PDA

View Full Version : Corrie legend Mavis finds show "boring

Debs
12-02-2006, 11:50
Coronation Street legend Thelma Barlow isn't impressed by the current state of the show.

The actress, who played shop assistant Mavis Riley, has admitted that she doesn't ever want to return to the soap.

"It is so different from when I was there," Thelma told The People. "The show is so concentrated on the young, to get the young audience. Often nowadays actors are cast on what they look and sound like, not necessarily on their ability. I wonder how many of them actually go to the theatre?

"It is also exceedingly boring. You think, 'Who else can they sleep with? They've done the rounds now.' It seems that is all there is happening. It isn't just Coronation Street - it runs through the whole of TV and film. It's like there is nothing else in life but sex.

"I have been asked back to the Street but it has never been for a good storyline. Older members of the cast have very little to do anymore. They could deliver a storyline fantastically and it would be so attractive to have one involving the older people - a proper good storyline that went on for weeks."

DaVeyWaVey
12-02-2006, 12:29
I think Corrie is really good at the moment and i don't blame them for attracting a younger audience. I think that's what Corrie should do. I am only a teenager and i watch Corrie and must say it is attracting a younger audience with its storylines etc. I think the actress who played Mavis must realise that times have changed and Corrie is trying to reflect this.

Katy
12-02-2006, 12:32
i can understand where shes coming from but recently Rita has had a big storyline and Fred has as well in a way with Stacy and Everything. So i dont think that it always concentrates on the younger people.

alan45
12-02-2006, 13:08
Personally I think Corrie have got the blend just right between the old and young cast members. Mavis should stick to her old catchphrase ''Well I dont really know Rita''

Richie_lecturer
12-02-2006, 14:35
I think Corrie is really good at the moment and i don't blame them for attracting a younger audience. I think that's what Corrie should do. I am only a teenager and i watch Corrie and must say it is attracting a younger audience with its storylines etc. I think the actress who played Mavis must realise that times have changed and Corrie is trying to reflect this.
I agree. It's the same scenario with Jean Alexander (the legendary Hilda Ogden). Corrie had to change with the times to survive, so they cut the older cast down a bit, however the basic elements that Tony Warren put into the programme 46 years ago are still there today, which is why it has lasted this long on our screens.

If Thelma and Jean had their way we'd go back to the old Corrie, which great as it was, wouldn't stand the test of time today. I bet they haven't even watched the show lately, it certainly doesn't seem like it by the way they describe the soap.

LostVoodoo
12-02-2006, 15:57
one of the best things about Corrie is the mix of characters. you don't have many young people living on their own like in Hollyoaoks for example, they're mostly in families, which are what the show revolves around. there's only the odd person like Maria on their own. does she consider people like Frankie or the factory girls to be young?

dddMac1
13-02-2006, 16:15
i think corrie is really good at the moment

DaVeyWaVey
13-02-2006, 18:11
i think corrie is really good at the moment

I can't agree with you more :) It's only been recently that i have got into Corrie.