PDA

View Full Version : Does an ex - partner have the right to ban embryo use?

chance
14-03-2006, 09:31
What do you think?.....discuss..

alan45
14-03-2006, 10:10
Although I voted yes. I feel the circumstance of this case are different. After all the poor woman is unable to have any children due to cancer treatment and I feel her ex partner is being a bit mean in denying her the chance to have kids.

JustJodi
14-03-2006, 10:15
Although I voted yes. I feel the circumstance of this case are different. After all the poor woman is unable to have any children due to cancer treatment and I feel her ex partner is being a bit mean in denying her the chance to have kids.

I agree with You Alan,, the poor woman just wants a child, this may be her only chance, its not as if she is asking any thing from her ex partner except permission to use the embryo. It never ceases to amaze me how people will tie up court time over something like this.. amazing

Em
14-03-2006, 10:25
I think its his decision whether to release it or not, if he does not want to be a parent with her he shouldnt be forced to.

Could she not have has her eggs frozen instead?

$sTaCeY$
14-03-2006, 10:28
yes ex partners do have the right to ban th use of the embryo but in the womens case she cant produce any more eggs because of her cancer treatment .............so she should have the right to be able to use the eggs to have children, as this will be her only chance to have kids of her own

Em
14-03-2006, 11:29
yes ex partners do have the right to ban th use of the embryo but in the womens case she cant produce any more eggs because of her cancer treatment .............so she should have the right to be able to use the eggs to have children, as this will be her only chance to have kids of her own

I meant rather than freezing an embryo prior to treatment could she not have frozen eggs instead prior to the treatment

alan45
14-03-2006, 11:34
I think her ex partner is being terribly unfair to her after all its not as if she wants a committment from him.

Trinity
14-03-2006, 13:19
This guy is in a situation that most men would never be in.

He has agreed to have a child with a woman, and then at a later date he has been able to reneage on that agreement.

If the woman had been able to get pregnant there and then he would not have been able to change his mind.

He gave his agreement when the embryos were created, and he should not now be able to change his mind.

This poor woman is now going to see her potential children being destroyed because of this. Not only that by she will no have no chance of having children of her own, ever.

What a selfish man.

di marco
14-03-2006, 14:24
This guy is in a situation that most men would never be in.

He has agreed to have a child with a woman, and then at a later date he has been able to reneage on that agreement.

If the woman had been able to get pregnant there and then he would not have been able to change his mind.

He gave his agreement when the embryos were created, and he should not now be able to change his mind.

This poor woman is now going to see her potential children being destroyed because of this. Not only that by she will no have no chance of having children of her own, ever.

What a selfish man.

i completely agree with you there, if youve consented to fertilising those embryos to start with then i dont think you should be able to change your mind afterwards. as youve said, it she had become pregnant then he would still have a baby which is his, he wanted it at the time so i dont think he should be allowed to go back on his word now

pookie1968uk
14-03-2006, 16:28
i think the man is being very unfair. it is the womans last chance and if she has agreed to bring up the child with no involvement from him and no contact then whats his problem.

leanne27
14-03-2006, 17:01
i think the woman should definately not be allowed to have a baby without her ex partner's consent, he should not be forced to be a parent if he doesn't want to! if somehow it was the other way round and the woman was being forced to have a baby everyone would be against it, no one should have to be a parent if they dont want to be.

Kim
14-03-2006, 18:23
I agree that the woman should be able to use them but only if it is her last chance to become a mother, and if she is in a stable relationship with someone else, as this may stop the child knowing the circumstances and wanting to know his or her father when the biological father doesn't want to know the child.

samantha nixon
14-03-2006, 18:53
i think in other caese then it might be different but this lady wont be able to have children otherwise so i think she should be able to use them

dddMac1
15-03-2006, 15:04
i think the man is been really unfair all she wants is a child and he is denying her it

*vcl*
15-03-2006, 15:11
I cant see the problem with her using the embryo. He gave permission when the embryo was formed, if this had been a natural pregnancy there would have been no get out clause, he would have had a child already.

He's being very selfish, this poor woman will never have the chance to have children when there already is a "CHILD" Sitting on ice. She has already said she doesnt want anything else from him, why cant he just look at as if he is a sperm donor!!

Siobhan
15-03-2006, 15:15
I am in two minds about this. First the embryo is already ready to go, so as has been said, if it was ordinary suitation, child would have been born long ago. I feel sorry for the poor woman as her only chance it with the frozen embryo

On the other hand, the man doesn't want to be a parent, Ok so she doesn't want anything from him but he will have a child out there that will want to contact him someday and what does he say then???

In hindsight, the woman should have just frozen her own eggs, that way she could get a sperm donor and would not have to ask her ex-partners permission

willow
15-03-2006, 16:09
I am in two minds about this. First the embryo is already ready to go, so as has been said, if it was ordinary suitation, child would have been born long ago. I feel sorry for the poor woman as her only chance it with the frozen embryo

On the other hand, the man doesn't want to be a parent, Ok so she doesn't want anything from him but he will have a child out there that will want to contact him someday and what does he say then???

In hindsight, the woman should have just frozen her own eggs, that way she could get a sperm donor and would not have to ask her ex-partners permission

you have said everything i have thought!!!!