PDA

View Full Version : Just 12 Weeks Jail For Taking A 3 Year Olds Life

Luna
22-02-2006, 22:23
THE family of hit-and-run toddler Levi Bleasdale last night branded the law an "absolute disgrace" after the speeding driver who killed her was jailed for just 12 weeks.

Mum Kirsty was crossing the road with three-year-old Levi when uninsured Mohammed Aqueel Hussain ploughed into her in a stolen VW Golf. She said: "This is a nightmare.

"This sentence is nothing. He has taken my daughter's life. I'll serve a life sentence but he'll be scot-free in weeks."

Levi's grandfather Michael Ryan added: "We are all absolutely appalled. A few months ago someone who stole a teddy from a memorial site for Levi was sentenced to eight months in jail.

"Yet the person who killed her has only got three. It's a disgrace. You'd get more for shoplifting."

Hussain, 26, who has never taken a driving test, admitted careless driving and failing to stop after an accident or report it.

Advertisement

Magistrates could have jailed him for a maximum of six months - but opted for a 12- week term after hearing there was conflicting evidence over whether his driving had been erratic. But Michael insisted the family did NOT blame the magistrates and said the chairman of the bench was clearly upset that his hands were tied over sentencing.

Michael, 45, added: "He apologised for not being able to impose a harsher sentence. The only way of stopping this happening again is if the law is changed."

Currently offenders can only be fined for careless driving, even if they kill.

Proposed new laws will allow courts to jail motorists convicted of causing death by careless driving for up to five years. The measures, part of the Road Safety Bill, will also create a new offence of causing death when driving while unlicensed, disqualified or uninsured. It will carry a maximum two-year term.

Hussain is estimated to have been doing up to 48 mph in a 30mph zone when he hit Levi in Burnley. He sped away from the accident scene and hid out in a hotel.

Hussain, who had only a provisional licence, later told police he fled because he panicked. Levi, whose five-month-old sister Brogan was also crossing the road when the car struck, suffered multiple injuries.

Rachel Adamson, defending, said Hussain was filled with remorse. She added: "He will never forgive himself and prays for the child every day."

But after the hearing, Kirsty, 22, said Hussain's apology meant nothing.

"Because of him Brogan is never going to know her sister. I don't want his prayers or apologies. I want him to pay for what he has done."

Road safety charity Brake said the 12-week sentence was a travesty of justice.

Chief executive Mary Williams said: "There can be no more despicable crime than to leave a child dying in the road. And yet we get these utterly insulting and meaningless penalties."

Hussain could only have been given a maximum of six months in prison on the failing to stop or report an accident charges because that is the limit imposed at a magistrates court.

If the Criminal Prosecution Service had been able to charge him with dangerous driving he would have faced a crown court and up to 14 years in jail.

Hussain also admitted an unrelated charge of handling stolen goods. He was sentenced to four weeks jail.

Luna
22-02-2006, 22:23
thats a disgrace 12 weeks - what is our court system coming to

alan45
22-02-2006, 22:27
thats a disgrace 12 weeks - what is our court system coming toIf read in conjunction with your other thread about the fine for swearing and we can all see who's side justice is on :angry:

willow
22-02-2006, 22:34
that is just disgusting!!

he should have been locked up for years!!

Luna
22-02-2006, 22:36
and it also says the max he could have got was 6 months - that cant be right can it

stacyefc
22-02-2006, 23:59
that is terrible i can't beleive someone who stole a teddy got longer than the man who killed her. the law is mad.

Chloe-Elise
23-02-2006, 08:28
What is happening to the law in our country, its gone off the rails. Thats absolutely terrible, the poor little girls family :( . I would be devastated, he should be locked up for years :angry:

dragoneye454
23-02-2006, 09:00
I heard it on the radio. I was absolutely gobsmacked. Just 12 weeks and that poor family has to live the rest of their lives without that little girl.

Tori
23-02-2006, 09:02
thats awful.what is it coming to? swearing fines but then only a tiny sentence for someone. they want everyone through the system as fast as possible it seems

annaz
23-02-2006, 13:02
I'm so angry, that man should be locked up for years. He took someone's life, and only getting a year for it. -angry-

Jojo
23-02-2006, 13:05
This reminds me of the story this week of how a couple who had abused their child to the point where no bones in the baby's body weren't broken, was starved etc and the child had suffered an exremely painful death, walked free from court.

Something has to be done about our justice system because at the moment its making idiots out of all of us!! :angry: :angry:

Meh
23-02-2006, 13:13
What happened to Labours "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime"?

That man should have received a far stiffer sentence. Something like life.

The law really is an ass at times.

annaz
23-02-2006, 14:34
This reminds me of the story this week of how a couple who had abused their child to the point where no bones in the baby's body weren't broken, was starved etc and the child had suffered an exremely painful death, walked free from court.

Something has to be done about our justice system because at the moment its making idiots out of all of us!! :angry: :angry:

Someone who does that deserves to be on death row in my book :mad:

Siobhan
23-02-2006, 14:47

How is that possible? and yet there is people who get 3 months for not paying a fine or tv licence. Surely a childs life is worth more than that

Jojo
23-02-2006, 14:48
How is that possible? and yet there is people who get 3 months for not paying a fine or tv licence. Surely a childs life is worth more than thatI've just found the link too here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4733256.stm) It disgusts me :angry:

Siobhan
23-02-2006, 14:53
I've just found the link too here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4733256.stm) It disgusts me :angry:

it is this bit that gets me

John Charles Rees, defending Thomas, said: "He did not cause her death. He did not assault her. He was reckless rather than deliberate.

"Both he and Scott mistrusted social services and were misguided by youth and immaturity.

they are making them out to be the victims in this. Poor baby :crying: the child should never have been realised from hospital back into their care

Jojo
23-02-2006, 15:00
it is this bit that gets me

John Charles Rees, defending Thomas, said: "He did not cause her death. He did not assault her. He was reckless rather than deliberate.

"Both he and Scott mistrusted social services and were misguided by youth and immaturity.

they are making them out to be the victims in this. Poor baby :crying: the child should never have been realised from hospital back into their care
Tell me about it - surely anyone can see that a child with that many broken bones was deliberately hurt, how the heck can that be caused to a 4 month old baby accidentally :angry:

Siobhan
23-02-2006, 15:12
they claim that someone else could have inflicted the injuries but as parents how could you let that happen

Katy
23-02-2006, 15:14
its a complete joke, i dont get how those sentences can be good for society. How are the public protected. He didnt even have a lisence!.

The justice system is having a joke.

pookie1968uk
23-02-2006, 15:15
why because somebody kills a child while driving a car do they always get lenient sentences? it makes me so mad, the man had no insurance, never passed a test and just not long been out of jail. someone needs to sort this country out.

dddMac1
23-02-2006, 15:18
12 weeks thats a joke he should be locked up for the rest of his life

nicole28
23-02-2006, 15:26
Yes, it is totally unfair! A 3 year old? and just 12 weeks? Thats wrong :(

Emma-Lou
23-02-2006, 18:42
This is terrible 12 weeks for killing a three year old and alsothat fact he was also did not have a licence was speeding he should get a good couple of years at least.Waht is happening with the legal service.The mother and grandmother were on gmtv this morning and the grandmother said they are going to fight to get a longer sentence.

feelingyellow
23-02-2006, 20:35
3 months for taking some one's life? That is so unfair! The family deserves justice after the death and they don't even get much of it! :angry:

Abbie
23-02-2006, 23:00
is this real, it cnat be?! thats just worng