PDA

View Full Version : Gene Pitney

Chloe O'brien
05-04-2006, 12:11
Just heard on the radion at 12 noon today that singer Gene Pitney has been found dead in his hotel room this morning. The singer who is 65 is currently in the UK doing a tour. There is no news yet on his cause of death but I will update this thread as soon as I hear more

alkalinetrio
05-04-2006, 12:22
i heard that on this morning never knew who he was

willow
05-04-2006, 15:50
flipping heck thats a shock, hopefully nothing sinister has happened

Jojo
05-04-2006, 15:51
Singer Gene Pitney has died in the middle of his UK tour, his agent said.

The 65-year-old American star was found dead just after 10am at the Hilton Hotel in Cardiff.

His 40-year career included the hits Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa and Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart.

A spokesman for South Wales Police said: "We've had a report of a death. It is not believed to be suspicious. We had the call just before 10.10am. The body, which has not been formally identified yet, was found at the Hilton Hotel in Cardiff."

Pitney played St David's Hall in Cardiff on Tuesday night and was due to perform in Bristol on Wednesday night.

In an interview at Christmas he spoke of his excitement at taking his show around the UK on a 23-date tour which was due to end later this month.

He denied it was a gruelling schedule, saying: "I take care of myself. I can finish up the tour no problem whatsoever. I love doing what I'm doing - to pick and choose where I want to go and what I want to do."

Mark Howes, of Pitney's management company In Touch Music, said the singer was found dead in his bed by his tour manager.

Pitney rose to fame in the Sixties and was introduced to a new generation of fans in 1989 when he duetted with Marc Almond on Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart. The single gave Pitney his first UK number one - 22 years after its first release.

He had 11 top 10 hits in this country including That Girl Belongs To Yesterday and Looking Thru The Eyes of Love.

Xx-Vicky-xX
05-04-2006, 16:01
Singer Gene Pitney has died in the middle of his UK tour, his agent said.

The 65-year-old American star was found dead just after 10am at the Hilton Hotel in Cardiff.

His 40-year career included the hits Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa and Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart.

A spokesman for South Wales Police said: "We've had a report of a death. It is not believed to be suspicious. We had the call just before 10.10am. The body, which has not been formally identified yet, was found at the Hilton Hotel in Cardiff."

Pitney played St David's Hall in Cardiff on Tuesday night and was due to perform in Bristol on Wednesday night.

In an interview at Christmas he spoke of his excitement at taking his show around the UK on a 23-date tour which was due to end later this month.

He denied it was a gruelling schedule, saying: "I take care of myself. I can finish up the tour no problem whatsoever. I love doing what I'm doing - to pick and choose where I want to go and what I want to do."

Mark Howes, of Pitney's management company In Touch Music, said the singer was found dead in his bed by his tour manager.

Pitney rose to fame in the Sixties and was introduced to a new generation of fans in 1989 when he duetted with Marc Almond on Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart. The single gave Pitney his first UK number one - 22 years after its first release.

He had 11 top 10 hits in this country including That Girl Belongs To Yesterday and Looking Thru The Eyes of Love.

I thought he was already dead but i guess not...i love that song twenty four hours from tulsa...what a shame he died

Siobhan
05-04-2006, 16:02
I thought he was already dead but i guess not...i love that song twenty four hours from tulsa...what a shame he died

I love that song too and I love the one he did with Marc Almond.. sad to see him go, I am sure my mum will be upset

Xx-Vicky-xX
05-04-2006, 16:06
I only know the twenty four hours from tulsa one by him and thats only because it comes on my pc alot but i do like it wonder what he died from

Daisyduck
05-04-2006, 18:58
I grow up with gene pitney in the sixties,and was one of his biggest fans, ah what a shame he has gone,he has joined alot of other good stars like Dusty Springfield,another one of my favourites. :crying: