PDA

View Full Version : Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden)

Matty L
01-03-2005, 16:20
It was confirmed in an interview with the News of the World, Steve McFadden is starting filming today for the return of Phil Mitchell, this is great news as he is one of my two favourite characters in EE, the other being Grant Mitchell (Ross Kemp). How will they bring him back considering he is on the run from the police? :confused:

crazygirl
01-03-2005, 16:21
anything can happen in e/e, it will be in the papers next week

Cupcake
01-03-2005, 17:53
Lol, goodie doodie:)

instinct
02-03-2005, 08:54
i heard if u jump bail or somthing for a year you can get away with the crime unless its murder or something. tell me what u think

Crazzykayzz
02-03-2005, 19:32
hi instinct! i kinda agree with u there! bt i dont really no! 2 be honest with u! lol...........hehe.................

Matty L
03-03-2005, 11:48
hi everyone! just wondering now we know Steve McFadden has returned and is filming his return, apparently he started on Tuesday, is there any news in any of the papers about how he returns, what he does and how hes caught by the police? has anyone seen anything, :confused: many thanks

:cool:

crazygirl
03-03-2005, 11:51
hi everyone! just wondering now we know Steve McFadden has returned and is filming his return, apparently he started on Tuesday, is there any news in any of the papers about how he returns, what he does and how hes caught by the police? has anyone seen anything, :confused: many thanks

:cool:
it is mentioned further down the board that he returns for a couple of episodes, he gets caught and put in jail and when peggy returns in summer she bails him out

Matty L
03-03-2005, 11:54
many thanks for the reply :) I know he comes back for two episodes before he is put in jail until Peggy returns, but was just wondering how he shows up and what he does for those 2 episodes before he is caught :)

soap_angel
03-03-2005, 12:10
He probably just turns up out of the blue and starts roaming around shocking everyone. For the two episodes he will probably just find out that all his businesses have been taken over upset someone (as usual), so they ring the police to tell them he's back in the square.

crazygirl
03-03-2005, 12:11
many thanks for the reply :) I know he comes back for two episodes before he is put in jail until Peggy returns, but was just wondering how he shows up and what he does for those 2 episodes before he is caught :)
ooh i dont know i guess he will be going off his head with sam with losing all his property!!

SuzSquirrel
03-03-2005, 14:29
That would be good, I could see Phil and Chrissie getting together,...lol

Treacle
03-03-2005, 15:01
Phil is going to go to prison which is a good thing IMHO. A plausible return.

sweety<3chickxx
03-03-2005, 17:29
hes gunna go bk 2 jail till peggy cums bk in summer to get him out he only films 2 episodes!

Carrie Bradshaw
22-09-2005, 13:19
Phil Mitchells Return!

After Sharon and Dennis found out the truth that Sam didn't do the deed, it was their wicked step-mother Chrissie Watts, Dennis decides that it is time he helped not so innocent Phil be released after Den Watts set him up. Dennis helped Den, he picked him up after leaving Phil locked inside the warehouse and drove him back. Dennis tells Billy this when they're at Scarlett drowning there sorrows. Billy immediately strikes up a deal with Dennis, is it Billys chance to become a Proper Mitchell?

Source - Wick Today

amyle
22-09-2005, 14:07
ohh ......

crazygirl
22-09-2005, 14:08
omg cant wait to see this

alkalinetrio
22-09-2005, 14:13
cool:D:D

Matty L
22-09-2005, 14:19
Phil Mitchells Return!

After Sharon and Dennis found out the truth that Sam didn't do the deed, it was their wicked step-mother Chrissie Watts, Dennis decides that it is time he helped not so innocent Phil be released after Den Watts set him up. Dennis helped Den, he picked him up after leaving Phil locked inside the warehouse and drove him back. Dennis tells Billy this when they're at Scarlett drowning there sorrows. Billy immediately strikes up a deal with Dennis, is it Billys chance to become a Proper Mitchell?

Source - Wick Today

Where can this article be found? is it online?

Carrie Bradshaw
22-09-2005, 14:28
I don't know, it was posted on Talk Walford with that as its source.

shelleyspecs
22-09-2005, 14:57
omg!ee at its best

Jessie Wallace
22-09-2005, 15:13
kool, let's hope it's true. Sounds good if it is.

dddMac1
22-09-2005, 15:14
sounds good.Eastenders is back to how it should be at last

i_luv_dennis
22-09-2005, 17:10
sound good cant wait to see it

Flozza
22-09-2005, 21:36
kl looks gd XXX

instinct
22-09-2005, 22:47
does phil know that dennis helped den out because he might be mad at him when he is released but sounds good anyway

Johnny Allen
23-09-2005, 10:04
does phil know that dennis helped den out because he might be mad at him when he is released but sounds good anyway

Yeah he does, the pair of them set him up.

littlemo
23-09-2005, 14:09
Yeah he does, the pair of them set him up.

I don't think Phil does realise that Dennis was behind it, he may have worked it out by now but Den was the front man in the whole scheme, all Dennis did was pretend to be drunk, and Phil fell for it hook line and sinker. The only reason Phil was angry at Dennis at Christmas was because he slept with Kate. I'm pretty sure Dennis's involvement wasn't mentioned. The only people who know Dennis was involved is Den, Sharon and possibly Chrissie.

kayla05
23-09-2005, 16:29
Sounds good! Cant wait untill he gets out.

kelly05
23-09-2005, 18:17
At least it's a plausible reason for Phil to get out of jail!! But won't Dennis get into trouble for being an accessory to the crime, and withholding this information for so long?

Bryan
23-09-2005, 19:05
well there we go its logical and will work...it had to be dennis or the security guard that gave evidence to equit phil...but seen as dennis and phil are big enemies i never thought it would be dennis!!!!

tammyy2j
27-02-2006, 09:51
Phil Mitchell is to turn back into an alcoholic and hit the bottle big time after Ben becomes scared of him and refuses to live with the Mitchells.

Source Tina Baker

crazygirl
27-02-2006, 10:44
really! well phil was better when he was a alcoholic!

Jojo
27-02-2006, 11:34
You can't blame Ben though, I mean, how many times has he actually seen Phil in the past 10 years and how often has he seen Ian in the past 10 years - to lose your mum and the person you looked at as your dad in that way and then be shipped 1/2 way across the world to have someone you don't know trying to force you to live with them, I think I'd stick with my step-brother that I have seen a few times too..

Siobhan
27-02-2006, 11:43
yeah me too and we don't know what Kathy has said to ben about his dad. Plus if Phil is hitting the bottle then can he really look after a child

JustJodi
27-02-2006, 11:46
Phil Mitchell is to turn back into an alcoholic and hit the bottle big time after Ben becomes scared of him and refuses to live with the Mitchells.

Source Tina Baker

Something this bad would only cause a recovering alcoholic to fall off the wagon, hes been pretty good staying off the sauce, this issue with Ben must be quite a big issue to rattle old beet root.

Tanya
27-02-2006, 11:47
i, too, hope ben goes to ian, even tho he has 3 kids living in his house already, he would be by far the better person to raise ben, especially if phill returns to drinking

Siobhan
27-02-2006, 11:48
i, too, hope ben goes to ian, even tho he has 3 kids living in his house already, he would be by far the better person to raise ben, especially if phill returns to drinking

I think Peggy will say different

Jojo
27-02-2006, 11:49
Especially as he's a true Mitchell!!

JustJodi
27-02-2006, 11:51
Especially as he's a true Mitchell!!

And Heir to the Mitchells MILLIONS ( that seems to come out of a black hole some where ) :rotfl: Yup Peggy will fight ..

Tanya
27-02-2006, 11:55
peggy annoys me sooooooooooo much, i'm glad shes back but shes got a big mouth for such a small women

lisa cullumbine
27-02-2006, 12:57
:angry: oh please i was hoping they would come up with something better than that going down the same old roads is soooooooooooo boring

Katy
27-02-2006, 14:37
i think Ben coming will creat the biggest Beale Mitchell feud we have seen yet. I d like to see the kid with Phil. hitting the bottle may lead to the bad old days.

Bryan
27-02-2006, 17:49
drunk Phil is the best Phil! sounds good! cant wait to see how this unfolds...as Phil want let Ian win this without a fight

DaVeyWaVey
27-02-2006, 18:05
This sounds like another good storyline that Eastenders is producing. I hope Ben goes to Ian as he would be a far better parent towards him and if Phil returns to drink, then Phil's chances of getting Ben would be very slim.
By the way, I think Peggy is a legend :D

littlemo
27-02-2006, 18:20
I think any child would be scared of Phil, he's a maniac! Phil's his father so I reckon he should have some rights but I don't want it to end up like Phil and Jamie all over again. Maybe he should live with Ian for the moment. Although if this fling with Jane and Grant causes her and Ian to split up, he's going to be raising 4 children on his own. How does Ian cope with it all? Poor man!

alan45
27-02-2006, 18:44
If the Poison Dwarf was my mother I would hit the bottle too

Cornishbabe
27-02-2006, 18:45
I think this is going to make a good storyline. ben would enjoy living with his brother and his kids more than phil the alcholic who wants to kill jonny allen. I think its good that eastenders are showing he hasnt given up drink in one easy step. I think the whole storyline will make a great viewing.

megan999
12-03-2006, 18:07
I think the whole storyline will make a great viewing.

I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing this storyline too because I haven't seen Phil in the days when he was an alcoholic. Phil is going to want to smash Ian's face in when Ben says he wants to stay with Ian!!!

dddMac1
13-03-2006, 16:21
Ian would be better of looking after Ben then

x Amby x
13-03-2006, 16:27
it hink this would be a good storyline, however if Phil turns to drink Ian will probably end up with Ben!

Johnny Allen
13-03-2006, 16:59
Great storyline, and one that would certainly be realistic. I think we ought to start taking bets on hang long it will be before Phil shoves Ian's head down a loo, or how long before he punches him in a drunken rage.

megan999
13-03-2006, 19:40
From the Sunday Mirror, 12 March 2006

"Make a Wish, Ian"

Ian Beale gets his just deserts for crossing EastEnders hardman Phil Mitchell. In an explosive storyline, Phil (Steve McFadden) holds Ian's head over a birthday cake with burning candles after finding that his son Ben has secretly returned to Walford with half-brother Ian (Adam Woodyatt). He lashes out as Ian secretly lays on a 10th birthday party for Ben. A TV insider revealed:"It gets worse when Phil bursts through the back door to find his own mother Peggy (Barbara Windsor) helping out." The epidsode is on BBC1 on March 23.

crazygirl
14-03-2006, 09:35
that sounds good cant wait for that episode

no1abbafan
14-03-2006, 09:49
Great idea EE writers, lets go back 5 years or so when Phil was hitting the bottle and re-hash old stories - what do they get paid for.

eastenders mad
14-03-2006, 10:06
Bad idea Ian will get his just desserts. They should have told Phil straight awayto give him a chance.

x Amby x
14-03-2006, 14:24
I think Ben is better off with Phil as after all he is his father!

crazygirl
14-03-2006, 18:25
phil holds ian's face over ben's birthday cake while the candles are lit!!

lisa cullumbine
15-03-2006, 12:36
:cheer: got any pics of this sounds great like the old days with phil and ian

Siobhan
15-03-2006, 12:39
phil holds ian's face over ben's birthday cake while the candles are lit!!

Oh how original.. could he not find a toilet quick enough (damn no bored smilie)

Keating's babe
15-03-2006, 12:44
I have to say Phil has every right to be angry with Ian and Peggy. Phil is Ben's father and should have been told that Kathy and her husband died in a car crash. Imagine if you were in that position and found out weeks later. I would be livid.

crazygirl
15-03-2006, 14:24
:cheer: got any pics of this sounds great like the old days with phil and ianits in this weeks 'whats on tv' mag

Dutchgirl
21-03-2006, 16:59
18 March 2006
PHIL GOES ON A BEN-DER
The Mitchell bruvs are reunited after Phil finds out son Ben is living with Ian

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/m2/mar2006/2/9/00076239-9A5D-141A-80F60C02AC1BF824.jpg

Brace yourself Albert Square. The bruvs are back in town. And if that sends a jolt of fear through Beale The Squeal, then that's exactly the way viewers like it.

Ever since his late mother Kathy walked down the aisle with Philthy Phil Mitchell 11 years ago, Ian's feud with his brute of a stepdad has provided some of Walford's most acrimonious entertainment.

So imagine Phil's reaction when he strolls unsuspectingly into the Vic during Friday's hour-long episode only to discover that his ex-wife is dead, nobody has deigned to inform him, and that his old mum Peggy is hobnobbing with his avowed enemy, Ian.

Unaware that they are belatedly celebrating son Ben's tenth birthday, he bursts into the Squeal's and forces his face frighteningly close to the burning candles on the new Wembley Stadium-shaped cake Ian has baked. While the flickering flames are not exactly an inferno of blowtorches, they can still singe eyebrows well enough.

'Where's my son?' Philthy growls, as Peggy trembles. 'Tell me. Where's Ben?'

Watching his furious father terrorise his quaking half-brother, as it happens...

Sensitively played by youngster Charlie Jones, Ben is a lost little soul, a half-pint version of Harry Potter with a hearing aid. He is struggling to cope after the sudden death of his mother, then uprooted from his home in South Africa to live with Ian. It's tear-jerking stuff, with a particularly tender scene between big-hearted Minty and the little chap. Gruff Phil even calms down and gives his son a late birthday gift. Then he tries to win him over with an adventure in the Arches. Not that the Squeal is pleased...

'Some people aren't fit to be fathers,' Ian snaps, probably after taking a brave pill. 'You can bully me all you like, but you are not gunna shove 'is 'ead down the toilet. That's right, mate,' he tells Ben, pulling him away. 'That's what 'e's done to me. Three times.'

Families, eh? Then just as Philthy decides to go on a Ben-der and open a bottle of booze, life gets a little more complicated.

' 'Ello, bruv,' Grunt beams as he suddenly pops up at the garage. ' 'Ow ya doin'?' On a scale of one to 10? Zero, mate.

Soapbox, Mirror

Perdita
10-06-2010, 09:39
EastEnders hardman Phil Mitchell is to develop an addiction to crack cocaine in a forthcoming storyline, it has emerged.

The Walford tough guy - played by 51-year-old Steve McFadden - becomes hooked on the drug after troubles in his personal life lead to a battle with depression.

Phil, who has already experienced an ongoing alcohol problem throughout his time on the Albert Square soap, has turbulent times ahead as he faces the prospect of losing his daughter Louise (Brittany Papple). As previously announced, Louise's mum Lisa (Lucy Benjamin) is making a one-off return to the programme later this year in a bid to retrieve the child.

Meanwhile, Phil's son Ben (Charlie Jones) is already known to be taking a temporary exit from the serial before returning with a new actor playing the part. Details of how he will depart are currently being kept under wraps, but it is thought that the circumstances will be dramatic.

Confirming the drug addiction plot, a BBC spokeswoman said: "EastEnders has a history of tackling social issues. We are working closely with drug and alcohol charities, including Addaction and DrugScope to make sure that we sensitively reflect this difficult issue."

Speaking to The Mirror, a Walford insider added: "Bosses thought long and hard about the storyline. It will be shocking, powerful and dramatic. At no point will viewers see Phil take drugs to ensure the episodes are suitable for the audience."

DrugScope's chief executive Martin Barnes predicted that the hard-hitting story is likely to have a positive impact. He said: "If EastEnders sensitively reflect the impact that drug use has on Phil, it could help."

The plotline is expected to air in the summer.

tammyy2j
10-06-2010, 13:10
Doesnt Billy have drugs he got from the mail?

moonstorm
10-06-2010, 13:14
Exactly Tammy, what on earth happened to them????

alan45
10-06-2010, 13:17
Sounds like Phil has overdosed on the crack beetroot

LostVoodoo
10-06-2010, 19:41
wow, that is pretty tough for EE, but i think Phil is the right character to use. he probably thinks he can handle it like he tells himself with the booze. when was the last time a British soap did a proper hard drugs storyline? I'll always think of Jimmy Corkhill in Brookside.

lizann
11-06-2010, 14:10
Why couldnt it be another character like Billy other than Phil - Phil is already an addict to drink

Siobhan
11-06-2010, 14:11
Why couldnt it be another character like Billy other than Phil - Phil is already an addict to drink

I think it makes it easier to accept.. we already know that Phil has addiction problems.. for someone like billy, he doesn't have this addictive personality and where would he get the money for cocaine? he is always broke

Perdita
20-07-2010, 14:59
Steve McFadden has revealed that his recent weight loss is down to a strict regime, as well as an upcoming EastEnders plot.

The 51-year-old actor, who portrays Phil Mitchell in the Walford serial, admitted that he piled on weight due to his two-year break in 2003.

He told TV Times: "I left because I was exhausted. All I wanted to do was travel and eat curry and ice-cream, which I did for two years. I put on quite a bit of weight. Then the phone call came."

Speaking about his recent weight loss, the star divulged: "I stick to the regime rigidly - I've been doing it for two-and-a-half years. I've also lost quite a bit of weight for this drugs storyline.

"I'm the slimmest I've been for ages. I did it with a crash diet, which I wouldn't normally advocate. I felt it was important to lose weight, as I don't think food is very high on Phil's list of priorities!"

Of his upcoming drug addiction storyline, he explained: "You can hear it in my voice. I'm really tired and my eyes are sore - doing a storyline like this drains the life out of you.

"After my first day of shooting the crack story, I went and ate two ice-creams and had some fizzy drinks - you know, food that real addicts crave."

McFadden added: "Then I fell asleep in my dressing room for two hours. You do have to live it to some extent."

Perdita
03-08-2010, 06:29
EastEnders' Phil Mitchell stumbles around his house looking for drugs after turning into a crack addict.

The hardman, played by Steve McFadden, 51, goes into meltdown after his daughter is taken from him by former lover Lisa (Lucy Benjamin, 40).

He hooks up with local druggie Rainie and they knock back loads of booze.

An insider said: “They turn his house into a drug den and Phil ends up rifling his bins for left-over drugs.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/soaperstar/view/147347/Eastenders-Phil-Mitchell-s-crack-binge-after-custody-battle-blow/

tammyy2j
03-08-2010, 11:17
Rainie is Tanya's sister

Perdita
03-08-2010, 11:27
I know, she caused trouble between Max and Tanya before and looks like she is back to cause some more trouble in Albert Square, Max was right not to trust her saying she got herself clean :(

Dutchgirl
04-08-2010, 15:48
Oh yeah right. She is. Well did Shirley leave him? As his house is to be a drug den.

So it is clear that another actor will play Ben? I'm curious what he will be like. It will be a bit surreal if he sudden becomes a hard man like his dad. Or will he put on ballet shoes when no one is around.

Dazzle
04-08-2010, 15:53
Shirley will leave Phil when she finds him and Rainie high and naked together.

I hope that the new Ben's personality isn't completely different. While it's likely that being in a detention centre would change him a little, I don't think it would give him a complete personality transplant. It'll be boring if he becomes Phil no. 2.

Perdita
10-08-2010, 01:11
PHIL MITCHELL breaks down as his friends force him to go cold turkey from his crack habit.

The mechanic (Steve McFadden, 52) is locked in the Arches with his former lover Shirley Carter, (Linda Henry, 47).

Phil has become hooked on the drug after watching his family fall apart.

Realising he has hit rock bottom, his mates lock him in his garage to stop him hunting for his next fix. And he breaks down when it dawns on him how low he has sunk.

Daily Star

Perdita
11-08-2010, 06:24
EASTENDERS is in trouble over its latest storyline about hardman Phil Mitchell turning into a crackhead.

Viewers have fired off 200 complaints to the Beeb over scenes showing Phil (Steve McFadden, 51) and pal Rainie (Tanya Franks, 42) drugged up before the 9pm watershed.

But BBC bosses have defended the episode. A spokeswoman said: “We feel Phil’s decline will highlight the destructive nature of drugs, and rather than encourage drug use, will act as a deterrent.”

Siobhan
11-08-2010, 09:01
but we didn't see them use drugs just the after affects.. Phil not breathing right etc..

Dutchgirl
11-08-2010, 09:03
You could see very clearly that it did a lot of damage. It did not look glamorous or cool in any way. It was al very raw. Steve Mc Fadden and Raini ( do not know her name) are doing the storyline justice.

Perdita
11-08-2010, 09:38
The BBC has hit back at complaints that EastEnders scenes showing Phil Mitchell and Rainie Cross under the influence of drugs were inappropriate.

Phil (Steve McFadden) and Rainie (Tanya Franks) were seen using crack cocaine in Monday night's episode, which The Sun reports prompted over 200 complaints.

In a statement the BBC said: "EastEnders has a history of tackling social issues and this drugs storyline follows that tradition.

"We acknowledge that some viewers may consider this storyline challenging, however EastEnders in no way - and at no point - glamorises or condones the use of drugs, and furthermore we took great care to avoid any demonstration on how to prepare or take drugs."

It continued: "We feel that Phil's decline will highlight the destructive nature of drugs, and rather than encourage drug use, will act as a deterrent."

The statement goes on to say that care was taken to warn viewer's about the episode's content through "programme publicity and billings". The corporation's Action Line was also highlighted for anyone affected by the issues.

"We worked closely with drug and alcohol charities, including Addaction and DrugScope, throughout the editorial process to ensure that we handled the storyline accurately and sensitively," the statement added.

Tanya Franks recently told DS that the show had been "brave" to highlight the issue "within the restrictions of the timeslot".

Last month the BBC soap was forced to defend itself following complaints about the treatment of the Qu'ran and the Lucas Johnson storyline.

Perdita
11-08-2010, 10:14
Steve McFadden has revealed that his EastEnders alter ego Phil Mitchell will show worse violence in upcoming episodes.

Phil punched his mum Peggy last Tuesday, before resorting to alcohol and crack cocaine as the week progressed.

McFadden teased of the storyline to Soaplife: "He's hit his kids and his mum, so yes, [worse violence is] something he's capable of.

"All he can see is Peggy’s betrayed him. She knows how much he fought for custody, for contact and how important it was for him to see his children. He's really angry about it and feels the world is against him."

He added: "What he's really doing is self-harm which is a common response to anger. People do crazy, mad things like this when they’re desperate. It’s very ugly and disturbing.

"Phil blames her for the mess he's in. She gave Louise away and he thinks she was instrumental in losing Ben because she was the one who persuaded him to stay when he wanted to leg it."

alan45
11-08-2010, 11:44
Steve McFadden has hinted that his EastEnders character Phil Mitchell will stay with Shirley Carter in the long-term.

Speaking to What's On TV, the actor claimed that Shirley - played by Linda Henry - is Phil's best chance of happiness.

He explained: "Shirley’s the one person who offers Phil the opportunity to have an equal relationship with a woman."

Phil's previous girlfriends have included Sharon Watts (Letitia Dean), Lisa Fowler (Lucy Benjamin) and evil Stella Crawford (Sophie Thompson).

lizann
20-08-2010, 11:31
EastEnders star Tanya Franks has spoken out in defence of her crack cocaine storyline.

In the soap, her drug addict character Rainie has helped lure Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden) into smoking the drug, and the plot has prompted many complaints from viewers.

But the actress told the Sun: "I wasn't surprised that people complained because it's pushed a boundary. But in my opinion, the good that comes from storylines like this far outweighs whatever concerns people may have."

She went on: "It's been very well handled and as true and real as it could be before the watershed. They've been very brave with it and I give full credit to EastEnders for that."

Tanya, who is also a familiar from sitcom Pulling, added: "If EastEnders has saved one life by putting this story out it's been worth it."

She has been in touch with the DrugScope charity to research the role, and said she understood that "this drug grips you from the first hit".

sean slater
26-08-2010, 14:40
I reckon Phil will be back to his old self before we know it. It wouldnt be Eastenders without a semi-functioning Phil Mitchell.

alan45
02-09-2010, 10:40
Barbara Windsor has teased next week's EastEnders, which will see the Queen Vic destroyed in a fire.

Windsor, who announced last October that she was leaving the soap, revealed that events leading up to the blaze see Peggy determined to help her son Phil (Steve McFadden) overcome his drug problem.

"Peggy's heartbroken when she finds Phil slumped in some sort of drugs den," she told Soaplife. "But it puts the fighting spirit back into her and she gets Phil home determined to sort him out.

"The rest of the family think Peggy's crazy as Phil’s behaving like an animal, but she soldiers on and locks him up. Peggy's doing what she thinks is best for Phil as she loves him so much. She won't give up on him."

After accusing her of loving The Vic more than him, Phil carries out his threat to burn the pub down.

"Rather than run for her life she wants to try to stop the fire," she said. "But Phil grabs the extinguisher off her and the fire gets out of control too quickly and she's forced to flee with everyone else.

"Peggy makes it out alive, but then realises Phil hasn't. He's trying to break into the till for money and a beam falls and knocks him out."

She added: "Once she is outside, Peggy goes back in to find him."

alan45
03-10-2010, 13:53
Gillian Taylforth has stated that only her Eastenders character Kathy Beale could rid former on-screen husband Phil Mitchell of his drug addiction.

The Footballers' Wives actress, who starred in the BBC soap from 1985 to 2000, argued that her character had the ability to turn Mitchell's life around again after helping him through his alcoholism in a previous storyline.

Speaking to Inside Soap magazine, Taylforth commented: "It sounds as though everything is going downhill for Phil again, doesn't it? If Kathy was still alive, I think she'd get in there and sort it all out - she was always like that, wasn't she?"

"Good old Kathy, always someone to rely on. She was really a very strong character and I did like that about her. Kathy would do anything for her family and she'd easily sort all those problems out for Phil!"

Taylforth added that show bosses had wasted the opportunity for her triumphant return to Albert Square by killing her character in an off-screen car crash back in 2006.

"A producer phoned to tell me, and my first response was, 'Oh! Do you have to?' I didn't think it was the wisest move to have made because there was a lot more that could have been done with Kathy. It was the show's choice though, and that's just the way it goes."

Dutchgirl
03-10-2010, 13:59
Well the only was to kill her off. Otherwise it wouldn't have made sense that ben would live with Phil.

sean slater
03-10-2010, 18:37
Yeh. Well they could have done a 'Louise' and have him run away. But from South Africa a 10 year old maybe a bit too much.

sean slater
03-10-2010, 18:38
maybe it could be a case of mistaken identity? ha

Jakes_stuff
03-10-2010, 19:07
If they really wanted to, they could brring Kathy back no problem. We never saw the death on screen, and it could be easily explained away by saying she'd been in witness protection or something.

CrazyLea
03-10-2010, 21:30
Don't give them ideas Jakes_stuff :p

Chloe O'brien
04-10-2010, 01:05
Don't you just love disoloutional soap stars. Yeah lets raise the dead that will work. How about bringing back Reg Cox's. He could wake up in his flat and say I've just had a strange dream thinking I was murdered 25 years ago by Nick Cotton. :lol: Kathy is forgetting one thing about her marriage to Phil. He loved Sharon more than he loved her.

alan45
24-11-2010, 13:21
Phil Mitchell's a remarkable guy, isn't he?

Not long ago he was snivelling wreck in the throes of an addiction to crack cocaine that saw him rummage around in bins, burn down a pub and drive his mum out of town.

Now he's, well, back to his old lovable self.

Some viewers may have found his apparently miraculous recovery hard to swallow, but EastEnders boss Bryan Kirkwood has defended it - and hinted there could be more to come.

He told the Radio Times: "Crack is a binge drug and advice we received from Dugscope suggest that drug users like Phil can have these binges and then abandon crack again.

"Phil has an iron will and now we've seen him throwing his mania and appetites into other things - his mentoring of Jay and his affair with Glenda. That's not to say he won't relapse. Who's to say what might happen in the future?"

Something cheery to look forward to then...

Dazzle
24-11-2010, 13:28
So Phil's going to have an affair with Glenda...

alan45
24-11-2010, 17:28
EastEnders' executive producer Bryan Kirkwood has refused to rule out the possibility of a drugs relapse for Phil Mitchell.

Earlier this year, viewers saw Phil hit rock bottom and become reliant on crack cocaine after his son Ben was sent to juvenile detention and his daughter Louise disappeared with mum Lisa.

However, since starting September's dramatic Queen Vic fire, Phil has managed to remain clean and he is now focusing his attentions on encouraging Jay Brown's growing interest in boxing.

Speaking to Radio Times about whether the character's quick recovery was realistic enough, Kirkwood explained: "Crack is a binge drug and advice we received from Drugscope suggests that drug users like Phil can have these binges and then abandon crack again.

"Phil has an iron will and now we've seen him throwing his mania and appetites into other things - his mentoring of Jay and his affair with Glenda. That's not to say he won't relapse. Who's to say what might happen in the future?"

Kirkwood has previously said that he would like to see Phil "take on the world and win" in future plots.

sean slater
25-11-2010, 01:54
I for one am glad that Phil's getting back on his feet. I like seeing him back to his old self. It was horrible seeing him on the drugs, he was a complete mess. I love Phil Mitchell as a character because he's a strong business man whose into a few dodgy deals. There's nobody else on the Square that fits that role at the moment.

Perdita
27-09-2011, 19:23
EastEnders star Steve McFadden has predicted that his character Phil Mitchell could return to his self-destructive ways in the coming weeks.

Phil's son Ben (Joshua Pascoe) has been tipped to come out as gay in a forthcoming episode after recently growing close to his boxing mentor Duncan (Steven France). Events take a new twist next week when Ben tells Phil that he panicked after Patrick saw him kissing 'someone', hinting at his secret.

McFadden told All About Soap of Phil's reaction: "[The penny] half drops, but he doesn't want to hear it. He says they're going to forget the conversation - it's classic denial, of course.

"Deep down, Phil is aware of what he's being told but he doesn't accept it. Therefore it isn't true in his eyes."

McFadden added that, rather than lashing out at Ben, Phil is more likely to punish himself as he struggles to come to terms with his son's sexuality.

"I think it's more likely to send him into self-destructive mode than for him to hit out," the actor said. "Phil hiding from it all in the bottle or by using drugs is definitely an option.

"It's his way of running away, like he did before when he couldn't cope with Peggy. He could end up on the drugs again."

EastEnders continues tonight at 7.30pm on BBC One.

tammyy2j
11-07-2013, 01:01
EastEnders hardman Phil Mitchell will be left fighting for his life this autumn as the soap airs one of its biggest ever stunts, Digital Spy can confirm.

Phil (Steve McFadden) will be left in a bad state after a dodgy deal with newcomer Carl White leads to a huge car crash.

The storyline begins when Phil becomes desperate to get his hands on some cash.

When Carl (Daniel Coonan) offers a potential solution, Phil has no choice but to agree. However, schemer Carl has ulterior motives and only agrees to tell Phil all the specific details of the planned deal when they are on their way.

It's clear that Phil has been wrong-footed by Albert Square's newest bad boy, but Carl soon poses another problem when he starts driving recklessly.

Carl's dangerous actions result in a massive car accident which leaves both men unconscious. In dramatic scenes, it's Phil who comes out worse as his life hangs in the balance.

While exact details of the major stunt sequence are being kept under wraps, insiders suggest that it will feature a helicopter and a flipped car.

The shock accident kicks off a huge autumn season for EastEnders, which will see the Mitchell family back at the forefront of the show.

An EastEnders source told Digital Spy: "The crash is going to change things for many residents in Albert Square. There will be serious repercussions and with the twists and turns we have planned for the aftermath, everything might not be as it seems."

EastEnders' executive producer Lorraine Newman added: "A suitably explosive start to a jam-packed autumn and winter full of love, romance and reprisals. Treats for audiences old and new. And one literal vanishing act... It's time to take your seats!"

This storyline will also lead to Barbara Windsor's return as Peggy Mitchell for a special episode. However, what state Peggy will find Phil in when she arrives remains to be seen.

lizann
11-07-2013, 21:01
just kill him off already how many lives has he got, so when in need of viewers put phil mitchell in hospital again, lame and pathetic from the writers

alan45
28-07-2013, 09:16
Eastenders actors Steve MacFadden and Daniel Coonan are set for a thrilling drive on the BBC soap.
The actors, who play longterm bad boy Phil Mitchell and newcomer Carl White, were seen filming a car chase in a red motor at the soap’s North London studios on Saturday.
The high-speed chase is set to end in Steve’s character Phil Mitchell hurtling through a windscreen and fighting for his life in a coma.

Boy racers: Phil (Steve McFadden) and Carl (Daniel Coonan) are involved in a car chase which will leave Phil in a coma
Phil and new character Carl White crash into a lorry on their way to undertake a dodgy deal.
The dramatic scenes, which reportedly cost the BBC £1 million, are part of the Beeb’s efforts to reverse this year’s major ratings slump.

A source for the soap said: ‘This is going to be the most dramatic and the most expensive stunt in EastEnders' history.’

Dodgy dealings: Phil, played by Steve MacFadden is to get into trouble yet again
‘No expense has been spared and show bosses are determined to make sure it is the most talked about TV moment of the year.’
The source explained that the crash will happen when ‘Carl gets distracted from the road and swerves into the path of a lorry, resulting in a huge smash.’
‘Phil flies through the windscreen on to the road, leaving him with terrible injuries’

Burning rubber: The pair are set to crash the car on their way to a dodgy deal, putting Phil Mitchell in hospital
The dramatic episode is expected to include a bird’s eye view of the aftermath of the accident taken from the helicopter which is used to fly Phil to hospital.
It is also set to see one of the show’s most iconic characters, Peggy Mitchell, played by Barbara Windsor who left the show in 2010, return to the soap to visit Phil in hospital.
The source added: 'EastEnders has been going through a bad time as far as ratings go. These days it's regularly the third most watched soap, way off Corrie and even behind Emmerdale.’

High-speed: The thrilling car chase will be filmed from a birds eye view and on the ground
In May this year, the show had just 5.2 million viewers— 2.3million fewer than Emmerdale attracted on the same night.
The show attracted a peak of 30 million viewers in the 80s, when Dirty Den (Leslie Grantham) gave Angie (Anita Dobson) divorce papers on Christmas Day.
Phil’s car crash is expected to be shown this autumn.

alan45
28-07-2013, 09:16
Eastenders actors Steve MacFadden and Daniel Coonan are set for a thrilling drive on the BBC soap.
The actors, who play longterm bad boy Phil Mitchell and newcomer Carl White, were seen filming a car chase in a red motor at the soap’s North London studios on Saturday.
The high-speed chase is set to end in Steve’s character Phil Mitchell hurtling through a windscreen and fighting for his life in a coma.

Boy racers: Phil (Steve McFadden) and Carl (Daniel Coonan) are involved in a car chase which will leave Phil in a coma
Phil and new character Carl White crash into a lorry on their way to undertake a dodgy deal.
The dramatic scenes, which reportedly cost the BBC £1 million, are part of the Beeb’s efforts to reverse this year’s major ratings slump.

A source for the soap said: ‘This is going to be the most dramatic and the most expensive stunt in EastEnders' history.’

Dodgy dealings: Phil, played by Steve MacFadden is to get into trouble yet again
‘No expense has been spared and show bosses are determined to make sure it is the most talked about TV moment of the year.’
The source explained that the crash will happen when ‘Carl gets distracted from the road and swerves into the path of a lorry, resulting in a huge smash.’
‘Phil flies through the windscreen on to the road, leaving him with terrible injuries’

Burning rubber: The pair are set to crash the car on their way to a dodgy deal, putting Phil Mitchell in hospital
The dramatic episode is expected to include a bird’s eye view of the aftermath of the accident taken from the helicopter which is used to fly Phil to hospital.
It is also set to see one of the show’s most iconic characters, Peggy Mitchell, played by Barbara Windsor who left the show in 2010, return to the soap to visit Phil in hospital.
The source added: 'EastEnders has been going through a bad time as far as ratings go. These days it's regularly the third most watched soap, way off Corrie and even behind Emmerdale.’

High-speed: The thrilling car chase will be filmed from a birds eye view and on the ground
In May this year, the show had just 5.2 million viewers— 2.3million fewer than Emmerdale attracted on the same night.
The show attracted a peak of 30 million viewers in the 80s, when Dirty Den (Leslie Grantham) gave Angie (Anita Dobson) divorce papers on Christmas Day.
Phil’s car crash is expected to be shown this autumn.

Perdita
29-07-2013, 07:28
EastEnders bosses have released dramatic spoiler pictures previewing Phil Mitchell's upcoming car accident.

As Digital Spy first revealed earlier this month, Phil will be left fighting for his life this autumn in one of the BBC soap's biggest ever stunts.

Steve McFadden has been filming the scenes on location this weekend alongside show newcomer Daniel Coonan, who plays bad boy Carl White.

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/30/618x388/soaps-eastenders-phil-crash-01.jpg

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/30/618x395/soaps-eastenders-phil-crash-02.jpg

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/30/618x394/soaps-eastenders-phil-crash-08.jpg

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/30/618x429/soaps-eastenders-phil-crash-09.jpg

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/30/618x403/soaps-eastenders-phil-crash-10.jpg

http://i1.cdnds.net/13/30/618x403/soaps-eastenders-phil-crash-11.jpg

Perdita
27-08-2013, 11:22
EastEnders star Steve McFadden has said he would be keen to see Ross Kemp return to the show.

Upcoming episodes of the soap see Phil involved in a horrifying car accident which will leave him fighting for his life.

The accident paves the way for Barbara Windsor (Peggy Mitchell) to arrive back in Walford for a one-off episode.

However, McFadden has backed Ross Kemp, who played Phil's brother Grant on and off from 1999 to 2006, to return to the show as well.

McFadden told the Radio Times: "I do remember somebody telling me that there had been a writers' meeting and it was tabled as to whether or not Phil could survive without Grant.

"I was surprised that they were thinking about this because I believed he could. But that's how much of a duo they were thought of.

"And while time has moved on and we've proved that Phil can survive on his own, I am up for Ross coming back. It would certainly be interesting."

Ratings for EastEnders have fallen in recent months, but McFadden insisted that he is not worried about the future of the show.

"It's not my problem, thank God. I wouldn't want that responsibility," he said.

"I think acting is like dancing: you bring in your clogs, do your dance and then finish and forget about it.

"I take the show seriously and commit to it 100%, but I don't get drawn into all that. I like the clarity of coming in and doing my bit."

Perdita
28-08-2013, 06:43
EastEnders kicks off a huge autumn for the Mitchell family next week as Phil's dramatic car crash airs.

Phil's life hangs in the balance after he teams up for a dodgy deal with Carl White (Daniel Coonan), who causes carnage by deliberately driving recklessly.

Here, Steve McFadden - who plays Phil - chats about the dramatic scenes, life at EastEnders and more.

We've all seen the tension between them, but what does Phil think of Carl?
"I don't think he's got the full measure of him yet. Phil just sees him as a wannabe, a young pretender that doesn't really scare him much at the moment. I think there's a bit more to Carl than he realises."

Phil agrees to join Carl on a dodgy deal because he needs the money. Is he desperate after losing £10,000 and being blackmailed by Shirley?
"Yes, Shirley's blackmailing him and he's not really bothered about it, but he wants to give Shirley money anyway so he acquiesces to her blackmailing."

Is this through guilt or love?
"It's a bit of both of those. Guilt and love because he feels bad about what happened with Heather and how he handled the whole thing with Ben. So Phil is trying to make it up to Shirley, but Shirley won't accept any of his help.

"Shirley wants it on her terms so Phil acquiesces to her way of doing it, and he would have done it anyway. If he had 10 grand to give her, he'd give her 10 grand and then he accepts it."

How do these car crash scenes compare to previous smash-ups?
"I haven't got the full picture - it's a bit like when we did 'Who shot Phil?' - I am just on the end of the food chain. I know it seems like I'm really intrinsically a part of it, but when it was 'Who shot Phil?' it was like all these people running round hiding in bushes and they were building all this plot up, but I really didn't know anything about it!

"With that story, all I did was open the door and go 'uh', and then suddenly I fell down the stairs, but I did have to lay on the freezing cold floor for hours. So I only really get snapshots of this big stuff, the actual hard stuff is when I am being an alcoholic and I am sinking or swimming by my own acting abilities! (Laughs.)

"Everyone said, 'Was it amazing? Was it this? Was it that?' I was like 'Get out, lay on a bonnet, come back in, get some more blood on me, lay on the bonnet, go back in…'"

Were you not involved in the stunts then?
"My family are involved in the stunt business - it's an area I respect and I would never put a stuntman out of a job or two, or try and do what they do, because what they do is a very skilled job. It's for them, not for me - it's their territory."

Do you think Phil is being foolish by getting into this car with Carl?
"No, he's going to make money which he needs to get Shirley her money. I described it as 'retail therapy' - crime for Phil is like therapy. Phil feels better about who he is and he becomes more of a man when he's done some crime, so it's kind of crime therapy for Phil and serves the purpose of getting Shirley sorted out."

Are we going to see you in a hospital bed for ages?
"Yes it's perfect! That's the other thing - I have had a really easy ride because all my scenes are shot in half a day in the hospital bed. So all my scenes of being in a hospital bed, I've done those episodes."

What are the ramifications of this crash on Phil?
"It weakens him - I think that's where he is now. He's weakened by these events and he's kind of very vulnerable and he's getting older! It's a bit like that Monty Python sketch where the guy is getting all his arms and legs chopped off, he's sort of soldiering on but having to dig deep, really."

Would you be sad to see Phil lose his status as King of the Square?
"No, I can play high status and I can play low status. If you've seen the crack stuff and the alcoholic stuff, you know I dig deep and go low. Then what they give you is the potential to rise again and then you get high and you go low again. That's soap and that's Phil, so you know if he's usurped it will give me a chance to come back and take back over.

"I am not hanging on to some alter ego of who Phil ought to be and insisting that he can't get turned over, because he should be turned over so he gets a chance to fight back. When you truly know someone and they lose it all, then they fight back from nowhere so you see the real strength of them then."

Do you wish Phil and Shirley would get back together?
"Well I'd love to see them together, but obviously I have been doing stuff with Letitia [Dean] who I equally like to work with. I do really love working with Linda [Henry], but it's up to the producers what they want to do. You know them getting together, that never happens anyway, things always go wrong!

"They've got an interesting relationship and I think there is a lot of love there that they've held onto even though they are not together anymore."

Have you ever had a storyline that you've found it hard to switch off from?
"It's harder to get into it than it is to let go. It only takes me 20 minutes to get here, but I used to leave home an hour before and drive round on my scooter and I wouldn't come in the car because I wanted to feel low down - driving around the M25 and up the A1 with a lorry overtaking you and the wind hitting you. You don't feel like 'Oh I am this big actor who's on the telly and I've made it'.

"So driving to work was even part of it, but as soon as they say 'cut' I am out of it. I let go completely and wonder what I'm doing at the weekend."

Have you ever been given a storyline and thought 'Phil would never do this'?
"I think that's one of the exciting things about doing this job - you never know what they're going to say as much as you disagree with it. And that's what I've also learnt, that some of the stuff that I've instinctively thought 'that's not very Phil like' has turned out to be some of the best stuff."

tammyy2j
06-10-2015, 15:13
EastEnders boss Dominic Treadwell-Collins has revealed that Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden) is in for some life-changing drama over the coming months.

"Phil is the one to watch," the executive producer told RadioTimes.com. "Phil has disappeared and everyone assumes that he's just gone off for a wander. Ben thinks it's all because of him. Sharon thinks that he's left her. But we know that Gavin has got him!"

Next week's episodes will see Kathy (Gillian Taylforth) reveal to son Ben (Harry Reid) that Phil has been kidnapped by her evil partner Gavin (Paul Nicholas) and that they now need to work out a way to rescue him.

Speaking about Phil's kidnap, Treadwell-Collins added: "What Gavin does to Phil while he's off screen will take Phil in a whole new direction that will run into next year. We talked about doing for Phil Mitchell what we did recently for Ian Beale."

The BBC1 soap's head honcho has previously revealed that Gavin is definitely not a man to be messed with. "Paul Nicholas has created the most manipulative and dangerous EastEnders baddie we've ever had. He makes Archie Mitchell look like a Care Bear," he said.

Despite having been shot twice and battled drug and alcohol addictions in the past, it looks like hard man Phil might well be lucky to come through this latest ordeal in one piece.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-06/phils-kidnap-ordeal-will-take-him-in-a-whole-new-direction-says-eastenders-boss-dominic-treadwell-collins

Dazzle
06-10-2015, 19:52
Speaking about Phil's kidnap, Treadwell-Collins added: "What Gavin does to Phil while he's off screen will take Phil in a whole new direction that will run into next year. We talked about doing for Phil Mitchell what we did recently for Ian Beale."

I wonder what on earth Gavin does to Phil that'll change him so much? Get him hooked on heroin? Torture him psychologically until he has a complete breakdown? Keep him in solitary confinement until he has a complete breakdown? Maybe I've been watching too much US TV... :D

maidmarian
06-10-2015, 22:16
Further info.recd

Perdita
26-10-2015, 07:39
EastEnders hardman Phil Mitchell will find himself on a very dark path this winter as he starts drinking again.

Phil returns home to Walford tonight (October 26) following his kidnap ordeal at the hands of Gavin Sullivan, but it soon becomes clear that his troubles are far from over.
http://i2.cdnds.net/15/42/618x415/soaps-eastenders-week-43-ep-5164-09.jpg
Phil struggles alone
© BBC
Phil struggles in this week's EastEnders episodes

Viewers have seen Phil (Steve McFadden) struggle with alcoholism in the past, but his old demons are now returning as he has consumed booze while being held captive by evil Gavin.

With the relapse having a big impact, it's not long before Phil leaves his son Ben shocked by begging him for more alcohol.

Harry Reid, who plays Ben, commented: "Ben has only seen bits of Phil drinking, back in the early years when Charlie Jones played Ben. Ultimately Phil is a strong man. In Ben's eyes, he's God! So when Ben sees that weak bit of Phil, it gives Ben a bit of backbone.

"Ben loves his dad and he's got to sort him out. Although he hasn't seen it much, he's heard about that part of Phil's life and what it means. There will be a reaction from Ben and he'll man up.

"You take a strong character like Phil and alcohol weakens him and brings him down, like a kick to the guts. That gives Ben some oomph to get him back on track."

Gillian Taylforth, who plays Kathy Beale, added: "The reason Phil has gone back to drinking you'll find out later - it's what Gavin did to him. Gavin is very cunning. He knows everyone's weakness and uses it. Gavin knows that drinking is Phil's weakness.

"Steve McFadden is fantastic, I have to say, in all the episodes onwards."

This week's tense EastEnders episodes are building up to an explosive Halloween special this Friday, which sees Gavin continue to pose a threat to several characters on the Square.

EastEnders' executive producer Dominic Treadwell-Collins explained: "Phil has escaped from Gavin but he's now a broken man and he begs Ben to get him booze, because he's already had some while he's been locked away by Gavin.

"This is the start of a massive storyline for Steve McFadden that will take us right the way through to Easter."

EastEnders airs its Halloween special on Friday (October 30) at 7.30pm on BBC One.

digitalspy

Perdita
16-11-2015, 18:29
Life looks set to get a whole lot worse for EastEnders hardman Phil Mitchell if these new pictures are anything to go by.

Steve McFadden, who plays Phil, was filming out on location today (November 16) and it seemed that his legendary character had hit rock bottom.

Swigging from a bottle of whiskey and making a scene out on the street, Phil appeared to be in a very sorry state.

These scenes won't air on our screens for a few weeks yet, so we'll have to stay tuned to find out what pushes Phil to the brink this time.
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/47/1280x853/gallery-1447692761-soaps-eastenders-phil-mitchell-drinking-2.jpg
Steve McFadden films EastEnders drinking scenes on location
© BBC
EastEnders fans have recently seen Phil confide in his son Ben about how he'd fallen off the wagon.

He drank booze last month during his kidnap ordeal at the hands of evil Gavin Sullivan, who skilfully exploited his alcoholism for his own gain.

With more family drama ahead for the Mitchells - include Ronnie's shock arrest for the murder of Carl White - it looks like Phil will struggle with the pressure of keeping his loved ones united.
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/47/1280x853/gallery-1447692880-soaps-eastenders-phil-mitchell-drinking-3.jpg
© BBC
EastEnders boss Dominic Treadwell-Collins recently teased: "This is the start of a massive storyline for Steve McFadden that will take us right the way through to Easter."

lizann
20-12-2015, 03:01
his liver is kaput he needs a new one

Dazzle
20-12-2015, 04:06

I doubt liver disease will bother Phil too much. This is the man that's survived three car accidents (soon to be four), being shot twice, a heart attack, crack addiction and countless beatings with nary a scratch or pause for breath. :D

Perdita
20-12-2015, 04:42

If he did, no doubt he would be on the donor`s list for no longer than 6 months ...

Perdita
20-12-2015, 07:02
EastEnders hardman Phil Mitchell will be diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver in a major new storyline.

Show bosses have teamed up with the British Liver Trust while working on the plot, which will see Phil (Steve McFadden) left devastated by his life-threatening diagnosis.

Phil has been struggling to control his drinking in recent weeks, after evil villain Gavin Sullivan locked him in a room with a bottle of scotch.

Now well and truly off the wagon again, Phil's drinking will continue to spiral out of control in upcoming episodes - building up to the shocking news about his health.

Andrew Langford, Chief Executive of British Liver Trust, commented: "Unfortunately Phil's alcohol-related health problems are not unique or that unusual. Currently in the UK we have an epidemic of liver disease and still the main cause of death from liver disease is alcohol related.

"It is the third leading cause of premature death in the UK, but is misunderstood and rarely considered in the way of other serious health conditions. So it's really important that EastEnders have chosen to tackle this serious problem.

"In the UK, the prevalence of liver disease has increased by over 400% in a generation, so it's fantastic that EastEnders have decided to highlight how people can quite literally drink themselves to death."

As well as exploring the impact on Phil, EastEnders' new storyline will focus on how his diagnosis affects his troubled family.
http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/15/47/1280x853/gallery-1447692880-soaps-eastenders-phil-mitchell-drinking-3.jpg
© BBC
Langford continued: "We all need to have a much better awareness of the damage alcohol is causing and consequently have a much more compassionate understanding of how and why Phil is causing himself so much harm and the devastating effect this is having on his wife, son and others.

"It is creditworthy that the EastEnders team have ensured that this is being portrayed as realistically as possible and have paid such attention to show how so many are affected when a family member has alcohol related liver disease."

Cirrhosis is when scar tissue replaces healthy tissue in the liver, preventing it from working properly. The illness can be fatal if it leads to liver failure.

Phil's hard-hitting storyline will begin on screen within the next few weeks.

storyseeker1
20-12-2015, 17:07
Sad that it usually comes to this before someone finally admits they have a drinking problem. Though I find it hard to feel sorry for Phil Mitchell, considering all he's done and all that he's apparently going to do in the next few weeks.

Perdita
05-02-2016, 06:08
Phil Mitchell is currently facing a very bleak future in EastEnders, but fans think they've figured out what's going to happen.

Phil's relentless drinking habit has finally caught up with him in recent weeks as he has been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver​.

Phil has been given less than a year to live, but a further tragic twist saw his mother Peggy also reveal that she was dying when she made an unexpected return last month.

With it seeming unlikely that both Phil and Peggy will be killed off this year, speculation has been rife on how the story will play out.

And bizarrely, many fans seem to think that Phil will end up with Peggy's liver as part of a 'dying wish'.

This scenario seems unlikely, notably due to the fact that Peggy has cancer and ​EastEnders​ has been working closely with the British Liver Trust to ensure an accurate portrayal of Phil's journey. But then again, stranger things have happened in Walford...

EastEnders continues tomorrow night at 7.30pm on BBC One.

Dazzle
31-03-2016, 15:17
This isn't article isn't strictly a spoiler, although it might give some indication of what action the police will take against Phil for his recent rampage. It's probably where the EE team (who famously take inspiration from news stories) got the idea from.

Landlord let off charges for smashing up his own pub with JCB

Police say they are powerless to charge Mark Swistun, 45, with wrecking seaside pub in the middle of the night

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03465/Royal_Oak_Pub_3465875b.jpg

A businessman who smashed up a pub with a JCB when he was refused a drink has been let off criminal charges - because he's the owner.

Furious Mark Swistun, 45, used the 28-ton digger to wreck the seaside pub in the middle of the night.

He was arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage to the Royal Oak pub in the Welsh fishing village of Penclawdd, Gower.

But police on Tuesday said they were powerless to charge him because he jointly owns the pub.

A police source said: 'At the end of the day the building belongs to him so he can do what he likes with it.

'We would have needed someone to make an official complaint about the damage he caused.

'No one came forward to do that.'

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03465/Mark-Swistun-smash_3465714b.jpg

Wealthy shellfish factory owner Swistun invested £60,000 into the pub along with his business partner Colin McDonald, 59, just a year earlier.

Swistun put in staff to run it while he and his friends became regulars at the pub, near Swansea.

But locals said Swistun left the pub after being refused a drink after the 11pm closing time.

Mark Swistun used a 28-ton digger to wreck a seaside pub in the middle of the night.

He returned at 1am at the controls of the huge yellow digger - causing an estimated £40,000 of damage in just a few minutes.

It steamrollered outdoor tables and umbrellas then crashed into the extension sending bricks and roofing tiles flying.

Swistun was arrested by South Wales Police on suspicion of criminal damage following the DIY demolition job on Sunday July 26.

But police confirmed he had been released without charge.

A local in the village said: 'It was a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

'But I suppose the police couldn't charge him because he owns the pub and he can do what he wants with it'

Swistun was unavailable for comment on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11915664/Landlord-let-off-charges-for-smashing-up-his-own-pub-with-JCB.html

:rotfl:

Rear window
01-04-2016, 13:11
he was drunk and injured someone...

Dazzle
01-04-2016, 15:17
he was drunk and injured someone...

But this is a soap and we know Phil won't receive any severe punishment. I guess Ritchie could argue he's an alcoholic and is now getting treatment (which will presumably be true). The property is his, and if Louise has no lasting damage (and it's already been said Lisa's nowhere to be seen to object), superRitchie may be able to get him off the hook.

Obviously I know that wouldn't be the case in real life. I hope the man in the Telegraph article I posted above would have been imprisoned if he'd injured someone during his rampage. Incidentally, I know the article doesn't mention it, but I imagine the man who destroyed his pub was drunk at the time since it's implied he was there drinking at closing time.

lizann
31-10-2016, 20:20
do you think he could get a liver of his dead cousins ronnie or roxy

Perdita
03-12-2016, 10:46
EastEnders' Phil Mitchell will devastate both his wife Sharon Mitchell and Jay Brown this Christmas as he drops yet another bombshell.

Things have been looking up for the Mitchell family in recent episodes following Phil's decision to go on the liver transplant list after all.

But everything will start to fall apart once again later in the month as Phil makes more decisions that have a huge impact on his loved ones.

With Sharon determined to give Phil the perfect family Christmas, she will start to crack under pressure of recent events - and turns to Jay for support.

However, the pressure grows when Phil drops a bombshell on Billy, and it doesn't take long for Jay to realise what's going on as well.

With Jay devastated by Phil's new decision, an unknowing Ben and Louise are left confused by their dad's sudden kind behaviour.

There appears to be a glimmer of hope when Phil later finds himself in the laundrette with Dot, who sees through his front and tells him he needs to carry on fighting.

Unfortunately, Dot's advice falls on deaf ears as Phil insists he's had enough and it's time for him to die, and back home, he places a present for Sharon under the tree and sneaks off.

When the Mitchells return from the Walford Christmas Show, Sharon realises what's going on and catches Phil as he tries to leave. But the upsetting shocks keep coming as Phil reveals he can't spend Christmas there and leaves, despite Sharon's best efforts to make him stay.

Having turned his back on a family Christmas, Phil is left to contemplate his actions and is given some tough love by his ex-partner Shirley Carter.

And after heading to Peggy's grave, Phil is greeted by a heavily pregnant Denise, who also shares some harsh words with him about his recent behaviour.

Sadly, Denise's attempts to get him to have a change of heart are unsuccessful as well when Phil becomes adamant that he's doing what's best for his family. But with Phil's health rapidly deteriorating, and time running out, will this be Phil's last Christmas?

EastEnders will air an hour-long special on Christmas Day at 9.30pm on BBC One.

Digital Spy

lizann
02-02-2017, 00:24
phil is more cut up over tony and his family than the deaths of ronnie and roxy

Dazzle
02-02-2017, 02:39
phil is more cut up over tony and his family than the deaths of ronnie and roxy

He's got a survivor's guilt thing going on about Tony which explains why he's uncharacteristically tormented by his death (however that doesn't explain his apparent lack of grief for R&R).

tammyy2j
02-02-2017, 13:53
I am not a fan of Tony's wife and hope Phil does not start an affair with her

Perdita
18-07-2017, 15:17
EastEnders fans don't have much longer to wait until Phil Mitchell's return as he's back in Albert Square next week.

Phil (Steve McFadden) has been recuperating abroad since January, but will be making his way back to Walford in upcoming episodes.

Fans will have to wait and see what exactly brings Phil home, but given that his daughter Louise is about to find herself in peril at the school prom – it's likely that it's connected to her.

Early spoilers promised us chaos at the teen's big night, but a subsequent trailer appeared to show Louise suffering a horror fall from a balcony after being pushed by Alexandra.

The extent of Louise's injuries (or whether she pulls through at all) are currently unknown, but it's certainly enough of an incentive to bring her protective dad home. Will Phil give Louise the support she needs? Or will he be seeking revenge for her ordeal?

Phil left Walford weak and exhausted having undergone a major transplant operation in order to save his life after being diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver a year beforehand.

Digital Spy

tammyy2j
08-10-2019, 15:16
Is he taking time off again for panto?

parkerman
08-10-2019, 15:37
Is he taking time off again for panto?

Yes, he's playing Captain Hook in Peter Pan at the Orchard Theatre, Dartford.

tammyy2j
09-07-2022, 00:03
Sharon looked real in her grief for his death

Did Keeble arrange the fake death?

lizann
24-07-2022, 17:43
kat and phil's wedding filming

lizann
30-05-2023, 00:49
steve taking panto time off

lizann
05-09-2023, 15:22