PDA

View Full Version : obesity in children

chance
19-03-2006, 00:03
Obesity:Should surgery be available for children?

willow
19-03-2006, 09:05
no, i really don't think it should. childrens bodies are not mature enough for surgery like that they should opt for lifestyle changes and exercise,

Kim
19-03-2006, 10:00
I think it should. I know people at my school who are being bullied for being obese and it isn't fair on them.

willow
19-03-2006, 10:03
i think what they need is education in to being healthy, and to eat the right food and have regular exercise. surgery should only be the last option,

Kim
19-03-2006, 10:05
It isn't a childs fault if their parent(s) make them eat unhealthily though.

JustJodi
19-03-2006, 10:05
An operation should NOT be availble to kids, these operations are not quick fixes,you do not LOOSE WEIGHT right after the operation you have to learn how to eat all over again ( cos the stomach is made much much smaller) An adult can handle this sort of change, but a child is still growing and there would be so many complications..Parents have to learn to send the kids out to play more, and try to produce something healthy for them to eat, kids are sitting in front of computers more and more and watching loads of TV .. so my answer is NO,, a child should not have an operation.

shannisrules
19-03-2006, 11:08
i dont think operations should be available as its all down to them really if they put the effort in to eat less/more healthier food and do a bit more excercise then they would probably lose a lot of that weight i think operations should only be available to kids that are a special case ie. theyve tried everything but it wont work or something.

Tori
19-03-2006, 15:17
shouldn't they just be eating healthily in the first place? and getting exercise?

Cornishbabe
19-03-2006, 15:40
They shouldnt be allowed for children. They should make lifestyle changes then at 16 if it is a last resort should them be allowed

Jojo
19-03-2006, 17:08
Children arent developed enough to receive surgery for obesity - their parents need to be referred to a nutrionist (sp?) to give the children a healthy diet including exercise - if the parents feed their children the right foods in the right quanitity, then the child will also be learning the same skills for later in life - feed the child junk, all the child will know is junk and that will be all they will eat when they are older too.

Its all a learning curve - the child learns everything from us parents, right from wrong, good from bad etc and the same goes for eating and exercise habits...

So my answer is no.

annaz
19-03-2006, 18:29
I don't think it should, but I think it should be allowed to seriously morbidly obese children.

chance
20-03-2006, 10:06
As everyone else has already said if the childs parents give them heatlthy food and regular exercise they shouldnt really have aproblem so my answer is no but yes if its a certain case you hear about every now and then where the child has a problem etc

Siobhan
20-03-2006, 10:14
NO! surgery should not be available, they need to go to a nutritionist and have regular exercise. Surgery for children is wrong, they can't cope with it and if they recieve it they are going to think that is the solution to overeating.

Jessie Wallace
20-03-2006, 12:17
No, definatly not, they are too young. There are plenty of other options avaiable to them. Too many kids just eat junk, and do little or no exercise. They and their paretns need to be taught healthy living. Not just use surgery for a quick fix, they are far to young for it.

dddMac1
20-03-2006, 15:25
i don't think so cause surgery is not always the Answer kids should offered healthy food not C**P like Burgers, chips, chocolate and sugery drinks

nicole28
20-03-2006, 16:59
No way! I agree dddmac! They should just go to their doctor and sort it out by eating regularly! No way should they have surgery!

Tori
20-03-2006, 17:07
how can they get so fat though is what i don;t understand. i don;t understand how their parents let them get like that

~*~Leanne~*~
21-03-2006, 17:53
surgery shouldn't be allowed as children should learn to eat healthy or it isn't going to help in the long run

Tori
21-03-2006, 20:28
yeah, they'll just do it again, and if they know theres an operation, they might have several without being told how to eat healthily

Abbie
25-03-2006, 12:12
i think what they need is education in to being healthy, and to eat the right food and have regular exercise. surgery should only be the last option,you know what i coudnt agree more, they will be able to learn form this and move on