PDA

View Full Version : British pubs

chance
19-02-2006, 13:38
Can the traditional british pub survive?

Cornishbabe
19-02-2006, 15:12
yes they can especially in rural areas.

alan45
19-02-2006, 15:16
Of course they can with customers like me.

alkalinetrio
19-02-2006, 15:43
most that ive seen have been closing down all i see now is trendy bars and stuff like that

hazey
19-02-2006, 15:54
I like the traditionly pub, is starting to disappear,and this generation are more for the trendy bars and night clubs. I think they will still have the lunch time trade,but the image of people playing darts and dommino's and sitting by the open fire have sadly long gone,in most pubs.where I live years ago, it was the main horse and carriage route from London to Hounslow Heath and the high street alone had 91 pubs !!!.now there are about 6 traditional pubs and the rest, about 10 are the new trendy type.

pops110874
19-02-2006, 19:49
i dont think they will disappear off the face of the earth but they will definetly dwindle.

Between the smoking bans, cheaper booze in the superpubs and increases in overheads it will not be long before more and more pubs start to close.

Katy
20-02-2006, 14:45
i dont think they will theres loads of traditional ones near me, and everyone seems to go and enjoy it even younger people. There has been a decrease but there was way to many for a little area. I think That they will decline in the towns more than smaller towns and rural areas. City centres go for the younger trendy bar look.

Em
20-02-2006, 14:49
I think your more likely to find a traditional british pub abroad than over here!

Jojo
20-02-2006, 15:25
We have lots of small pubs here, in fact just in our small town, there are *counting* 6!! The only problem I have though, is if you don't regularly go in these pubs, everyone stares at you when you walk in as if to say "this is a pub for local people" and " this is our pub, get out!!" and they generally stare at you making you feel very uncomforable - which is a real shame

Katy
20-02-2006, 15:31
in my local area there is 7. all within close distance of each other there used to be two more but one was turned into flats and the other arsonists set on fire. as its quite a small town we dont have the regurlars issue as everyone mixes and matches where they go. there is one though that i think will close as its always empty as there all fairly old and its on a back street the younger generations go to the ones nearer the main roads.

Siobhan
20-02-2006, 15:32
There is some places in Ireland that have a street full of pubs and they all do well. We like our pubs over here, with or without the smoking ban

Katy
20-02-2006, 15:34
i know youcant beat a good irish pub. i know such a lot considering im only 16 and shouldnt have been in a pub legally anyway. i definalty did not do a pub crawl on friday night going to all 7 pubs in town. I think where i live there more bothered about how much money your going to spend.

Jojo
20-02-2006, 15:37
i know youcant beat a good irish pub. i know such a lot considering im only 16 and shouldnt have been in a pub legally anyway. i definalty did not do a pub crawl on friday night going to all 7 pubs in town. I think where i live there more bothered about how much money your going to spend.:eek: :nono: Naughty naughty - I have never done that!!! :rotfl:

Siobhan
20-02-2006, 15:49
i know youcant beat a good irish pub. i know such a lot considering im only 16 and shouldnt have been in a pub legally anyway. i definalty did not do a pub crawl on friday night going to all 7 pubs in town. I think where i live there more bothered about how much money your going to spend.

It is the same in Ireland, most of the landlords know everyone and how old they are but they don't care.