PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Kim
05-02-2009, 07:58
Hardly anyone turned up to school yesterday. It was a family friend's funeral yesterday but because I'd missed 2 days already I thought I better go into school. Wish I hadn't because I wouldn't have missed anything.

Layne
05-02-2009, 08:31
All bus services have been cancelled - and pretty much all schools in northamptonshire are shut.

Okay i admit it - now i actually quite like the snow because i really didn't want school today!

Kim
05-02-2009, 08:57
Same in Wiltshire. The radio people have now cottoned onto the idea that it would've been quicker to read out the list of schools still open! There's 1 bus company running 1 service that I know of and it's nowhere near here lol.

Kirsty :]
05-02-2009, 09:21
Our bus services are still running, schools closed though, and my test was cancelled :( I drove in this aswell to get there! But it was cancelled, oh well... was a good experience

Abigail
05-02-2009, 09:28
OMFG, we have half a foot here and it's still snowing :eek: Everything is white.

Siobhan
05-02-2009, 09:32
it has started here again but not like Monday...

di marco
05-02-2009, 10:20
its not snowing here, and all the snow in canterbury has gone completely! :( i think theres still snow back home though

pinkles14
05-02-2009, 13:44
All the schools round here are closed apart from the one my daughter goes too its still open....

Emmie
05-02-2009, 13:52
was snowing last night and abit this morning but its all gone now :S its ment to snow here tomorrow and then on monday x

Siobhan
05-02-2009, 13:54
it is really picking up here now.. sever weather warning announced for the south of the city

di marco
05-02-2009, 15:51
Britain descended into wintry chaos again as snow caused hundreds more school closures and mayhem on the roads.

Airports were forced to shut runways while trains and bus services were disrupted yet again after some regions were blanketed with eight inches by blizzards.

Snow settled in south Wales, western England, the Midlands, counties to the north of London, Northern Ireland and Scotland. And with forecasters warning that the freezing blast will continue into the weekend, concerns over dwindling salt supplies were heightened.

Some councils said they were now using salt only on major routes, and Britain's biggest salt supplier, Cheshire-based Salt Union, said staff were working round the clock but still could not meet demand.

Cleveland Potash, the Highways Agency's second supplier, said it had arranged for 40,000 tonnes of salt to be imported from its sister mine in Spain to meet the increased demand. Hertfordshire County Council, one of the councils which said stocks were running low, said it was seeking additional supplies from abroad.

Tom Tobler, forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said snowfalls will return south over the next 24 hours. The South West - and possibly eastern areas, including London - could be hit on Friday.

In similar scenes to Monday's weather, which stopped millions getting to work, airports, railways and roads were hit hard. Luton Airport cancelled 13 flights as clearing work took place and planes were also unable to land and take off from Belfast City airport, Robin Hood International Airport, near Doncaster, and Aberdeen.

The runway at East Midlands Airport near Derby was briefly closed as staff worked to clear it, while Birmingham Airport remained open with temporary runway closures.

The railways endured a fourth successive day of disruption. Passengers were warned they faced disrupted train services in several areas, including Wales, the Midlands, the South West and Yorkshire.

The Highways Agency repeated its warnings for drivers to take extra care, particularly on the M4 and M5 in Wiltshire, where driving conditions were especially dangerous.

Rawnie
05-02-2009, 16:19
School was open again here. It's like the only one around here that was open today :rolleyes:

There's still snow from Monday and it was snowing today. The main roads are clear though :(.. Meant to be LOTS of snow tonight though. That means I can't go to drama though :(

Layne
05-02-2009, 17:13
School shut today .... and is going to be shut tomorrow i am reliably informed (love having a friend on the staff!) No drama for me tonight :( And if this continues through till saturday i may not have work :|
Lets hope it clears up by next week ...... driving lessons!

05-02-2009, 17:39
Stupid snow! It would dissapear now wouldn't it!
Why couldn't it have snowed thsi evening instead of this morning :(
School was shut today, it'll be open tomorrow... the snow is virtually gone now

Rawnie
05-02-2009, 18:02
No drama for me tonight :(
A boy from drama is mocking me on facebook. I said I couldn't go because of the snow and he's like "Oh, ok then. Martin told me Geri Halliwell was stopping by.." :rolleyes: So cruel.

EDIT: Martin runs my drama group..

Layne
05-02-2009, 18:46
Aww - well that is just mean!! Geri is obvs playing snowball fights anyway!

Kim
05-02-2009, 20:49
The Highways Agency repeated its warnings for drivers to take extra care, particularly on the M4 and M5 in Wiltshire, where driving conditions were especially dangerous.

So many crashes in Wiltshire today. I had the radio on just after I found out that school wasn't open (at like 7) and a lorry had already got stuck and then a car crashed into the back of it.

Rawnie
05-02-2009, 21:01
Aww - well that is just mean!! Geri is obvs playing snowball fights anyway!

Hahaa. Yes. Either that or being wined and dined by Fabz :rolleyes: :wub:
It's still not snowing yet :thumbsdow

.:SpIcYsPy:.
05-02-2009, 21:21
Apparently we are going to get 8 inches of snow tomorrow! :eek: Again :D
I honestly don't think they will close the school though.. Just have a feeling they are going to make us come in, we sit there, go home! - That's what happened on Tuesday, even though the snow from Monday didn't budge one bit!
Yesterday and today the snow melted slightly but there's about an inch of it still around places, on our driveway etc. so yeah pretty cold here I guess!

DaVeyWaVey
05-02-2009, 22:11
It's started snowing here again.. I didn't think it would hit my area again.. hope it will stick as I just wantt another day off :D please :p

05-02-2009, 22:15
Really Davey? You're not that far from me... I thoguht it was moving away from us though. Omg fingers crossed your area wills hare it with mine... be nice now Davey! :D

StarsOfCCTV
05-02-2009, 22:22
I want the snow back. :p

DaVeyWaVey
05-02-2009, 22:22
;642725']Really Davey? You're not that far from me... I thoguht it was moving away from us though. Omg fingers crossed your area wills hare it with mine... be nice now Davey! :D

Haha i'm sure it will come over to you :p but i don't understand it either, as on the weather forecast, it said the snow would just miss us.

05-02-2009, 22:52
It's snowing here again!
It's not bad though, it's the sprinkly snow stuff... that floats aroudn in the air :(

Kim
06-02-2009, 07:41
It's started snowing here again.. I didn't think it would hit my area again.. hope it will stick as I just wantt another day off :D please :p

My prayers have been answered so I hope yours are too :) No snow here last night but it is now.

DaVeyWaVey
06-02-2009, 08:08

My prayers have been answered so I hope yours are too :) No snow here last night but it is now.

It's a blizzard here and the snow is sticking but they still decided to open the school :rolleyes: "the school is open, but we understand that other areas have more snow than others so we advise you only to travel to school if it's absolutely necessary" :rotfl: Why can't they just say if it's open or closed and leave it at that?

I'm only going in as I am meant to sit another exam today, but I bet most people won't bother turning up.

Kim
06-02-2009, 08:22
And it's Friday. :lol: Obviously it's necessary if they've opened the school!! Unless they mean walk if you can instead of going by car.

Good luck, Dave. Is this the other exam for Aber that you didn't get to sit yesterday?

I don't know why my school bothered opening on Wednesday. 2/4 of my teachers were away and one was late. Not that we really did any work, because obviously they didn't want those that couldn't get to school due to issues with buses not turning up and parents not wanting/not being able to drive there to miss too much. That was the only day I was in for this week and it was a complete waste of time lol. Tuesday was apparently a similar story.

di marco
06-02-2009, 12:08
its actually quite warm here today lol! i didnt feel cold when i was outside this morning which makes a change! my mum said its gonna snow again here by sunday though :D

DaVeyWaVey
06-02-2009, 12:11
Yeah, my other exam was for Aber. I walked to school, to go and sit it and then after I finished, all the students and most of the teachers left as they decided to shut the school.

di marco
06-02-2009, 12:14
Yeah, my other exam was for Aber. I walked to school, to go and sit it and then after I finished, all the students and most of the teachers left as they decided to shut the school.

lol i hate it when they decide to close halfway through the day! hope the exam went well :)

Kim
06-02-2009, 12:19

lol i hate it when they decide to close halfway through the day! hope the exam went well :)

I can't get home in the middle of the day so if my dad thinks the school shouldn't be open I don't go lol, his predictions are usually pretty accurate.

Abbie
06-02-2009, 16:28
:eek: OMG it was so bad yesterday but my college still didnt close!

BUT it took 1hour 20 mins to drive to college for what normally is a 15 minute drive!

It was insane and loads of people werent in

di marco
06-02-2009, 21:40
its snowing where i live at home, my mum just text me, its not fair! :(

Kim
06-02-2009, 22:47
It's just all icy here, no driving for me again this weekend then. I think the next lot of snow we're meant to get is on Monday.

Kim
07-02-2009, 14:18
I went with my dad to Tesco earlier and when he was driving a load snow that had thawed out came down and covered the windowscreen! :eek: It's so icy, I almost ended up assessing Tesco car park's ability as a seat haha!

Abbie
07-02-2009, 14:22
:eek: thats scary, I was watching the news and ice on a bridge someone, like huge blocks kept falling down!

Kim
07-02-2009, 14:53
:eek: thats scary, I was watching the news and ice on a bridge someone, like huge blocks kept falling down!

There were two bridges closed together yesterday for the first time because a load of ice fell from above and smashed like 4 car windowscreens or something. I was petrified because my mum had told me about that and my dad was just sitting there laughing because I was so scared of it.

di marco
07-02-2009, 15:01
still no more snow here! :( i doubt there will be either cos its pretty sunny today

Kim
07-02-2009, 15:15
still no more snow here! :( i doubt there will be either cos its pretty sunny today

Same here.

Abbie
07-02-2009, 16:18
Its still so cold here but theres just lots of ice around now :p

di marco
07-02-2009, 16:46
A council has been forced to use table salt to grit roads as temperatures continue to plunge.

Gloucestershire County Council has been running low on rock salt but has now found 500 tonnes of table salt to combat icy conditions.

White salt is not usually used to grit roads, but the council said it had to resort to any means necessary in the extreme weather conditions.

Temperatures in some parts of the UK will plunge to -10C overnight and Sunday will see snow showers return, mainly to the north of the country.

Motorists are being warned of dangerous driving conditions, with millions facing another day of disruption.

Friday saw travel chaos after heavy falls in the West Country, Midlands, Home Counties and parts of Scotland.

The M4 Second Severn Crossing - one of the two main roads between England and South Wales - was closed after sheets of ice fell from overhead sign gantries and smashed the windscreens of five vehicles.

Thousands of Welsh rugby fans hoping to travel to Scotland for Sunday's Six Nations clash also saw their plans thrown into disarray after heavy snow grounded flights at Bristol airport. Luton airport was also closed for a number of hours.

In the West, more than 1,000 schools were closed, while similar numbers were shut in the Thames Valley and in a combination of eastern England plus counties to the north of London. Wales was also badly hit, with more than 200 closed.

The AA said it expected to have attended a total of more than 70,000 breakdowns since Monday.

As the UK's worst week of travel disruption for more than 18 years persisted, Transport Secretary Geoff Hoon reportedly called on Britons to "stop whingeing" and queried why more drivers have not acquired snow chains for their cars.

During a Westminster lunch, he was quoted as saying: "Why has nobody got snow chains and why are you all whingeing about what the Government hasn't done?"

The Department for Transport said his comments had been taken out of context.

di marco
07-02-2009, 16:48
As the UK's worst week of travel disruption for more than 18 years persisted, Transport Secretary Geoff Hoon reportedly called on Britons to "stop whingeing" and queried why more drivers have not acquired snow chains for their cars.

During a Westminster lunch, he was quoted as saying: "Why has nobody got snow chains and why are you all whingeing about what the Government hasn't done?"

tbh though, why would you buy snow chains for your car when you dont normally need them? i didnt even know you could buy them in this country. and anyway that wouldnt have solved the problem of there being no public transport! why didnt the government buy snow chains for the buses lol?! :rolleyes:

Abbie
07-02-2009, 17:19
Exactly, I mean fair enough people complain no about the weather but when was it last like this, 10 years ago???
Its a waste of money, the government need to spend money on things that happen every day not once every decade

Kim
08-02-2009, 00:18
They've been going on about how we should all walk more and use public transport but as soon as it gets like this suddenly they want everyone to drive with snow chains on their cars :rolleyes: So much for the avoiding using cars in snow that's been advised.

I think it's more once in every 20; on the front page of the newspaper the other day it said the worst snow in 18 years.

What do snow chains do for people that can't drive or can't afford to have a car in the economic downturn, Mr Transport Secretary?

DaVeyWaVey
08-02-2009, 09:38
Hopefully this cold and snowy winter will equal a nice hot summer!

pinkles14
08-02-2009, 22:39
Its snowing here it has been for about an hour.....

Abbie
08-02-2009, 22:41
Its been snowing all day here, although it didnt settle at first but then it did then stopped, its got colder so it will be icy, I hope it snows through the night

I dont know about anybody else but im getting used to the cold now it doesnt even bother me that much anymore :p

StarsOfCCTV
08-02-2009, 23:58
Wouldn't hold your breath Davey. :p

Its meant to snow here on Tuesday.

Perdita
09-02-2009, 05:49
Snowed a little yesterday where I live, it is snowing a fair bit now and I had a very dicey drive to work on snowy and icy roads. :(

Abbie
09-02-2009, 17:51
We had rain today :(

Perdita
09-02-2009, 18:06
Been snowing a few times all day but is not really sticking. More on the way though according to latest forecast :(

StarsOfCCTV
09-02-2009, 18:29
Its been raining all day. Oh if only it would turn to snow! :p

Trinity
09-02-2009, 18:30
We still have snow lying that fell LAST Monday!

We had another heavy fall last night and my younger son is out sledging.

I wish it would go away :(

Chris_2k11
09-02-2009, 21:40
Been none here for a few days now

09-02-2009, 22:10
It's snowed here again tonight! :(
I want it to go away now!
Down by me is not so bad, but my friends live up towards the mountain and they have loads!... school is also up high, so I dioubt there'll be school tomorrow :( I miss school now, never thought I'd say it! Haha but I do have some work to get on with so if school si cancelled I'm hibernating.

DaVeyWaVey
09-02-2009, 22:12
Snowing here and it's starting to stick. I didn't think it would as it's been raining most of the day, but it's falling down at a fast rate. I have to admit I'd fancy another day off...:o I have enough work to do at home anyway.

Abbie
09-02-2009, 22:14
Can I have your snow? :D

09-02-2009, 22:16
Abbie you're more than welcome to mine!

At dancing the snow was quite slushy because of the rain aswell so walking dow the steep hill was a right laugh.. :lol:

Abbie
09-02-2009, 22:19
:D good :p

We are suppose to get some tonight, but it hasnt started yet :hmm:

Trinity
10-02-2009, 08:36
Minus 7oC when I left the house this morning - and we still have snow that fell 8 days ago - plus some more.

Beautiful sunny day though

Perdita
10-02-2009, 08:51
Pouring down with rain, most of the snow gone now :cheer: but more snow to come tomorrow :(

Layne
10-02-2009, 09:36
We've had more .... which doesn't help as my culdesac and road are just layered with ice, snow, ice, snow, ice and now more snow - all neighbours are helped dig everyone out the snow :rolleyes: I HATE IT. I actually wanted to go to school - and my driving test will be cancelled tomorrow for the second time :rolleyes:

Chloe O'brien
10-02-2009, 12:25
We had more snow on Sunday night, it started around 6pm and continued through the early hours. No flaming gritters in sight. I had to walk 1/2 mile to get the bus as they couldn't get up the hill to their usual route. Icy today but supposed to be getting more snow.

Abbie
10-02-2009, 17:10
No snow now :(

di marco
10-02-2009, 21:50
we havent had any more snow, though when i was on the train yesterday going up to london there was still loads of snow in some of the fields!

di marco
10-02-2009, 21:51
I dont know about anybody else but im getting used to the cold now it doesnt even bother me that much anymore :p

i thought it had been getting warmer cos it doesnt seem as cold or maybe im just getting used to it!

Abbie
10-02-2009, 22:23

i thought it had been getting warmer cos it doesnt seem as cold or maybe im just getting used to it!

I thought that but the temperature has sorta been the same minus the snow :(

Perdita
11-02-2009, 06:16
Where I live it is compulsory to clear the footpath/pavement in front of your house by around 6 am. I am not a happy teddy getting up at 5.30 to shovel snow and grit where the paperboy/postman will walk and then again at night time. It is snowing again now, so more snow clearance when I get home :crying:

Layne
11-02-2009, 11:52
Roads are bad here - test got cancelled AGAIN :(

di marco
11-02-2009, 14:50
Where I live it is compulsory to clear the footpath/pavement in front of your house by around 6 am. I am not a happy teddy getting up at 5.30 to shovel snow and grit where the paperboy/postman will walk and then again at night time. It is snowing again now, so more snow clearance when I get home :crying:

where i live, if you clear your drive/pavement outside your house and someone slips and hurts themselves they can sue you, so most people in our street dont bother clearing it

Perdita
11-02-2009, 15:04
It is the opposite here, if you don't clear the snow and somebody slips and hurts themselves, they can drag you to court. :(

Chris_2k11
11-02-2009, 23:04
still none here, i think we've had ours now :)

Abbie
11-02-2009, 23:05

Same here :(

di marco
12-02-2009, 12:23

Same here :(

same here :( i doubt its gonna snow again

Trinity
12-02-2009, 13:07
We had a good 3 hours of heavy snow this morning - don't know what it is like at home but it is bound to have lain on all that frozen snow from last week and the week before.

Highs of 7-oC due at the weekend though - that should get rid of it all! :thumbsup:

di marco
12-02-2009, 18:01
it seemed colder here today than it has done in ages, but i dont think its going to snow again which is weird

Trinity
12-02-2009, 19:07
We have drizzle, ladies and gentlemen - Murieston is defrosting, lol.

Layne
12-02-2009, 19:29
Roads are clearing really well - and then SNOW again :rolleyes: Only a couple of cm's but still :| :| :|

di marco
12-02-2009, 22:26
my mum says its snowing again where i live at home, and that it was apparently snowing in london earlier so its making its way south so that i might get some too! :D my housemate said when she came in that it was attempting to snow lol but nothing proper yet!

StarsOfCCTV
12-02-2009, 22:28
It was sleeting earlier but the only place it was settling was on cars. :lol:

di marco
12-02-2009, 22:32
It was sleeting earlier but the only place it was settling was on cars. :lol:

oh right. my mum said it was laying at home so maybe its getting heavier as it comes south!

Chloe O'brien
12-02-2009, 23:50
We had sleet and snow today again and the stuff from Sunday hasn't melted yet I am getting sick of the snow now. Slipped on black ice yesterday morning and landed on my backside going to work.

StarsOfCCTV
12-02-2009, 23:59
I did that too today. :lol:

Trinity
13-02-2009, 09:53
Defrost stopped not long after it started - now we have frozen slush and still a couple of inches of snow on gardens!

12 days now under snow - this is a record for me.

Perdita
13-02-2009, 10:00
Defrost stopped not long after it started - now we have frozen slush and still a couple of inches of snow on gardens!

12 days now under snow - this is a record for me.

Thought you live in Scotland - I have never been but think of Scotland as snowy in winter. :searchme:
Snowing quite heavily where I live for the past couple of hours :(

Trinity
13-02-2009, 12:08
I do live in Scotland, in the central belt. Basically we have snow on high ground a lot over the winter - e.g. Glenshee, Aviemore and the other ski centres. In the lowlands we do have snow maybe 5-6 times generally over the winter but it is often gone within the day. We might have 1 or 2 more sustained falls over the winter - but 11 days on the trot is very unusual for here. The previous record for my street in the time that I have lived here (very scientific) is about 5 days - and that is a once every two years kind of event.

di marco
13-02-2009, 12:10
we had some snow last night, it wasnt very heavy though and it had all gone from my garden this morning, although there was still a bit of it left up at uni

Chloe O'brien
13-02-2009, 23:26
One of my work colleagues was in Poland last weekend and she said it was 12 degrees there. I said it must have felt like the caribeean as it was flaming -12 here.

di marco
14-02-2009, 18:00
One of my work colleagues was in Poland last weekend and she said it was 12 degrees there. I said it must have felt like the caribeean as it was flaming -12 here.

lol! on the world weather thing, i noticed it said that in florida i think it was that it was going to be 17 degrees and said that was a severe weather warning cos of the coldness!

Abbie
15-02-2009, 00:18

lol! on the world weather thing, i noticed it said that in florida i think it was that it was going to be 17 degrees and said that was a severe weather warning cos of the coldness!

lol that is cold for Florida! :lol:

We havent had any snow or ice for ages now
My gran in sunderland said shes had some pretty bad snow

Kim
15-02-2009, 18:29
None here in ages either. There were still patches on my friend's driveway the other day :eek: Snow hardly ever sticks here.

Perdita
16-02-2009, 06:27
Snowed all day yesterday, this morning it is turning all slushy and makes driving a car a total nightmare again. More snow forecast for the rest of the week. I have had enough now, wants some warmer temperatures and no more of the icy stuff. :crying:

di marco
16-02-2009, 16:09
we havent had any more snow. there was still some on the side of the motorway yesterday in northern kent though

Perdita
17-02-2009, 06:43
Most of it gone as it rained for most of yesterday and still is a little bit now. :cheer: Makes driving to work much safer.

Perdita
25-03-2009, 07:51
We have got snow again and it is sooo cold :crying: :crying: :crying:
Forecast is for it to continue for a few more days. :(

Abbie
25-03-2009, 14:05
Awww no fair we have like gale force winds and rain

di marco
25-03-2009, 19:56
we had hailstones today, they were very cold! but no snow!

Perdita
07-04-2009, 15:54
Just had a very heavy hail storm, tv reception went and the garden looked very white, covered in quite large hail stones. Now the sun is shining again - the first April shower of this year :D

Abbie
07-04-2009, 19:15
:eek: sounds scary, although something like that happened here earlier

Its been really nice all day, sunny and stuff and then just for a couple of minitues this afternoon it started chucking it now with rain, but it looked like some of it wsa hailstones, the way it was hitting off my window

Then it was fine

Perdita
07-04-2009, 19:22
My car alarm is sooo sensitive, the slightest bit of hail stones and it keeps going off. Luckily I can turn it off through the hall way window and don't have to go downstairs all the time.

di marco
07-04-2009, 22:04
a few weeks ago we had really big hailstones, they really hurt! :(