PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory water meters?

di marco
04-03-2006, 13:32
i was reading in the paper yesterday that water meters might be being brought in so that instead of paying a fixed rate, you would be charged for how much water you used. this is likely to be done in the south east (where i live) cos there is very likely going to be a water shortage this summer. it said that some families would end up paying twice as much for their water and that on average, a family of 5 would pay 50% more for their water than they do now. so what do you all think, do you think its fair to charge people for the amount of water they use rather than having a fixed price? and do you think it would encourage people to use less water and stop wasting it as much if they are paying for how much they use?

Katy
04-03-2006, 13:36
i think its a stupid idea. Its the 21st century for goodness sake. Its highly unfair for families that are larger having to pay more.

willow
04-03-2006, 13:39
i pay loads for my water already!!!! its really over priced!!

hazey
04-03-2006, 15:12
i think its a stupid idea. Its the 21st century for goodness sake. Its highly unfair for families that are larger having to pay more. I think it is fair for everyone to pay for what they use,I understand that a larger family will pay more,but then again they use more. Why should a person on their own pay the same as a family of 4 or more. I pay £399.51 a year at the moment,and across the road because their house is smaller they pay only £290. (rates work out on rateable value of property)There are two of use in my house and 5 in the house across the road how is that fair. for eg: They have a dish washer the uses 28 lires of water per load. I use 4 litres washing up by hand !!!!!!

pookie1968uk
04-03-2006, 16:27
its terrible. just another way of taking yet more money off us. the water board keeps saying all the pipes etc need upgrading so they need our money but if they bury their heads in the sand for years and dont gradually upgrade pipes etc then what do they expect. they just take the money off us now instead

Cornishbabe
04-03-2006, 16:35
Its stupid. It might make people try to use less water, But water is a neccessity for many people and if they cant afford it what would they do. I argree with them being optional then small familes can use them to lower their bills

Katy
04-03-2006, 17:20
I think it is fair for everyone to pay for what they use,I understand that a larger family will pay more,but then again they use more. Why should a person on their own pay the same as a family of 4 or more. I pay £399.51 a year at the moment,and across the road because their house is smaller they pay only £290. (rates work out on rateable value of property)There are two of use in my house and 5 in the house across the road how is that fair. for eg: They have a dish washer the uses 28 lires of water per load. I use 4 litres washing up by hand !!!!!!

I understand what your saying, ive never really thought of it that way, but then again i dont pay the bills i just use up all the water and electricity and mum pays. I guess ill have a different opinion living on my own.

Debs
04-03-2006, 18:03
i think it is a good idea it would definTELY make our family use less water,

Abbie
04-03-2006, 18:14
well i kinda think its fair as it will make families use less and save energy all that stuff, but then again looking at prices it is prettyy unfair

willsmummy
04-03-2006, 18:55
I think it's fair to pay for what you use, but what I don't think is fair is the fact that there are some water boards who are losing up to 35% of their water through leaks in old and badly maintained pipes.

I hope it does encourage people to save water, but I bet it doesn't. We are a very wasteful nation as a whole.

Tori
04-03-2006, 22:04
i think its good in some respects, so people won't water their grass in summer, but what does get me is that i drink a lot of water, probably more than quite a few people, but that will increase our bill. isn't it just an excuse to drink bottled water becuase it costs less in the long run but pollutes the planet?

Jojo
04-03-2006, 22:32
We already have a water meter and it does encourage us to use less water. My mum was living on her own paying rates before she moved which were £35 per month, I was paying for the water our family used and was paying £35 per quarter - that wasnt fair on my mum.

Like Cornish Babe, I live in an area where we have the highest water rates/charges, because of our coastlines and this makes our rates extorsionate (sp?) I'd much rather pay for what i have used, knowing that i am not subsidising someone elses usage of water...

dddMac1
06-03-2006, 15:11
i don't think it's fair we pay loads of mony for water already through the council Tax

$sTaCeY$
06-03-2006, 15:55
i think it is really stupid my mom and dad pay alot of money for water already!! its about £25+ for water a month here in south wales its really exspensive, back in west midlands we only paid about £150 per year!! thats a big difference in price, if they are going to do water meters its going to end up costing loads :thumbsdow

pookie1968uk
06-03-2006, 17:30
i pay about £35 a month for my water, possibly more and the new bills are coming soon!