PDA

View Full Version : writing letters?

shannisrules
03-04-2006, 21:30
im really confused i need to write a letter but im confused:

i though that in teh top right corner you write the other persons adress and a bit lower down on the left hand side you write your address but in my english book i have it the other way round? :searchme:

Abi
03-04-2006, 21:54
I do it the other way, so it looks like this...

Abi
14 Soapboards Website Road
The Internet
My House

Fred Bloggs
13 Somewhere Lane
Nowhere town
IJ7 9IK

Dear Mr Bloggs....

So my address is on the right, and the other is below on the left.

Does that make any sense what-so-ever?!

shannisrules
03-04-2006, 21:57
yeh thanks really helped with you writing it out is that how your supposed to do it does it matter?

Abi
03-04-2006, 21:59
I dont think it exactly matters, but its what people expect, so if you dont do it, then it wont look as professional or whatever, and wont be taken as seriously i guess.

I think theres another way of writing their address at the bottom or something, but thats the one i was told to do when i was at work experience, so i'd do it like i said if i were you.

Kim
03-04-2006, 23:10
yeh thanks really helped with you writing it out is that how your supposed to do it does it matter?

According to my english teacher, you must do it like that for any exam in which you may have to write a letter, so I think it does. She even had a go at me for putting the date one line too low.

Jojo
03-04-2006, 23:25
If you worked in an office etc, that is how the text is laid out - your own name/address top right, the receivers name/address further down on left, date underneath, then Dear..... etc

Spacing is generally normal line spacing then 2 returns from the receivers address to the date line, then 2 returns from the date line to Dear.....

samantha nixon
04-04-2006, 08:37
also people do it how abi has as if your sending the letter of then you can fold it and then you dont have to write the address on the envelope as you can see it

Jojo
04-04-2006, 09:52
Three fold it - if its standard a4, folded equally will do this - I usually enure the receivers address starts about 8-10 "returns" from the top of the page if thats makes sense..