PDA

View Full Version : Immunity for criminals?

chance
24-03-2006, 09:15
Should criminals get immunity deals from the CPS?

alkalinetrio
24-03-2006, 13:23
erm ok im going to sound dumb! what is that?

Jojo
24-03-2006, 13:26
I'm presuming Chance is meaning that if a criminal testifies against another one higher up in the chain, then they will be granted immunity from being prosecuted themselves, I think anyway....does that make sense.

Kim
24-03-2006, 23:29
That does make sense, Em. If that is what Chance meant then I think that they shouldn't. They're still a criminal whether they grass on another one or not. If the criminal helps the police during their first interview and hasn't commited a very serious crime, I think they should have a shorter sentence, but not be let off altogether if there is sufficent evidence that they have broken the law.

Behemoth
26-03-2006, 19:42
I think that if a criminal provides a great deal of useful information to the police that leads to a lot of convictions, and the criminal poses no threat to the public, then immunity is a fair price to pay.

In a perfect world the police would catch all criminals unaided and without the help of other criminals but we don't live in a perfect world and ultimately it comes down to immunity being the lesser of two evils.

lollymay
26-03-2006, 19:45
i was talking to my dad about this (he is in the police) and he says that it could just lead to lesser criminals grassing on the ones above them just to escape charges and then the lesser criminals having to have police protection from them.

alan45
26-03-2006, 19:48
I think that if a criminal provides a great deal of useful information to the police that leads to a lot of convictions, and the criminal poses no threat to the public, then immunity is a fair price to pay.

In a perfect world the police would catch all criminals unaided and without the help of other criminals but we don't live in a perfect world and ultimately it comes down to immunity being the lesser of two evils.I completely agree with you on this one Rob. better to let some of the foot soldiers serve a lesser sentence to get the main culprits.

Rain_
26-03-2006, 21:13
if you do the crime you should do the time !!!!!!