PDA

View Full Version : Power stations

chance
16-04-2006, 21:27
Should we build more nuclear power stations?

Campaigners say renewable sources can play a bigger part
Energy Minister Malcolm Wicks has accused a group of MPs of "over-egging" the risk of electricity shortages.
The Commons Environmental Audit Committee had warned the UK cannot wait for a new generation of nuclear power stations and needed gas-fired stations.

A government energy review this year is expected to request more nuclear power.

Mr Wicks, who leads the review, said no decision had been taken but the extra cost of cleaner energy like nuclear was a price to pay for saving the planet.

Speaking on BBC's Radio Five Live, he said there were concerns about what do with nuclear waste and the threat of terror attacks on nuclear stations.

'Generation gap'

But he added: "I think in favour of nuclear - despite what the Lib Dems say - is the scientific evidence that nuclear is a cleaner form of energy.

"It helps us with climate change, but we've got to look at the economics, and then we've got to weigh all these things before we make our recommendation to the prime minister and the government."

Earlier the committee said the UK faced a "generation gap" which nuclear power could not bridge.

Cornishbabe
16-04-2006, 23:08
NO NO and NO

nuclear power does not produce Co2 but it produces other harmful watse plus the whol decomisioning time of almost 2000 years.

CrazyLea
17-04-2006, 17:19
Are they like Texaco and stuff? (ignore my blondeness)
If so, then no. I think they're dangerous and just ugly to look at. Couple of years back, by me, Texaco blew up, luckily it didn't kill no one, but if it was a bigger explosion it could have. There's so many around my area. grr. lol.

Cornishbabe
17-04-2006, 18:27
Are they like Texaco and stuff? (ignore my blondeness)
If so, then no. I think they're dangerous and just ugly to look at. Couple of years back, by me, Texaco blew up, luckily it didn't kill no one, but if it was a bigger explosion it could have. There's so many around my area. grr. lol.

no nuclear power stations are like chenobil and when they blow up its really really bad. They may not blow up that oftern but they still have huge environmnetal consequneces when they do

dddMac1
18-04-2006, 13:26
somthing has to be done but i don't like the idea of windfarms