PDA

View Full Version : Stockwell shooting

Siobhan
09-03-2006, 13:51
Did anyone watch Panarama last night on the stockwell shooting last year. It was very well put together and very very bad on the police. Poor guy was just going to work and he is shot in the head 7 times as a suspected terrorist

alan45
09-03-2006, 13:55
Sorry as I am for the Brazilian guy. I think this whole thing has to be taken in the context and emotions of the time. The Police Officers on the ground were under extreme pressure. Had he been a suicide bomber and they didnt stop him and he killed people on the tube then they would have been villified in the media. The blame lies with poor intelligence about the terrorists and poor leadership from Scotland Yard not with the officers on the ground

Siobhan
09-03-2006, 14:03
Sorry as I am for the Brazilian guy. I think this whole thing has to be taken in the context and emotions of the time. The Police Officers on the ground were under extreme pressure. Had he been a suicide bomber and they didnt stop him and he killed people on the tube then they would have been villified in the media. The blame lies with poor intelligence about the terrorists and poor leadership from Scotland Yard not with the officers on the ground

Oh I agree with you there. they said they were unsure who gave the orders and communication was pretty poor in the underground. In Israel where they have more terrorist attacks and they have to see the bomb before they do the head shots. they had Jean and they could have done a very quick search of the body, they didn't have to shoot him like that.

dddMac1
09-03-2006, 15:26
didn't see it but although the police Forces are under presure to protect the UK they should not try to cover up their mistakes

Richie_lecturer
09-03-2006, 17:40
Yes Alan I agree with you on that.

xXxJessxXx
09-03-2006, 19:33
I wacthed that last night. I understand that if they didnt take any action and had he been a suicide bomber then of course we'd all be the first to complain of them not doing their jobs properly and protecting the country.

However i think that they were 100% wrong to do what they did and i think they should all be prosicuted. Just because they they are the police out to protect everyone they cant just go round killing any one they please who they think could be a potential bomber. (I know it sounds silly and perhaps a little relaxed and mad but they cant)

All the way thorugh whilst following him they kept sayign we still dont know and are un sure if he is the man we're looking for. Surley that ounce of uncertaincy should have lead them to their instincs to leave him alone. He didnt have a huge bag, he wasnt acting completly and utterly suspicious, just because he was foreign and perhaps looked like a man they were looking for.

What i did notice was that the undercover policemen were wearing ordinary clothes (Obviously) but if i were a passenger on the tubes that day and saw the brazilian man i wouldnt have been worried at all! However i would have been slightly disturbed if i saw four men charging about with guns on show in ordinary clothing yelling at one aother! The fact that the undercover police officer was on the tube and pointed him out then the brazilian man got up showed he wasnt the man they were looking for at all. If he was, he would have noticed the caos around him and detinted the bomb immediatly before the other four men had a chance to shot him! The fact he just tried to calmly move and get out of trouble showed he wasnt any harm.

They also said they dont shoot to kill! I undertsand they have to shooot in the head so the person will fall straight to the floor unable to move other parts of his body to detinate it. But shooting him 7 times! Is that or is it not the intention to kill someone! 7 times! This programe made me think about how unsafe the world is. and not beacause of the boms but beacuse of the police who go round shooting innocent people. For whater ever reasons they had it was still a crime! If they can dso that to an innocent man then they can do it to anyone. Just because they have the tiniest incline he may cause harm they shoot him. What hope does that leave for any of us! So they mad a mistake. Buit it was a mistake that cant be undone and shouldnt just be forgotton so easily. No matter the circumstances if they hadnt have done what they done they should have made more connections and been 95% sure before they did anything! If they suspect someone they cant just kill them! To me it seems they were just so worried about catching a man who was doing these horrible things so no more boms coulkd go off they didnt care who got in the way or who they suspected, as long as they got someone they knew they had a chance of it being the man they were looking for! They didnt care if they got it wrogn at least they had a go and if you have a go your've got more chance of catching him if you dont! You cant work like that! People cant juts go round killign other people with no real evidence and surity that he is the man. They should all be stripped of their licenses or even more for the terrible mistakes they did. People say its only one death compared to hundreds it may have been if he was the bomber. but if they are to keep making them that number of innocent deaths will rise well into the hundreds anyway just from their doing! I know it all happend quickly and they must have been under huge amoutns of pressure but they are trained to deal with those sorts of situations. Can we afford to live in a place were innocent people are being killed by the people who are supposed ot protect us? If they had done a better job in the first place it would have never have come to this!

nicole28
10-03-2006, 17:08
I haven't seen it yet! When is it on?

Siobhan
10-03-2006, 17:09
I haven't seen it yet! When is it on?

it is over, it was on wednesday night at 9pm.. it was really good

alkalinetrio
10-03-2006, 18:27
oh damn wanted to see that :( will there be any repeats?