!

di marco
05-06-2006, 17:36
yeh. maybe they'll give us A's for brightening their day up!

lol! haha thatd be good! :D

emma_strange
09-06-2006, 19:35
Hey, just wodering if anyone knows when the A2 film exam is? Thanks!

emma_strange
09-06-2006, 19:35
Oh, and my exams are finally over! Yey! No more college for 13 weeks!!

di marco
09-06-2006, 20:17

erm i dont know sorry we dont do that at my school

di marco
09-06-2006, 20:18
Oh, and my exams are finally over! Yey! No more college for 13 weeks!!

lucky you! my exams dont finsh til 3 weeks time :(

Becksfanz
09-06-2006, 20:31
Just finished college 2day, I studied GNVQ ICT and tutors told me that i could apply for A Levels of ICT but having heard dthat they are hard so i am scared to apply for it! Heh so anyone doing A Levels, yous are brave! :)

Kim
09-06-2006, 22:03

I think you can find a timetable that shows all the dates on the internet, try googling it.

di marco
10-06-2006, 10:39
I think you can find a timetable that shows all the dates on the internet, try googling it.

oh yeh i forgot about that lol! if you know the examboard, go on their website and it should tell you

Katy
10-06-2006, 16:05
Come on, roll on monday. Only two more to go. Then back to College on Thursday to start A2 work, Lucky me.

Dreading the results.

di marco
10-06-2006, 16:33
Dreading the results.

arent we all lol! its not going to be good!

Katy
10-06-2006, 16:42
mine never are, i hate getting them and everyone else has done dead well, its really emabarrasing. This years better as i get them from the computer.

di marco
10-06-2006, 16:47
mine never are, i hate getting them and everyone else has done dead well, its really emabarrasing. This years better as i get them from the computer.

lucky you, we dont get ours from the computer, i hate it when you come out of an exam which you thought was hard and everyone else is saying it was hard too, then on results day everyone else has done really well and youre the only one thats done awful!

doginthepond
10-06-2006, 17:28
Can we add university results to this thread.

I am dreading them!

Kim
10-06-2006, 18:09
Can we add university results to this thread.

I am dreading them!

You can start a seperate thread for that, so that this one stays on topic and posts about university exams and A levels do not get mixed up.

Katy
12-06-2006, 12:33
IVE FINISHED

I am so happy after the nightmares ive had this week.

di marco
12-06-2006, 16:43
i had maths today, it was so hot in the room i couldnt concentrate properly, the paper was ok though, some of the questions were really easy, others were a bit confusing

di marco
14-06-2006, 10:12
ive got general studies this afternoon, its the french paper, not really sure what to expect, im hoping its multiple choice lol seeing as although i got an A for gcse i havent done it since!

Katy
14-06-2006, 12:30
Im dreading general studies next year, I just know im going to be rubbish at it. Does everyone has to do French?

di marco
14-06-2006, 13:14
Im dreading general studies next year, I just know im going to be rubbish at it. Does everyone has to do French?

no you get to choose the language you want to do

Katy
14-06-2006, 14:38
oh good, French was never my strong point. I did German for GCSE. Good luck with it anyway.

di marco
14-06-2006, 16:56
oh good, French was never my strong point. I did German for GCSE. Good luck with it anyway.

you can choose between french, german and spanish, ive never done spanish before in my life, only did german for 2 years and was useless at it and did french for 5 years including for gcse so i thought id do french lol!

anyway, the exam was stupid, it was out of 45, only 20 of those marks were actually to do with french, the french part was multiple choice thank god cos it was a comprehension on articles taken from french newspapers and stuff, hardly general studies really, when will i need to know how to read an article in french on computer companies/police riots or some little kid whos ill, i had no idea what most of it was going on about lol! then the other 25 marks were for an essay we had to write, nothing to do with french or france at all! you got to choose out of 6 different essays, in the end i choose one about arguments for and against censorship in the news media, some of the options were really silly like what factors have to be meet before something is a work of art, or the ethnic and moral rights people have to migrate to different countries, i mean if we had actually learnt these things then fine, but the average person doesnt know that sort of stuff! :rolleyes:

Katy
14-06-2006, 19:44
I do next year doesnt look to good, i m hopeless at general stuff. Im sure you will have done great though.

Cornishbabe
20-06-2006, 16:34
Di marco how did you find unit 4 and 5 biology today?

di marco
20-06-2006, 17:24
Di marco how did you find unit 4 and 5 biology today?

hahaha! erm well some of it was difficult but it was a lot easier than i thought it would be, especially unit 5, the synoptic part some of it was ok, other parts i was like what??? lol! but yeh i thought it was ok, you?

Cornishbabe
20-06-2006, 22:46
I absolutly hated it i liked the ecocolgy and genetics question and that was it. and all the questions on oxitdative phosphylation if you dint know it for one papare you wudnt for the next

di marco
21-06-2006, 13:50
I absolutly hated it i liked the ecocolgy and genetics question and that was it. and all the questions on oxitdative phosphylation if you dint know it for one papare you wudnt for the next

yeh the genetics question was good cos it was the easier part of genetics, yeh oxidative phosphylation was hard, i mean i think i know what it is but couldnt really explain it properly in relation to the question lol! i also couldnt remember what all the different kingdoms were lol so the first question was like what?! on the synoptic part of unit 5 where it was something to do with the nervous system in insect i had absolutely no idea! and on unit 4 the question about respiration i thought the diagrams were quite confusing

di marco
22-06-2006, 12:00
i had my last ever general studies exam today yay! it was on the 2005 general election, the articles part was a bit silly i think i rambled on lol but the essay part was good cos i do politics so one of the essays i knew about

di marco
23-06-2006, 11:28
ive got biology this afternoon, yay for the last time ever! i should probably be revising for it but its a synoptic paper so ive revised all the stuff already for the other papers. cornishbabe, do you have biology today too? omg just found out theres an essay question in it worth nearly half the marks, im officially going to fail lol!

di marco
23-06-2006, 15:34
ok, maybe i worried a bit too much lol! wasnt as bad as i thought it would be, the essay i vaguely knew but dont think i wrote anywhere near enough! so hopefully i might have scraped an E!

di marco
27-06-2006, 17:42
its me again lol! i seem to be the only person using this thread now! well i had my first politics exam today, it went ok so im not too worried. only 1 more exam left now yay! :D

Cornishbabe
27-06-2006, 22:47
good luck with that

all my exams are over now. Its such a great feeling. to have finished colllege forever

Becksfanz
27-06-2006, 22:54
My tutors told me that I was too good on my GNVQ ICT course and that I could apply for A Levels but was too scared to do them so I stopped tihinking about it then few weeks later, my tutor suggested e-Media: Web Design and Animation in Diploma as she thought I was suited for it then I said okay! THen I thought hang on Diploma is harder than A Level but thought what the hell! When Im thinking about A level i think aaarrrghh too hard but when am thinking about Diploma i go mmm am I weird?! Heh

di marco
28-06-2006, 08:23
good luck with that

all my exams are over now. Its such a great feeling. to have finished colllege forever

thanks. cool that yours have finished, i cant wait til tomorrow to say yay no school again and the holidays have properly started lol! :D

Cornishbabe
10-08-2006, 15:12
:banned: Only six sleeps left until we get results. .. im nervous already

Katy
10-08-2006, 17:46
oh my God, i cant handle the wait i know ive messed up. At least mine are only AS levels. Not here for the results im in Scotland so ive got to wait which really sucks as everyoine else will know what they have got.

Cornishbabe
11-08-2006, 17:26
oh my God, i cant handle the wait i know ive messed up. At least mine are only AS levels. Not here for the results im in Scotland so ive got to wait which really sucks as everyoine else will know what they have got.

Cant you get someone else to pick them up for you and then phone the results over. thats what i did last year?!

di marco
12-08-2006, 18:04
omg i cant believe its nearly here, i really dont want them, i know im going to have done so badly! im definitely not going to open them at school, everyone else will have done so much better than me!

Cornishbabe
12-08-2006, 19:05
omg i cant believe its nearly here, i really dont want them, i know im going to have done so badly! im definitely not going to open them at school, everyone else will have done so much better than me!

well the good thing is you can go on ucas first thing and check whether you have got in. so by the time you get your results they wont matter anymore

di marco
12-08-2006, 19:09
well the good thing is you can go on ucas first thing and check whether you have got in. so by the time you get your results they wont matter anymore

really? but then again do i really wanna do that? hmmmm. i dont think ill have got into my first choice cos it was quite high, oh i dont know what i want to do now lol! but now youve told me that ill probably go on there first thing and then already be disappointed before i get my results lol!

Cornishbabe
12-08-2006, 19:22
really? but then again do i really wanna do that? hmmmm. i dont think ill have got into my first choice cos it was quite high, oh i dont know what i want to do now lol! but now youve told me that ill probably go on there first thing and then already be disappointed before i get my results lol!
but if you havnt got your results you can be disapointed on your own in adavnce.

emma_strange
12-08-2006, 19:35
Eep eep eep 5 days! I'm dreading them! :eek:

di marco
12-08-2006, 19:42
but if you havnt got your results you can be disapointed on your own in adavnce.

yeh i suppose thats true, well ill either do that or just wait til i get out the school gates to open my results cos ive definitely decided im not doing it in front of everyone lol!

di marco
12-08-2006, 19:42
Eep eep eep 5 days! I'm dreading them! :eek:

:eek: stop reminding me lol! :(

Cornishbabe
12-08-2006, 21:02
:eek: stop reminding me lol! :(

Its wierd I cant wait to get them out of the way but dont want to incase i havnt got in. If I havnt got in I dont know what ill do next year.

di marco
12-08-2006, 21:36
Its wierd I cant wait to get them out of the way but dont want to incase i havnt got in. If I havnt got in I dont know what ill do next year.

well if i aint got into my first choice ill be a bit disappointed cos then i wont have got the grades i was aiming for in my subjects, but unless i did terribly ill have probably got into my second choice, but if i didnt get the grades i wanted im going to take a gap year and retake them then go to uni, well thats the plan anyway lol! yeh and i know what you mean, i want the results to see how i did but i dont want them cos i dont want to know ive failed lol!

emma_strange
14-08-2006, 20:52
I got a letter to say i had failed my Key Skills exam the other day, oops!

di marco
14-08-2006, 21:27
omg everytime i see this thread it reminds me of how close they are! :(

Cornishbabe
15-08-2006, 11:50
omg everytime i see this thread it reminds me of how close they are! :(

just thnk in 47 hours time well know!

di marco
15-08-2006, 12:32
just thnk in 47 hours time well know!

i know, i woke up this morning and thought oh god only 48hrs i really dont wanna know them! i just know ive done worse than i wanted to, i just hope i havent completely failed any of them (although that could happen with biology lol!)

Johnny Allen
16-08-2006, 10:09
just one day to go, and now Im panicing hope I did alright.

di marco
16-08-2006, 11:29
just one day to go, and now Im panicing hope I did alright.

ive been panicking (sp?) since i got back from hols last week, its weird seeing as i wasnt even bothered when it was my gcse results!

Becksfanz
16-08-2006, 21:58
I never used to hate waiting for results but now, when it get nearer to get the results, it make me think hurry up! it feel like forever to find out the results but thats life! gr lol

Cornishbabe
17-08-2006, 08:41
Ive just checked on UCAS track and Ive got into my first place course. So I feel happy now. I dont care that much about the results any more

di marco
17-08-2006, 10:18
Ive just checked on UCAS track and Ive got into my first place course. So I feel happy now. I dont care that much about the results any more

well done! :D ive decided not to look on ucas track cos it might disappoint me before ive even seen my results!

had to go at 9 to get my performing arts results got a B overall which im pleased about, id have liked an A but seeing as i was messed around so much and so only really had a week to restart 2 units i think a Bs good! plus for the exam that i did all by myself (that my teacher didnt want me to do and said that id need his help to stand a chance of passing it!) well i got 100% on it! i was well pleased and surprised seeing as i thought id mucked up on a bit of it, i really want to find my teacher and shove it in his face haha!

anyways, get all my other results at 11 so waiting to see how ive done in my other subjects

emma_strange
17-08-2006, 11:26
Eep eep got my As results.

Media Studies- B
Psychology- C
English Language- C
English Literature- D

Looks like i'm in for resits!!

di marco
17-08-2006, 12:06
Eep eep got my As results.

Media Studies- B
Psychology- C
English Language- C
English Literature- D

Looks like i'm in for resits!!

well done! :) theyre not that bad! i got an E for one of my AS's last year, and as you say you can do resits

ok heres my other results:

maths - B (my teachers were disappointed by this but im just gald i didnt get a C)

politics - B (really pleased with this result, seeing as for the first year i hated the subject and was useless, i was aiming for a C which seemed a bit adventurous so im really pleased with the B!)

general studies - B (although no where seems to care about general studies so i may as well have well failed it lol!)

biology - well someone mucked this up somewhere along the line and so none of our biology results were submitted (which we are all really annoyed about!) but the teachers tried to work out our grades from our unit grades and they think i got an E (which considering i thought i was going to fail was really good lol!)

Johnny Allen
17-08-2006, 12:19
congratulations Emma and DiMarco. Well done. Got my A2's this morning.

B-Media Studies
B-Film Studies
C- English Lit

I went home happy, I think the realisation that there's no more college has just sunk in for me.

di marco
17-08-2006, 12:27
congratulations Emma and DiMarco. Well done. Got my A2's this morning.

B-Media Studies
B-Film Studies
C- English Lit

I went home happy, I think the realisation that there's no more college has just sunk in for me.

thanks and well done! :D lol! yep no more school for me now ever yay!

DaVeyWaVey
17-08-2006, 13:48
Well done everyone who got their a level results today. :)

x Amby x
17-08-2006, 14:43
my cousin go this results today he got:
Biology- B
Maths- B
Chemistry- D
But he got into Cardiff Uni so hes happy and hes studying phorenzic (sp?) science!

xXxJessxXx
17-08-2006, 15:38
Well done guys. Know how you were feeling just waiting. I got my GCSE Results next week! :(

Glad to see you did well! :thumbsup:

emma_strange
17-08-2006, 18:15
Well done Di Marco and Johnny Allen!

Cornishbabe
17-08-2006, 20:13
Results

C geography
C environmental science
E biology

SO im off to marjons!

di marco
17-08-2006, 20:39
Results

C geography
C environmental science
E biology

SO im off to marjons!

well done cornishbabe! :D i see you got an E in biology too lol! wahoo thats the best grade to get haha!

di marco
17-08-2006, 20:40
my cousin go this results today he got:
Biology- B
Maths- B
Chemistry- D
But he got into Cardiff Uni so hes happy and hes studying phorenzic (sp?) science!

well done to him! :) how did he manage a B in biology, he must be a genius lol!

itsme!
17-08-2006, 21:37
my sister got her results today she got:
biology-a
chemistry-a
physics-a
general studies-b

so shes happy and is now going to nottingham uni

Dr. Tangliss
18-08-2006, 08:30
She did well. I am off to Nottingham to study medicine.

Well done to all of you who have received your A'level results. For those of you who are going to university, enjoy yourselves, it's probably going to be the best time of your lives.

di marco
18-08-2006, 09:38
my sister got her results today she got:
biology-a
chemistry-a
physics-a
general studies-b

so shes happy and is now going to nottingham uni

well done to her! :) 3 As wow!

Meh
18-08-2006, 11:00
I see records were broken again this year! Congrats to everyone, but ...

In my time, if someone got three A's it was a big deal. We are talking the 'wow' factor. You were the creme de la creme. Apparently they were handing out a full set of A's at my local college yesterday which either tells me:

Teaching has improved
A levels have got easier

Now, why would universities be setting their own enterance exams?

di marco
18-08-2006, 11:34
I see records were broken again this year! Congrats to everyone, but ...

In my time, if someone got three A's it was a big deal. We are talking the 'wow' factor. You were the creme de la creme. Apparently they were handing out a full set of A's at my local college yesterday which either tells me:

Teaching has improved
A levels have got easier

Now, why would universities be setting their own enterance exams?

unis set their own entrance exams?

maybe people are just cleverer? plus now more and more people are taking their alevels so surely more people are going to get As than before? also all this alevels are getting easier, well even if they were, not everyone would get As anyway cos if too many people obtain As overall (ie get more than 80%) then they just higher the grade boundaries, maybe making 85% an A, therefore surely its making it harder to get As seeing as you have to get more right than previously?

Meh
18-08-2006, 12:43
unis set their own entrance exams?

maybe people are just cleverer? plus now more and more people are taking their alevels so surely more people are going to get As than before? also all this alevels are getting easier, well even if they were, not everyone would get As anyway cos if too many people obtain As overall (ie get more than 80%) then they just higher the grade boundaries, maybe making 85% an A, therefore surely its making it harder to get As seeing as you have to get more right than previously?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1735660,00.html

What's the evidence that people are getting cleverer? The number of students passing exams cannot be used as an indicator.

Raising the grade boundries does not make one iota of difference if the exams are easier and modular (with several attempts to get a better grade). Explain how year on year we achieve records targets, yet the innovation coming out of GB is at an all time low. We can't even hold onto our call centre industry!

Siobhan
18-08-2006, 12:50
I don't know what the exams are like in the Uk but over here speaking from experience, exams are getting easier.. In 1989 I did my maths finals.. they were tough and when had to learn Theroms by heart, same with english, we had to learn poems by heart so we could not only discuss but quote them...

9 year later I resat some of my exam, Maths and english were 2 of the subject i noticed got easier.. Poems were included in the paper, with Maths it changed so much (I went from a D grade to A grade and I never studied maths in that 9 year period)... Plus they allow use of calculators, in 1989, not calculator and everything (including squares) were done using tables..

Jojo
18-08-2006, 13:19
I think it the entire system needs looking at. It was such a big deal, even when I did my GSCS's if you managed to scrape even a B, let alone the people that got A grades (and there weren't that many because it was so hard to achieve)

I think everyone has done extremely well, from what I have seen on here, with regards to their results and congratulations to you all, but like has been said, with all of these results and something like the highest A grade results in the last 24 years (each year more A grades being achieved than the previous), its a shame that these skills aren't going to be put to use in the UK.

Cornishbabe
18-08-2006, 14:51
A levels are not getting easier. I only know one person who got an A at my college.

I am really proud of myself for getting an E in biology I pu a lots of work into it and I am more happy with teh E than the two Cs I got. And when people are constantly going on about the fact they are easy. Im sorry but I put a lot of hard work into getting the grades I did and Im fairly sure everyone else did.

di marco
18-08-2006, 21:06
exactly cornishbabe. and nb i know theres no proof that people are getting cleverer im just saying they could be

what i want to know is how these people determine how the exams are getting easier? more people getting A grades doesnt prove that, and as i used people getting cleverer as an example, there could be any number of different reasons.

siobhan used remembering quotes for english as an example. well going on to gcses, when i did gcse english literature my year was the last year that could take our annotated texts in with us, my sis took her gcse english lit exam this year and had to learn and remember all the notes she had made off by heart, yes she did get a new copy of the text in the exam, so she didnt have to remember quotes, but unlike me she couldnt just expand ideas from her notes. but they say that gcses are getting easier too, surely this cant be correct, id have thought it would be a whole lot easier to copy from notes than to remember them but i can almost guarantee that when the gcse results come out next week, all the critics will be saying how theyve been getting easier

not only when people say the alevels have been getting easier does it seem like the grades i have worked so hard to get not mean as much, but it also makes me think, and im sure it must make others think this as well, that i must be really thick if i could only manage an E in biology and my exam was easy!

di marco
18-08-2006, 21:29
"Since 2003, Oxford, Cambridge and other leading universities claim that they have been forced to set additional entrance exams for subjects such as medicine and law, history, because A levels alone no longer help them to identify the very best. Last year, Cambridge was forced to turn away 5,325 applicants who went on to achieve straight As."

this part of the article that nb posted interested me, cos it says that they have additional entrance tests for medicine and law. now it says that these have been happening since 2003, however, some people from my school applied to oxford and cambridge and out of the ones that wanted to study those subjects, only one of them had to take an additional test (for law at cambridge), one other person from my school got into oxford to do law without taking a test, and another person was turned away from cambridge to do medicine (even though he was predicted 5 As) also without taking an additional test. so surely it would seem, they claim to have been "forced" to set these exams cos of the high number of As, but in reality they arent actually setting them for all the people that apply. now this is either cos they dont set them for all applicants, or they dont have too many extra places so dont actually need the extra exams?

JoeBoy1987
19-08-2006, 14:23
people who think that a levels are getting easier really wind me up.

I studied really hard for my exams, attended all my lessons and did all my homework was a perfect student... i still came out with a D and an E.

I suppose it might be to do with the fact that my college has been put into special measures...... but that's beside the point.

The exams were not easy and not many of the people who i have spoken to recieved an A. I think it is the media making something out of nothing again to create headlines.

Katy
19-08-2006, 14:58
Well Done everybody.

I got my AS results

A in Psychology
B in Law
and 2 Ds in 'Music and Geography which could have been better but i have next year yo improve on them. A little bit more hard work i think is in order.

I was really pleased with Psychology as an A is like the best you can get and i ve never had an A before.

Jojo
19-08-2006, 15:00
Well Done everybody.

I got my AS results

A in Psychology
B in Law
and 2 Ds in 'Music and Geography which could have been better but i have next year yo improve on them. A little bit more hard work i think is in order.

I was really pleased with Psychology as an A is like the best you can get and i ve never had an A before. Congrats Katy - well done!! :cheer:

Could someone tell me the difference between AS Levels and A Levels - quite often I have seen them mentioned, and I haven't a clue what they are. All I knew were GCSE's and A Levels.

Katy
19-08-2006, 15:15
Basically you do two years at college and in the first year at the end you sit you AS levels for each grade you get points which total half the grade of the full A Level. So i have a total of 170 UCAS points in the bag for university. Next year i need another 120 to get on the course i want to do.

Jojo
19-08-2006, 15:18
Basically you do two years at college and in the first year at the end you sit you AS levels for each grade you get points which total half the grade of the full A Level. So i have a total of 170 UCAS points in the bag for university. Next year i need another 120 to get on the course i want to do. Ahh, right, I see - so you would need a certain number of points which is grade dependant to get onto the course you want to do at Uni - is that right?? (The old grey matter isn't what it used to be - I'm sure women lose part of their brain with each child :rotfl: )

Katy
19-08-2006, 15:20
Yes thats right. I think an A grade at A Level after 2 years is a 120 points and the points decrease when the grades do. It took a while for me to ubderstand as well. I got all confused. It also means that i can drop one subject and still get a grade and points that arent wasted (byebye music)

Jojo
19-08-2006, 15:28
That sounds a better way of doing things, rather than spending say 4 years doing a subject that you have realised, isn't really the direction you want to go in, but need to carry on to try and get the grades required to get into the Uni that you want to go to.

di marco
20-08-2006, 07:41
Well Done everybody.

I got my AS results

A in Psychology
B in Law

I was really pleased with Psychology as an A is like the best you can get and i ve never had an A before.

well done cornetgal, theyre really good! :D

Rain_
20-08-2006, 20:41
Just like to say congrats to everyone who got the results they wanted.....and if you didn't? Try, try again :)

Cornishbabe
03-09-2006, 22:34
Who else is off to uni? when do you go?

Im offf in 13 days and im terrified already

Katy
04-09-2006, 09:46
aww im sure you will be fine a lot of my friends are going there all really scared i think its more of a fact he has to cook for himself!!. I ve got another year yet but have got to start that wonderful process of UCAS.

di marco
04-09-2006, 13:37
Who else is off to uni? when do you go?

Im offf in 13 days and im terrified already

im off on the 16th september, im sort of scared but i cant wait!

Cornishbabe
16-09-2006, 13:26
Rite im off to university so may not be around for a few weeks, Good Luck to everyone else off in the next few days or weeks as I know some unis dont start until october.
Have fun and dont drink to much.

Jojo
16-09-2006, 13:34
Hope it all goes well Ems - take care and be sure to live by your rules :D

Cornishbabe
16-09-2006, 14:01
Well Im hoping that I will be able to remember at least half of freshers week. PLus I cant blow my whole student loan on alchol can I

.:SpIcYsPy:.
16-09-2006, 15:07
Have a great time and goodluck CornishBabe!! :cheer: Take care!! xx

di marco
19-09-2006, 11:54
Rite im off to university so may not be around for a few weeks, Good Luck to everyone else off in the next few days or weeks as I know some unis dont start until october.
Have fun and dont drink to much.

good luck cornishbabe, hope youre enjoying yourself! :) lol the not drinking too much is hard to live by lol but im going to have to try, cant afford to keep spending as much as ive done in the last few days lol!

Cornishbabe
20-09-2006, 00:41
good luck cornishbabe, hope youre enjoying yourself! :) lol the not drinking too much is hard to live by lol but im going to have to try, cant afford to keep spending as much as ive done in the last few days lol!

I know what you mean Ive spent so much money!

Katy
20-09-2006, 17:00
Oh my God, today we were doing this like Bugeting thing and dependany thing in one of the lessons to see how well we would cope at Uni. Lets put it this way i havbe a lot to learn before i go (fingers crossed) next year.

hope you two are enjoying yourselves and not getting too drunk.

Abbie
20-09-2006, 17:03
Today we had a long talk and had to fill out a form saying what A levels and stuff we would like to do when we leave and i just keep thinking oh my god soon i have to make up my mind!!!

Katy
20-09-2006, 17:04
What year are you in, are you starting your A Levels this year??

It took me ages to decide mine but it was all good in the end as i was really pleased with my choices.

xStephaniex
20-09-2006, 23:05
ive just started my As levels last week and its hard work but im loving Law !! im getting really into it and love studying all the different types of cases and courts !! were going to a london conference meeting next month and to the croydon crown courts next year sometime which i think is great !!. im going to the Brighton crown courts public gallery next week to do some research so im really enjoying Law. English Lit is hard and English language is ok!! so im enjoying college big time!.

Hows everyone finding there courses??

di marco
21-09-2006, 09:21
I know what you mean Ive spent so much money!

me too! we tried to cut back yesterday by going to the free school disco party instead of the expensive one lol managed to save £6! i think after this first week ill try not to spend so much and stay in a few nights lol!

Cornishbabe
21-09-2006, 10:53
me too! we tried to cut back yesterday by going to the free school disco party instead of the expensive one lol managed to save £6! i think after this first week ill try not to spend so much and stay in a few nights lol!

well hopefully ater the first few weeks we will have wrok to do tho my lectures ae only on a monday and tuesday 9-6 :(

Ive been out so much I have no vioce

di marco
21-09-2006, 10:58
well hopefully ater the first few weeks we will have wrok to do tho my lectures ae only on a monday and tuesday 9-6 :(

Ive been out so much I have no vioce

lol my voice is ok, though my ears arent, i can hear a ringing noise lol! plus im so tired and i think i better start eating properly too! i have lectures 3 days a week i think though im not entirely sure but im hoping ill make sure i do the work instead of going out lol!

Cornishbabe
21-09-2006, 11:53
yeh. I was going to go to explore the locl tesco. but soemidiot has blocked my car in!

Katy
21-09-2006, 17:30
ive just started my As levels last week and its hard work but im loving Law !! im getting really into it and love studying all the different types of cases and courts !! were going to a london conference meeting next month and to the croydon crown courts next year sometime which i think is great !!. im going to the Brighton crown courts public gallery next week to do some research so im really enjoying Law.

Really glad your enjoying college Steff, i really enjoy law to, i found it really interesting as i had never really understood all the different parts.

Im in my second year of law and im still enjoying it.

The crown court and Magistrate court visits were really good, as well, a memorable experience especially watching this woman kicking off at the judge, but what did you expect with a name like Angel. My tuter got slightly worried when i knew someone on trial and he started talking to me after.

Tori
21-09-2006, 19:36
I have also started college and i guess it's okay. Lessons are fine, but I hate the social time because half the group go to weatherspoons down the road for lunch and then other people might have lessons when i have lunch so it's not all that fun.

I'm doing German, Geography, ICT Applied and French, and they're going alright. A lot of work but it is to be expected. I'm going to Barcelona with geography just after half term then the Munich exchange in March. I can't wait!!

I'm looking at universities and I really want to go but there are these tuition fees which are going to be a problem :angry: bringing back the divide...

xStephaniex
23-09-2006, 15:09
Really glad your enjoying college Steff, i really enjoy law to, i found it really interesting as i had never really understood all the different parts.

Im in my second year of law and im still enjoying it.

The crown court and Magistrate court visits were really good, as well, a memorable experience especially watching this woman kicking off at the judge, but what did you expect with a name like Angel. My tuter got slightly worried when i knew someone on trial and he started talking to me after.

Aparantly the second year is harder than first year? which i kinda figured it would be but i think it will get more and more interesting as you go. im going to the brighton courts to get extra research im that into it! lol. The english literature is hard though and aparantly it was my best subject in GCSE's :s.

i hope you do well in your second year !! :D. good luck hunni xxxx

Katy
23-09-2006, 18:36
thanks, the second year is slightly harder theres more cases to learn, were doing Criminal law so the cases are kind of hmm, Intersting. Law is pretty tough going with all the learning but once you remember cases and things you have pretty much cracked it. I hope to get a good grade so that i get accepted to uni to do a law degree.

I was never anygood at English. Never remember what to write or how to compare texts.

Abi
11-01-2007, 20:10
Thought i'd drag up an old thread...

Has anyone had any module exams? I haven't, but loads of my mates had Maths and Biology ones.

We have end of term exams, I got an A (ICT), B (English) B (Geography) and C (Politics) so i was happy with that- especially as Politics is a new subject for me, and the way you answer the questions isn't anything like how i had to answer any other exam.

So much coursework though!! I've got to decide between studying "Great Expections", "Silas Marner" and "Wuthering Heights" for English. Its an independant one, so you read the book, make up a question and answer it in an essay, without any help with sucks...

Tori
11-01-2007, 20:47
I have a geography one on monday, i hope to get an A but i don;t think i will... i have in past papers but on the mock i only got a B

Katy
12-01-2007, 14:56
I do to, its the third time i have sat this paper so i am determined not to fail it. I got a D first time round, and a U second so the only way is up.

I have general studies for 2 hours monday morning, then i go in isolation as the exams clash then i have my geography.

Abi
12-01-2007, 16:24
Do you do 3 A Levels, and then General Studies then?

I dont do General Studies, i do 4 A Levels. I'm meant to have a General Studies-type lesson with my tutor every week, but he can't be bothered as much as we can't, so he just cancels it most weeks.

Katy
12-01-2007, 16:30
I did 4 AS levels then dropped one, now i do three plus we do general studies. But that is only one lesson a week.

Abi
12-01-2007, 16:40
Or right, thats fair enough!

I'm just starting doing my English Coursework at the minute. I've choosen Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte for mine, though i might read Jane Eyre as well, and see which one i can write the most about. What subjects do you do again, Katy?

Katy
12-01-2007, 17:05
Psychology Geography and Law, i did music last year but that was the one i dropped. IMy friend handed her english coursework into day. I think she did Emma.

Abigail
12-01-2007, 21:04
Thought i'd drag up an old thread...

Has anyone had any module exams? I haven't, but loads of my mates had Maths and Biology ones.

We have end of term exams, I got an A (ICT), B (English) B (Geography) and C (Politics) so i was happy with that- especially as Politics is a new subject for me, and the way you answer the questions isn't anything like how i had to answer any other exam.

So much coursework though!! I've got to decide between studying "Great Expections", "Silas Marner" and "Wuthering Heights" for English. Its an independant one, so you read the book, make up a question and answer it in an essay, without any help with sucks...

I had Biology and Business Studies AS on Wednesday. The biology one was so hard, I left about 10 qestions.
I had physics today. It went ok but I ran out of time so I didn't get to check it and I forgot a few formulae. Everything that I didn't want to come up did. Vectors came up on two questions (there was only 6) and I really can't do them.
Got key skills on Tuesday but I'm not bothered about that, it doesn't count for anything.

Abi
12-01-2007, 21:57
Psychology Geography and Law, i did music last year but that was the one i dropped. IMy friend handed her english coursework into day. I think she did Emma.

I do Geography as well, its not as hard as what i thought it was going to do. The coursework is taking ages though!! After 6 weeks, i'm only just finishing the analysis :crying:

Politics is going to be my worse exam. We dont have any coursework (Mainly because only half of the course is theory, and the rest is based on Current Affairs, so if you did a coursework, the current affairs would have changed/been resolved by the time you finished it), we just have an exam. 1 3 hour exam, of everything we've done this year... Its going to be hard, especially the EU Module. UK politics is easier.

Loads of my mates did that Biology Paper Jelly_belly. They said that half of it wasn't that hard, but the second half was basically impossible. And as it was only a module, they're ****ing themselves over the finals in June!

Abigail
12-01-2007, 22:04
Loads of my mates did that Biology Paper Jelly_belly. They said that half of it wasn't that hard, but the second half was basically impossible. And as it was only a module, they're ****ing themselves over the finals in June!

Which module did they do? We did something that involved cells, lipids, proteins etc (can't remember the title). I know colleges round my area are all doing different modules. There was one question that was really easy cos it came up in a mock. Some of the questions were impossible on my paper. So many people have dropped biology cos they find it too hard.

Katy
13-01-2007, 16:28
my friend di the bilogy one as well. She was learning all about the leaf structure and blood cells. Dont know which module that was. I didnt do biology its science.
Hows politics going Abi. I was going to take that, but i took Law instead. I know the first module were quite simular.

Abi
13-01-2007, 16:52
Its good. The theory part of it is fairly easy, because its just stuff like Parliament, the Legisature process etc, which most people vaguely know things about anyway. The hardest part for me is mixing the theory and practise together in the exams, so i'm trying to do that more often, lol!!

I wanted to do Law, but i would have had to have gone to another college to do it... it looks good though...

Katy
13-01-2007, 16:54
that was our first module in Law. Parliamentry process. But i have to know a bit about it as they are very simular and intergrate alot with one another. We have to read about all the current affairs. And its also very useful for general studies i have been told so im reading the political parts in the papers. Hoping it will get me a pass grade.

Bryan
13-01-2007, 17:43
god how I hate January exams, the worst time of year to have them, they are so depressing.

Have English/Media/Film and Critical Thinking in the next 2 weeks.

My philosophy is if I havent learnt it already I wont in two weeks of revision. English we take our annotated books in, and media is a set question, it never changes, I got an A in my mock so if i remember my answer then I'll be fine.

Film is the one I'm worrying about the most, couldn't give a damn about Critical Thinking.

I've discovered that Southampton only needs 180 points, which is 3 D's (This isn't a reflection on the university, it's just an undersubscribed course). Seen as I'm predicted As/Bs, i can relax a bit.

Abigail
13-01-2007, 19:16
my friend di the bilogy one as well. She was learning all about the leaf structure and blood cells. Dont know which module that was.
We didn't do that one. I think its our next module. I regret doing biology so much...

Katy
14-01-2007, 11:12
I've discovered that Southampton only needs 180 points, which is 3 D's (This isn't a reflection on the university, it's just an undersubscribed course). Seen as I'm predicted As/Bs, i can relax a bit.

Well thats all right then. Im not to bothered about general studies but i want to do ok as its a bit of a back up isnt it. Just incase i fail another one.

I hate january exams as well. Its like who revises over christmas.

Abigail
14-01-2007, 13:12

Well thats all right then. Im not to bothered about general studies but i want to do ok as its a bit of a back up isnt it. Just incase i fail another one.

I hate january exams as well. Its like who revises over christmas.

I didn't bother revising over xmas, I did it a few days before my exams.
After all the work we have to do before xmas then they expect us to revise over xmas.
My teachers said "you can have xmas day, boxing day and new year's day off, then you should revise for the rest of the holidays!"

Tori
14-01-2007, 13:36
I revised towards the end of the holidays, started on NY's Day and have been since but now i have no motivation. the exam is tomorrow and i'm really nervous already so i'm gonna go out this afternoon and relax [hopefully!]

Crazy Gal 88
14-01-2007, 13:57
wow bondboffin - someone else who does critical thinking - its like unheard of!!!lol

im also doing english and business studies - i did do french but i dropped it! i have 3 exams really soon and im sooooooo scared!!!

di marco
14-01-2007, 15:34
wow bondboffin - someone else who does critical thinking - its like unheard of!!!lol

my sis does critical thinking too, whereas i did general studies. i heard that critical thinking is a fairly newish thing to do instead of general studies thats why not many places do it yet

Katy
14-01-2007, 19:29
i know i just missed critical thinking, they brought it in for the new lower 6th instead of Key Skills.

Abigail
14-01-2007, 19:57
Does anybody here do key skills? I really don't see the point in it cos its just like writing a comparisson essay, highlighting things and a presentation. We did all that in GCSE english

Whats critical thinking?

Katy
15-01-2007, 15:49
i did key skills last year, but the college have got rid of it and introduced critical thinking, which i have heard is a bit like the LNAT Test and involves comparing and analysing. I dont do it though.

The general studies Science Module was so hard. I have never seen so many words i didnt understand all on one paper in my life. I hope that the culture module went better to balance it out. I felt better after that one as it was something i understood, the arguments for and against banning religious symbols in schools.

Abi
29-01-2007, 17:27
I just got the Exam Timetable today. Ive only ot 4 exams, and 2 of them are on the same day. Both my English modules are in the morning (3 hours), then my 2 Geography Modules are in the afternoon (3 hours again). So i've got 6 hours of exams on one day...

My politics exam is after the Half Term though, which is good. I dont have any coursework with that subject, so i need to do a ton of revision of all we've done, so its good to have an extra week to just revise that, and nothing else.

And theres too many coursework deadlines this week!!! Argh!

Katy
29-01-2007, 17:37
Which exams are these for Abi.

I had a coursework deadline today its so not going to be met.

Abi
29-01-2007, 17:38
My AS exams in May/June, Katy :)

Katy
30-01-2007, 15:47
oh right, we dont get ours till like a week before. They try and not freak us out i think. Yourll be fine with them. My teacher said we should already be revising. I dont think so. I wait till at least a month beofre otherwise ill just forget again.

Abigail
10-02-2007, 21:58
This is a question for those doing AS biology. We're starting coursework and mine is on Daphnia (water flea). I have no idea what to investigate. I've googled it and I can't really find any ideas on what to do. Everybody has to do a different coursework so I can't ask anybody.
I've also looked at pictures of daphnia and they're just disgusting. I could choose a different coursework but the rest are on enzymes or carbohydrates, both of which I'm not confident on.
Anybody got any ideas on what I could look at?

di marco
14-02-2007, 18:10
This is a question for those doing AS biology. We're starting coursework and mine is on Daphnia (water flea). I have no idea what to investigate. I've googled it and I can't really find any ideas on what to do. Everybody has to do a different coursework so I can't ask anybody.
I've also looked at pictures of daphnia and they're just disgusting. I could choose a different coursework but the rest are on enzymes or carbohydrates, both of which I'm not confident on.
Anybody got any ideas on what I could look at?

sorry i dont know, when i did mine i did some sort of enzyme experiment and didnt do very well so im probably not the best person to ask lol! does your school/college not have any books you can look in, thats what we did?

Katy
15-02-2007, 14:14
argh !!!!!! coursework, due in tomorrow, only just started it, I Have sooo Failed !!!!! Its all my own fault though. I just cant motivate myself, Luckily its the first draft.

Abigail
16-02-2007, 03:17
I don't ******* belive that! I just typed out my post and it's just deleted it all. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I can't remember what I wrote now.

I've got a mini-test thing in physics on Kirchhoff's laws on Wednesday. I just know I'm going to fail. I've had a lot going on this week and I know it just won't happen. At least I have a teacher that knows about my problems at the mo. Only trouble is, he thinks my problems are his problems and he's forever finding ways of trying to talk to me when I look glum. Oh well, guess I can't have it both ways...

Still stuck on the bio coursework. I've nicked a few ideas that have already been used in recent years but I doubt I'll be able to use them. I hate coursework so much.

I hate all my subjects, I just don't know why I chose them. I took business cos I thought it was easy. I fall asleep cos its so boring. Biology looked ok on paper but its so damn hard trying to get my head round some of the concepts. Physics is just something else. I enjoy it and understand it but I just can't find the answers in the exam.

Anyway, I knackered now so I'm going to stop moaning and go to bed.

Katy
16-02-2007, 14:50
i was having a moan today as well. My Law exam is on my 18th birthday Grrrr.

Abigail
16-02-2007, 14:56
Awful having exams on birthdays,especially special ones like 18th. I always manage to mess them up.

Katy
16-02-2007, 15:09
I know, i had a GCSE on my 16th, it always seems to fall on an exam.

Abigail
27-02-2007, 22:51
I have a slight problem.

For my key skills presentation my teacher said it would be good if I could download a video on my subject. I can find videos on the official James Bond website but it's taking about 30mins to stream a 2 minute clip. I would have thought with 16 servers it would have only taken a few mins but there you go.

Youtube is blocked so I can't download one from there. I want to watch the video before I download it so I know I've got a decent one.

I could download it at home but I can't get it to school because I only have a 1gb memory card and it will probably be too big.

So what I was wondering was, do you know of any sites other than youtube that I can download a video (legally) from that aren't very well known?

Abi
27-02-2007, 22:54
Have you tried streaming it at school yet? Because sometimes when you've done it once, it does it really quickly the next time.

Abigail
27-02-2007, 22:56
Yeah, it was taking forever so I gave up. It took about 10 mins to stream 30seconds.

Abi
27-02-2007, 22:59
Is Putfile blocked?

Try downloading it at home and uploading it to there. Its pretty reliable, but blocked at some schools, depending on how strict your school is. If it does work, then it should be pretty quick at streaming.

Abigail
27-02-2007, 23:00
What's putfile?
It's probably blocked at my school. If it isn't, it will be once I've been on it.

Abi
27-02-2007, 23:03
http://www.putfile.com/

If you can download your video at home, then upload it to there, then it should work :)

Abigail
27-02-2007, 23:05
Thanks, I'll try it, hope it works :)

Katy
28-02-2007, 17:19
one week till january results, is everyone scared.

Kim
28-02-2007, 17:24
Search a proxy on google at home, write down a load and take them into school. At least one should work at your school, so you can try some video sites that are blocked.

Abigail
28-02-2007, 19:54
What's a proxy? How does it work?

Abigail
28-02-2007, 19:57

Yes and no. I know I've most likely failed mine so I'm not too worried what I get. I'll just have to resit in June. But then I am worried that I'll be disappointed when I get the results.

Kim
28-02-2007, 22:28

It's some kind of website that has a URL bar on the bottom of it, so you type the address of the site that is blocked into that, and it bypasses the filters.

Abigail
28-02-2007, 22:51
Thank you. I've got a list without "proxy" in the url as they will most likely be filtered out and banned.

Hopefully it'l work :)

Katy
01-03-2007, 16:42

Yes and no. I know I've most likely failed mine so I'm not too worried what I get. I'll just have to resit in June. But then I am worried that I'll be disappointed when I get the results.
im quite worried. My mate was saying to day she reckons there will be tears when people find out they have passed general studies. Ir we fail we dont have to continue the course you see.
I dont want to let any of my teachers down as they have been really helpful, i just think that i might have somehow.

Abigail
02-03-2007, 21:00

It's some kind of website that has a URL bar on the bottom of it, so you type the address of the site that is blocked into that, and it bypasses the filters.

Got a list of 10 proxies, took them into school and thought I was gona beat the IT Techies. As usual, they were one step ahead and had already banned them along with keywords on search engines. I tried unknown search engines and that got blocked as well. So now I'm peeved that my master plan was scuppered by ruddy IT technicians.

I got my exam entries today. I have 16 exams in May/June. I got entered for the three modules and key skills I did in Jan so if I pass those then I'll only have 12 to do. I was only expecting to do 6 but everybody has got general studies down (nobody has studied this) and I've got critical thinking too, which I've not studied either. I got landed with it because my head of 6th was talking to my mate about his CT exam and I was curious so I was looking at the exam paper. She must have though I was interested in it so she asked if I wanted to be entered. She said it would be a good idea seeing as I'm only doing 3 AS. I haven't got a clue what it's about.

I've got 6 exams on one day, 3 biology in the morning and 3 business studies in the aft. All the subjects seem to be crammed into one session.

Now I've got my timetable I'm really hoping I've passed now. I don't want to resit any now.

Abi
02-03-2007, 21:56
16 exams?! :eek: I've only got 4, and 2 of them are on the same day. Its the Friday before Half Term as well. All of them have 3 modules though, so i guess its 12 modular exams, but i only physically go in 4 times.

And one of them is my ICT exam, which is on a computer, so that doesn't really count, lol!

Abigail
02-03-2007, 22:02
I have 3 exams on the day study leave begins then the rest are when I go back. First day back I have 6! I won't finish until after 4pm. Really not looking forward to them.

At least I don't need to revise for general studies, key skills and critical thinking. I should really start soon on my other subjects though otherwise I really will fail them.

Katy
04-03-2007, 10:49
I worked out that I have 8 without resits.
Thats 3 general Studies, 2 Law, 1 psychology and 2 geography.
Plus the Law exam is on my 18th birthday. Im gutted.

Abigail
04-03-2007, 12:01
I've got 3 Biology, 3 Physics, 3 Business studies, 1 key skills, 3 gen studies and 3 critical thinking.
I won't be resitting key skills, thats just a waste of time. If I pass the ones I did in Jan (which I won't because I was ill on the day) I'll have 13 to do.
I'm already fretting about the day I have 6. Six hours in an exam room, no break and about 30 mins for dinner.

I'm really nervous about Thursday now.

Abigail
06-03-2007, 09:42
I told my tutor yesterday about having 6 exams on one day and she said theres a maximum you're allowed to do and if you have more than that you have to sleep at a teacher's house so they can supervise you so you don't cheat :eek: :eek: :eek: Then you do the exams the next day.

I'm praying that I've passed my biology and business studies. Hopefully 4 is the maximum. I really don't want to spend the night at a teacher's house.

Really nervous about it now.

Katy
06-03-2007, 14:46
lol, we have that at our college and its the principles house you have to stay at. It all depends on Clashes.

Tori
06-03-2007, 15:23
i haven't got my exam timetable yet (thankfully!) but i get my geog result back on thursday and i'm really not looking forward to it, but i have other mocks to do before then so that should keep me preoccupied!! im really worried though because my teacher said he'd be disappointed if i didn't get an A so argh!!! but i should only have like 6 in the summer

Andy'sLuckyPony
06-03-2007, 15:57
Exam results for the resits and the early exams ar eback this week.

>_<

dreading it.

Abigail
06-03-2007, 16:46
2 more sleeps til we find out :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

It's nothing to do with exam clashes on my timetable, it's something to do with the maximum number of exam hours you're allowed in a day.

I'm hoping for a miracle

Abi
06-03-2007, 18:37
My mate stayed in school for 11 hours doing his Biology Experiment, for his coursework, from 8am to 7pm, with 2 10 mins break- is that too much? :lol:

Abigail
08-03-2007, 10:15
11 hours doing bio coursework?? I couldn't do that.

I'm doing bio cwk on effect of ethanol on the heart rate of daphnia. Every time I put them under a microscope in just the water they were living in, they die. I'm getting really frustrated with it.

Physics cwk isn't much better. Yesterday I had to tie a piece of thin constantan wire to a boss and clamp. Easier said than done, it kept falling off. Then two of the voltmeters blew when I put them in my circuit. Worst of all, we aren't allowed to help each other, not even to attatch the wire to the boss and clamp or record results. Nobody had a clue what we were doing.

I get my exam results in an hour and I'm so scared. I keep having dreams that my friend gets 3 A's and one B and I get U's.

Abigail
08-03-2007, 12:17
Failed everything. An E in business studies and U's in biology and physics :crying: :crying: :crying:
I passed key skills though but that's nothing to shout about. Needed less than half marks to pass.

My tutor said it's unwise to do 6 exams in one day and she suggested that I don't resit business studies.

I can't believe I failed everything. Seems like dreams do come true.

Tori
08-03-2007, 14:54
I got a C in geography, 1/2 marks off a B. Very angry and i might resit, but then again if i work really hard i could achieve an A overall this year

Katy
09-03-2007, 14:25
C in General Studies, plus 100% in one of the modules.
C in Psychology - teachers getting a centre remark, but i think thats not to bad. If i get 2 Bs in June then i can still get an A overall !:)
E in Law - oops, managed to avoid the teacher for two days, apparently crying may help :angry:
D in Geography Skills - happy as got a U first time round
A in geography coursework.

Well done everyone else .
Apparently lots of tears yesterday so i m kind of glad i wasnt in.

Bryan
09-03-2007, 19:53
A in Media, B in film, C in english and D in Critical Thinking.

I'd predicted myself 3 bs and a low grade for CT, so quite pleased with my results, a bit disapointed with English but I only missed B by a few marks so not too bad.

Katy
10-03-2007, 15:40
Well done BB, thats really good. You did well in critical thinking most people i know got Us not too sure whether it was intentional.

The A in medias, brilliant.

Abigail
10-03-2007, 20:13
What was the critical thinking like? I've got 3 exams for it in June and I have no idea what it's about.

Katy
12-03-2007, 16:07
I tink its an exam where you have to write critically and analyse cases, such as ethics, moralty, etc. Have you tried the exam board website to get a specification that may help.

Abigail
13-03-2007, 20:37
I tink its an exam where you have to write critically and analyse cases, such as ethics, moralty, etc. Have you tried the exam board website to get a specification that may help.

I looked at the exam board website at some of the papers. Paper two looked ok, multiple choice questions and one word answers. Paper one looked awful, it was all long answers which I hate.

I'm resitting some exams next Jan because it's less pressure.

I'm really not looking forward to parents evening on Monday. One of my business studies teachers had a go at me yesterday because I don't hand much homework in. On the few times that he set homework I wasn't there because I was ill, but he thinks I'm faking being ill (I'm not, I can't help having an illness). Don't know why he's having a go at me for attendance, he doesn't turn up at least 3 times a month.
One of my biology teachers is really nice but he likes to go over the same things again and again. He gave me the biology paper I sat in Jan (and failed) and told me to fill it in and give him it back so he can assess where I've gone wrong. None of my other teachers have done that, they just accepted that I failed and offered me help for June.

Started physics coursework last week and it's winding me up. Trying to attatch a thin piece of wire taught to a clamp is nigh on impossible.

Katy
14-03-2007, 16:50
Me and Physics never got on.

Paid fo rmy resit today and as it was the deadline before the price goes up the queue was all the way down the corridor.

Abigail
14-03-2007, 17:46
You have to pay for resits? As far as I know we don't have to.

Abi
14-03-2007, 23:23
How close are the exams now?

My ICT exam is on the 22nd May (Not too worried about that- its on the computer, so its mainly common sense, and only worth 1/3 overall). My Geography and English Literature exams are on the 25th May (Dreading that day..), and my Politics exam is on the 5th of June. I'm pleased i've only got 4 though, some people have loads...

Katy
15-03-2007, 07:13
It scary, our teachers keep telling us theres only 5 teaching weeks left. How weird is that !!! I cant believe it.

Ill have to get my exact timetable. Been revising loads recently. My new plan, is A3 mindmaps in a big folder. Hope this method works. Oh and also just writing everything i can remember from memory then seeing what i missed out.

Abigail
15-03-2007, 15:55
14th May - gen studies
18th May - 3 critical thinking
21st May - 2 gen studies
4th June - 3 biology and 2 business studies
9th June 3 physics.

I think I've got 8 weeks until my first exam. I've got a few extra weeks until my main, more important exams. Seeing as there's not much to revise for gen studies and critical thinking I can devote all my time to my main subjects.

It's parents evening on Monday and I'm dreading it. I know my teachers are going to go on about my exam results and how much better I could've done.

Abi
21-03-2007, 23:05
We do this thing in my Politics Class which means that we dont have to watch the news every single week, where 1 person does a presentation per week on the news of the week before. Normally you just go onto the BBC website, and it takes 10 minutes to do. I just checked on the list we got from the beginning of the year, and trust me to get this week- I've got to report on the bloody budget!! Do you know how huge that is?! Theres so much stuff... argh!!

Trust me to get that one :rotfl:

English coursework nearly over though :cheer:

Abigail
22-03-2007, 12:23
We do this thing in my Politics Class which means that we dont have to watch the news every single week, where 1 person does a presentation per week on the news of the week before. Normally you just go onto the BBC website, and it takes 10 minutes to do. I just checked on the list we got from the beginning of the year, and trust me to get this week- I've got to report on the bloody budget!! Do you know how huge that is?! Theres so much stuff... argh!!

Trust me to get that one :rotfl:

English coursework nearly over though :cheer:

This year's budget was interesting. You could maybe talk about the 2p drop in income tax. That has to be recouped somewhere and I haven't yet figured out where, considering all the other things he's promising more money on.

Has anybody started revising yet? I ment to start yesterday but I wasn't really in the mood after doing 3hrs of physics practicle coursework.

Abigail
28-03-2007, 22:08
Mega stressed.
Got my whole physics coursework to type up for Friday! Only got a deadline today and I haven't even started. I haven't done my conclusion and analysis either. Got biology coursework to do as well and thats just p***ing me off.

I wouldn't mind if the physics and biology courseworks followed the same plan but biology has to be so much detailed, everything has to be justified, even equipment, whereas physics you don't have to justify anything except the conclusion.

Good job I have the day off tomorrow otherwise I'd be up all night trying to write it up.

Need to start revising as well. I got some revision cards off ebay so I can carry them with me wherever I go.

Abi
28-03-2007, 22:29
I'm going to do some mega work over easter. My English Coursework is due tomorrow though, so it means i get it out of the way. The maximum word limit for 2 essays is 2000 words altogether (Nearly impossible to do, when theres about 5 AOs for each essay), and mine is 1997 words altogether- cutting it a bit fine, lol!

Politics is my worst subject though, because its purely exam. So i have to do mega revision, and do loads of research on the internet over the holidays about past elections, that i can add into the exam. So thats going to take ages... great..

Only 3 weeks left of lessons before exams... *sob*

Abigail
28-03-2007, 22:33
Only 3 weeks left of lessons before exams... *sob*

When do your exams start? My first one isn't til 18th May which is the day our study leave starts. I think we have 5 weeks of lessons after easter.

Abi
28-03-2007, 22:39
My first one is on the 22nd, but we've been told we have 3-4 weeks left untill we go on study leave. Sometimes they give us a week or so, and sometimes we go straight into them...depends how my head of year feels, lol

Abigail
05-04-2007, 20:35
Just started to look at UCAS/uni prospectuses again seeing as the new ones are being sent out around now. I don't know whether to go straight to uni from finishing 6th form or to taake a year out and get a job and save a bit of money to go travelling after uni.

I don't want to defer, I really want to get stuck into something new but I think I need a year out to relax and not do much. Can't decide what to do.

UCAS seem to have a few more courses than last time I looked. I want to do Crime Scene Investigation and there's a course close to that at Canterbury Christ Church Uni. This is going to sound silly but is it a religious uni? I'm completly against religion (not meaning to offend anyone here) and I don't think I could go there if it were a religious uni. It seems to be relativly easy to get into, 2 A-level passes and 3 GCSE's C or above for most courses.

Abi
05-04-2007, 20:38
Thats one of the uni's i've been looking at!! Its CoE, but you dont have to be religious to go there, and they dont force you to convert, i dont think. Anyone of any faith can go there, apparently. One of my friends goes there, and says its really good.

Abigail
05-04-2007, 20:53
Oh jolly good then, I will consider it. The couse looks really good although the its your bog-standard 3 years Hons degree whereas Teesside is a 3yr Hons degree or a 4 year Hons sandwich degree so I'd be guaranteed a paid placement in my third year and the strong possibility of a job offer at the end of the course.

Don't you need something like 6 choices to put down on the UCAS form? I'm gona have to get finding some uni's that do the course, I only know of two.

Abigail
23-04-2007, 16:41
I'm really stressed. I've got two pieces of coursework to do for Friday and neither are finished. My first exams are in 4 weeks and it doesn't look like we're going to finish the biology course in time due to stupid bank holidays and teacher training days. I started some revision yesterday and it took me 4hrs to do half a biology unit. Have a critical thinking mock to do for tomorrow and I haven't started it yet. Thank god it's only multiple choice.

Got a prospectus for Canterbury and it looks really good. It doesn't have much info in except the courses and the campuses but the course looks good. When do the new prospectuses come out? I order the 2008 ones about a month ago and I haven't got any yet.

Abigail
23-04-2007, 16:41
Ooops double post...............

Katy
23-04-2007, 16:56
i'm not to sure when the 2008 ones come out, I know MMU and Salford are in our college library for next year. The 2007 ones are pretty simular and give you a feel for the place. You have he right ideal looking now, i left it really late.

Abi
25-04-2007, 21:39
I just thought i'd give some advice to anyone on here that might be doing AS Geography on Edexcel :)

I went to a Geography Conference in London today, ran by Sue Warn, who does the exam papers. She is known for dropping a lot of hints about what is in the exam paper, in these conferences.

Anyway, the main hints we got were these; Changing CBDs. She hinted that regeneration is going to be te key, as well, with the CBD fighting back against Out of Town shopping centres. So Dudley is a great example of that, because of the centre having to fight against Merry Hill. And Birmingham in general having to regenerate and fight back against the internet

The Rural-Urban Continum, what it is, and what characteristics it has

CONFLICTS. With everything. Rural conflicts, with development, secnd home owners etc. Urban conflicts, with development. Coastal conflicts, with how to manage coastal defences. And river conflicts, with how to manage river defences. So basically, the conflicts in the whole course. They said its not enough to just mention what the conflicts are, but you have to name the groups as well. E.g. Conservationists would be in favour of Afforestation on Rivers, to prevent floods, but against Channelisation. Whereas residents might be more for channelisation, but against Afforestation, as it could ruin their views etc (Very bad example, i know, but you get the point :p )

Sustainable river and coastal options as well

So yeah, i thought i'd share those hints with some other people. Only about 1000 people went to the conference, so its only fair a few people who couldn't get to London can pick up on the hints as well. Of course, they could be red herrings, but at least it gives a bit of focus to the revision, which is good, i think.

Tori
26-04-2007, 15:48
thanks for those Abi, i hadn't heard abut that one, i wonder if there'll be one in Manchester. I did a mock related to that today, regeneration covering those kinds of things so i'll see how that goes.

Katy
26-04-2007, 16:23
I do the AQA exam board for geog and Urban Regeneration and the CBD fights back is one of the modules we do. I don't really like it theres too much to remember. I am alright on the Manchestercase studies but the rest is beyond me. Its pretty technical.

I did 3 hours revision today, 1 hour Law, 1 hour human Geog and 1 hour physical Geog, Glaciers i hate them. I was really chuffed with myself.

Abigail
27-04-2007, 22:07
Not long until my main exams now, less than 4 weeks for bio & business and 5 weeks for physics. I'm getting worried now, didn't realise they were so close.

Got general studies and critical thinking in 2 weeks. Key skills portfolio to finish off before study leave in 2 weeks which is only half done.

Did my physics coursework and handed it into my teacher today. He asked if it went ok and I said I'd missed one little bit out because I couldn't do it so he gave me it back and told me to hand it in on Monday. Just another thing I have to do this weekend. Bio coursework due in on Monday and it's nowhere near finished. Need to do some serious revision as well.

I hae this time of year. I don't know why we're doing coursework at this time of the year when exams are coming up when we could have done it September time and not had to rush it and cram in revision.

di marco
04-05-2007, 19:25
i know this is a bit of a late reply, but to whoever was asking about 2008 prospectuses (cant remember now lol!) but i think they will probably come out around july time as i think that was when the new ones came out when i was looking at unis. hope that helps

good luck to everyone with their exams :)

Abigail
04-05-2007, 21:44
Thanks DM. I know some of them have come out already, my school have got a few. One of the ones that I sent off for has arrived at school but I haven't got my copy yet (sent off for it a month ago).

Got all my coursework done and handed in so thats one less thing to worry about. Exams start in 9 days :eek: Good job we've got Monday off cos I'm behind with my revision.

Katy
05-05-2007, 15:57
me as well, i love bank holidays. Mine start on the 12th June. Im absolutly bricking it.

Abigail
06-05-2007, 17:04
Got my first general studies AS next week (don't know which paper, think its about 60-90mins) and I have absolutly no idea what it's about or what sort of questions they are. I know there's lots of sections, including a language bit. We haven't been asked yet which language we want to do and I'm a bit worried in case I get french cos I can't remember anything. Nobody has been through the paper with us and we don't have any lessons on it.

Is there any good sites for biology, physics and business studies revision, apart from the bbc?

I'd better go do some more revision :thumbsdow