PDA

View Full Version : Kids Games

Abi
18-03-2006, 18:38
As some of you know, i've just passed my intermediate level leadership training at a local youth group thing. Because of that, i run games with them on a weekly basis; but because i've done this for a while now, i'm running out of ideas for games.

So i wondered if anyone here has some good ideas for games, for kids aged between around 5 and 11? I generally do it with around 20 kids, but games for smaller groups would be usefull as well. The group is a mixture of kids between that age group as well, so they need to be fun, but ok to teach the little 'uns.

Also, i need some ideas for quiet and running games, so either would be great.

Thanks x :)

xxloopylauraxx
18-03-2006, 21:36
have you tried the memory game for a quiet game, where you say 'i went to the sea side and i brought an icecream' then it goes to the next person that has to say i wentto the sea side andi brought an ice cream & .... and then the next person has to continue from the start and add to the list. you can do it for anything like the shops the zoo or let them start it off.

Abi
18-03-2006, 23:43
Thats a good idea for the older ones...but i dont think the little ones would be able to do it...:hmm:

feelingyellow
19-03-2006, 01:17
When I was younger, me and about 40 other kids used to play Bulldog every breaktime lol, it's quite a fun game but then we got told off for it because it was somehow 'violent' ... though if you change the rules a bit maybe it'd be ok?

Layne
19-03-2006, 10:58
Wink murder?? We always play that with the younger kids at drama, they all seem to love it!
there is also pass the rhythm (sp) when you sit in a circl someone starts off with a rhythm, like say 2 claps and then you pass it round the circle??
Or even duck duck goose?

feelingyellow
19-03-2006, 11:34
When I was younger, me and about 40 other kids used to play Bulldog every breaktime lol, it's quite a fun game but then we got told off for it because it was somehow 'violent' ... though if you change the rules a bit maybe it'd be ok?

Just remembered that was Red Rover, Bulldog is ok to play! :thumbsup:

Layne
19-03-2006, 11:39
Just remembered that was Red Rover, Bulldog is ok to play! :thumbsup:

We used to play a game called POLO does anyone know that, i think its the same as red rover/bulldog?

the_watts_rule
19-03-2006, 12:02
We used to play a game called POLO does anyone know that, i think its the same as red rover/bulldog?

Oh, I remember that but I can't remember how to play it.

I played a game once and it was making your own story. You sit in a circle and you go round the circle and everyone says a word. After it's been around the circle a few times you have a story. You can end up with things like a mouse ate a lion, it can be a laugh.

the_watts_rule
19-03-2006, 12:21
I found these on a website Abi. Hope they help. :)

Red Light/ Green Light also known as Hot Chocolate.
At the start, all the children form a line about 15 feet away from the stop light. The stop light faces away from the line of kids and says "green light". At this point the kids are allowed to move towards the stoplight. At any point, the stop light may say "red light!" and turn around. If any of the kids are caught moving after this has occurred, they are out. Play resumes when the stop light turns back around and says "green light". The stop light wins if all the kids are out before anyone is able to touch him/her. Otherwise, the first player to touch the stop light wins the game and earns the right to be "stop light" for the next game.

Bumpety Bump Bump

All players stand in a circle with someone in the centre. The person in the centre will choose someone in the circle to point at and will say, "Right, Bumpety Bump Bump Bump" or "Left, Bumptey Bump Bump Bump." The person who is pointed at has to say the name of the person to their right or left (depending upon what is asked by the person in the centre) before the phrase is finished. If they fail to do this, they are out. The centre person is trying to eliminate all players.

Good Morning Captain

The captain sits slightly apart from the group and is blindfolded. The leader indicates a player who says "Good Morning Captain!" The captain tries to name the speaker. If he responds "I said good morning captain!" If the captain correctly identifies the speaker he retains his position. If not the player becomes the new captain. Players should try to disguise their voices.

Steal the Bacon

In this game, two teams are chosen, and one umpire is selected. One object is required to the bacon. (a glove is a common choice) The members of each team are numbered. They form two opposing lines and place the bacon in the exact center between them. The umpire then calls out a number. The players on each side who are assigned that number are the players for that round. No other team members leave their side of the field. Neither player may touch the other until someone touches the bacon. Once a player touches the bacon however, the other player may tag him/her. If a player is able to grab the bacon and carry it back over to his/her own side, that team scores a point. (VARIATION: in some games, points are scored by carrying it to the other teams side or either team's side) If a player is tagged after touching the bacon and before he/she returns their own side, the team that tagged him/her scores a point. Note that the sequence of play usually involves the two kids running out and hovering over the bacon, waiting for a slight advantage to grab it and run back before the other player can react. The game is over when a predetermined number of points are scored, or when all numbers have been called. VARIATION: The umpire can call more than one number, in which case several players from each side participate. In some games, players may tag any player on the opposing team, in others, a player may only tag the player on the other team that they share a number with.

This is a good quiet game, Sleeping Lions

In this game, all of the children ( except one or two hunters ) lie down on the floor in sleeping positions. Once they are settled, they are not allowed to move. The hunters walk through the room and try to make the sleeping lions move by making them laugh, telling them jokes, and so on. The hunters are not allowed to touch the lions. Once the lions have moved, they get up and join the hunters.

Here is the link Abi. It has loads of game ideas on it.

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/

feelingyellow
19-03-2006, 14:21
POLO ... like you run from one line to another line when someone shouts out your thing i.e. hair colour and you race against another person and if you win the race you get to be the caller lol. Something like that I think, lol. http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

squillyfer
19-03-2006, 15:00
I remember playing sleeping lions! It was really fun lol

di marco
19-03-2006, 15:09
POLO ... like you run from one line to another line when someone shouts out your thing i.e. hair colour and you race against another person and if you win the race you get to be the caller lol. Something like that I think, lol. http://www.soapboards.co.uk/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

oh yeh i remember how to play that now. another game which is quite fun is where you are in 2 teams and you have a bit of material or ribbon or something tucked into the top of your trousers at the back (so it sort of looks like a tail) and you have to try and pull out the ribbon of the people in the opposite team to you and if someone pulls your ribbon out then youre out and the team wins when all the other team is out (if that makes sense)

Layne
19-03-2006, 15:10
oh yeh i remember how to play that now. another game which is quite fun is where you are in 2 teams and you have a bit of material or ribbon or something tucked into the top of your trousers at the back (so it sort of looks like a tail) and you have to try and pull out the ribbon of the people in the opposite team to you and if someone pulls your ribbon out then youre out and the team wins when all the other team is out (if that makes sense)

I remember that kind of like tag rubgy! :p
And yeh emmie that is POLO!

di marco
19-03-2006, 15:12
I remember that kind of like tag rubgy! :p
And yeh emmie that is POLO!

yeh its sort of like tag rugby apart from you dont have a ball lol!

Layne
19-03-2006, 15:13
yeh its sort of like tag rugby apart from you dont have a ball lol!

Oh right yeh of course silly me :p

squillyfer
19-03-2006, 15:14
we played that at school when i was younger we called cats and mice

Tori
19-03-2006, 15:19
parachute games are fun and you can do lots of different games with it, not just waft it up and down

samantha nixon
19-03-2006, 17:36
i like the parachute games we played cat and mouse and one was on top of the parachute and the other was underneath and you had to catch each other also you all stand up and hold it some one shouts out swap places if you have blue eyes or something like that then you run under and go to a new place, but it depends whther you have a parachute or not