PDA

View Full Version : implants

chance
25-03-2006, 23:33
Has anyone else had the contraception implant done?

About Implants:

The implant is a prescription birth control method that offers prolonged protection against pregnancy. The implant contains a single hormone - a progestin - which stops ovulation and/or changes the cervical mucus thereby preventing pregnancy.

What does it look like?

The implant consists of one or six match-sized plastic rods which your family physician or gynecologist inserts under the skin of your upper arm, using a local anesthetic. The rods release a constant dose of a hormone, progestin, thereby protecting against pregnancy. A modern alternative consists of only one rod and is inserted by means of a specially designed disposable applicator.

How effective are they?

The implant is considered to be the most effective form of contraception available. Once in place it lasts for a period of three to five years. During that time it provides 99.8% or even more protection against unintended pregnancy.

Im thinking about having it done as im crap at taking the pill and i dont want any accidents,has anyone else tried it?

Jojo
25-03-2006, 23:42
I have had it Chance - it was what i used prior to having Liam...

I had a singular rod inserted in my upper arm - anything in particular you want to know??

chance
26-03-2006, 11:10
so is it just inserted in your arm and left there until you decide you want to have another kiddy etc? or do you have to have a new one every now and then etc..?

Does it hurt and do you have to go to hospital to have it inserted?

twinkle_eyes83
26-03-2006, 19:15
thats what i wanted after paige but the nurse at the family planning was not there when i was due to have it done so i ended up with the coil i just wantesd to get it over and done with

willow
26-03-2006, 21:27
i have had a couple of friends that have had the implants, they raved about them!!
i have got the mirina coil and it is fab, but another one of my friends had one and it kind of well...........slipped and she had to have it removed....twice!!!!!!

twinkle_eyes83
26-03-2006, 21:37
snap willow i have the samr as you i had it once befor after i had my little boy but it dell out but this one has been fine touch wood lol

willow
26-03-2006, 21:45
mine has been great the best thing i have ever had!!! but my friend who had problems is really unlucky with contracepion, she can't take the pill as it sends her a bit mad, 2 coils fell out, she is allergic to latex so can't use most condoms!!! (except really expensive ones!!) i rwally feel sorry for her (well more for her poor boyfriend who is going for the snip soon!!!!!)

Jojo
26-03-2006, 22:13
so is it just inserted in your arm and left there until you decide you want to have another kiddy etc? or do you have to have a new one every now and then etc..?

Does it hurt and do you have to go to hospital to have it inserted?I had mine inserted into my upper right arm, but you can have it in your left if you prefer. I was able to have mine done at my GP's as they do minor surgeries there, but family planning clinics do it awell. They stay in for 3 years and are then replaced, or you have them removed earlier if you were gonna have another baby etc..mine was great and the best bit was being able to put my hubby off of wanting it by showing him both ends of the implant from under the skin!!! :rotfl:

Em
26-03-2006, 22:21
I had mine inserted into my upper right arm, but you can have it in your left if you prefer. I was able to have mine done at my GP's as they do minor surgeries there, but family planning clinics do it awell. They stay in for 3 years and are then replaced, or you have them removed earlier if you were gonna have another baby etc..mine was great and the best bit was being able to put my hubby off of wanting it by showing him both ends of the implant from under the skin!!! :rotfl:

Mine is in my left arm, and it was the best thing I ever did ! no more pills every day! The other great thing is mine is due out when my nex smear is due so i wont forget!

I have no side effects and the best thing is no periods!! yeah!!

Jojo
26-03-2006, 22:25
Mine is in my left arm, and it was the best thing I ever did ! no more pills every day! The other great thing is mine is due out when my nex smear is due so i wont forget!

I have no side effects and the best thing is no periods!! yeah!!I was the same Em and you've no worries about remembering to take your pill or anything like that - totally fantastic! I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of having one...

Luna
26-03-2006, 23:04
my doctors refuse to do it and the family planning clinic it's the injection or nothing

Jojo
26-03-2006, 23:13
my doctors refuse to do it and the family planning clinic it's the injection or nothingI know when i had it fitted my dr told me its still quite expensive for them, so they only like to fit it when they know you are going to keep it for the full 3 years

tasha_hopkins
26-03-2006, 23:18
im thinking of having it but im really scared of it hurting going in and coming out. Also what if u bang it my friend got one and its seems really thin can it snap if u bang it?

Jojo
26-03-2006, 23:23
im thinking of having it but im really scared of it hurting going in and coming out. Also what if u bang it my friend got one and its seems really thin can it snap if u bang it?you have it inserted and removed under a local anaesthetic and its really bendy, so wont snap. The only thing you have to watch is during the first month, I tried to do too much and pulled a lot of the scar tissue whilst it was still forming - otherwise it just feels the same as having a tetanus jab or something similar

Jojo
26-03-2006, 23:24
im thinking of having it but im really scared of it hurting going in and coming out. Also what if u bang it my friend got one and its seems really thin can it snap if u bang it?you have it inserted and removed under a local anaesthetic and its really bendy, so wont snap. The only thing you have to watch is during the first month, I tried to do too much and pulled a lot of the scar tissue whilst it was still forming - otherwise it just feels the same as having a tetanus jab or something similar

chance
27-03-2006, 11:28
Got a app on fri with my doc to ask them for it,i cant ever remember to take the pill and i defo dont want any accidents.I will definaltley want to keep it in for the full 3 years.

Em
27-03-2006, 11:34
my doctors refuse to do it and the family planning clinic it's the injection or nothing

I had the injection for 5 years, and then my family planning clinic refused to give me it again. New reasearch shows links with osteoperosis (sp) and the injection, my clinic told me they werent putting anyone else on it unless they had to, and that would be for a maximum of 1 year.

hence my implant!

Jojo
27-03-2006, 14:11
Got a app on fri with my doc to ask them for it,i cant ever remember to take the pill and i defo dont want any accidents.I will definaltley want to keep it in for the full 3 years.Hope they do them for you, or if not are able to refer you to where you can get it - it is brilliant! No more popping of pills etc..will keep my fingers crossed :D

Skits
27-03-2006, 14:18
do you put on loads of weight with it or is that the injection one?

Jojo
27-03-2006, 14:26
I didn't put any on when i had mine fitted

Skits
27-03-2006, 14:30
i think it's the injection. a girl i know had it and she just bloated. i must check with her.

Em
27-03-2006, 14:41
All types of the pill can make you put on weight, a friend of mine says the implant has made her put on, whilst it was the injection with me.

But they do say when you start takign the "pill" pill, that it makes youput on weight too - you just have to be careful thats all.

myra129
02-04-2006, 19:13
I have a bit of a scary story about the implant. A friend had hers put in and had endless problems, she was bleeding constantly even started haemmoraging at one point, she was always fainting and constantly felt ill. She went back to the doctors several times and was told she was anaemic... in the end she demanded they take implant out. The doctor couldnt find it, didnt even know if they put it in to start off with which means she could have gone 9 months without protection and not even known about it. She went for a scan in the hospital and they found it, its stuck between the muscle and a vein/artery in her arm. It travelled from the place the doctor put it and now its lodged somewhere and 3 months on shes still waiting to have it removed and is feeling as ill as before.

tasha_hopkins
03-04-2006, 14:24
oh my god thats so scary thats put me right off the idea, hope she gets well soon.

Jojo
03-04-2006, 14:26
Sounds like the doctor didnt put it in the right place....

That was one question I asked my gp - can it move or get lost and he said as long as its been inserted correctly then no.... I would have it again..

Em
03-04-2006, 15:54
This sounds more like a problem with the people that put it in rather than the implant itself - I know a lot of people who have had it done and been fine - I definately would not use that clinic!!!

chance
03-04-2006, 18:25
I still havent been to the docs about it yet,due to work and the kids etc i missed the app

RealityGap
04-04-2006, 12:41
contraception is a subject that facinates me - probably because apart from condoms I have never used any - I guess that is the upside of infertility lol - there had to be one!

ELLIE_BEAN
02-06-2006, 09:42
Chance did you get to the doctors for this. I'm not sure wether to have the coil or the implants. I don't think i want any more children but my husband doesn't want to have the snip until he's convinced i won't change my mind. I've talked it over with my mum who thinks i should have the implant as my dad could feel the coil when they had sex (not that i want to think about that:eek: )